A Full Go on Riviera Resort

Just my .02 cents but I see the Towers becoming the incredibly new hard to get AKV value studios.

My DH and I (no kids this trip!) are staying at SSR in April for a MM event. We decided to go last minute, and I had to watch for any studio to open up because we decided to go a couple of weeks ago. I thought about waitlisting a tower studio at RIV, but it was more than the standard studio at SSR. Yikes! I knew RIV was pricey, but that really showed me the difference when looking to stretch points.

Oh, and I’m using my VGF points to stay at SSR, but that’s what happens when you look 3.5 months out?!? ;) We’ve never stayed there, so I’m actually looking forward to it. FTR, the tower studio hasn’t shown up as available in the last few weeks that I’ve been watching.

I did a lot of research on Riviera before my recent trip and looked closely at the financial advantages and disadvantages of buying there direct, with my financial advisor (aka my very financially savvy sister who has owned DVC for longer than me). We decided that based on my long term plans and typical needs when traveling to WDW, it could make sense to buy a 150 point contract direct for Riviera. (I already own at AKL.)

I was very excited to tour the facility, and when I did, I was generally impressed. I will tell you what I liked:
1. Location on the Skyliner and easy access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios;
2. Everything in one building;
3. The (subtle but still Disney) theming and decor;
4. Great signature restaurant;
5. Length of contract (and it’s new).

What I didn’t like:
1. Rooms feel small, and I suspect our prefer room type will be hard to get so we’ll probably need to buy 200 points instead of 150;
2. The Skyliner - one night when it rained, we got wet and it was just kind of scary being in there in inclement weather;
3. The location - you can’t walk to any of the parks and you are literally surrounded by the Caribbean Beach Resort (it’s just weird);
4. The pools are kind of small; and
5. There’s no spa.

I think for the points they are charging certain amenities should be better.

I am still on the fence about it given the things I don’t like. I think a smaller contract at Riviera works if you already own elsewhere. Otherwise, I’m not sold on it (literally and figuratively).

We currently own at BLT as it was a perfect fit when our kids were young and were comfortable in a 1BR. We now find ourselves spending more and more time in the Epcot / HS area and wanting a 2BR, and thus more points. We just returned from a trip where we stayed at BWV thinking we would love it there (using our BLT points). We spent some time over at BCV as well to see if we could settle on one of those resorts (buying resale), thinking their walking distance to 2 parks set them aside. In short, we were underwhelmed. To say these resorts are tired is an understatement. The bathrooms need full gutting. The soft goods do their best to cover what is inevitable. I guess you can only paint so many times before you need to redo the trim, walls, etc. I guess this is the life of a timeshare and eventually BLT will end up in the same spot. Perhaps our expectations for timeshares are too high? I can see us selling BLT when the condition deteriorates to this level and will buy into a newer MK DVC when the time comes…

Then we toured Rivera, which for sure I went in thinking I would hate given what I’ve read on this board (my trusted source for all things DVC). Bottom line, this board loves BWV and BCV far more than Riviera, and I made my opinion (and reservations) based on that.

I was wrong.

We took the tour and 2 other visits to the Riviera resort during the week for meals. We were blown away.

Lets start with the lobby, its impressive. For Disney – It’s a high end feel, from the furniture to the flooring and general design/layout. I didn’t like the small staircase from the ground level to the lobby, and the carpet appears worn already. This concerned us as the first thing we saw coming in from the skyliner (which we liked, more on that later). Not a reason to turn around and head back to BWV, but something that we looked at each other and just said “why?”

Restaurants – we ate at the quick service (Primo Piatto) and found it much better than Contempo Cafe at BLT. We wanted to hit Topolino’s but it didn’t fit within our schedule. We liked that you can access everything from within the resort and not needing to go outside to get food, coffee, etc.

Transportation – We rode back to Riviera on the Dedicated bus from MK just to give it a shot (after taking a Minnie van to MK from BWV). Everyone had a seat on the bus (this is the week between Xmas and New years as a reminder). We wondered if it had something to do with the resort size and having a dedicated bus or if the resort was only half filled? Not sure. We loved the skyliner. Rode it 10X or more. While any new transportation system will have its kinks in the early days, we trust that the reliability will go up. This is a gamble, but I believe its going to pay off as they learn how to optimize. Whenever you rent/buy in a new area, you always take a chance that the value will increase over time as things improve around you. This is no different, except the risk is lower at Disney. We trust that Disney will not leave the Skyliner as a mess, and if you wait for it to be running 100%, you will pay a lot more for those points, just like if you wait for an area to improve before buying in. We never waited more than 5 – 10 mins for a gondola, in its current condition which, as per the disboards, is nearly a disaster. Its way more comfortable than the monorail. With a family of 4 we rode by ourselves most of the time. The other times we had a couple join us, and of course, conversation starts which is nice. Its fast, and wind passes through it. Your comfortable. I can see it being comfortable during a hot day as well. The wind passes through similar to what you would feel on a ride/attraction on a hot day. I suppose if you had a fear of heights, its an issue, but for our family, it more than works - it’s a ride.

The villas – This is where the resort absolutely sets itself apart. Spectacular is the word. The pictures and the online tours do not do it justice. We walked through during the tour and were blown away. Our guide gave us more time to spend alone as we walked through each room really imagining how we would utilize the space. It was very well thought out. The only negative we could find was the lack of a 2nd toilet in a 1BR and a 3rd toilet in a 2BR. I guess this is something we grew fond of at BLT. With that said, they do have the 2nd shower in a 1BR and a 3rd shower in a 2BR. The kitchen is perfect and is designed consistent with how we use a kitchen on Disney property (breakfast and snacking). It has the dining room / bench area which we use quite often to just sit and relax at night with a glass of wine and the kids use for breakfast. The Murphy bed is spot on, as the pull-out couch not a good solution for a highly active Disney vacation. The bathrooms are high end for Disney, from the materials to the hardware.

In the end, it came down to villa quality, trading Skyliner for walking to Epcot & HS, and additional years on the contract. BCV and BWC had no chance. If you can afford the price per point, looking for a HS/EP DVC, it’s a slam dunk. Disney finally got it right. We added on 250pts. Just wanted to post something positive about RIV for those lurking and trusting all that you hear on disboards. Everyone is in a different financial position, and that is OK. For me, its difficult to read on here whether someone hates it because it doesn’t fit for them financially or if they are criticizing it for its own stand-alone issues. I get it and again, that’s OK.

Our 2 cents. YMMV.

Just my .02 cents but I see the Towers becoming the incredibly new hard to get AKV value studios.

They will be difficult to book at 7 months, but not as big a problem as AKV Value Studios.

If my numbers are correct, there are 18 value studios out of 459 rooms at AKV. Less than 4% of the resort.

There are 24 tower studios out of 341 Riviera rooms, or 7%.

The value studios sleep 4, same as all of the larger rooms. Tower studios only sleep 2, so demand will be naturally lower. While the Tower studios are a great option for people who want to save points and don't need much space, it's a much bigger sacrifice than Deluxe studio vs Value.

They will be difficult to book at 7 months, but not as big a problem as AKV Value Studios.

If my numbers are correct, there are 18 value studios out of 459 rooms at AKV. Less than 4% of the resort.

There are 24 tower studios out of 341 Riviera rooms, or 7%.

The value studios sleep 4, same as all of the larger rooms. Tower studios only sleep 2, so demand will be naturally lower. While the Tower studios are a great option for people who want to save points and don't need much space, it's a much bigger sacrifice than Deluxe studio vs Value.

I think you could be right.

My theory is that a lot of the Riviera buyers are, like me, couples or couplets, who would find the Tower Studios desireable for short trips or simply because they don’t need a lot of space. When I saw it, the first thing I thought was: “Oh, this is perfect for runDisney weekends or quick Food & Wine trips”. And I am sure they’ll be impossible to get those dates unless that happens to be when your 11-month booking window starts.

At WDW now, staying at BW currently in standard view so I have view of Skyliner. It has been down off and on all day today for 15+ minutes each time. Currently down for over 30 minutes. We were going to take it today and get dinner at RR at the counter service but have changed our mind since there seems to be a pretty big problem with the Skyliner today! Wondering how they will handle people with dinning reservations at RR who can't get there because the Skyliner isn't running properly? Just something to think about for those purchasing or for those planning to dine at this resort. I will let you know when it starts running again if I'm still in my room.

Running again, down time was at least 40 minutes. Not sure if we noticed when it actually went down but it was 40 minutes from the time we did notice....not riding today!!! :sad2:

At WDW now, staying at BW currently in standard view so I have view of Skyliner. It has been down off and on all day today for 15+ minutes each time. Currently down for over 30 minutes. We were going to take it today and get dinner at RR at the counter service but have changed our mind since there seems to be a pretty big problem with the Skyliner today! Wondering how they will handle people with dinning reservations at RR who can't get there because the Skyliner isn't running properly? Just something to think about for those purchasing or for those planning to dine at this resort. I will let you know when it starts running again if I'm still in my room.
We stayed at POP in November and Skyliner was flawless. We did everything we could to avoid taking a bus bc our experience was so good. It was a game changing experience for my family. Not having to pile into a packed bus at the beginning or end of the day was so great.

We will be back to WDW in April. Hoping for a similar experience :)

Running again, down time was at least 40 minutes. Not sure if we noticed when it actually went down but it was 40 minutes from the time we did notice....not riding today!!! :sad2:

I stayed at Beach Club part of the I was there over the weekend+ and I didn’t notice any downtime on the Skyliner, but I wasn’t paying that much attention. I took it to HS and back once, and to RR once but then Ubered back. I don’t like the ride between Epcot and the resorts (I don’t do well with heights — I’m fine with a gondola over a ski slope, but it’s very different riding a gondola over a highway and a swamp. And when the Skyliner stalls, I freak out. I know I’m a scaredy-cat.) I know I can’t be the only one, but even when I have access to the Monorail and Skyliner, I often still use Uber/Lyft mostly to get around. Saves time, and time is money to me, especially at WDW.

*edited for clarity

Visited RIV too. We ate at (Primo Piatto) and also preferred it to Contempo Cafe at BLT. We had a nighttime reservation at Topolino’s but cancelled it to stay in the parks. We liked riding the skyliner and were fortunate to not experience any long delays.

We were going to eat at Primo Piatto last night but due to problems with Skyliner yesterday we did not. We have ridden the Skyliner several times with no issue but when you can clearly see it is not running correctly why tempt fate? It appears to be running ok today, may take it over to HS to catch a bus to KW and a boat to DS...no park tickets so we can see the sites around the world. ;)

We were going to eat at Primo Piatto last night but due to problems with Skyliner yesterday we did not. We have ridden the Skyliner several times with no issue but when you can clearly see it is not running correctly why tempt fate? It appears to be running ok today, may take it over to HS to catch a bus to KW and a boat to DS...no park tickets so we can see the sites around the world. ;)

For our trip i think the skyliner was down one morning so we too decided to not tempt fate and not ride it that day. we were fortunate to not get stuck on it during our trip. we also enjoyed non-park days by visiting the resorts.

We rode the Skyliner yesterday 1/30 in the AM and again in the PM with no issues. Also IG was not crowded either time, 11am and 8pm. So far today the skyliner seems to be running smoothly.

I haven't read all 11 pages of this, so maybe I shouldn't put my 2 cents is, but I'm gonna do it anyway. We stayed at RR last week, and bought our 1st Dvc contract while we were there. I did several months worth of research and looked at other dvc resorts before making the decision. While resale restrictions do concern me somewhat, we loved so many things about the resort. Its compact so you aren't walking forever to get someplace. We loved the skyliner. We liked the rooms. The food was pretty good. Is it perfect, no. But I suspect no place would be, and there would be things I didn't like no matter where we bought. But as my kids are 5 & 8 now, I am glad to have 50 years on the contract so they can bring their children.

I haven't read all 11 pages of this, so maybe I shouldn't put my 2 cents is, but I'm gonna do it anyway. We stayed at RR last week, and bought our 1st Dvc contract while we were there. I did several months worth of research and looked at other dvc resorts before making the decision. While resale restrictions do concern me somewhat, we loved so many things about the resort. Its compact so you aren't walking forever to get someplace. We loved the skyliner. We liked the rooms. The food was pretty good. Is it perfect, no. But I suspect no place would be, and there would be things I didn't like no matter where we bought. But as my kids are 5 & 8 now, I am glad to have 50 years on the contract so they can bring their children.
Same Here. We bought 150 points. We wanted to get atleast 100 direct for benefits. We are 30 and 29 so we wanted a longer contract than the 2042 ones. Riviera was $188 a point, AKLV was $186. AKV seems easier to get so we thought lets go with the one that expires in 2070. Seems to make more sense. We almost bought CCV but for $220 a point RIV just made more sense. We are so happy to be DVC owners now. This has always been my wife and I's dream since we went to WDW in 2015 for our Honeymoon. I think Riviera will only get better with time. The Skyliner will improve and It wouldn't shop me if they improve the theming more also over the next 10 years. Especially if its a slow seller.

Welcome home! We cant wait to return, we recently made our reservations for new years week in a 2 bedroom! Requested the tower by the Skyliner with a high floor. Hoping to get some fireworks views, we will see.

The resort is really impressive and the Skyliner puts it over the top. Great to have this transportation option for 2 parks !

What to do with those extra BLT points now...?! We are booked up this year...didnt think of that when signing the contract !!

The Only issue we had with the skyliner is it doesn’t run until 8 which doesn’t work when HS opens at 7 and since busses only go 1x an hour to the skyliner resorts, we had to Uber to hs to get there early enough for boarding passes

Anyone have any room request suggestions for RIV? I booked a 2 bedroom STD and the super nice member services person suggested Skyliner "tower" with a high floor to have a chance at fireworks. Any other ideas / suggestions as to what requests are available?

We loved the Macrarpone polenta in the breakfast dish at Primo Piato and how close the quick service is to the rooms.

Anyone have any room request suggestions for RIV? I booked a 2 bedroom STD and the super nice member services person suggested Skyliner "tower" with a high floor to have a chance at fireworks. Any other ideas / suggestions as to what requests are available?

West tower is I guess the same as skyliner tower. High floor for sure. You will love it there!,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter