Worst wedding presents ever....

DH & I were given an ugly light blue blanket with an American Indian design on it from my parents' friends. It did not go with my color scheme or décor at all. I wanted to give it away, but it was super soft so DH wanted to keep it. It sat in a closet for years until my son found it. He LOVES that thing! He took it to college with him this year - 25 years after we got married!

My cousin complained because she & her husband received a set of smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector from the groom's aunt & uncle. I actually think it was very thoughtful gift. :confused3
I don't have any complaints about anything that we received.

Our "worst" gift turned out to be our best. A rather well-to-do friend of mine gave us a large porcelain figurine of a wedding couple. It was from a well known maker that many people collect, but it just wasn't our style. We didn't have a gift receipt, but we knew that one of the department stores we had registered at carried this brand, so we took it there to see if we could get store credit. We had no idea what it was worth, but we figured that they would give us something for it. The store was happy to give us full credit for the item and it turns out that this figurine was so expensive that we could use the store credit to complete the entire remainder of our china and flatware patterns. When I found out how much my friend had spent and what the figurine was worth, I felt guilty in returning it. But in the end we were able to complete our registry, so I got over it.

DH & I were given an ugly light blue blanket with an American Indian design on it from my parents' friends. It did not go with my color scheme or décor at all. I wanted to give it away, but it was super soft so DH wanted to keep it. It sat in a closet for years until my son found it. He LOVES that thing! He took it to college with him this year - 25 years after we got married!

dd will be moving from her shared to her own apartment at college this summer so I recently was showing her some items in my appliance closet that she can have vs. spending money to buy. dd noticed a few items and was THRILLED that I was willing to let her have them. why not............I've had them for 25 years (next month:lovestruc) and while they were well intentioned wedding gifts we just never used them more than maybe once but I never got around to giving them to goodwill-a metal tray that has a small round hotplate in the middle for hot nacho cheese sauce, a small rectangular currier and ives themed thingy that has 3 small warming elements-so small you could maybe put a coffee cup on each-and an 'electric fajita maker' (like an electric skillet only with ridges that are a p.i.t.a. to clean and a separate flat area with a lid to hold the tortillas).

my mom and several aunts thought it was mine/dh's worst wedding gift but the 4 bath towels my 'frugal', apocalypse prepper cousin gave us from his stash of army surplus auction purchases were the most durable towels I've ever had. granted they were an odd color that morphed over the years but they didn't become unusable for bathing for at least 10 years and even then they lasted another 10 or 12 as garage/car towels. those suckers were hecka durable!

now that I think about it, that cousin is in his 90's now so if the apocalypse doesn't happen soon the family members who will be dealing with his prep stash upon his passing could be set with towels for life!

When I worked as a teacher I received a few interesting gifts of appreciation. The oddest were decorative butter spreading knives.

I am a teacher and that's where I get all my gifts that I regift. I don't go to many weddings but for Christmas I always get a few oddball and/or knick-knack type gifts that I will never use from my well-meaning kids and their parents. (They are properly thanked, but some people just don't know me at all! Earrings, really? I NEVER wear jewelry and have never had my ears pierced.)

My family also tends to have people show up last minute at family Christmas gift exchanges. I wrap them up, and put a post it on it as to what it is so I can just fill in the "To" the day of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter