Your Mt Rushmore of Unique WDW Dining

We are Disneyland-ers, too. We went to WDW in early June of this year. At HS, we really had fun at Prime Time Cafe. The server was really funny and the food was great. Our kids loved it.

We also ate at the Brown Derby at HS, but if you're from southern CA, I'd skip it because you can find a bunch of great steakhouses in the southern CA area instead.

We haven't been yet, but on our next trip, we'd really like to try CA Grill.

Everybody should experience Hoop Dee Doo Revue at least once in their lifetime. that's a truly WDW thing and it's definitely a family all-ages experience.

At MK, we thoroughly enjoyed Skipper Canteen...YDD especially because she loves Jungle Cruise so much.

I second the votes for any of the AKL restaurants since the location is so unique, AKL is beautiful and amazing, etc.

We've been twice now to Biergarten in the Germany pavilion at Epcot and really enjoyed ourselves...we won't be going to an Oktoberfest in Germany itself any time soon, so that was a really fun alternative. The band was great and it feels like you're dining outside even though it's all indoors.

DW and I have been to 50's prime time (in 2006) and enjoyed as well!

DW and Oldest DS(12) have actually been to Oktoberfest and Hoffbrauhaus. I'd bet dollars to donuts the Biergarten experience is better than the "real thing" so we'll put it on our probably list. My vivid memory of Munich was watching people get put in the drunk tank after they were literally unable to cross the street they were so drunk.

We did California Grill for Wishes in 2006 as well, I'll see if DW wants to do again.

CRT, BOG, Akershus - magical atmosphere character meals. (Our absolute favorite of these 3 is Be Our Guest. We especially love West Wing with the enchanted rose and "spooky atmosphere" or sitting in the Grand Ballroom near a window of falling snow.)

Tusker House - unique safari character meal with (Disney-level) exotic food options

Sanaa - (Disney-level) exotic food options in an African atmosphere with safari animals outside

Yes, I think for us, we can get great food most days of the week in SF or Napa, we have limited dining opportunities on the trip so we need to stick to WDW unique experiences. For example I see people here raving about V&A but I'm not inspired by it's uniqueness compared to what I can get at home, even if it's the best restaurant on property. (similarly teppanyaki restaurants).
V&A is very intimate....French Laundry has better food.

Regardless, V&A is head-and-shoulders above anything else at Disney (and actually enforces their dress code - i.e., jackets for gentlemen). Children are not allowed. It is an elegant place inside the flagship property. Some folks enjoy the romance while at Disney.

Most of the Disney Signatures are very good food for the volume they are serving daily.

We eat at CA Grill because we stay in the hotel and enjoy the view from the dining room. Dinner menu & food are 'meh'. Sunday brunch is superior (and too much food). Despite my feelings, I recommend the place because of the incomparable view.

Swan & Dolphin (near Boardwalk & Hollywood Studios) are a cut above Disney Signatures - we eat at these places most frequently......but nothing unique.

Capa, like many of the other hotel restaurants not run by Disney, is also a family favorite.....but nothing unique, unless you want to buy a house at Disney (inside the Four Seasons complex).

Cirque de Soleil is coming back anew to Disney Springs, and we enjoy Jaleo by Chef Jose Anders. Plenty of other good choices in Disney Springs and most all are a cut above Disney Signatures.....but not much uniqueness beyond location to Cirque de Soleil.

Some of the in-Park Disney Signatures offer 'packages' that include 'free' tickets to the nighttime shows.....which remains a mystery post-Covid.

Hoop Dee Doo is loads of fun....if it comes back.....with picnic fare that is worth the price.

If they come back in full-force, Characters meal primer & updates:
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-world-character-meals/

Sci-Fi is the 'worst' food we eat on vacation - and yet, we always try going. Quietest dining room in Disney (maybe even quieter than V&A).

FWIW, buffet breakfast at Boma is 'special', but not necessarily very unique. Even though, AKLodge is stunning, we prefer the animals from Sanaa......as being unique.

Finally, Coral Reef (in Epcot) is unique, because you are sitting next to the tank of an aquarium. We've had better food experiences than most folks, but that was before some menu changes prior to the pandemic. Sitting at Spice Road offers views across Epcot lake.

V&A is very intimate....French Laundry has better food.

Regardless, V&A is head-and-shoulders above anything else at Disney (and actually enforces their dress code - i.e., jackets for gentlemen). Children are not allowed. It is an elegant place inside the flagship property. Some folks enjoy the romance while at Disney.

Most of the Disney Signatures are very good food for the volume they are serving daily.

We eat at CA Grill because we stay in the hotel and enjoy the view from the dining room. Dinner menu & food are 'meh'. Sunday brunch is superior (and too much food). Despite my feelings, I recommend the place because of the incomparable view.

Swan & Dolphin (near Boardwalk & Hollywood Studios) are a cut above Disney Signatures - we eat at these places most frequently......but nothing unique.

Capa, like many of the other hotel restaurants not run by Disney, is also a family favorite.....but nothing unique, unless you want to buy a house at Disney (inside the Four Seasons complex).

Cirque de Soleil is coming back anew to Disney Springs, and we enjoy Jaleo by Chef Jose Anders. Plenty of other good choices in Disney Springs and most all are a cut above Disney Signatures.....but not much uniqueness beyond location to Cirque de Soleil.

Some of the in-Park Disney Signatures offer 'packages' that include 'free' tickets to the nighttime shows.....which remains a mystery post-Covid.

Hoop Dee Doo is loads of fun....if it comes back.....with picnic fare that is worth the price.

If they come back in full-force, Characters meal primer & updates:
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-world-character-meals/

Sci-Fi is the 'worst' food we eat on vacation - and yet, we always try going. Quietest dining room in Disney (maybe even quieter than V&A).

FWIW, buffet breakfast at Boma is 'special', but not necessarily very unique. Even though, AKLodge is stunning, we prefer the animals from Sanaa......as being unique.

Finally, Coral Reef (in Epcot) is unique, because you are sitting next to the tank of an aquarium. We've had better food experiences than most folks, but that was before some menu changes prior to the pandemic. Sitting at Spice Road offers views across Epcot lake.

Thanks! this is super helpful. A few places I had not considered yet. We will have a 6 YO on the trip so probably not doing V&A. The descriptions really help me decide what may be better for our trip.

So we're west coast folks, do DL frequently but are looking to come out for a once every 10-15 year trip.

looking probably post pandemic so hoping most of the restaurant changes are shaken out and back to normal so I'm hoping to book 3-4 unique dining experiences for the family:

That is:
  1. Restaurants that are great as a family experience
  2. Restaurants that can only be experienced at WDW
For example, CRT might make the list for some because there's no other "in castle" dining experience but a lunch at California Grill (or for us near DL Napa Rose) probably would not, even if the food is great, because the meal experience is something we can get regularly somewhere else.

so for discussion, I ask for your Mt Rushmore, an unordered top 4 dining experiences, unique to WDW.

We're Disneyland natives also, but make it to WDW every 2-3 years or so. We were last there in 2018, with our 2020 trip cancelled. You don't mention when you will be in the parks so I'm including our favorites that might be not available right now, with the hope they are coming back as they were:

Our Mt. Rushmore:

Jiko at Jambo House, Animal Kingdom Lodge (not currently open but rumored to open this fall/winter). Amazing cuisine based on African specialities, with the largest wine list of African wines in the US. Beautiful dining room, despite not having views of the animals. Great service pre-pandemic. We are so crossing our fingers the restaurant will be back for our New Year's trip as it is a can't miss for us

Flying Fish on the Boardwalk: also not open, also rumored to open soon. Sure, we have plenty of fine seafood restaurants on the West Coast - some even with amazing ocean vistas instead of a theme park boardwalk - but the Flying Fish is at the top of our list regardless. Great service, never had a bad meal over several trips over the years, and my vegetarian family members (who are true vegetarians and do not eat seafood) insist on going because of the personalized attention to ensuring they also have a satisfying meal.

Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen: great immersive dining experience, food is delicious and unique for a theme park location, servers only add to fun.

Tusker House character breakfast buffet: pandemic concerns about buffets aside, the food here is unique and not the same old theme park standbys (although you could still get your fill of Mickey waffles if you so choose); the character interactions are among some of our favorites. We used to love making an ADR before the park opened so we were fortified for rope drop...although the food is delicious and filling up may not the best thing to do before going on FoP or EE? Still, a can't miss for my group. Boma is a close second - the food is similar although I might give Boma the nod for taste and variety. But if it came down to a choice, Tusker House's characters and location inside AK always won out.

Runners up:
Be Our Guest: With each trip, the food has become more disappointing so I can't in good conscience recommend it as a dining experience - but the atmosphere, especially in the West Wing, is unique to WDW and should be experienced, especially if there is a Beauty and the Beast fan in the group. I'd put it above Cinderella's Royal Table when it comes to food, with the caveat I haven't been to CRT in several years.

California Grill: views can't be beat but Napa Rose has better food IMO. We were sat in the middle of tables full of dirty dishes and forgotten by our server on our last trip but we're thinking of trying it again, depending on whatever the new dining experience will be.

Prime Time Cafe: unique to WDW and on our first trip we had the most amazing server - we still think fondly of you, Uncle Tim - but subsequent trips haven't recaptured the magic. Food is...eh, IMO. But the inside of the restaurant is lots of fun.

'Ohana breakfast: this is a nostalgic favorite for us and we're crossing fingers the characters will be back for our trip. Breakfast isn't anything too unique - although we love the pinapple-coconut breakfast bread - but the Poly has a cheerful, fun throwback vibe even with all the updates (and we usually get a server who has been with the Poly since it opened!). We always have a great experience.

We haven't been to Topolino's but want to check it out. I'm also intrigued by Space 220 and looking forward to seeing the menu (and prices!). The newly refurbished Citricos is also on our list.

This is our Mt. Rushmore we are visiting this October :D

Wine Bar George (I just want the octopus salad!)
Toledo (gorgeous inside, lounge with outside deck with views of DHS, and also Epcot fireworks)
Topolino's (again, looks pretty inside and outside deck with views of Skyliner and fireworks)
Tiffins (inside Animal Kingdom, enough said)

Now the only one I think would be "unique" to Disney is Tiffins due to location and décor, but we are looking forward to the beauty and ambience of Toledo and Topolino's!

For a real "Disney" experience, we really enjoyed Skipper Canteen on our last trip.

Last edited:
V&A because there is simply no other experience that comes close to this.
Sci-Fi dine-in. The food is just OK, its the atmosphere that sets this apart.
Sanaa: different foods and a wonderful view of the animals, as long as you are there before dark.
Toledo - Real good food. Things that are not found at other WDW restaurants. And a great view out over the whole WDW property - and beyond.
Do you always get a view no matter where you're sitting at Toledo?

Here's mine:

Sci Fi- we love the ridiculous sci-fi horror movie drive in clips, burgers fries and shakes are good not spectacular but when you put it all together it is a totally unique can't do it anywhere else experience that just seems so"Vacation is Here!" to us.

AKL is our favorite resort, love everything about it so we're biased but...

Boma- the buffet is a unique dining experience with all of the different spices and flavors. It's a great chance to try a variety of foods that are unlike any we get at home.

Sanaa- food is great not as special as Boma since it has more of an Indian/Thai food slant that I can find near home but I can't do that while watching zebra chase wildebeest out the window at home.

Jiko- absolutely fantastic wine list, as someone above mentioned it is the largest collection of African wines in North America and I love pairing the different wines with each course, just magnificent

And now I realize why we always stay at AKL, access to all our favorite Disney restaurants. lol

So for unique experiences, or even just a fun night out, we love Flying Fish at the Boardwalk (not open yet though), delicious food and also because we have a great time with a cocktail beforehand at the Abracadabar :-)
Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge is great, you can spend some time looking at the animals, or having a drink at Victoria Falls Lounge. Wonderful, traditional African food.
Sci Fi Drive in is always a fun lunch for us, eating at a 1950's drive in experience.

Biergarten and Raglan Road for the entertainment and atmosphere.
Akershus for a castle environment and princesses, plus Norwegian food. (unique)
Sci-Fi is different. Agree the food is OK, the shakes are pretty good.

Do you always get a view no matter where you're sitting at Toledo?
Some of the inner tables will have a limited view. I don't think that there are any tables that can't see outside though.

Some of the inner tables will have a limited view. I don't think that there are any tables that can't see outside though.
How would I get there from AKL using Disney transportation? Would I bus to DS then bus to restaurant/resort?

We do sci-fi, 50s prime time, Ohana, be our guest and Tusker house each trip because we love the theming. Storybook dining at Artist pointe is also amazing (not back open yet though). Biergarten in Epcot is well themed also. My youngest loves the dinosaur restaurant in Disney springs, though it’s loud.

You don't mention when you will be in the parks so I'm including our favorites that might be not available right now, with the hope they are coming back as they were:

we're in the blue sky phase, pending a few things, Nov 22 or June 23. Probably.

How would I get there from AKL using Disney transportation? Would I bus to DS then bus to restaurant/resort?
That would work. You could also take the bus to AK or DHS and then bus to CSR. That would be shorter than going all the way to DS.

the intimate dining experience at the GF; you are all alone on the 5th or 6th floor adjacent to the windows facing the MK from where, if you schedule dinner at the right time, you can see the fireworks; you can dine inside or outside too; you have your own personalized, chosen by you as far as choices go, menu from citricos and your own private butler to do the serving; it can last 2 hours, dressing isnt as formal as Vic & Als, and the experience is unique and sounds exactly what you are looking for; it was a surprise for my wife on our 32nd anniversary during the week of our daughter's wedding at the GF in 2018; here are some pics:Intimate Dining 6.jpgIntimate Dining 7.jpgIntimate Dining 9.jpgIntimate Dining 10.jpg

Unique to WDW for Families.

World Showcase restaurants such as Biergarten or the new Space 220 in Future World
Hollywood Studios such as SciFi Dine In or Prime Time
Animal Kingdom Lodge with animals at Sanaa

If you like Character Dining...
Garden Grill at Epcot's Land Pavilion, Tusker House at Animal Kingdom, Cinderella's Royal Table in the Castle

We are still waiting for Character Dining to get up to speed.

the intimate dining experience at the GF; you are all alone on the 5th or 6th floor adjacent to the windows facing the MK from where, if you schedule dinner at the right time, you can see the fireworks; you can dine inside or outside too; you have your own personalized, chosen by you as far as choices go, menu from citricos and your own private butler to do the serving; it can last 2 hours, dressing isnt as formal as Vic & Als, and the experience is unique and sounds exactly what you are looking for; it was a surprise for my wife on our 32nd anniversary during the week of our daughter's wedding at the GF in 2018; here are some pics:View attachment 599334View attachment 599335View attachment 599336View attachment 599337
This looks delightful. how do you arrange something like this? through the resort or through one of the restaurants?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter