5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

Well we did a little Christmas shopping for FH's oldest today, and I'm very excited for it! We got him Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 pre-ordered (comes out November 13th) to which he will absolutely love. I also put a bid on ebay for a new cell phone for him for about $11 (max bid of $15 and I'm guessing the phone was originally $100 and it is still in good condition.) He's proving to be very responsible so I'm excited to get him those things. I just need to figure out a book for him, since I get a book for each of them every year, and then he will be done for the major things. Very productive for a day in July!

:welcome: to all our new shoppers!!!!:santa: My middle one is a Lego man, so those of you who will be shopping for them won't go wrong! I always try to buy the biggest one on the list for his bday or Christmas, then leave the smaller ones for other family and friends to get.... we have soooo many Legos,..hopefully he will have a little Lego lover someday and I can give them aaaaall these toys!!!
I wish more places offered lay-a-way...with people struggling so much right now, it could only help so many families!!!
I totally agree on the cutting back!! i have said it before, but for my family,personally, we want it to always be about Jesus and what Christmas means to us...not just who gets the most stuff. Even when the kids were very little, we have family who make all occasions (not just Christmas) about having their kids outdo everyone else's. I do buy them things they want for their bday and get them little 'lovey' gifts for all the special days, but Love is the most important thing, and that's not something you can get in a box! So, for all of you who feel like you have to 'keep up' with others for the Holidays, just sit back and think about what is important to your own little family, the traditions you want to have, and the message you want to send. Others in your family, or circle of friends may not get it,.. but you will and so will your kids. And they will grow up with all that in their hearts! No matter what they do or do not get...and that my friends is the end of my sermon for this week!!:rotfl:
I am not trying to be rambly, but I know this is a MAJOR stress season for so many of us...and it's hard not to get caught up in it!! I think that's one reason I love to bake with my kids so much during this time of year...it's productive, we give goodies as gifts that are so much cheaper than 'stuff', gets my mind on the people who have blessed us and we can in turn bless their family in this way, I get time with the kids, and it keeps me from feeling like I need to do more! When we are finished delivering the last goodie can, I am exhausted and know we have done a great job for another Season!!!!
I will post some of my favorite things that we do in the goodie tins later this week. I am excited to hear what all of you bake for gifts too!! Also, can't wait for some great recipes from y'all!!! I got a Kitchen Aid mixer a few months back and have yet to bake bread in it. I want to do some great little breads for gifts this year, so think about what bread I should do!!!

Oh wait! I did make a banana walnut bread in it!! :rotfl: But I need some thing different too--I know some people don't like that banana walnut variety!

I'm jumping in! Our first baby (boy!) is due in about 4 weeks, but I'm already thinking about xmas :)

We usually draw names with my Inlaws, but I guess we'll be doing it differently this year. MIL booked a trip to TN, checking in on xmas day for 5 nights. I'll still get my nephews (4) and niece something. Last year we spent a lot on them. I'm thinking PJs, a book, & maybe a homemade blanket or pillow this year. That is if baby doesn't cut into my craft time ;)

My family is easy. They are in NY so I keep it simple. I usually get my mom something off QVC that she wants. Dad gets a restaurant GC to take mom out to dinner & my brother gets a GC too.. Usually GameStop. They aren't fussy :)

As for DH, I plan on getting him a new laptop. Not sure what else I'll get him, yet. I'm sure he'll have plenty of ideas when he returns home from deployment!

Mom, DH, DS, & I will also being going to Disney in November. Plus that TN trip.

SO much to prepare for!!

Joining in... All 3 kids have asked for Kindle fires this year. We are waiting till closer to see if the new version comes out. Of course I have already started shopping for other things like legos and Monster High dolls for my daughter but we will have those come from grandpa or put away for her birthday in January.
I think we may get the boys each a cell phone- pay as you go ones though. They are getting into more activities and it would be nice that if something is running early or late that they can call us to get them.

My dad and FIL are the hardest as they just go buy something if they want it. They usually get some type of gift card but I would like to get them something to open as well.

DH and I usually don't get much for each other but there is some remodeling that we want to do so that may be our gift to each other.

Does anyone have ideas on homemade, inexpensive things to give to friends? Last year I did jars with cookie mix inside, which I could do again, but I wanna try something new!

Does anyone have ideas on homemade, inexpensive things to give to friends? Last year I did jars with cookie mix inside, which I could do again, but I wanna try something new!
do you crochet, or knit, or quilt? I have a friend who did small throw blankets one year, and another friend who did a small lap quilt for me for my bday one year....
Other than that, I can share what we do in our goodie tins-unless you don't want to do 'food' again at all!

Disney Mommy 3 said:
do you crochet, or knit, or quilt? I have a friend who did small throw blankets one year, and another friend who did a small lap quilt for me for my bday one year....
Other than that, I can share what we do in our goodie tins-unless you don't want to do 'food' again at all!

Unfortunately, I don't do any of those things. I can sew a little, but I would have to go to my grandma's to use her machine, so it would need to be a quick project.

I am definitely willing to do food again! I just wanted to stray a bit from that specific project.

theworldneedscolor said:

Are you a member on pinterest? If not, sign up! They have awesome arts & crafts, food recipes, etc that are simple to make w/ all the instructions. You can pin things to your board & pull them up when you're ready to try them out; just yesterday our dinner and dessert came from recipes I found on there :)

Unfortunately, I don't do any of those things. I can sew a little, but I would have to go to my grandma's to use her machine, so it would need to be a quick project.

I am definitely willing to do food again! I just wanted to stray a bit from that specific project.

I always do goodie bags. I do chocolate chip cookies (I could make those from scratch (my tweaked recipe) in my sleep), sugar cookies (dang the year I did them and they were a hit -- they are so labor intensive), a spritz cookie (usually mint christmas trees with semi-sweet chocolate drizzled on) and this year, thinking of trying to make the old Vienna Dream Bars per DH's repeated request. And I always do Christmas Crunch (aka Christmas Crack) -- it's a sweet-salty combo that is very tasty and SUPER easy. I discovered the key to not going nuts is only one roll cookie (preferably none), one drop and the rest bar or super easy stuff like spritz. Quite frankly if I could make decent fudge, I'd throw that in.

Recipe for Christmas Crunch:
2 cups plain Cheerios
2 cups plain Rice Krispies
2 cups plain holiday M&Ms
2 cups salted cocktail peanuts (no skin)
[recipe also calls for 2 cups mini marshmallows but I think it's too sweet with them and leave them out)
1 package white almond bark/candy coating

Melt the almond bark, pour over remaining ingredients, stir to coat and dump onto wax paper and spread to cool. When cool, break apart and enjoy.

Try pintrest.com for some ideas. I was on there this weekend and found a ton of inexpensive ideas that are nice gifts. One gift that is pretty easy is to get either glass candle holders or glasses (most of the ideas posted you can find these at the dollar store) and wrap rubber bands around them, spray paint a frosty colored paint and when it is dry, remove the rubber bands. It makes these really cool designs on the glass and it is something I personally would buy for someone if I saw it. That was just one of many ideas I found on pintrest.

Are you a member on pinterest? If not, sign up! They have awesome arts & crafts, food recipes, etc that are simple to make w/ all the instructions. You can pin things to your board & pull them up when you're ready to try them out; just yesterday our dinner and dessert came from recipes I found on there :)

Great minds think alike! I was looking at some of the recipies on there myself and they look yummy! Can't wait till BDL and I have some time to try them out!

Pesky! That is a great recipe!! I usually do fudge-one pan goes a loooong way--it's super rich, so cutting it into 1x1 squares is great!...a chocolate chip cookie, some type of Chex Mix (they have tons of recipes on their site--pick your favorite!),. and then I usually put a candy cane or two depending on how many kids are in the family. I put all this in a tin from Wal Mart--you can get the large round ones for around $3, Target has some too, but they are a little more pricey----then we stick a name tag on and I let each kid bring them to the door of the families! We have a great time! things like the Chex Mix or fudge that you can do one day, then the cookies the next is best. One year I tried to do all that in one day and almost killed myself!!! Of course, chic covered pretzels, candy peanuts, anything of that variety is a big hit!!!

I want to join this thread too!! I absolutely love Christmas. I have not started shopping for my family yet (unusual for me) but I have been thinking of ideas. I have 6 kids 1DSIL 3DDIL, 1DGD 2DGS, plus in-laws, parents etc. I do have things put away for co-workers and teachers. My problem is knowing what to get. The only one I have an idea for is my 9 yr old DD. She needs a bike and she wants the Friends lego sets.

BDLSGAL said:
Great minds think alike! I was looking at some of the recipies on there myself and they look yummy! Can't wait till BDL and I have some time to try them out!

Yes :) I am a tad addicted to pinterest; it's a really great site!!

Yes :) I am a tad addicted to pinterest; it's a really great site!!

My first introduction to the site was this weekend and I am hooked too. I think I have my mother's problem though...having all these great ideas but not being realistic about time! I remember when we were kids, she would buy all these sewing and knitting books and say "someday when I have time". I think it was like 20 years later she started :) In anycase, I am keeping track of all the great ideas and will do my best to try them sooner than later.

I haven't started shopping for my kids yet but I have been thinking of ideas. For my DD8 I think she is going to get a Kindle Fire or something similiar. DS13 digital camera. DS12 most likely hockey gear.

I have been picking up items during the Target toy clearance for our christmas Adopt a Family event.

I love Christmas and shopping on Black Friday!

21hearts said:
I'm joining in. I joined last year but couldn't keep up with the thread. I'm hoping I'll be able to this year.

The only gift that is a "must have" so far is a Pink LeapPad for our daughter. Our local Wal-Mart has them in stock pretty often now so I think either pay day in August or September we are going to pick it up.

Besides that I have no idea what to get for anyone else. I do want to start picking up things on sale here and there to put away.

Check your local Barnes and noble. They had them 50% off on clearance at 2 different stores in MA.

GL. My kids love theirs and play them all the time. Keep an eye on leapfrog.com for sales on the games too.

Thanks for the ideas on homemade gifts for my friends! I do have a Pinterest account, I was boycotting for a while because it kept malfunctioning when I search for Disney things, but I figure it might be time to give it a second chance :rotfl2:

I just made an organizer in Google docs. The approximate costs kind of ruin the fun :sad:

Leslie. I have those puzzles and picked them up at toys r us. My boys enjoyed them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter