Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

I have another weird question. I just can't get a handle on my appetite and am looking for more advice (I know there are only 8 days left, but I will go right into training to run a 5 mile race after the 1/2, so I should figure this out). Here is my issue:
This morning I left the house at 6:30 to go to the Y and stopped and got a snickers marathon bar and a 24 oz bottle of water. I ate the bar immediately and started drinking water. I did 30 minutes on a bike at about 85 rpm (not very fast) and then 30 minutes on the treadmill (14:51 pace) and finished about 20 oz water in the interim, all by about 7:50.

Came to work, got a shower and at about 9:15 am was finally in my office, where I ate a pretty substantial bagel w/cream cheese. By 11:30 I was ravenous. It is bizarre. My stomach is growling and I have been downing the water (another 25 oz) and have had 2 cups of coffee, too. I cannot eat the way my body is demanding food, but I can't stand feeling so hungry, either.

For lunch, I have a green salad w/fat free dressing and will add 2 hard boiled eggs to it. What else should I do? Should I maybe get some grilled chicken? Or should I eat some carbs? :confused3

Cam I have the same problem with the appetite. I find the only way I can keep from eating too much and not suffering the "stomach eating itself" sensation is to eat huge amounts of zero pt vegetables. For instance, I had about 5 cups of spring mix (lettuce stuff) with zero calorie dressing and 3 cups of green beans for lunch, along with a boca burger, FF/SF yogurt and orange :earseek: That stuffs my stomach without too many points (4 points total). (Remember I went to Friday's last night and totally pigged out, so today has to be strict).

As much as I am enjoying this taper thing, I really don't want to carry the equivalent of a bowling ball 26.2 miles next week in extra weight!!!!!

BTW, you'll be wearing tights in '07 and possibly doing the FULL :cheer2: :grouphug: :cloud9: :cool1: :banana:

Sunny

Thank you, Sunny! For everything! :hug: I think I will go get some more free salad and add sugar snap peas, artichoke hearts, cucumbers & tomatoes, and my 2 hard boiled eggs (4); I also have a lite yogurt (2).

I just love reading everything now!

Paranoia, excitement, worry, excitement...I'm with ya.

Sunny, yup--I ran last night. TM for about 54 minutes and 4 miles. I actually enjoyed it. Ramped it up a bit for me b/c it was a "short" run. Have been doing only running, no XT to speak of really. The Bingham Marathoning for Mortals plan I am following calls for 6 miles this weekend. Should be a breeze now.

My carry on will contain every running thing I own. I figure if the rest of my luggage getls lost I will at least be able to participate in the event!

Cam, can you break your eating portions into 2? I find if I do that it seems to hold me off from the ravenous feeling a bit longer. I will eat the 1/2 bagel and a little later eat the other half. I do that with the oatmeal packet too. Lunch is simlarly split. Dinner is a bit more difficult to split off.

Thanks to all for the lists. MUST get on that tomorrow. I expect to have everything set up by the end of the weekend.

Thanks to all for the cell #s. I hope to catch up with folks as able.

Cam- I recommend trying on your race outfit the night before and pinning the number on your shirt then. You want to make sure that the number can be easily read in all the photos, especially your finish line shot. Remember, the race number is how they organize the photos on-line and how you can find your photos. It will be much easier to pin on the race number on Friday night then at 3 am on Saturday. Pin the race number on the front of your shirt above where your fanny pack will be.

One more item to add to the growing packing list: chapstick or lip gloss to keep your lips moist

TXBelle said:
Cam- I recommend trying on your race outfit the night before and pinning the number on your shirt then. You want to make sure that the number can be easily read in all the photos, especially your finish line shot.

I am planning on wearing two layers, taking off the long sleeves around mile 16ish. So, do you pin your number on the outside layer and then repin it to your bottom layer later?? I want the number to be showing for the coming through the castle shot, but I think I will still be in my long sleeve.

Any suggestions?

I'm still running a bit. I ran 4 Tuesday, will run 8 tomorrow and probably 4 Monday, then I'm done until the races. I am so scared of tiring my legs before the race.

I also am STARVING all the time. I figure this is normal for training b/c it's been this way for me the last 3 years. I am so impressed with you guys that are sticking to WW. I give in way to easily, so if you are as hungry as I have been then you have the best will power I have ever seen. I give in and eat entire bags of tortilla chips w/salsa every week!
All my friends and family laugh at the amount of food I eat. Thank goodness I excersise to offset some of those calories. :)

Heather: lipbalm is a good suggestion to add to the list. If some people end up not wearing their water belts a tube of chapstick is small enough to tuck in your jogbra, or into the waist of your pants/shorts.

Sunny: Do we need to make you a leash so we can lead you through the dark? Actually that might be a good idea..if you have a leash on, you can pull me behind you and make me real fast!! :cool1:

I have a question. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to buy two extra water bottles for my belt and have DH give them to me filled if/when I pass by him? I don't want to waste money but I thought that if I give him extra bottles to have for me then I won't waste much time trying to fill them up at water stops. Those little 10 oz. bottle caps are hard to screw on and off!

Is that silly?

~bree~

Cam-- speaking of "free food", I have declared oranges free :rotfl: I had a case of FL oranges shipped for Christmas and the crate says that one med. orange has 50 caloreis and 7 g of fiber. According to the WW point formula that makes them free :cool1: I'm eating oranges left and right!

Bree- the extra water bottle idea is awsome. If I had that chance I'd certainly take it. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with filling water bottles either, but Dx will not be following me around the race :rolleyes: so GO FOR IT!!!!! As for the will power, well mine comes and goes in waves. Today's wave is a direct result of last nights overload :teeth: I know my family has been a bit amazed with the plates I've been sitting down with lately, too. I will not wear a leash :rotfl2: So look out, Sunny's comin' and she can't see squat!!!!

Speaking of speed. That is a haunting issue. I have been thinking about pace all day. I know I can finish with a smile on my face at 4:30, I think I can finish with a (forced) smile on my face at 4:15. I want to finish at 4:10. I'm trying to come to grips with myself today. Maybe its just the IC getting way too itchy with all of this tapering. Plus its been so long since I've done an LR on the road that I feel like I don't even know what my pace is anymore. Oh the stress and strain of it all :crazy:

back to work :earboy2:

Lily -- Thanks for the advice about food. I think I may have found a solution. Eat an entire salad from wawa (kind of like a 7-11 store) with hard boiled eggs, as well as an entire salad from the local lunch place. When you are well and truly stuffed, eat a soft pretzel (carb craving), and as everyone around you is eating birthday cake (my partner's b-day) and christmas candy and cookies, satisfy yourself with 7 cashews (3 of which were chocolate covered). Then, if you can roll yourself back to your desk, drink more water to make yourself feel really full so that you don't head back to the kitchen for more dark chocolate covered cashews. All the while, think and plan how you are going to fess up to your WISH friends that sunny's wednesday night meal approach seems to have rubbed off!

Heather -- thanks for the advice about pinning the number while I am coherent. GREAT point!

Hey, did I mention I got my new Maui Jim sunglasses in time for the race? (Mine had been stolen at stormalong bay in August and the cheaper ones I got to replace them just didn't cut it with the sun or on how they fit). I even had the girl at the kiosk tighten them! Interestingly, they are much looser on my face than the other pair. I guess my face really has lost some of its roundness! :teeth:

plutosmyfav said:
Speaking of speed. That is a haunting issue. I have been thinking about pace all day. I know I can finish with a smile on my face at 4:30, I think I can finish with a (forced) smile on my face at 4:15. I want to finish at 4:10. I'm trying to come to grips with myself today. Maybe its just the IC getting way too itchy with all of this tapering. Plus its been so long since I've done an LR on the road that I feel like I don't even know what my pace is anymore. Oh the stress and strain of it all :crazy:

I understand how you feel. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could finish my last marathon in less than 5 hours. For me a 4:30 would be fabulous. But I'd be ok with a 4:45 too. Basically it would be better than the last two years. So you can understand how mad I was at myself for not drinking during the Charlotte race and I came in at 5:13. I keep telling myself all I have to do is run 11s the first half then 12s the second and I'll break 5. My wish is that I'll feel like a million bucks and run 9s the first half then 10s the second, but that's just a wish. :wizard:
Here's what you need to be sure of: 1) don't skip the drinking. Especially if it's going to be a little warm. You won't believe how much this takes a toll on the body. I know I didn't until I actually experienced it.
2) go ahead and be prepared to not run for a few minutes at the start. When the gun goes off you will probably walk across the start line. Make your way over to the side and run around some folks once you cross the start. This is a huge race and there will be tons of people to make your way around, even if you are in a higer corral. Try not to start off fast b/c you will wear out quicker if you do. This is hard b/c you will be excited. Other than that just keep plugging away at the miles, and have fun. This truly is a fun race, especially for those of us "dis freaks" like my DFIL likes to call us. I hope you finish in the time you want Sunny. I have all confidence that you will. You're a pretty determined chick! :)

~bree~

Colleen- Fuel belt makes a race number belt. It is easy to attach your # and you don't need pins. You can just strap it on and it won't matter which shirt you are wearing.

Sara - I am planning on packing next wed. We leave on thurs (i have no idea what time!) That is so pityful isn't it! Do you usually run in shorts on the TM? I was planning on shorts for both races and just having an outer jacket that i can tie to finish when i get warm. What did you wear last year and how was the temp?

Speaking of wearing, I know all you planners are already packed, but I can't figure out what to wear. I'm thinking shorts, running tank and jacket? Does that sound good? I got some new CW-x tights for Christmas, but I'm afraid my legs will get HOT! (All runners have hot legs, right :rotfl2:) What did you guys race in last year and was it comfortable? I will have to plan and pack eventually!

Mel - I wore shorts and a singlet for the full and I was fine. However, it was an unusually warm start. I know a lot of people had problems with the heat. I normally run in shorts and that's what I plan on wearing for both races. I am still unsure of my top half yet...most likely a sports bra, singlet and a long-sleeve throw away shirt.

Best of luck packing the night before. Man, are you brave. I'm sure I'll have more than enough extra 'gear' if you happen to forget something.

zoegirl said:
I hope you finish in the time you want Sunny. I have all confidence that you will. You're a pretty determined chick! :)

~bree~

THanks Bree, you're the best :hug:

I am definitely wearing shorts even if its 30 deg to start. I think I will do a throw away jacket. You can throw them on the the course, right? (well not on the course but somewhere to the side once you are on the course?).

I need to inform Dx that he must carry his allotted carryon, but there will be no room for his clothes in it. I'm also tempted to ask him to wear a giant fanny pack as his "personal belonging" and he can stuff his underwear in there. (He is NOT a fanny pack sort of guy). Then, if all that goes over, I'll ask him to bring his allotted carryon back home with him filled with my stinky race gear. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: Then I'll strap a giant fanny pack on DS as well. We'll make it all carryon one way or another...

As for planning, I'm only planning through Sunday 10AM-ish. The rest will be "TBD".

MelR-- no tummy troubles yet? Looks like your safe :wizard: Phew, good thing you were proactive with the milkshakes :rotfl:

Sunny

okay, all this talk of shorts is making me nervous. Then again, I am ONLY walking the 1/2. Maybe I won't be too hot in my light pants (kind of like yoga pants). Then again, I think I will pack my bike shorts and will try to stretch my WISH shirt enough to provide some serious coverage, just in case I decide to show myself in public in bike shorts and an oversized tee! :rotfl2:

Well I have my travelers checks, the car is washed and it is time to actually put some stuff in a suitcase :Pinkbounc

I also have some new music for my MP3. We have a CD store here that sells used CD's & if you bring them back the next day(after copying them) you only pay $1. I'm sure it's highly illegal , they advertise it as "downloading sucks" so it is their full intent that you copy them. Anyway- I got 3 CD's J. Lo, Britney Spears & Gwen Stefani. Getting ready to work on the playlist now.

I took another day off from exercise. I am almost feeling 80% better, so I figured 1 more day off would do me better in the long run.

My eating has been horrible lately. At least I haven't gained any weight. Don't need anything extra to carry over the finish line.

I cannot believe it is so close :earseek: This is getting very exciting!

I am wearing shorts, it heats up quickly in FL when that sun comes out. I would love to wear my capris because they are more comfy but I am too hot natured to risk that.

Cam-I was considering wearing bike shorts. My WISH shirt is long enough to cover my gut. However when you add the waist pack :scared1: Do not need a picture of that! I'm so proud of how good you've done on the eating front.

I can't wait to meet everyone!!! It's going to be hard for me to leave & get to bed at a decent time.

Hi everyone!

Glad I'm not the only one starting to sweat some of the small stuff. :)

Thanks for all the packing tips. There are definately items on that list that I would have completely forgotten ;) I'm hoping to have a big packing extravaganza right after New Years since I leave on the 4th. I finally purchased my park tickets, so with the hotel room paid off and the flights booked-- there's no turning back now!

Today I did 4 miles in 37:26.91. I guess my body like that pace, since that's almost exactly how fast I went on Monday.

Sadly, I don't have the time to reply to everyone's postings right now (off to a dinner thing), but everyone sounds like they are doing great.

Won't be long now!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

I would like to proudly annouce taht I have not missed a run since teh 20-miler, including not opening presents from dh CHristmas EVe so we could do our 10-miler.

You guys are stressing me out now. I want to start a pile of things ot pack int eh guest room, but we are supposed to have guests in the next few days, provided the ILs are not mad at us. Who knows. :rolleyes:

The snow melted CHirstmas eve and I am praying aht we will have clear pavement until we leave. I do not want to get hurt now!

:wizard: to everyone that we don't get sick!! I've been taking airborne once a day and will increas when we get ready for the plane ride. I've never been so paranoid!

FYI - I ran teh 20-miler in a sleeveless WISH shirt, no alterations that was a bit snug. No chafing.

Keep the taper alll!

MelR, pinning the # on the belt. Hmmm that might be the answer. Will have to check me out on that one.

Shorts and t-shirt will be my plan. If it is going to be as hot as this past January, it will be sleevless and not the WISH shirt. It was hot for me and I only did the half. (May even have to shed to the jog bra, but then there will be NO pics! :rotfl: eek!) I am hoping for a bit cooler, but not cold.

Cam, the light pants will probably be ok I think. Love your meal report!

Didn't do anything physical today. Stood in line for 45 minutes behind some coughing child at a wake waiting for my turn to say goodbye to a friend. Very sad. He just retired a few days and is gone. The worst part is he is my age. Hope I didn't get germies from the young hacking thing in front of me. Sigh.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: PD to everyone to stay germ free and injury free! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Even though I have no reason to taper right now, I feel like I have joined you in tapering anyway! Too much food and inconsistent exercise! Guess I am practicing for next year this time! From reading everyone's posts, I really do feel your excitement and I am determined to be a part of the 2007 half. I am looking foprward to seeing all of you at Trails End. I am sure that will go a long way to boost my motivation.

It is great to see everyone getting so ready for our races next week. I haven't started packing yet but will this weekend. The hardest part will be packing without worrying about all the stuff I generally need for the kids. I imagine I'll be looking for things to stuff in my suitcase if I don't have theirs to take up so much space :)

I had quite an adventure during my 8 mile LW on Tuesday. I was on my last mile and was attacked by a dog. Luckily he did not bite me but he did knock me off my feet and I fell hard on the sidewalk/bike trail. I bruised up my left knee and both my hands were scraped and bruised. My right shoulder is a bit sore but all in all I was very lucky to escape so lightly and hope that is my only close call so close to the race!

Can't wait to see everyone next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter