World's Largest McDonald's on way to Windsor Hills

hlbrink

Mouseketeer
We will be arriving in Orlando around lunchtime and since we can't check in our townhouse until 4:00, I thought we would take the kids to lunch at that huge McDonald's that was featured on the Travel Channel. Not my idea of a great first-day meal, but this is my first trip to WDW with the kids and I am making it all about them :thumbsup2

If I MapQuest it, the directions say to take 528 to Sand Lake, than travel over seven miles on Sand Lake to reach the restaurant. Is this the best way to go or is there a better way? Thanks!

Also, if you have eaten there, is their "Bistro Menu" available from counter service or do you have to eat in a different area?

RUN. I took my DGS there one evening after we did IOA. This was in May 2006. Crowded, loud, dirty, unsupervised kids running around. Even the workers seemed "dirty". Picture Chuck E Cheese on super steroids, on a rainy Saturday, with 50 birthday parties going on, in what might not be a super nice part of town.

I would take them to Downtown Disney, Rainforest Cafe is a cool place to eat, there is the Lego playground and if warm enough the water section---pack a change of clothes/swimsuit for them. Depending on when you go the T-Rex restaurant may be open.

Or the Animal Kingdom Lodge--have lunch at their quick service place and walk around and look at the animals. They also have an arcade.

Or Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge for interactive fun and lunch. Then hang in the arcade there.

We are renting a unit at Windsor Hills and I was told that we couldn't check in until 4:00, but could use the facilities (clubhouse, pool, etc...) for the full day on check in and check out.

We plan on having bathing suits and towels available and hanging out by the pool prior to check in!!:cool1:

Yes, I agree with Belle1962.

My son saw that same show on travel channel and was so excited to go to that McDonalds. We went on a Friday for lunch at the end of our trip, on our way out of the orlando area. The whole place seemed grimy--there were ants on the first table we sat at! There was one of those booths for the timeshares right in the front entrance of the McDonalds, and I saw one of their employees aproaching and soliciting customers as they sat and ate their meal!:eek:
The bistro meals were ok. The children got regular mcDonalds fare, while my husband I got bistro meals. The problem was you get your bistro meals from a different location than the regular McDonald's fare, and it took A LOT longer.

Upstairs was basically like a Chuck E cheese--with the games that you play for tickets, then exchange the tickets for little prizes. Ther was a little play area too-with tunnels and stuff, but my kids weren't even interested once they saw all the lit up, blinging games.

The place was pretty empty when we were there (i think there were only 3 other families in the upstairs), but it was still giving me a headache. I can't imagine what it would have been like with a crowd!

I agree with the above posters, the place is a pit. Just dirty. With lousy service. Not the easiest location to get in and out of, either. There are much more fun things to do around town--heck, I can think of a dozen "normal" McDonalds in the area I'd rather eat at.

OP, I did the same as you on our first trip. Thought it would be really cool for the kids (plus, at that time, you could print coupons for free kids meals. Not sure where I got them).

We went once, and have never considered it again. It was okay, but not great, and as the other posters said, kinda dirty. Lots of much better places to have lunch on route.

Oh my goodness - thank you all for your replies. I didn't even mention this idea to anyone in the family, so I will just bury it. I am so grateful for these boards :worship:

Maybe we will go somewhere closer to Windsor Hills and enjoy the amenities until 4:00. I'm keeping an eye on our unit - as of now, there will be no one there the day before we arrive. Maybe the owner will let us in a few hours early.

Don't forget expensive to. It cost 5.00 dollars for slice of cake. Okay I understand that it's tourist town. But that's crazy.

If you are in a McDonalds mood, I'd got to the one in DTD. It has a really fun playground and Legos to play with. Plus you can look around at DTD and get "in the mood!" I always hit that one up when we take out trip to Once Upon a Toy for my DS's annual Potatohead box!

Ditto to all of the above. We went by there for breakfast one morning. I can not even describe how "icky":sick: it was. My girlfriend Haley owns (that is the only reason we checked it out) several McDonalds in my area and she was so "skeeved" out that she called corp on them before we left. Waste of time and the Travel channel should be ashamed.

Thank you so much for posting this as we saw the show on travel channel and now will NOT be going.

Thanks to the poster who suggested Animal Kingdom's quick service. We'll try it.

We went...won't go back. It's expensive, crowded, noisy...not a pleasant dining experience. I'd go to DTD.

The DTD one is really nice. You can sit outside near the lagoon thing, and it's very easy to find. Can't miss it. It's a little more expensive than your average McD's, but it's a vacation, right?

We love DTD for those more relaxing days. Haven't been to that other McD's, but I've seen it from the road and thought about it! Glad I read this thread!

I wish I had seen a thread like this before we went. DH and I were also yukked out and would never go back.

We are renting a unit at Windsor Hills and I was told that we couldn't check in until 4:00, but could use the facilities (clubhouse, pool, etc...) for the full day on check in and check out.

We plan on having bathing suits and towels available and hanging out by the pool prior to check in!!:cool1:

I'm so glad to hear this. Did you get this from your rental owner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter