Wk of June 17--WISH Walking/Running Club

Sunny-I know it has been said already but we are here for you girl. I am so sorry you are having to go thru all of this and I hope you will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. But I guess going back to work with all of those characters might add to some distraction.

Cam-WTG for finishing!:cool1: I am so proud of you, you rock!!!!! Call me if you & Judy need bailing out!

SWDave-great job on the LR. And just think, July is just around the corner!

Christa-Just reading your posts exhaust me. Please bottle whatever gives you all that energy & send me some. I'll pay handosmely for it!:thumbsup2

Leana-never heard of an Indian head massage, but enjoy! Boy it sounds like you are tring to give Christa a run for her money with all your activities!

Colleen-How ya doin?! Good luck on your MCM training! I know you will have fun.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend!

Well... just wanted to pop in to log my training from this morning. I woke up at 5:30, ate, got ready, and made it to the rail trail by 6:15. Just enough time to stretch out and wait for the sun to finish coming up before I start running. My mileage build up plan, only had me running 4 miles today, but I felt so good I did 6. The 6 this week felt alot better than last weeks, but the time was about the same. Ran the first four miles at about a 9:15 -9:30 pace, then sped up for the last two miles. My overall pace was 8:52 mpm. It felt really good. I think that this coming week I am going to lighten up on the speed work, intervals, sprints, etc... My shins are hurting a little on both legs, and I don't want to push myself too far and end up with a serious problem. I got my ice bath today and feel great. Great enough that I spent the morning/afternoon cleaning out the garage which was getting so bad we were starting to run out of room to walk around the cars!! Now to go ice my shins again, hopefully it will help avoid any further problems too.

Dana

Just a quick drive by.

I picked up our kittens today from our local humane society. Tenton is now Captain Jack Sparrow. The other kitten is an orange tabby who is a few weeks younger than Jack. His name is Will Turner. They have been getting along really well. Will isn't intimidated by Ayla (Chocolate lab) while Jack hisses at her. Ayla sniffed both of them and proceeded to ignore them.

I hope all of you have a magical great weekend!!

Erica:)

He's not at the Lab anymore :hyper2: but he recently was on that new show "Pirate Master". If you happened to watch the first episode, his name is John. He was the first to be voted off. Not surprizing in the least:rotfl2:

Sunny - First off, big :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for you. Best of luck back at work, and I hope the SCS helps you. Second of all, I only caught the first Pirate Master and your story had me :rotfl2: ! I actually mentioned to my SIL, I couldn't believe that someone would put their tagline as scientist/dancer..??? He did seem like a jerk on the show. Too funny that you know him!!!

I had my Indian Head Massage...absolutely wonderful! You get a back, arm, shoulder, face and scalp massage. I then had my bikini boot camp fitness assessment which went well. My instructor is awesome!! She is leading a training group for the Nike Women's half and full marathon in October (which I'm running as well). Last year she was a TNT coach for the event. I'm in the same pace range as her group so she invited me to join them on either their Wednesday or Saturday runs. She's been trained by Jeff Galloway as well. She told me a few interesting things....apparently I am wearing the right shoes, but I'm not striking off on my toes on my right foot - I'm actually striking off on an angle (biomechanics and weak hips), and that will put me in at risk for IT band issues. So apparently I'll have to work on my form, but apparently weak hip issues are common among women. She actually works on a lot of hip stability in boot camp classes, so I really think I'm going to get a lot out of it. Its really exciting that there is a group here training for the same away run as me, so I'm looking forward to meeting them. Oh, on the fitness part of things apparently I'm in pretty good shape (despite all my running, still somewhat of a surprise to me). And she says my weight is pretty good, apparently I don't need to lose that much. And here I thought I had about 20 lbs to go....

Have a good weekend everyone!

Good evening everyone. Diet continues to go pretty well, down about 18 lbs., but still trying to get consistency in the training. I've been getting in 2 to 3 one-mile to mile and a half walks
over the past few weeks, but the hips (muscles around them) and back continue to let me know on occassion that this is still relatively new to them and they're not fully on board yet. However, I intend to convince them otherwise.

My instructor is awesome!! ... She told me a few interesting things... weak hip issues are ***mon among women. She actually works on a lot of hip stability in boot camp classes, so I really think I'm going to get a lot out of it.

Although I'm not quite ready for a bikini/speedo yet (maybe after lossing another 150 lbs or so-- I don't want to risk permanently scarring any young children or being accidently harpooned), I would be interested in hearing about the hip stability exercises when you start them. My hip weakness is the result of numerous hip surgeries over an 18 month period. I'm still working on trying to get the muscle stregnth on that side back.

As WWDave has not posted a daily joke (unless his thread on Princess Kim's trip from the Arctic counts), I'll share an oldie:

A young man regularly goes into an Irish pub in Boston and always orders three beers at once and drinks them all. After a few weeks the bartender asks the man about this drinking method. The man explains that he has two brothers, one still in Ireland and another in Australia. The brothers promised each other that whenever any of them went out for a pint, they would also have one for each of their brothers. One day in March, after not being at the pub for a few weeks, the young man showed up and only ordered two beers. A hush fell over the pub regulars and the bartender had a solemn look as he served the beers. The bartender finally said to the man: "I'm sorry about your loss. Was it sudden?"

The man had a confused look on his face and asked: "What are you talking about?"

The bartender explained: "You only ordered two beers, so I assumed one of your brothers had passed away."

The man replied with a smile:"No, both my brothers are fine. I gave up drinking for lent."

Did another 5 k last Sunday.

Here is the report:

I did the Johnny Miles 5 k race last Sunday in New Glasgow. It was a beautiful day - no rain in sight. It was a bit warm in spots and about 23 degrees Celcius to start but I was quite ***fortable most of the time.

Once again, I was worried about my training because I still have issues with my feet - one turns in, the other turns out and I have had my orthotics adjusted three times as a result. But I had lots of time and not starting was not an issue from my point of view.

It was a little hairaising at first because I decided not to go down the night before and was scheduled to depart at 6 a.m. with a friend of mine. We got a little delayed and when I got there, I had five minutes until the start and could not find my coach, Jeanne, who had picked up my race pack the night before. No bib, no chip, no start!

Fortunately, my friend Sue located her and she put the chip around my ankle quickly while I pinned on the bib. Sue was there to hold my belongings and off I went.

The race actually starts in two waves - the 5 k and 10 k go first and then the full and the half.

The 5k folks start with the 10k but make a turn part way, go through a trail, and then turn again to go toward the finish - which is the same area as the start.

Anyway, once I sorted though the mass confusion at the start I turned a corner and guess what - a hill! Great, just what I needed. I was panting when I got to the top and, of course, all by myself. The course marshall (who looked so young, I wondered where his mother was!) looked at me strangely, but that is more than understandable. I sure don't look like anyone doing any kind of "fitness" thing. Guys, what can I tell ya, I just like to walk and I like to "race". I am getting good results, the weight is dropping (when I am consistent that is) and I am "hooked" without a doubt.

Next part of the course is a straight, relatively flat street. The street is not closed off but there are orange "pythons" as I call them blocking off a small section to the left. I try to stay out of the way by walking down the sidewalk instead of the road, but people join me there anyway.
I got many words of encouragement and some pats on the back. Such a wonderful running ***munity! It never fails to blow me away. Keep it up folks, I cannot tell you what that means to someone like me.

I make the 5k turn. Lovely trail, mostly flat (parts are wheelchair accessible) and lots of benches. Too many actually. My coach tells me she has to find me a course without so many benches (she jokes) because I sat too much - probably more than I needed to. Could not get my darn bib to stay on and I was just enjoying my music. ( I was even listening to Paris Hilton once - hey we were both climbing "hills" after all).

When I get to the end at the top of the hill, I really need a washroom, but alas none on the 5k route - my only criticism actually. I sit down at a picnic table as I hit my "wall" - I am dehydrated and starting to "bonk". I take a GU and powerade, chased by water and refuse to get up off the bench until "Hey Jude" finishes playing (see what Jeanne means about the benches?).

I get to the turn, another fresh face volunteer and I am on the home stretch. Too much stretch and not enough home though, I am really not doing so great. Some folks rigged up their garden hose to spray on the runners, feels wonderful but I am afraid of frying my tunes so I don't get too close.

Finally, I see Jeanne, and she joins me. By then, I am dehydrated and grumpy, absolutely certain, of course, that I am never doing this "race stuff " again. Jeanne tells me that I cannot make decisions like that on a race course and that I am almost there. I don't know how she puts up with me.

There is another garden hose, I get closer. It feels great and there is a nice cool breeze too. A few more doors down, a lady is passing out freezies. I get a blue one and start sucking on it when I spot the Finish Line - is that really the finish? Yes. I walk by the announcer plate, they announce my name and I am over the finish. The medal ***es on, the chip ***es off, the medic ushers me to a seat when I assure him I am fine (all I ever really need is a drink a seat and a bagel when I finish these things -never the medic tent).

They hand me a water and a cute little towel saying "Johnny Miles finisher" and I am basking in my "success".

The Stats

Well, still slow, but nearly twenty minutes faster than Bluenose in May. Actually, the Garmin says that I did it more than 30 minutes faster, but had more rest time. Too much time on the bench. Have to stop that.
I have another 5k set on July 8th at the "Rock and Run" festival in Miramichi, New Brunswick.

It would be less painful with more training and, of course, less weight, but we are working on the latter.

Except for a grumpy guy who did not want me to pet his little dogs and one fellow who barrelled right into me when running (I had moved as far to the side as I could) and got me wet because he was soaked, the whole experience was very, very positive.

Linda

P.S. I was not only faster, but, for once, was not DFL! There was a guy some 15 - 20 minutes behind me - walking on his hands perhaps, but still...
:donald:

Linda cool report thanks for sharing.

Bill, where you been Dude. Yes I did he funny story with Kim instead of a joke. Please feel free to add a funny when ever you want to.

As I type this I have kittens all over me. Erica, the Pretty Princess has brought home the most adorable little kittens. (Of course we will not tell her they are). They are batting my fingers as I type.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8643222

This is Will Turner

The Lab is going to have a complex.

We had a storm today and the power went out at the mall so I got to go home early. I like it, I still get paid for my whole shift. This has never happened before.

Have a great evening y'all.

Dave:hippie:

nepatsfan73 - I'll let you know what exercises we wind up doing!

Linda - Congratulations on your 5K! It is great to hear that you are making improvements. That is definitely what keeps us coming back. (Plus the medals help too!) Don't take it too personally about the guy not wanting you to pat his dogs though. One of mine is a rescue and has a history of biting, so I definitely appreciate the folks who ask to pet him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter