Worst wedding presents ever....

......my DH and I paid for our entire wedding because WE are 'running the show' (I know it's traditional that the bride's parents foot the bill but we wanted our wedding OUR way, and my parents were divorced at the time; I lived with my mom and I knew she couldn't pay for it). Anyhoo, my father didn't have much of a guest list, but at his insistence, we had to invite his orthopedic doctor and wife [ it was a last-minute deal] but my dad assured me that, since he was a big hot-shot NY doctor (many of his patients were NY Jets and Giants, and several NY Rangers as well) we'd probably receive a 'hefty' wedding gift, not that we were inviting people based on how much they were putting into the wedding card, but, my dad was really adamant so, whatever.....the next day, we opened the wedding cards together and began making a list, so as to be able to thank each and every person when we happened upon the good doctor's card, only to find $20 in it! :eek: That didn't even pay for ONE dinner, let alone two. I was so furious at my dad for making me invite this guy, whom I'd never even met, especially since he'd been to the doctor's son's wedding just 5 months prior, and my dad had dramatized about how he and his wife had gone to this really swanky wedding, to which my dad have given a $200 gift for the doctor's son's nuptuals....

....or mebbe I'm overreacting? :confused3

A set of the most ugly gilded coffee spoons I have ever seen in my life. They have little gilded camels on the top of each spoon! From DH's cousin who was working in Saudi Arabia at the time. Never used.

....how can you be sure:confused3

......my DH and I paid for our entire wedding because WE are 'running the show' (I know it's traditional that the bride's parents foot the bill but we wanted our wedding OUR way, and my parents were divorced at the time; I lived with my mom and I knew she couldn't pay for it). Anyhoo, my father didn't have much of a guest list, but at his insistence, we had to invite his orthopedic doctor and wife [ it was a last-minute deal] but my dad assured me that, since he was a big hot-shot NY doctor (many of his patients were NY Jets and Giants, and several NY Rangers as well) we'd probably receive a 'hefty' wedding gift, not that we were inviting people based on how much they were putting into the wedding card, but, my dad was really adamant so, whatever.....the next day, we opened the wedding cards together and began making a list, so as to be able to thank each and every person when we happened upon the good doctor's card, only to find $20 in it! :eek: That didn't even pay for ONE dinner, let alone two. I was so furious at my dad for making me invite this guy, whom I'd never even met, especially since he'd been to the doctor's son's wedding just 5 months prior, and my dad had dramatized about how he and his wife had gone to this really swanky wedding, to which my dad have given a $200 gift for the doctor's son's nuptuals....

....or mebbe I'm overreacting? :confused3

I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to pay for their dinner when they are invited to a wedding.

I didn't get anything really odd or weird. But my sister-in-law and brother got a wooden box, with some sort of straw in it, and these strange objects that they, nor anyone opening gifts with them, could identify. After some google searching (because she needed to thank the person for what they were) she found out they were bird call whistles.:confused3

Not a horrible gift I guess, but not something they would ever use. Made me laugh anyway!

I think the best part of the story is when she retells it. It's only if you ask her the weirdest thing she got, and she tries SO hard to tell it in a thankful tone. She really is the sweetest girl. However I'm not and whenever she gets to the "And then I found out they were bird whistles! That's kind of neat!" I roll on the floor laughing lol.

I think she meant that she's never used them. I could be wrong though!

No, I have never used them! Although, come to think of it, DH's cousin's wife just handed the spoons to me, just wrapped in some tissue paper and I had to wonder about that--did she break up a set of these things? Or had she already used them? (This was the woman who had everyone over to her house for a buffet lunch, and when I looked up at the light fixture over the table where she had the buffet laid out, I saw at least one dead spider--so her housekeeping is sketchy at best).

Just can't picture little camel-topped gilded spoons resting demurely on my coffee cup saucers! Perhaps part of my aversion stems from the fact that I encountered real camels, up close and personal, during a trip to the Middle East, eons ago!

Not the worst but the most surprising. For my shower the hostess had everyone who was married right down advice and what they love abut being married. I read through them all afterward with my husband. When I got to my 85 year old grandmother's note, I was touched by how sweet it was, then I got to the end, she had been talking about all the great things about marriage and chose to end it with, "and sex...Yes!". We almost fell over laughing.

A fire extinguisher and a flannel stadium blanket.

Talked about how strange it was forever, until one day someone said, "Maybe it was meant to put out the 'fire' that would happen under the blanket".

Still a strange and dumb gift regardless of what the meaning was supposed to be.

We got very few wedding gifts that weren't $. (we kinda had a shot-gun wedding - I was admitted to the hospital to have my baby the day after my wedding - literally!)

Anyway, we had a large poster frame and a black leather scrapbook. No card accompanied these gifts that were wrapped in the same paper. With what we were able to piece together, we figure they came from DH's former room-mate. Backstory... DH lived with this man, and shortly after we told him I was pregnant, he approached me and said "He can't take care of you the way I can. I'm willing to take care of you and whoever might come along *wink, wink* I have a great job, I own a house (that DH was living in with him, and paying him rent)" I told DH what happened and we decided that he needed to move out ASAP. So, we got an apt, and as we were moving DH's stuff out, room-mate was yelling "You won't last two years!"

We think the gift was his "apology" that he sent with mutual friends. Before I was pregnant, he was a really nice, fun guy to be around. But what a creepy guy he became! I really felt that DH might be in danger there, as I think that guy was mentally unstable, having had been through a very rough break-up himself the year before.

Oh, and we'll be celebrating 10 years married later this year. 2 years, my ****. I really wanted to call him on our 3rd anniversary....

The check that bounced.

I had 3 of these lovely gifts at my wedding. the best was a few years later one got married and was so mad that she had bounced checks at hers. I laughed and said yup had few at mine too. She shut after that.(I gave her cash)

:banana::banana::banana:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: no words, just :rotfl: paper plates, used spices, a bobble head, a MIL ~worst gift ever! I'm loving this thread :)

I was going to just post a quesadilla maker. LOL

Hey, I registered for a Quesadilla maker... lol! and we enjoyed it until it died and we replaced it about 2 years ago :0) But, we did get about 3 coffee makers 1- had clearly been used, the other was re -gifted (they forgot to remove the gift receipt that had expired and was originally for "Rob & Angie" ) and the last one was an opened box one that was missing a couple of parts! I mean if you're not going to get something off of the registry just get a gift card.

I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to pay for their dinner when they are invited to a wedding.

.....no, absolutely; I totally agree with you. But, whenever we've been invited to a wedding, two things we take into account when giving a money gift is 1) how well and how long we've known the person getting married (or if they are a close relative) and 2) an idea of what it's costing the couple....

After complaining about everything in the wedding, and changing her dress at the last minute to match the color of my mom's, my MIL gave us books about keeping the sanctity of Jesus in our marriage and how to convert a non-believer to her (and supposedly my new husband's) religion.

I don't know if many would clasify this as bad (DH sure doesn't) but the groomsmen went in and bought us (Ok him) a cross bow for hunting. Not exactly what I was looking forward too...although it does provide me with some peace and quiet when he goes hunting so maybe it's not so bad afterall :rotfl:

Not really bad, but unusual for wedding gifts. One of my friends gave us an atlas. Yep, maps of all the countries in the world.
One of DH's friends was apparently miffed that too many gifts were for the bride, so he gave "us" a big old tool box.
Definitely different!

Reactions: HM
Not really bad, but unusual for wedding gifts. One of my friends gave us an atlas. Yep, maps of all the countries in the world.
One of DH's friends was apparently miffed that too many gifts were for the bride, so he gave "us" a big old tool box.
Definitely different!

My boss gave us a camping tent. She also thought that wedding gifts were too "girl" centered and she knew I disliked camping and husband adores it and camped all of the time. One of the better gifts we got, actually. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter