You Better Start Believing in Success Stories, You're in One! Nov. W.I.S.H Challenge

Well.... here we are, officially in December. This has probably been my LEAST active month in a long time. And it wasn't for lack of want! I loved this month's theme and the QOTD were great! I just had to give up something and unfortunately it had to be DIS time! I'm so sorry!! I've tried to at least keep up with a bit of the chatter and do lots of "likes", but even that has fallen away the past week!

Anyhow.... thanks to our hostess this month @MommaoffherRocker !! Great theme, wonderful pictures and GIFs and QOTD! I can truly appreciate how much time and thought went into the entire month!!

I promise to TRY to participate more in December my friends!..............P

Hey all... has anyone heard from/seen our December hostess (@verleniahall )? According to the DIS she hasn't been here since 11/21. How's this..... we can continue to chat today here on the November thread and if we don't have a new December challenge posted by tonight, then I will step in as hostess for December and start the new thread later tonight??! If you are agreeable to this, just let me know. Or, if I'm overstepping my bounds and someone else is supposed to be hosting that I'm not aware of, I'm sorry to step on toes!!..........P

Last edited:

I'm so glad we are continuing in December! I'll be away the first half of the month but I need you all!!!

I stepped on the scale this morning and have apparently gained seven pounds since yesterday. Which is just bizarre since I have not consumed the contents of my refrigerator - I've actually been eating really well this week - and all systems are working normally. I then weighed the dog, my husband, and a bag of flour. They are fine. So it isn't my scale. It is just me. Confirmed by pants that barely button and a bra that is borderline painful. I'm just going to chalk it up to the ever continuing horrors of perimenopause and hope that it goes away tomorrow. But I'm just sad. I didn't want to start my vacation at the highest weight I've ever been. I'm currently 22 pounds higher than I was on January 1 and 15 pounds higher than the March vacation from h-e-double hockey sticks. At least I'll be buoyant while I'm swimming with dolphins.

I was also too excited to sleep last night and consumed with thoughts of all I need to do today. I should have just gotten up and done stuff! Oh well. I can sleep in the car.

I'm working most of the day today, then home to finish packing, and we are off to Florida!

My woohoo is that after a months long interview process, I was asked to teach a class as an adjunct professor starting in January. Yay!!!!!!! Only one class so I can't quit my day job but I'm excited!

How exciting - Congratulations what a great achievement.

So so confused. Is December 1 an Australian April Fools Day only with pinching and punching?
Do you do that every first of the month or just because it is December first?

lol - hmmm looks like this is an Aussie thing ... we do it on the 1st of every month (not everyone mind you - but its childhood thing that can carry over) the tradition is on the 1st of each month you try to be the first one get the others around you to 'celebrate and bring good luck' to the start of a new month - so you say as you do it "A pinch and punch for the 1st of the month" generally followed by "White Rabbit" which means they can't do it back to you ..... but there can be a follow up by the other person if they are quick enough to beat the White Rabbit which is "A slap and a kick for being so quick" mind you we do pinch and punch very lightly lol well may family does anyway. When I got to the office and I was dating an email I was saving I commented aloud that it was December 1 - and my colleague promptly jumped up to pinch and punch me as well.

Ok so you got me curious - I googled it - it apparently goes back to medieval England and witches - the pinch was a pinch of salt to throw at the witch to weaken her and then the punch while she was weak from the salt.

My woohoo is that after a months long interview process, I was asked to teach a class as an adjunct professor starting in January. Yay!!!!!!! Only one class so I can't quit my day job but I'm excited!

How exciting - Congratulations what a great achievement.

So so confused. Is December 1 an Australian April Fools Day only with pinching and punching?
Do you do that every first of the month or just because it is December first?

lol - hmmm looks like this is an Aussie thing ... we do it on the 1st of every month (not everyone mind you - but its childhood thing that can carry over) the tradition is on the 1st of each month you try to be the first one get the others around you to 'celebrate and bring good luck' to the start of a new month - so you say as you do it "A pinch and punch for the 1st of the month" generally followed by "White Rabbit" which means they can't do it back to you ..... but there can be a follow up by the other person if they are quick enough to beat the White Rabbit which is "A slap and a kick for being so quick" mind you we do pinch and punch very lightly lol well may family does anyway. When I got to the office and I was dating an email I was saving I commented aloud that it was December 1 - and my colleague promptly jumped up to pinch and punch me as well.

Ok so you got me curious - I googled it - it apparently goes back to medieval England and witches - the pinch was a pinch of salt to throw at the witch to weaken her and then the punch while she was weak from the salt.

we can continue to chat today here on the November thread and if we don't have a new December challenge posted by tonight, then I will step in as hostess for December and start the new thread later tonight??!
That sounds good to me. Thanks for volunteering!

This is hilarious, we might have to incorporate it in our house.:hyper:

That is so interesting! Thanks for educating us on this little Aussie tradition.

I forgot where I was...but I'm thinking I ended the month right around 80%. I'm going to adjust next month to do overall days of the month working out instead of a certain number of days a week. Not so much so that I can use it as an excuse to slack one week and then go crazy the next but some weeks it's just difficult for me to get in more than 3 work outs but then the next week I could easily do 5 or 6. I'm not sure why but today I'm in a terrible, terrible mood. I feel bad for the people who have to deal with me today! :furious:

39 hours until vacation!

Such a sweet idea! Will send a card via Owl Post from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter next week.

Also, there are several towns with Christmasy names that will postmark letters you send to the postmaster (put cards with pre-paid postsge in larger envelope addressed to the postmaster and a note asking that they be mailed).

And the USPS is also helping via he anchorage post office:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_583cfd13e4b04b66c01b9c3e/amp?client=safari
@MinnieLovesTigger - thanks so much! I'll look in to getting some cards special postmarks. And thanks to everyone who is going to send a card - I have about 20 myself and so far about 20 gals in my trailer club are sending cards plus what is coming from here is a great start.

I'm so glad we are continuing in December! I'll be away the first half of the month but I need you all!!!

I stepped on the scale this morning and have apparently gained seven pounds since yesterday. Which is just bizarre since I have not consumed the contents of my refrigerator - I've actually been eating really well this week - and all systems are working normally. I then weighed the dog, my husband, and a bag of flour. They are fine. So it isn't my scale. It is just me. Confirmed by pants that barely button and a bra that is borderline painful. I'm just going to chalk it up to the ever continuing horrors of perimenopause and hope that it goes away tomorrow. But I'm just sad. I didn't want to start my vacation at the highest weight I've ever been. I'm currently 22 pounds higher than I was on January 1 and 15 pounds higher than the March vacation from h-e-double hockey sticks. At least I'll be buoyant while I'm swimming with dolphins.

I was also too excited to sleep last night and consumed with thoughts of all I need to do today. I should have just gotten up and done stuff! Oh well. I can sleep in the car.

I'm working most of the day today, then home to finish packing, and we are off to Florida!
Hope you have a joyful trip!

My SIL has been in steady decline this year: she was still working this time last year, having gotten the ALS diagnosis mid-year, but now she is housebound, unable to walk or care for herself. I'm doing a Secret Santa thing and sending them anonymous Christmas cards through out the month: the return address will be "North Pole" and they will be from "Santa", "Santa Claus", "Mr, Claus"... any variation that he is known by. I'm asking co-workers to fill out the cards I send so they won't recognize my handwriting, but I'm also reaching out to others so cards will come from around the country - and world even. So, if so inclined can anyone interested please send a card to:

Vernie Neil and Gina McCauley
3534 SW Elmgrove St
Seattle WA 98126

Thanks a bunch - I know they will get a kick out of it!

Happy to help with this!! I'll let you know when the card has gone postal from New Hampshire!! And your idea has inspired me to do a "secret sister" thing for a family member who could use some encouragement right now..... but since we are her only family in NH, I'm not sure how I would pull this off with anonimity!.......P

I want to thank @MommaoffherRocker for the great questions and leadership this month! I also want to thank everyone who participates! I swear every month I'm going to jump in and be active on the group, but for some reason it's really hard for me. I've come to realize that I'm a quite person in real life and I'm a pretty quiet person here too lol! I read along every day, but never feel I have anything productive to offer, so I just keep quiet.

I ended up 1 pound up from where I started the month, so weight wise not a great month. I need to get myself refocused. This morning I emailed someone that I've heard great things about. She helps people develop personalized meal plans. I've come to realize that even when I lost the 30 pounds that I've lost so far, I really still haven't learned how to eat properly. I basically cut back on portions and snacking (which I definitely needed to do) and haven't really learned to cook and eat healthy. It costs $75/month to meet with her 2 times and develop the plan to last until the next meeting. Even though December is not a great month to begin something like that with Christmas coming up along with all the holiday goodies, I figure even if I could get good evening meals in it would be much better than what I'm doing right now.

So, to wrap up this long post, thanks again to this great group of people! You are all wonderful and motivating! And here's to December - the final chapter of this year - may it be a great month!

I've come to realize that I'm a quite person in real life and I'm a pretty quiet person here too lol! I read along every day, but never feel I have anything productive to offer, so I just keep quiet.
I can relate, Especially on the running threads I am more a lurker than a participant. We would love for you to join in more if you want to but are afraid. Also You may think your posts aren't productive but someone else out there just might. I found this the other day, I was worried about something and after a week of holding back I finally put it out there and it turned out there was many others like me. It made me feel worlds better. I know it is easier said than done!

Sorry for my double post earlier computer and/or DIS were not being my friend last night - I really didn't even think it had posted at all as it all froze and I shut it down!

@pjlla thanks for offering to host us - we know you get super busy if you need some help some days just let us know and we can jump in with a QOTD if needed - but am also super excited for your month as host :-)

We got the Christmas tree and some inside house decorations done last night - although I think the tree needs some more red baubles - so I will have to pick some up. It was the last day of school for the twins yesterday - the grades that were left 7-9 got to got a choice of a beach day or a movie then beach - my kids went with the group of movie then beach - its organised and supervised by the teachers to celebrate the end of the year. The movie was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ... the kids said they really liked it. So that's all 3 of them on summer vacation now and a bit over a week to go for me.

I haven't been off to the greatest start of the new month - but as of tomorrow I am doing a meal plan, shopping and getting back on track!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter