Wk of June 15 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Hey Disneyland Half WISH team :

Los Angeles got up to 113 degrees on Thursday, according to my friend who lives there. Expect the same weather in a another 71 days or so.

Have a great weekend all, good safe racing and training everyone!

Here's a great article on hydrating in our local paper today.

Fun in Hawaii sun calls for proper hydration

Hawai'i's reputation as an ideal playground for recreational athletes is founded on the reality of clear skies and sunshine virtually all year long.

But year-round sunshine, especially in our signature high-humidity summer months — requires year-round vigilance for dehydration, heat exhaustion and other dangerous conditions.

At this week's U.S. Youth Soccer Far West Regionals at the Waipi'o Peninsula Soccer Park, as many as a dozen players and spectators have been treated for dehydration and heat-related illness.

The prevailing assumption is that many others suffered minor heat-related symptoms that, while easily avoidable, could have escalated to more serious conditions.

Cynthia Shimoda and Alison Kuramoto are among a team of athletic trainers on hand to treat the estimated 8,000 players, coaches, spectators and administrators on and around the fields this week.

Both have seen their share of overheated athletes in need of cooling care, and both are quick to emphasize that nearly all of the cases they've seen could have been avoided.

"If you're thirsty, it's already too late," Shimoda says. "You're already dehydrated."

As Shimoda notes, proper hydration is crucial for the body's highly efficient cooling mechanisms to work properly.

Under normal conditions, the body reacts to excessive heat by sweating. As perspiration evaporates from the skin, the body slowly cools. (Heat is also lost by breathing out moisture.)

However, if a body is not properly hydrated, the system can't work as efficiently as it should and the resulting accumulation of excess heat begins to quite literally cook the person from the inside out.

"When you're sweating, your skin will be cool and clammy," Shimoda said. "But when you stop sweating, the skin dries. At this point, your body is going into shock and is shutting down."

Dehydration may result in heat exhaustion, the symptoms of which include heavy sweating, cramping, nausea, fatigue and dizziness.

Untreated, heat exhaustion can progress into heat stroke, a potentially fatal condition that occurs when the body's temperature exceeds 104 degrees.

Symptoms of heat stroke may include rapid heartbeat, elevated or lowered blood pressure, confusion, headache, nausea and fainting.

Ultimately, heat stroke may result in organ failure, coma and death.

Shimoda and Kuramoto say maintaining proper hydration is an ongoing process. They advise athletes to stay hydrated well before the start of any athletic event. Consuming at least eight ounces of water or sport drink before an event should ensure a healthy start.

Athletes can also minimize the enervating effect of the sun by wearing light breathable fabrics (synthetics like DryFit work well in wicking away moisture for proper evaporation), applying and reapplying sunscreen (minimum spf 30), and shielding themselves with UV-protective sunglasses, hats and umbrellas.

Once activity begins, athletes need to rehydrate regularly, though the exact amount will vary based on exertion and climate conditions. Endurance athletes, for example, are advised to drink six to eight ounces of fluid every 20 minutes.

One reliable measure is the so-called pee test: If an athlete's urine is clear, he or she is adequately hydrated. If it's dark yellow, chances are dehydration is occurring.

As many young athletes learned this week, humidity can exacerbate heat-related problems because moisture in the air can impede perspiration.

Mild dehydration can be treated by drinking water and/or sports drink (maintaining electrolyte balance is important to allow muscles to absorb fluid), changing into dry clothes, applying cool towels and resting.

More serious forms of heat exhaustion may require immediate icing, an IV infusion for faster rehydration, and immediate medical attention.

TIPS FOR COMBATING, TREATING HEAT AILMENTS

Dehydration can affect an athlete's ability to perform, causing headaches, cramps and excessive fatigue. Coupled with playing in a hot and humid climate, dehydration can cause heat illnesses such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

The National SAFE KIDS Campaign suggests children over 90 pounds should hydrate with 6 to 12 ounces of water or a sports drink at least one hour before practice. During activity, children should be drinking 6 to 9 ounces every 20 minutes.

Below are more tips.
FLUID EXAMPLES FOR CHILDREN

Over 90 pounds: 1 hour before activity, 6 to 12 ounces

Under 90 pounds: 1 hour before activity, 3 to 6 ounces

During activity: every 20 minutes, 3 to 5 ounces (under 90 pounds), 6 to 9 ounces (over 90 pounds)
After activity: to replace fluids, up to 8 ounces per half pound lost (under 90 pounds), up to 12 ounces per half pound lost (over 90 pounds)

DEHYDRATION

Signs and symptoms

Dry mouth

Thirst

Being irritable or cranky

Headache

Seeming bored or uninterested

Dizziness

Cramps

Excessive fatigue

Child not able to run as fast or play as well as usual

Treatment

Move child to a shaded or air-conditioned area. Give him or her fluids to drink

HEAT CRAMPS

Signs and symptoms

Intense pain (not associated with pulling or straining a muscle)

Persistent muscle contractions that continue during and after exercise

Treatment

The child should be given a sports drink to help replace fluid and sodium losses

Light stretching, relaxation and massage of the cramped muscles may help

HEAT EXHAUSTION

Signs and symptoms

Child finds it hard or impossible to keep playing

Loss of coordination, dizziness or fainting

Dehydration

Mel: Wow, that schedule. I don't see how you keep all those things straight, whether in your head, on paper, or with a Blackberry. Too much thinking for me. Your life sounds almost manageable now--so you know it's temporary! :rotfl2: I love that you're describing C25K as relaxing...I think it can be, if we let it be so. And it's good to know that running can be that way: I sometimes get all caught up in distance or pace that we forget about the other aspects. At least I do, and need all the reminders I can get.

Aloha Jeff: Mmmm, buttered popcorn, Raisinets, soda. Wait, it's movies that I like, right? :lmao: I actually do watch movies on my iPod when I'm on the bike or elliptical at the gym, at least when I'm in heavy training. How's that for lame? Thanks for the countdown clock. That'll be fun for me, and annoying for DOOD!

Happy Belated Birthday to Princess #1 (and Mulan and Garfield). Hmmm, I'm betting she's quite the character, huh?

Oh, and good advice to Angie. I need as many reminders about the value of stretching as I can get. Angie, I'm just letting you ask the questions and I'm benefitting from the advice!

Stephanie: I know you're not here--but I hope you have a great time with your GFs. (How could you not?) And I'm looking forward to your review of yoga at the BC. How cool is that?

Frank: I admire that you can work a full day and still run at night (twilight, whatever). Maybe I should try one around that time, maybe on a double-dip day. Not a training run, though, because I think I would talk myself out of it. Sometimes I need to trick my body into doing things. Thanks for the skinny on Van Basten’s possible plans; that would explain a lot, even though I agree with your assessment of the press. Me, I can never wrap my head around lost to win strategies anyway. In case I don't get to another post beforehand, good luck on your 10K!

Ang/Julie/CarolA: If I had sextuplets, I don't think I'd even have the energy to get out of bed.

CarolA: Hopefully your new job will come soon, and you'll get a break! :rotfl: Good luck with this weekend's 6 miler and your upcoming 10K. (So, which is more exhausting--an interview or a 10K?) Is tonight a four-buck Chuck night, in celebration of a long week?

Angie: Yay for rediscovering spinning as your XT activity of choice. As for advice on your marathon, I concur--as usual--with Craig. Especially because you're injury-prone. I'm working on adding some speed to my base miles now, but will start training for the marathon soon, as I am also prone to injuries. That way, I can skip WOs and recover if I have to. My long-term plan is to have a fairly high-mileage base. Not quite year-round training, but something I can easily adapt for longer races. Sort of like the June Runner's World training plans for base training that allows you to convert to a 1/2 or full with 4 weeks' notice.

Oh,and I don't know if this matters, but I think you're doing a great job of being cautious and with handling your nervousness. It's only natural to be worried, but you're seeking out advice and following it! :thumbsup2

Jackie: :hug: on your bad run. I know it's small comfort, but on your worst run you managed to finish, do more hill work, and remain uninjured. And coming off your runs this weekend, I'd say you were doing quite well. I know you were disappointed and I'm not trying to dismiss your reaction--wanting to cry, been there! Just trying to find some silver lining in the run for you.

Craig: As you can tell, I liked your advice to Angie. The easing off for a week every month is a strong one, I think, and follows many training plans. You should come up with the Craig/WISH plan for avoiding injury! :thumbsup2 I guess I didn't know/remember you'd injured your hamstring before this year's marathon! Wow. I'll be very interested in your strategy for the Goofy, as I'll be doing that for 2010.

Oh, and
Remember I'm an educator, so I think I give good advice, but sadly I don't often take it.
So true, for all of us!!! :rotfl2:

Tracey: Oh, it's a toe sock. How cute! :lmao: I'll have to look into one, although so far my toenail is hanging on. (The other toenail grew out without incident.) Thanks for the resource. And good advice, Aloha Jeff! I think most of us follow those strategies--I know I do--but a reminder is always helpful. :thumbsup2 Even if, as with me, they haven't solved the problems.

Howard: Great time--and what a way to shave off the minutes, let alone the seconds! That's a great time, especially given how much faster your time was than even your (ever-improving) splits! Sounds like you were running a good 5K race!

Kira: I don't know if you'll get this, what with you being in AZ and not knowing about the internet access and all. But I hope you're having a great time enjoying all the sights and your modified training plan. (So long as you're out there doing it, I'm sure you'll be fine!)

Leana: How's your tri training coming?

CB Michelle: I think summer is a busy time for everyone. It just feels like there's more hours in the day, kwim? And I want to pack a lot of outdoor stuff in when it's nice. You, on the other hand, have all those impulses I'm sure. Plus engagement parties, invites, "save the date" stuff, fittings, goody bags, registries, and so on. (See, I knew a courthouse wedding had its advantages!) But it's good to know you're keeping up with the running, as is your Mom I assume. You'll not only be ready for this January but be smokin' in your dresses! :smokin: And the pilates ain't bad for the running, either!

Judy: :wave2: Miss seeing you around, but I love how you're so supportive of Howard. Now, would you like to lay a little wager on that one? ;) Not that I don't believe in your abilities, Howard, I just need a way to pay for my Disney trips.... (So throw the race, will ya?!)

As for me: Jeff's last post made me thirsty, so I'm off to get a drink of water. Then again, maybe it's because I had a long XT session, including weights. Tomorrow is a short run, followed by errands and maybe a silly movie (off the bike). Any suggestions?

Jeff: Thanks for the info and will def keep in mind while training. Just remember what I said about you finishing, getting a shower and coming back to watch me finish and if you could have an ice cold wet towel, water, special treat waiting for me. I'll be out on course for about 3hours and 15min but hopefully not that long, that is as long as I'm not dragging my feet along behind me.

Jeff: Thanks for the info and will def keep in mind while training. Just remember what I said about you finishing, getting a shower and coming back to watch me finish and if you could have an ice cold wet towel, water, special treat waiting for me. I'll be out on course for about 3hours and 15min but hopefully not that long, that is as long as I'm not dragging my feet along behind me.

Tracy,

We'll probably get a massage at the Kaiser tent, then walk to CA Adventure to take our annual medal photo (free with Disney Visa Card), then head somewhere to have brunch. Then off to the hotel to clean up, and then move rooms.

Yeah, after all that I'll still have time to meet you at the finish, with ice cold towel, hand made ice cream, cookies, churros, cotton candy, oh and a mint julip. :rotfl2:

Nah, I'll likely cruise this run with my friends, so I can capture everyone with my camera. My fastest is 1:59, and last year in the heat we took 2:50, only because we stayed together the whole way. With the heat already, I know I'm not going for a PR in August.

Jeff - GREAT idea of using the free meet and greet photo! Why didn't I think of that??? I am so going to steal that idea!:thumbsup2

Oh and I will probably be coming in with Tracy...so make that an order for two! :rotfl:

Jeff - GREAT idea of using the free meet and greet photo! Why didn't I think of that??? I am so going to steal that idea!:thumbsup2

Oh and I will probably be coming in with Tracy...so make that an order for two! :rotfl:

Tracy & Michelle,

Whoa, now I'm going to have to find a cooler, LOL.

On the days leading up to the half, I make sure I go to the photo meet and greet each morning, and then keep the voucher for Sunday.

On race day, we carry our park tickets, photos vouchers, and Disney Visa cards with us during the race. After lingering around the finish line, we go directly to the character photo, and get a group shot of all of us wearing our bling.

Because I saved the vouchers during the week, each of us in the group gets a team photo to take home! Just remember the meet and greet photo operates from 10 am to 11:30 am (or 12 pm?).

This is after finishing the Goofy 2008

100_7249.jpg

The Disneyland Half 2007

DisneyHalf2007.jpg

The Disneyland Half 2006

DisneyHalf2006.jpg

Whooo hoooo :cool1: I scored a brand new Garmin 405 w/heart rate monitor tonight. Someone had it posted online, and I was the first caller. I'm charging it up, and will break it in on Saturday. I lucked out and got it for less than the manufacturer's suggested retail price. :thumbsup2

Yea!!!

Jeff said:
Whooo hoooo I scored a brand new Garmin 405 w/heart rate monitor tonight. Someone had it posted online, and I was the first caller. I'm charging it up, and will break it in on Saturday. I lucked out and got it for less than the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Yea!!!

WTG!!! :thumbsup2

Jeff - Hooray on the Garmin! You'll have to let us know how it does.

I thought the running gods only allowed one stonker at the time? :confused3

Went out for a 10 miler with the group this morning, with a timed mile thrown in for fun at the 2nd mile. Left calf has had a serious cramp since Thursday night's stonker run, so knew starting out things could be ugly. Little did I know... Warmup mile was good, then came the timed mile - 10:09. 2 miles down, 8 to go. Hit a hill at mile 3, not a big hill, mind you, just a little incline, and my body said (and I quote) "We're not doing this. I hate running. I don't want to run any more. I want to quit this group. I don't want to do any races this year. We need to turn around and go back." Okay, we're only 3 miles into a 10 mile run, so I argue with the body for a half mile or so, and convince it that I'm not turning around and we're going to suck it up and finish this. I drop to the back of the group, where I meet Cynthia, who is having the same conversation with her body. We decide to take it easy and continue arguing with our bodies until mile 8.5, when the bodies win and we walk the remaining 2 miles back!

The only way to describe the run was awful, but it's over, it's history, and I never have to do it again! We'll be out of town next weekend, and I'm not going to try to get in a LR, so maybe a week off is what my body needs since the past week has been pure torture. I'm going to try doing just the bike and Pilates during the week and see how that works. Now I'm going to take a shower, followed by a nap, and when I wake up maybe the memory will have faded. :sad:

Jackie

Jackie,

Stonker or not, you got it DONE! Way to go.

Had my chiropractor adjustment this morning. Cracked me back into shape! :rotfl:

We went to the movies today, and did a double feature. Indiana Jones, then Kung Fu Panda.

Hi everyone!

I wanted to post my super results from this morning's run, but I can't. I was scheduled to run 7 today, but since I am running in a 5K tomorrow, I was going to go out to do 4 miles today.

I wanted to take it a bit easier today than I have been lately. I ran the first mile in just over a 10 minute pace. Up until then I felt pretty good. As I got into the heart of the second mile, I developed shin splints and/or pain at the top of each foot where it meets the ankle. It happens from time to time and I usually can stop and stretch it out and run again. This time it felt like headaches in my ankles and I decided to walk it out until I felt better. I didn't I ended up finishing the 4.1 miles but it wasn't pretty.

I still feel some residual pain in my ankles some 14 hours later. I will take some advil before going to bed. I am sure I will be fine for the 8:30 AM 5K tomorrow. I am just not sure how hard I am going to push it. It will depend on how the ankles feel tomorrow.

More tomorrow night...

Enjoy your Sunday and Happy Training!!!

:hug:

Howard

Howard, ouch. Best WISHes that tomorrow's event is smooth.

Managed a small w/o this weekend but at least I'm getting some things done. Going to read all the goings on now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter