Your first Space Mountain experience:

Space Mountain has a place in my heart like no other ride, and this is why:

My first trip to the World was around 1993, and I knew nothing about it beforehand. I was about seven, and didn't even realise that WDW was three different parks. We went to MK first, and went straight to Splash Mountain, which was still pretty new. Even at seven I was a serious rollercoaster adrenaline junkie, but I didn't know Space Mountain was there.

Then we rode the TTA (I know it wasn't called that then!) and as soon as I caught a glimpse of the Space Mountain cars, I was a child possessed. I had to go on that ride RIGHT NOW! So my dad took me on, and I loved everything about it.

I loved the queue, that really made me feel like I was travelling into outer space.

I LOVED the in-queue entertainment, the galactic TV broadcasts, that felt like the distant future.

I loved the blast-off part with the lights and the tunnel.

And of course, I loved the whole ride. At that time, at that age, it was the wildest and scariest rollercoaster I'd ever been on. I fell completely in love with it (for about four months afterwards I used to replay the whole thing in my head each night, so I wouldn't forget it). It's probably to blame for my entire sci-fi obsession, actually.

I'm planning a WDW trip at the moment but I'm reluctant to commit myself until I get some inkling of when they're taking Space Mountain down for refurb.

I know it's unusual to be so romantic and poetic about a ride, but this was one of the high points and defining moments of my childhood, and the love affair has never ended!:love:

My first trip to Disney (Magic Kingdom) was when I was almost senior in high school (1976). We took a 3 day trip to Orlando and had a very poor chaperon. We took a bus to a bar somewhere the first night and I got very drunk (underage drinking) :rolleyes1 I had my first real hangover the next day and it ruined my trip to MK. We stood in line for at least 45 minutes to ride Space Mountain. I was feeling sicker and sicker. Then the ride went down and we all got out of line. I remember feeling relieved because I didn't think I would make it through the ride. This was back when you could actually see the ride while standing in the queue and it was starting to unnerve me. I could hear all the screams and see all the flashing lines and the sides of the car. I spent the rest of the day in the infirmary. :confused3 Not fun!

I did not return to Disney until 2002. The first thing we did was go to MK at rope drop and head right to Space Mountain. That's pretty much been a tradition ever since. MK first ride - always Space Mountain. :lovestruc

We rode it for the first time in October and just didn't get it :confused3

Infact, no one in our party of 30+ liked it enough to go back on it.

I was sat in the very front seat and had totally geared it up to being a great ride and we got off and felt totally let down...

We've decided to skip it this trip unless we do it on our late night EMH and theres no wait :confused3

I was 7 years old the first time I rode it--it was love at first sight. It's still my favorite attraction! I used pretend I was a real astronaut, preparing for a mission the whole time I was waiting in line. I did this way longer than was age appropriate:bitelip:

We went to WDW the summer that Space Mountain opened in the 70's - I was about 12. This was the only reason we went to WDW that day! We stood in line for at least 2.5 hours - I remember passing the sign that said "from this point, your wait is 2 hr 30 min".

Yes, the cars held 4 people - 2 in each section, the front person sat between the legs of the back person in each section. I rode with my older brother (he's the one that wanted to see Space Mtn) - and MY PARENTS rode in the back section. This is completely unheard of! My parents NEVER got on rides! I don't know why they decided to do this - I guess my brother really talked it up. My dad said he just buried his head in my mom's back the whole time!

This was really the first roller coaster I ever rode. I remember screaming the whole time - I think I yelled something about "I never want to be an astronaut!!!!"

Similiar to my experience. I went with my parents in the 70s. My mother is deathly afraid of roller coasters. We kids lied to her and told her it was just a space walk. When she got to the area that said "Attention if you have back problems, heart problems etc do not go beyond this point" she realized we lied. We convinced her to go anyway.

I sat in the front seat with my mother and my dad sat behind us. I didn't get to see much of the ride, cause my mother pushed me down under seat in sheer terror. She screamed at the top of her lungs and was praying to God above. From my point of view I heard my dad in the back seat laughing and going "whoa whoa whoa" and I could see an occasional flash of light. After we got off the ride we had to sit for an hour cause my mother was sick.

Its still one of my most cherished vacation memories with my parents.

I was very little and all I remember is screaming and crying because I hated it. I remember it being dark and going in circles and I didn't go on roller coasters for a long time after that.

Now it's one of my faves! :rotfl2:

ooh..I want to chime in on this one! My first time was also in 1977 the summer I was five. My brother was only 2 so my mom and aunt went on first while dad and I waited at the exit with my brother to do the baby swap. When my mom and aunt got off, they were both so scared that they tried to convince me not to go on but I insisted. I remember being squashed between my dad's legs up into the nosecone of the car (I dont think there were any seatbelts back then). I wasn't scared by the movement of the ride, the thing that scared me was the red tunnel at the end that simulates coming back through the atmosphere.
Hey, does anyone know if there was a height requirement then? My almost 6 year old son is still too short to ride it but there is no way that I was taller at the same age (if I was, we have things to worry about! LOL!). I can't find that info anywhere...if I remember correctly, there was an age requirement (or maybe that is what my parents told me!)

Still one of my faves and I can't wait until my kids are big enough to ride!
Jill

Oh, forgot to say ... I've always been a big fan of the front seat in rollercoasters, but Space Mountain's definitely a back seat ride. You practically get airtime. And the front seat's usually overrated on a dark coaster, anyway.

Oh, forgot to say ... I've always been a big fan of the front seat in rollercoasters, but Space Mountain's definitely a back seat ride. You practically get airtime. And the front seat's usually overrated on a dark coaster, anyway.

I actually like the front on SM because when you reach the top of the lift hill you can get a nice view of the moving stars below you. Feels neat (IMO).

I rode it for the very first time several weeks ago on our most recent trip. I had been putting it off for years (not a rollercoaster person), and even though I had ridden EE, TOT, Splash, and BTMRR before I was still extremely reluctant to go on Space Mountain. I guess it was just all those years of riding TTA and hearing people screaming inside, seeing the cars climbing up that hill...

My mom and I rode it during morning EMH. She got stuck with the front seat, I was behind her. People really weren't kidding when they said it feels much faster than it actually is! I did enjoy it, although it's not one of my favorite rides by any means. I'll be riding it again in the future. Sadly the ride was mostly responsible for breaking my $150 digital camera on the third day of our trip. :sad2: Lesson learned as far as that goes.

My first Space Mountain ride was in Oct '86. I was 7. My dad took me on and I was terrified!! I couldnt move, I was so scared. My Dad kept asking if I was OK, but I couldnt talk, I was sure I was going to thrown off the ride. He had to carry me off the ride because I was so scared I wasnt able to move. It was awful.

:rotfl2:

The first time I went on Space Mountain was in 1976. They had the older type 2 in a seat cars then. It's been a long time. While we were waiting in line the ride had a problem and all the lights came on. We eventually were able to ride but I do know what the ride really looks like due to that experience.

It sounds like the early cars used for SM were similar to the ones they use on the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
MatterhornAttrLowBand.jpg

My first time was Spring Break 1976 (JR yr @ Western Mich U).

At that time I still wore glasses, so I was afraid that I would
lose them and put them in my pocket. Quite a thrill when you
are nearsighted and can barely see past your arms length.

Ended up riding 3 times that day.

Forward to Summer 2006 with family and remembered it like it
was last week. Best thing was now I can watch everything,
the wonders of Contact Lenses.

Can't wait until next trip in June 2009 so we can do the
the Magic Kingdom 3X play (SM, BTMRR & SM) my families
favs especially Splash Mountain, DW has to ride at least
10 times per trip. LOL

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Space Mountain was our first ride on the first day of our trip this past December. That morning started off with my 6yo dd falling off her trundle bed. It was only about a 6 inch drop so she never woke up...she ended up rolling underneath my bed. When she went to sit up she hit her head/face so hard on the bedframe she ended up with a big green, swollen bruise on her forehead. It actually woke me up; I thought that the bedframe had cracked until I heard her catch her breath and start to cry. I pulled her out from underneath the bed, after a good cry she proceeded through the morning, breakfast etc, with no problems. So, we proceed to the MK. We were there for the opening, it was breathtaking, we walked right onto Space Mtn. We get into the ride and get fastened in and she starts to get scared...I tell her it will be fun. As we're riding through the darkness, I even start to get scared because I felt like any minute something was going to hit me in the face...I couldn't see ANYTHING. My dd started SCREAMING...she thought she was going to get hit in the face/head...where she already had a huge bruise. I was praying through the whole ride for it just to end. By the time we got off, her whole body was trembling so much we had to carry her. She was afraid of every ride for the rest of our trip. It was a challenge to get her on EVERY ride...who could blame her?!? We manage to get her some of the rides, she had lots of fun but, I bet a million dollars that she'll never step foot on Space Mtn again.

DH and I had been married six months when we first went to WDW in March of 1976. We rode Space Mountain. I was terrified and remember vividly going up the first incline and seeing "mission control." This was amazing stuff for me in 1976!! :rotfl: Remember, Space Mountain was much darker back then and I was scared to death and glad when the ride was over. Somehow I had gotten a cut on my ankle and had to head to first aid. I have only been on it a few times since -- I really don't care for it at all. Too herky jerky. I wish they had a headrest or something!! :confused3

It was August 1978, I was 12 and stepsister was 6. Stepmom was pregnant, so she waited while my dad, stepsister and I rode. When we got up to the front of the line, little sis freaks out and dad says he will ride with her.

I ended up riding in the front seat alone while dad sat behind me and held her. She screamed her head off the whole time. I was scared, but actually loved it. Thus, it started my love affair with roller coasters!

I was 44 and felt like I had to do it with the kids. I absolutely don't do roller coasters, but it was almost okay since it's in the dark and I couldn't see what was going on. That was in 1990. I did it again in 2005 at age 59. Twice was enough. It's just too rough for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter