5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

I'm going to join in as well. We are part of the scaling back club. But the earlier I start the more I spend! I already have a kids digital camera for my 5 year old son. I also have a 7 year old boy who wants an iPod touch. I'm also thinking about a trampoline or basketball hoop for the big Santa gift. Or I also considered a tent and other camping gear for the family. I picked up some things for my nieces and nephews during the target clearance in January. Looking forward to stopping by for the sale this week . This really got me thinking. The 9-10 paychecks left is a real eye opener. Where do u open the Christmas accounts? I might need to do that next year

CMW0021 said:
I'm going to join in as well. We are part of the scaling back club. But the earlier I start the more I spend! I already have a kids digital camera for my 5 year old son. I also have a 7 year old boy who wants an iPod touch. I'm also thinking about a trampoline or basketball hoop for the big Santa gift. Or I also considered a tent and other camping gear for the family. I picked up some things for my nieces and nephews during the target clearance in January. Looking forward to stopping by for the sale this week . This really got me thinking. The 9-10 paychecks left is a real eye opener. Where do u open the Christmas accounts? I might need to do that next year

We opened ours at our credit union where we do the bulk of our banking. It starts in Oct and you pick the amount you want to set aside bi-weekly; $20, $25, etc....we've been using it for about 4 years now and I love it!

I joined in earlier today, but wanted to give our status for Christmas shopping. We actually went to the mall yesterday and bought gifts for 5 people. Add to that one gift we bought earlier this year and we are off to a good start. I was excited that 3 of them were under $10 thanks to the clearance shelf at Yankee Candle. They are nice gifts too! We are headed to Disney in December so if we don't get the shopping done and partly wrapped before we go, it will be chaos when we get back! BDL thinks I am crazy for wanting to start this early, but the last 2 years all our shopping was done by December, cash was paid for everything and come December it was all about enjoying everything else! :)

By the way.....if you are looking for affordable gifts, I have had luck with The Lakeside Catalog. Also, Zulilly has some good deals sometimes (can be hot or miss), but it takes a while to get things after you order them so shopping now will get things delivered in time for Christmas :)

1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
3. 3-4 small stocking items (candy, stickers, matchbox cars, etc)
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I love this from Starsweeper!! Especially #1. May have to try this at our house for DS24 and DD10months (yep...wiiiidddee range in ages!) :rotfl:

1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
3. 3-4 small stocking items (candy, stickers, matchbox cars, etc)
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I love this from Starsweeper!! Especially #1. May have to try this at our house for DS24 and DD10months (yep...wiiiidddee range in ages!) :rotfl:

The age thing is hilarious-when I first read it,I thought 24 months,then NOPE, 24! what a great surprise!!!

I just signed up for the DIS yesterday as I am beginning to plan our March 2013 trip to WDW and saw this thread as I was browsing. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I hope I can get some great ideas. I have already started shopping the Target toy clearance for my twin DD's10 and my DS6months. I got some great deals on some craft kits for the girls and Thomas stuff for DS for next year. I also found some cute Pink Duplo blocks for DN2. The girls will probably get some Disney items for our March trip and DS is so little he doesn't need much, maybe a few outfits and some toys. Looking forward to some great ideas!

I just signed up for the DIS yesterday as I am beginning to plan our March 2013 trip to WDW and saw this thread as I was browsing. Christmas is my favorite holiday and I hope I can get some great ideas. I have already started shopping the Target toy clearance for my twin DD's10 and my DS6months. I got some great deals on some craft kits for the girls and Thomas stuff for DS for next year. I also found some cute Pink Duplo blocks for DN2. The girls will probably get some Disney items for our March trip and DS is so little he doesn't need much, maybe a few outfits and some toys. Looking forward to some great ideas!

Welcome to the DIS! This is my third season in this thread and I love it, I hope you enjoy the DIS as much as I do! :disrocks:

I spent some time catching up on this thread last night and then I had the worst nightmare ever. it was Christmas eve and I had no gifts bought. :eek:

I spent some time catching up on this thread last night and then I had the worst nightmare ever. it was Christmas eve and I had no gifts bought. :eek:

Ha!:rotfl2: I am really sorry you had that dream!! I do that stuff and it is SOOO real!! Every year it's that we are Disney, on our last day and I wake up in the room--WAKE UP,..like we slept all week and missed EVERYthing!! I hate that!!!! Or when I dream we forget tickets, or we have missed our flights!!!

Welcome to the DIS and congrats on your upcoming trip. You'll soon find these boards addicting! :thumbsup2

I started shopping a few weeks ago .Disney.com had Mickey candles from 19.99 marked down to $5.99 .Bought 3.Also I love giving Hallmark ornaments and bought 8 so far from their preview weekend .Happy shopping and planning .

I'm so happy I found this thread. I love Christmas! Yes Christmas will be smaller this year. We just moved from Orlando to Richmond this past April. Dh is currently not working, long story short, he's a pilot and was in a motorcycle accident last October in Daytona. He had ACL surgery in Nov. My job relocated us (found out in Dec but got to move in April). DH messed up his knee again during the move and he is awaiting some tests to make sure he's ok to fly again.

But since we are in a small apartment this year, we can't go all out like we did previous years. But this year we don't need to do our Christmas light display or put up two trees. We usually do a regular tree and a Disney Tree. I start buying early on when I see deals.

DS turns 2 in September and DD4 will be 5 in January. DH's B-day in January as well. So far I ordered some Disney shirts online for each childfor their b-days and Christmas, and I figured she would be popular this year a Meridia doll for DD. She is just starting to really get into dolls. She does not have a favorite and Meridia was so cute. DS is delayed (he has low muscle tone) so I will ask his therapist for some good toys for him. DD is also delayed but in speech.

We go to Disney in 1 1/2 weeks so I will get some things there, like their custom ornaments.And I'll see what DD has her eye on. :woohoo:

I apologize for this being so long. :eek:

We have a few things done so far. I don't have many people to buy for.

I have DS7, DD4, my mom, my dad, MIL & FIL. We have more family but we don't really exchange with them.

MIL - sports team ornament she will love & calendar with kid pics
FIL - calendar with kid pics
Mom - calendar with kid pics, "grandma" photo frame, nice wine opener set, slippers (all bought on clearance because I thought she would like them - except calendar)
Dad - calendar with kid pics, "grandkids" photo frame, still need something else
DS7 - I have some CARS lego sets for him that I got at last year's Target clearance and some board games. He is really into Star Wars right now, so I may get him some of that, whatever he is into at the time. I also just found some Paper Jams @ Target for a few dollars each so I got the guitar, drums, and two amps.
DD4 - I have a few things for her from the Target sale this past January. Polly Pocket roller skating thing that is more like a roller coaster, and a barbie type RV, she will love those. Then my friend was selling the Disney Castle set for $40!, like this: http://www.disneystore.com/disney-s...stle&Dr=pPublished:1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

So, I got that and she will love it. I also have a Cinderella and Tiana playset that I bought before this at half price. I may return the Cinderella one since it is so similar to the castle one.

So, good start so far.

bas71873 said:
I got my new Family Fun magazine yesterday and saw an ad for this site www.ajscollection.com. I think I will be getting my mom a necklace with all the grandkids names on them (and I'm going to email my DH and drop a big hint for myself too :lmao:).

I also stumbled on the reuseit.com website while fiddling around on pinterest and a few people might be getting the reusable grocery cart size totes!

I've used AJs twice, once for my mothers day gift 2 years ago and just this week for my soon to be 13 year olds birthday. Both are gorgeous, love them! My mom and MIL are each getting necklaces for Christmas as well. Woot!

Then my friend was selling the Disney Castle set for $40!, like this: http://www.disneystore.com/disney-s...stle&Dr=pPublished:1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

So, I got that and she will love it. I also have a Cinderella and Tiana playset that I bought before this at half price. I may return the Cinderella one since it is so similar to the castle one.

So, good start so far.

I'm sure your DD will love this castle. My DD loved hers and played with it for years. It's stored away now and I will never get rid of it, I just can't bring myself too :)

I've used AJs twice, once for my mothers day gift 2 years ago and just this week for my soon to be 13 year olds birthday. Both are gorgeous, love them! My mom and MIL are each getting necklaces for Christmas as well. Woot!

YAY! Glad to hear a positive review. Sometimes you just never know! Thanks.

I only have 4 gifts to buy. The family does a $200 swap. I HATE IT! It takes the good feeling of buying a gift completely out of christmas. Everyone writes what they want. Whats the point! I suggested that everyone has to spend $200 on them self wrap it up. Then open it together to show off what you got yourself.

My oldest daughter is at an age that she would rather have one big gift then a buch of small stuff. I think she is getting a computer.

My wife and I spend about $100 on each other and its mostly stuff we need.

So the only fun person to shop for is my 7 year old. I want to buy her the world because its only a matter of time...

I start getting super excited when bfads.net starts listing the ad scans. :thumbsup2

Last year I thought I'd get my Christmas shopping done early, but every time I'd see something the kids wanted, I'd buy it. Then I end up getting into the Christmas spirit and buying more and more. I had WAY too much for them by the time Christmas rolled around. I am making myself hold off until Black Friday. But I am looking here for ideas :)

Also, I want to suggest ZINGO to anyone who has a 4-year old (up to maybe age 8 or so) and does not have it yet. My 3 year old got into it and LOVES it, and it seems to be the only game they play consistently: http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-770...?ie=UTF8&qid=1343306324&sr=8-1&keywords=zingo

Hi all!! :welcome: to all the newcomers!!! As you know yesterday was 5 months until Christmas..so the countdown 'is begun'!! 21 weeks!!
Loved the castle playlet too!! That's sooooo cute!!! I will have to look at that ZINGO game,...never heard of it!!

My list is HUGE for Christmas....would love gift ideas for in-laws!!!!!:confused3

I've not heard of Zingo, but we love the game Farkle for family gatherings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter