A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my GF junkies, our stay was short lived. :sad::sad::sad: DH woke up this morning and yes, we have discussed the construction many times and he is really not liking the whole construction thing. So we won't :sad::sad::sad: be staying at the GF this time. So we are staying at the YC instead. My other favorite.:cloud9: I am so going to miss the GF but we are definitely going to visit. I am upset but I completely understand that this vacation is for all of us. Not just me. :flower3:

Awww - so sorry!:hug: I know how much you were looking forward to being back at the Grand. I certainly understand the feeling about the construction, we felt the same. As I've mentioned, we would only stay at the GF during construction if there was a terrific discount, and at the moment it is decidedly not.:headache:

I'm glad YC is another favorite, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. SAB in the summer is so awesome!:banana:

Hope you'll continue to visit us, even though you are not staying at the GF this trip.:goodvibes

Hi all;
Been reading and appreciate all the info on the boards; so helpful as it has been a few years since our last visit.

I called at my 180 date to reserve kids club at the GF (we are staying there) while DH and I have our anniversary dinner at Citricos. They are not taking reservations because they say that it will be under renovations starting in Aug - or ending in August?? Obviously I did not understand him very well, LOL. Anyway, this is a big bummer for sure. Does anyone have any more info about the down time, where it is located, is/was the kids club (mousekeeters club) where the construction is happening?

Thanks!

Hi all;
Been reading and appreciate all the info on the boards; so helpful as it has been a few years since our last visit.

I called at my 180 date to reserve kids club at the GF (we are staying there) while DH and I have our anniversary dinner at Citricos. They are not taking reservations because they say that it will be under renovations starting in Aug - or ending in August?? Obviously I did not understand him very well, LOL. Anyway, this is a big bummer for sure. Does anyone have any more info about the down time, where it is located, is/was the kids club (mousekeeters club) where the construction is happening?

Thanks!
I can't answer your closure question, but I just want to suggest you make a reservation instead for the Neverland Club at the Poly.

Hi all;

Thanks!

Welcome!:goodvibes Thanks for the info on the kid's club closure, I'll have to add that to the first page.:thumbsup2

The Mouseketeer Club is right next to Gasaparilla's Grill & Games - about as far away from the construction of DVC as you can get on GF property. My guess is they are doing a renovation to update the facility, possibly not even related to the DVC construction.:confused:

I can't answer your closure question, but I just want to suggest you make a reservation instead for the Neverland Club at the Poly.

This is just what I was going to suggest, too.:) I know many DISers reserve the Poly kid's club while at the GF, and vice versa.

Thanks. I did make the reservation for the Neverland Club so that we have something, it is just not convenient to our plans and adds on more time than I wanted in order to drop off and pick up.
I have been weighing the pros and cons of staying during the construction, and just assumed that the GF would have made contingency plans for the kids club. So I am a little disappointed that they have not. At least with the spa closure I knew that going in prior to making my reservation and they are providing transportation. Any other hotel and I normally would not care... it is just the nicest hotel on property and having stayed there twice in the past, my expectations are naturally high. :)

Thanks. I did make the reservation for the Neverland Club so that we have something, it is just not convenient to our plans and adds on more time than I wanted in order to drop off and pick up.
I have been weighing the pros and cons of staying during the construction, and just assumed that the GF would have made contingency plans for the kids club. So I am a little disappointed that they have not. At least with the spa closure I knew that going in prior to making my reservation and they are providing transportation. Any other hotel and I normally would not care... it is just the nicest hotel on property and having stayed there twice in the past, my expectations are naturally high. :)

I understand your qualms, and don't blame you if you choose to book elsewhere during the construction.

My guess is they feel sending guests to the Neverland IS the contingency plan, if you get what I mean.:) It is quite close - if you have a rental car, it would only take about 5 minutes to get there, 5 to get back. If you take the boat over, maybe 20 minutes for the travel time, as you could boat over (Poly is next stop from boat dock), drop off at Neverland, monorail back (Citricos is down the hall from monorail station).

Sorry your plans are having to change, the construction is disrupting the resort for sure.:guilty:

CoachBagFanatic, sorry to hear you won't be staying at the GF this trip, however at least you are in another favorite resort. And you can go over to the GF and visit! :cloud9:

K&a&c'smom, I went to the link you provided for the Sago Cay 2 bedroom suite. That porch is AMAZING. Some day I am going to sit on that porch with all my DIS friends! You, pas and Lulu'smom get reserved chairs! I laughed when I saw the pictures of breakfast at the GFC, Shelly our favorite waitress was in the pictures. She has been there for years and we always request her.

beckysko, so excited for you for your trip. :cool1: Please, please let us know all about what suite you end up with! And if you are in a suite, you get access to CL. You will love it!

K&a&c'smom, I went to the link you provided for the Sago Cay 2 bedroom suite. That porch is AMAZING. Some day I am going to sit on that porch with all my DIS friends! You, pas and Lulu'smom get reserved chairs! I laughed when I saw the pictures of breakfast at the GFC, Shelly our favorite waitress was in the pictures. She has been there for years and we always request her.

Aren't Misti's photos amazing?! Love her shots, they are all beautiful.:cloud9:

I agree, that porch is something, I will be looking forward to my reserved chair.;) I was enchanted with her TPV room balcony - I'm not sure, but think I passed up a Sago Cay first floor room on our very first stay at the GF. I had requested a view of the castle (back when the TPV was luck of the draw) and an upper floor; when we checked in, I was disappointed they had assigned a first floor room, and asked to be moved. We ended up in Big Pine Key, which was great and we had a beautiful view of the lagoon, CR and castle, but I vaguely recall Sago was the building we were offered. When we grew more familiar with the resort, I kicked myself.:faint:

I do not remember the waitress you mentioned - you would think I would, we eat there at least once every trip! I'm bad about getting names of favorite servers, we rarely remember for future visits, phooey. I do recall our favorite serving team at V&A's, we've requested them several times.

Although we have never stayed at the BCV we have stayed at BLT. Background: We have stayed at the GF (RPC many times, SL 1 time and the YC CL (3 times). At first I was truly hesitant about staying at BLT but I have to tell you, we really enjoyed it and we did not feel that the vibe was any different. We stayed in 1 bdrm villa and we will be staying there again in 19 days after our GF RPC stay.

Maybe you should head over to the YC/BC thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932091 The posters over there are super helpful as well.

Thank you for the reassurance about staying DVC! And I have already done quite a bit of research on the YC/BC thread, which I agree is super helpful! I have just grown accustomed to the posters on this thread. ;) Have a great stay at the GF RPC and BCV! So jealous your trip is so soon!

We love BC, too!:goodvibes Tried it once in...2003?...and weren't wowed, but went back a couple summers ago and fell in love with the ambiance and proximity to Epcot and DHS.

We have not stayed on the villas side, but I know BCV23 loves it there, spends time there every trip, I think. If she is reading, I hope she'll pop in with her thoughts on the difference between the resort and villas.:thumbsup2

Thanks, k&a&c'smom! I would love to read about BCV23's experiences if she sees this. And I remember your posting that you love the BC. It was one of the first deluxe resorts that we ever visited and it was love at first sight. :love: We always visit the resort during each of our trips, but it has been too long since we've stayed there. I am definitely looking forward to experiencing it again as a resort guest.

Well, my GF junkies, our stay was short lived. :sad::sad::sad: DH woke up this morning and yes, we have discussed the construction many times and he is really not liking the whole construction thing. So we won't :sad::sad::sad: be staying at the GF this time. So we are staying at the YC instead. My other favorite.:cloud9: I am so going to miss the GF but we are definitely going to visit. I am upset but I completely understand that this vacation is for all of us. Not just me. :flower3:

I'm so very sorry that you don't get to stay at the Grand!! In reading some of your posts, I could feel how excited you were. :guilty:

I'm glad, though, that you love the YC and get to stay there instead. It will still be a wonderful vacation for you. :thumbsup2

And when you get to go back to the GF to stay in the future, she will be in tip top shape once again!

:cloud9:

No - all suites are NOT located only in all club buildings. You have to walk over to either the SL lounge or the main bldg. lounge from the suites in other outer buildings. As I mentioned above, the Everglades Suite is in Conch Key (not a club level building) and the Cape Coral is in Sago Cay (not a club building). There are various one and two bedroom suites located in all the outer buildings - you could be placed in any one of the outer buildings.

If the room description for your suite does not include the words "One BR Suite - Sugar Loaf" then you will be in one of the non-CL buildings.:)

Ahhh okay, I understand now. Well who knows! I will definitely fill you in on what we end up with. The reservation (through DH's work) just included the reservation number, no other info. It will be a Grand Surprise :) What do you think would be the ideal location for a room? I was thinking I would like the main building the most - seems close to everything? We have an almost-8-month-old so there will be a lot of back and forth with the stroller from the monorail.

beckysko, so excited for you for your trip. :cool1: Please, please let us know all about what suite you end up with! And if you are in a suite, you get access to CL. You will love it!

Thanks! I am sooooe excited, you can't even imagine (well maybe you can!) I will take lots of pictures of everything - they have the hospitality suite booked, so I can get a photo of that - I could probably get DH to take some phots of the conference building if anyone was interested in that too!

WDWKOOK, thanks for the instructions about using Snapbucket. I've downloaded for next trip. :goodvibes

Thanks, k&a&c'smom. I'll try to help mariamouse. We love BCV but stay in a one or two bedroom other than some single nights in a studio at the beginiing of a trip. We've only done that studio at the beginning twice I think. Anyway, the building itself is delightful. Very convenient to the main building but the separation makes it seem much quieter to me. The hallways also seem more spacious. I should measure someday. :rotfl: The "quiet" pool is large and peaceful. Lots of tables and lounge chairs. You can order room service there if you like. There is a laundry room which you can use for free although you will need your room key to access it. Detergent and softener are sold in single boxes but you can bring your own, of course.

Studios are about the size of a regular room at Y&BC but have one queen bed, a queen sleeper, coffee table and another table with two chairs. The refrigerator is an under the counter type and therefore larger than those in regular rooms. It does have a small freezer section, too. The decor is very different from the BC rooms right now. Both the villa and resort rooms were renovated a couple years back. BC rooms have totally new decor with white duvets as you may know. The villas still have bedspreads. The look is supposed to be that of a beach house on the shore so it's a relaxed and cheery look. Oh, and self parking is very close to the building....a huge bonus for our family. If you have any other questions, ask away.

pas, congrats on RPC! :cool1:

CoachBagFanatic, I'm so sorry to learn of your change. However, YC and BLT do make for a great split and I'm glad it's another favorite of yours. I love it, too.

beckyso, sounds so exciting. Can't wait to see your photos.

gr8vthsfam, it's hard to imagine that the DVC construction could have anything remotely to do with the renovation of the kid's club. They're not remotely close to each other. Now, if the club is permanently closing, it would be a different story. Have you ever looked in the club. It's just a small rectangular room. The Neverland Club at the Polynesian seems to be preferred by most kids. I understand the convenience factor though. Perhaps arranging for child care in your room would work better for you?

Jungle Cruiser and Lulu'smom, hope you are both feeling well.

Hi to everyone else on this friendly thread! :flower3:

Thanks, k&a&c'smom. I'll try to help mariamouse. We love BCV but stay in a one or two bedroom other than some single nights in a studio at the beginiing of a trip. We've only done that studio at the beginning twice I think. Anyway, the building itself is delightful. Very convenient to the main building but the separation makes it seem much quieter to me. The hallways also seem more spacious. I should measure someday. :rotfl: The "quiet" pool is large and peaceful. Lots of tables and lounge chairs. You can order room service there if you like. There is a laundry room which you can use for free although you will need your room key to access it. Detergent and softener are sold in single boxes but you can bring your own, of course.

Studios are about the size of a regular room at Y&BC but have one queen bed, a queen sleeper, coffee table and another table with two chairs. The refrigerator is an under the counter type and therefore larger than those in regular rooms. It does have a small freezer section, too. The decor is very different from the BC rooms right now. Both the villa and resort rooms were renovated a couple years back. BC rooms have totally new decor with white duvets as you may know. The villas still have bedspreads. The look is supposed to be that of a beach house on the shore so it's a relaxed and cheery look. Oh, and self parking is very close to the building....a huge bonus for our family. If you have any other questions, ask away.

Thank you so much for the information, BCV23! It is really helpful and I am glad to hear so many great things about the villas. So excited! :goodvibes Do you remember whether or not the studio kitchenettes include a toaster?

Hello, everyone!:wave2: I posted more photos this morning - quite a few in the "Buildings" post (post #12) and some in the "Interior" section (post #7).

beckysko - an upgrade to a main building suite would be wonderful, wouldn't it?!pixiedust: If you end up in an outer building, just about any of them would be good for various reasons (proximity to bus, boat or pools) but Conch is closest to the Sugar Loaf lounge.:thumbsup2

We'd love to see any photos you manage to snag! Looking forward to your report.:goodvibes

BCV23 - :wave: So glad you were able to post your BCV experiences for mariamouse! I know it isn't technically GF related, but with the GFV rooms soon available, everyone is probably interested in your descriptions of the differences - I know I am!:teacher:

You make a great suggestion for the babysitting in the room, I always forget about that service.:thumbsup2

pas, congrats on RPC! :cool1:
Thank you ! Only 110 days to go or 109....this one won't change :cloud9:

:hug: I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling. A MK/Epcot split...perfecto! And the Grand is there for a future trip!!! Plus from BLT you are just 2 monorail stops from a visit! :goodvibes

Some day I am going to sit on that porch with all my DIS friends! You, pas and Lulu'smom get reserved chairs!
That sounds AMAZING! :grouphug:

Yes, the studio will have a toaster as well as a small coffeepot. I've read that you can request a full size one if you want. I think they used to be full size?? :confused3 There will be four ceramic mugs, four glasses and a few paper plates and plastic silverware....enough for four I suppose.

Have fun!

So many of us posted at the same time!:goodvibes I was composing and editing, missed some as usual.:blush:

pas, I laughed at your "only 110 days to go"!;)

Hi! I have several practical questions for the GF experts, please. This is our first time staying here, and then back to moderates five years from now. Its me (49), DH(49) DD (22), and DD (18).. her graduation trip.
BEVERAGES: Can the fridge accomodate an open bottle of wine standing up with the cork in, a 2 liter soda, a quart of orange juice, 6 bottles of water and 6 Sam Adams? Are the refillable mugs for juice or milk, or just coffee, tea, and soda?Should a bring my own coffee for the coffee maker? DH only drinks decaf. I only drink regular.
STORAGE: Even with mostly shorts and tshirts, I know four adults will be crowded. Willwe be able to unpack much or will we somewhat still be living out of suitcases? Everyone is limited to one bag anyway, since we are driving down in my Prius.:eek: Should I bring extra hangers to assist with clothing storage? There dont appear to be a lot a drawers. Does anything go under the bed or is it closed off?
ROOM REQUEST Like everyone else I am concerned about construction but determined not to let it bother me too much. We have a garden view room. Is this Ok for a room request? "We would like to request a non-dormer room with a full size balcony with a non-construction pool or resort view. " I've written this five times and it still sounds hokey and vague. Help! We actually live near the water so marina-side view is not preferable for us. I want to sit on the balcony and see some of those great GF red roofs!
THANKS !!!:

Hi! I have several practical questions for the GF experts, please. This is our first time staying here, and then back to moderates five years from now. Its me (49), DH(49) DD (22), and DD (18).. her graduation trip.
BEVERAGES: Can the fridge accomodate an open bottle of wine standing up with the cork in, a 2 liter soda, a quart of orange juice, 6 bottles of water and 6 Sam Adams? Are the refillable mugs for juice or milk, or just coffee, tea, and soda?Should a bring my own coffee for the coffee maker? DH only drinks decaf. I only drink regular.
STORAGE: Even with mostly shorts and tshirts, I know four adults will be crowded. Willwe be able to unpack much or will we somewhat still be living out of suitcases? Everyone is limited to one bag anyway, since we are driving down in my Prius.:eek: Should I bring extra hangers to assist with clothing storage? There dont appear to be a lot a drawers. Does anything go under the bed or is it closed off?
ROOM REQUEST Like everyone else I am concerned about construction but determined not to let it bother me too much. We have a garden view room. Is this Ok for a room request? "We would like to request a non-dormer room with a full size balcony with a non-construction pool or resort view. " I've written this five times and it still sounds hokey and vague. Help! We actually live near the water so marina-side view is not preferable for us. I want to sit on the balcony and see some of those great GF red roofs!
THANKS !!!:

Welcome!:yay: Congrats to your DD on her graduation, how wonderful she will get to celebrate at the Grand.:cloud9:

I'll try to help with your questions.:)

1) No. Sorry to be so blunt, but the fridge is quite small and will not fit anywhere near the amount or size of drinks you are describing. There is a photo on the first page, post #8 - I thought I posted one of the open fridge, but didn't, I'll see if I can find one for you. It is quite shallow, and there is a small shelf. We have put a large bottle of water in there, but on its side, it would not stand up.

We rarely buy the refillable mugs, so hopefully those who do can answer those questions more fully. I don't remember being able to fill with juice or milk - I checked my Gasprarilla's photos on the first page and only see a dispenser for coffee creamer.

We don't use the in room coffee maker much, either, but I believe they provided both decaf and regular coffee.

2) No need to bring hangers, the resort will provide as many as you need, simply call housekeeping when you get to the room and tell them how many you would like.

Not a lot of drawers, one of the drawbacks of the room renovations of 2007!, but we hang as much stuff as we can and just put underclothes and socks in the drawers. I assign one per person if we have more than just DD and me.:)

The beds do not have room under, we put our suitcases on the shelf in the closet. If there is not enough room there, you can use the space under the counter with sinks in the dressing area - there is a photo in the "Rooms" section of the first page, post #8 (first photo). Friends have commented they put a suitcase behind the chair, which you can see in the photos as well.

3) For request, I always keep it simple, not too wordy. Usually, I ask for "non-dormer, upper floor, Conch Key" or whatever building. If we are in club level, the building is already decided, so I usually ask for "non-dormer, upper floor, no connecting door"!

No reason to specify "full balcony" as all garden view rooms have a full balcony or patio.:thumbsup2 The dormer rooms have an enclosed dormer balcony, but you already have "non-dormer" in your request, so I wouldn't waste the space. It is rumored the assigners don't like too many descriptors in one request.;) Conch Key or Boca Chica would be great for you, if you prefer to have a view of the courtyard and other buildings.

HTH!:flower3: If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, we'll try to help.

ETA: I couldn't find the GF fridge photo right away, but here is one of the BC - same refrigerator!
IMG_1244.jpg

Here's an open refrigerator photo from the GF, it does seem taller than the BC fridge, but still not deep enough for much. It is not very cold, either.:(

IMG_0896.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter