A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Back PAS!! Glad your trip was wonderful, And Congrats on RPC in September!! :wizard:

JC--- beautiful picture! I'd swim that far to get to the Grand!:cloud9:

-------------

I just sent IPO my dining requests for December. I've never given up control of them before, so I'm having a bit of a time not wanting to send a note back saying, "I was only kidding, I'll do it myself".:eek:

The Epcot restaurants in December, it seems, are not allowing a lot of general bookings due to the Candlelight Processional Packages, so hopefully IPO will be able to book easier than me.
I'm hoping, anyway.

Welcome Back PAS!! Glad your trip was wonderful, And Congrats on RPC in September!! :wizard:

-------------

I just sent IPO my dining requests for December. I've never given up control of them before, so I'm having a bit of a time not wanting to send a note back saying, "I was only kidding, I'll do it myself".:eek:

The Epcot restaurants in December, it seems, are not allowing a lot of general bookings due to the Candlelight Processional Packages, so hopefully IPO will be able to book easier than me.
I'm hoping, anyway.

Thanks!!! :hug: And a little :tinker: for all your ADRs...LOL about telling IPO nevermind..that would be me :laughing:

coachbagfanaticpacking my friend :goodvibes

PAS---:rotfl2: I'm so resisting the urge to not send that note- Driving myself crazy! Thanks for the Pixie Dusting!!:hug:

PAS---:rotfl2: I'm so resisting the urge to not send that note- Driving myself crazy! Thanks for the Pixie Dusting!!:hug:

Stay strong...it's the Grand IPO..they got this :goodvibes

bethclayton So sorry :hug: No need to reply, sending well wishes..there is always hope..always. Hope your pain is a bit more tolerable :sick:

So I used online check in the other day even tho we are staying CL, Im intrested to see if there will be any difference.. Like wondering if room will be ready or if check in as a whole will just be faster, or if they still take us to the CL desk..

I know last June I did online check in at CBR(hated CBR) and we checked in at 730 am and our room was ready! Check in was very fast, we were shocked! KTTK were already printed, room assigned, packets put together..The only good thing about that stay..lol

coachbagfanaticpacking my friend :goodvibes

Oh RPC for your September trip. That's a :woohoo::yay::banana::yay::woohoo: for you guys.

Surprisingly, no packing yet.:sad2: DH won't bring the suitcases out of storage yet as I told him about the LMPC.:lmao: So with his help, I am sticking to it. So far.:laughing:

I am cheating a little as I have outfits together already hanging in my closet. I can't resist. He doesn't pay attention to that stuff.:rotfl:

So I used online check in the other day even tho we are staying CL, Im intrested to see if there will be any difference.. Like wondering if room will be ready or if check in as a whole will just be faster, or if they still take us to the CL desk..

I know last June I did online check in at CBR(hated CBR) and we checked in at 730 am and our room was ready! Check in was very fast, we were shocked! KTTK were already printed, room assigned, packets put together..The only good thing about that stay..lol

We did online check in...love online check in. Our room was ready 1130am, folder ready with KTTW cards. Brought right to our room...IMO the experience was just as magical :cloud9: I know it isn't necessary but I just love checking in from home :yay:

Oh RPC for your September trip. That's a :woohoo::yay::banana::yay::woohoo: for you guys.

Surprisingly, no packing yet.:sad2: DH won't bring the suitcases out of storage yet as I told him about the LMPC.:lmao: So with his help, I am sticking to it. So far.:laughing:

I am cheating a little as I have outfits together already hanging in my closet. I can't resist. He doesn't pay attention to that stuff.:rotfl:

:laughing: Not cheating...organizing...yeah organizing...you must be dying :hug: Can't wait to hear all about your stay!!!!!

Would you say it's quicker when going to Epcot to ride the bus or monorail to ttc and then to Epcot?

Or do you think it's quicker ride monorail to poly and walk to ttc and catch monorail to Epcot?

So we just booked a studio at the BCV for our next trip in late January. :cool1: I am SO excited, but am almost sad that we are not staying at the GF instead just because I love planning with all of the awesome posters on this FAQ so much! All of you are ridiculously helpful and friendly, which is a large part of the reason why I had so much fun planning our Dec 2012 GF trip! Can't I just transform this into a BC FAQ so that all of you can answer my questions? ;)

I must admit that I am a bit nervous about staying at a DVC property for the first time... is the vibe a lot different than staying in the actual resort? We have been so spoiled at the deluxe resorts over the years. Regardless, I am excited to return to my beloved BC after neglecting it for over ten years! And, of course, I look forward to visiting the beautiful GF as well. :goodvibes

I must admit that I am a bit nervous about staying at a DVC property for the first time... is the vibe a lot different than staying in the actual resort? We have been so spoiled at the deluxe resorts over the years. Regardless, I am excited to return to my beloved BC after neglecting it for over ten years! And, of course, I look forward to visiting the beautiful GF as well. :goodvibes

Although we have never stayed at the BCV we have stayed at BLT. Background: We have stayed at the GF (RPC many times, SL 1 time and the YC CL (3 times). At first I was truly hesitant about staying at BLT but I have to tell you, we really enjoyed it and we did not feel that the vibe was any different. We stayed in 1 bdrm villa and we will be staying there again in 19 days after our GF RPC stay.

Maybe you should head over to the YC/BC thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932091 The posters over there are super helpful as well.

The GF is our favorite resort and we are super excited to be going back.:woohoo:

Hi GF lovers!

We are travelling in a couple of weeks to Disney, can't wait!! We are staying off site at a villa for the first 5 days and then GF for the last 2 days. This is something my Mom has always wanted to do. It's her 77th birthday and I thought this would be a great present! I just surprised her yesterday and let her know we would be at the GF for the end of the trip. She's really looking forward to it.

Here's my question. We have paid for a Garden View room (outer bldg). Mom has a heart issue and gets tired easily while walking. We will be using a wheelchair in the parks but not at the resort. When asking for a request for the room, what building is closest to the main building? or what's a good location to get tothe boat/monorail?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks!:flower3:

Hi GF lovers!

We are travelling in a couple of weeks to Disney, can't wait!! We are staying off site at a villa for the first 5 days and then GF for the last 2 days. This is something my Mom has always wanted to do. It's her 77th birthday and I thought this would be a great present! I just surprised her yesterday and let her know we would be at the GF for the end of the trip. She's really looking forward to it.

Here's my question. We have paid for a Garden View room (outer bldg). Mom has a heart issue and gets tired easily while walking. We will be using a wheelchair in the parks but not at the resort. When asking for a request for the room, what building is closest to the main building? or what's a good location to get tothe boat/monorail?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks!:flower3:

Welcome!:goodvibes How wonderful you are giving your mom such a lovely present, I think you will love the GF.:cloud9:

The boat, bus and monorail are in different directions, so no room will be close to all three. Take a look at the map on the first page; the monorail station is in the main building, the boat dock near Conch Key and Narcoossee's. The bus stop is out the front of the main building, near the Convention Center.

The closest non-club level building to the main building is Big Pine Key. Problem is, this is the building that is also closest to the DVC construction!:guilty: One side of the building overlooks the construction, while the other side faces the courtyard pool - in the past, the courtyard pool was a great view, but they have moved the pool activities from the beach pool to courtyard, so it is noisier in the afternoon/evening. The movie by the pool is also located here, so there will be some noise from around 1 p.m. until the end of the movie.

You could request a room near the boat dock, with a marina view if you want to avoid the noise. Conch Key is my favorite for overall location. You would be close to the courtyard pool, boat dock, Narcoossee's and the marina/Gasparilla's out the back door. Boca Chica is also close to the boat dock, courtyard pool and Narcoossee's, but garden views would put you over the pool. Sago Cay is a good choice, it will be away from the construction and pool noise, and is close to the bus stop and Gasparilla's.

Good luck, I hope this info helps some.:flower3: If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

So we just booked a studio at the BCV for our next trip in late January. :cool1: I am SO excited, but am almost sad that we are not staying at the GF instead just because I love planning with all of the awesome posters on this FAQ so much! All of you are ridiculously helpful and friendly, which is a large part of the reason why I had so much fun planning our Dec 2012 GF trip! Can't I just transform this into a BC FAQ so that all of you can answer my questions? ;)

We love BC, too!:goodvibes Tried it once in...2003?...and weren't wowed, but went back a couple summers ago and fell in love with the ambiance and proximity to Epcot and DHS.

We have not stayed on the villas side, but I know BCV23 loves it there, spends time there every trip, I think. If she is reading, I hope she'll pop in with her thoughts on the difference between the resort and villas.:thumbsup2

Would you say it's quicker when going to Epcot to ride the bus or monorail to ttc and then to Epcot?

Or do you think it's quicker ride monorail to poly and walk to ttc and catch monorail to Epcot?

No point in taking the monorail from the GF to the Poly and walking to TTC - the TTC stop is before the Poly from the GF.;) You could, of course, walk to the Poly and then to the TTC, for some it seems to be an option. (not me, lol) For us, riding to the TTC and catching the Epcot monorail is pretty simple.

Is there still a bus to the TTC from the resorts? I don't remember seeing one in recent years.

I think I must be the only one who is having bad luck with online check in.:headache: I've tried three times, and each time it has gotten worse!:scared: First time was at AKL; we stood in line forever, waiting behind one family, no CM at the monitor. Regular check in CMs nearby, ignoring us while having no one to wait on. After nearly 30 minutes, someone appeared from the back and seemed surprised to see a long line at the online check in counter! We all thought the first family were waiting for a question to be answered, turned out no one had waited on them.

Second and third attempts were at GF. Not much better, no one manning the online check in monitor, regular check in CMs without anything to do but did not come over to ask if we needed help. Those trips, I didn't wait 30 mintues, but gave it 5 or so then asked for help from regular check in. They had a terrible time, as they apparently aren't set up to deal with the online packets. Third time, some of my info was wrong (even though I entered it from home!) and we had to get a manager to fix it - took forever!

I give up - no online check in for me.:laughing: Kind of sad, as everyone loves doing it, feels like the trip is nearly here.

Thanks K&A&C's Mom! Appreciate the help!

I'll just let them know we need to be somewhere close to either the bus OR monorail OR boat. and then take it from there. Really appreciate you taking the time to help out!!

We are so excited! Can't believe we are going to be staying there. We always go for tea at the tea room and now we get to actually stay there too. yay!

Take care! :)

I'm going through the room descriptions - would you say that all the suites are either in Sago Key or in the Main building? I'm trying to figure out where our room will be :)

DH refuses to question the girl who booked the conference rooms, for fear of her realizing that she booked us an awesome suite by mistake (she said a suite was cheaper than 2 adjoining regular rooms for the conference rate...).

I also told DH that all the suites are 'club level' so we'll get all those perks (read: free snacks!) and he refuses to believe me and says I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I am excited regardless...started packing the baby's suitcase today! My sister (20) already packed!

beckysko - I'm pretty sure there are one and two bedroom suites in all the outer buildings! Do you have a one bedroom outer bldg. suite? That would definitely be the one that is less than 2 rooms - the 2 BR suites start at $2,000 per night and go up, depending on season. Same with most main building suites.

The Everglades Suite (2 BR) is in Conch Key, and the Cape Coral Suite is in Sago Cay(2BR) - here is a link to a previous thread where Misti posted some photos of the Cape Coral. Scroll down to post #577: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2158108&page=39

I'll post a link to the WDW website descriptions of the suites, which clearly state each one is entitled to club level benefits. If that doesn't convince your DH, I guess he'll get a pleasant surprise when you arrive.;) http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/rates-rooms/ Suite descriptions start about halfway down the page, after "Main building - Deluxe King Room - Club Level".:flower3:

beckysko - I'm pretty sure there are one and two bedroom suites in all the outer buildings! Do you have a one bedroom outer bldg. suite? That would definitely be the one that is less than 2 rooms - the 2 BR suites start at $2,000 per night and go up, depending on season. Same with most main building suites.

The Everglades Suite (2 BR) is in Conch Key, and the Cape Coral Suite is in Sago Cay(2BR) - here is a link to a previous thread where Misti posted some photos of the Cape Coral. Scroll down to post #577: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2158108&page=39

I'll post a link to the WDW website descriptions of the suites, which clearly state each one is entitled to club level benefits. If that doesn't convince your DH, I guess he'll get a pleasant surprise when you arrive.;) http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/rates-rooms/ Suite descriptions start about halfway down the page, after "Main building - Deluxe King Room - Club Level".:flower3:

I know it's really hard to get a straight answer about the suites (save from calling GF I suppose...), but if all suites are club, then they can only be in the buildings that have club concierge right (so the main building and Sugarloaf?) What we have is a 1 bdrm suite - so it has a bedroom on one side, and adjoining to it is a room with a couch. There is a door between the two rooms, and there are 2 bathrooms.

I know it's really hard to get a straight answer about the suites (save from calling GF I suppose...), but if all suites are club, then they can only be in the buildings that have club concierge right (so the main building and Sugarloaf?) What we have is a 1 bdrm suite - so it has a bedroom on one side, and adjoining to it is a room with a couch. There is a door between the two rooms, and there are 2 bathrooms.

No - all suites are NOT located only in all club buildings. You have to walk over to either the SL lounge or the main bldg. lounge from the suites in other outer buildings. As I mentioned above, the Everglades Suite is in Conch Key (not a club level building) and the Cape Coral is in Sago Cay (not a club building). There are various one and two bedroom suites located in all the outer buildings - you could be placed in any one of the outer buildings.

If the room description for your suite does not include the words "One BR Suite - Sugar Loaf" then you will be in one of the non-CL buildings.:)

Well, my GF junkies, our stay was short lived. :sad::sad::sad: DH woke up this morning and yes, we have discussed the construction many times and he is really not liking the whole construction thing. So we won't :sad::sad::sad: be staying at the GF this time. So we are staying at the YC instead. My other favorite.:cloud9: I am so going to miss the GF but we are definitely going to visit. I am upset but I completely understand that this vacation is for all of us. Not just me. :flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter