Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

keenercam said:
I have another weird question. I just can't get a handle on my appetite and am looking for more advice (I know there are only 8 days left, but I will go right into training to run a 5 mile race after the 1/2, so I should figure this out). Here is my issue:
This morning I left the house at 6:30 to go to the Y and stopped and got a snickers marathon bar and a 24 oz bottle of water. I ate the bar immediately and started drinking water. I did 30 minutes on a bike at about 85 rpm (not very fast) and then 30 minutes on the treadmill (14:51 pace) and finished about 20 oz water in the interim, all by about 7:50.

Came to work, got a shower and at about 9:15 am was finally in my office, where I ate a pretty substantial bagel w/cream cheese. By 11:30 I was ravenous. It is bizarre. My stomach is growling and I have been downing the water (another 25 oz) and have had 2 cups of coffee, too. I cannot eat the way my body is demanding food, but I can't stand feeling so hungry, either.

For lunch, I have a green salad w/fat free dressing and will add 2 hard boiled eggs to it. What else should I do? Should I maybe get some grilled chicken? Or should I eat some carbs? :confused3

You have to eat pretty much immediately after your workout. Within the first 20 minutes (posted this in the part about nutrition a while back--may be in the FAQ even). I think what happens is that once you leave that window--your body's ability to replenish what it lost in a quick manner diminishes---leaving that ravenous feeling later on as your body is trying to get what it can from all you are giving it.

In your example above--your snickers bar provided the energy to get through your workout---but you didn't do anything to restore what else you lost aftewards.

You need to eat following the conclusion of your workout for just the purpose of restoring glycogen--and then pick up with actual breakfast at work or whenever. With a post workout refuel (be it a banana or whatever)---then your bagel breakfast at work....you most likely would not have had that ravenous feeling.

Also make sure that the post workout snack has some protein. We are big on PB&J around here.

plutosmyfav said:
Me too :rotfl2: I've been so psyched at the cool temps (current jan 6 is listed as 45/66 degF) and then it dawned on me that we won't be swimming :cold: DS will be quite disappointed. Although, DD and I went swimming at night when it was 45 degF one December (the pools are heated) so we'll see...

Hey--this Florida Girl plans on hopping in the pool after the half--and she's bringing her kids with her!!!

The pools are heated (as I like to say--to prevent hypothermia--not create a warm bath :teeth: :cold: ).

TiffJ said:
T
Race question- those bags they give you to put your stuff in on race morning. how early do you have to turn those in? I was thinking I could put my pants in there before the race starts & have a disposable jacket. Looking at the weather I should be fine starting the race in shorts but I'm sure at 3:30 I will need something on my legs.

Save your bag for post race stuff--they do have a cut off time for turning it in, I do not recall what it is though.

For pre-race warmth--bring throwaway clothes.

Just checked and the bags must be checked in by 5am.

Something to consider--you do not want to waste your body energy by trying to keep warm (via shivering!!!) for even 1 minute. So 1 hour is definitely too long to be in just shorts or whatever race gear you will be wearing alone when it is the 50s or below.

I will be hitting good will when I return to Florida on Wednesday for my toss away clothes.

Disney collects them and launders them for donations--even if you slice them and duct tape them (so they become actual tear away clothes).

Cam- I am soooo sorry to hear about Howard. You guys are in my thoughts & prayers. everyone is right, you are not being selfish. You have worked a long time for this & it is a big deal. I think Howard will agree. I do hope they are able to get him better. Here's :wizard: for getting through the next couple of days :grouphug: (also, you were one of the big inspirations to get me to do this, I really want to meet you)

Lisa-Thanks, got my throwaway pants. They are athletic pants I got for $5 at Wal Mart. Also had to remind my mom. Since she doesnt come on these boards , she didn't even know what throwaway pants were :rotfl2: And I would like to see someone try to keep DS out of the pool next week. Good thing he's old enough for me to sit on the side & watch now. :cold:

Helen-thanks for checking in. Everytime I think I have figured out what to pack the weather changes. Guess I'll just bring everything we own for each season & be done with it :goodvibes

Well today I will do 5 miles & that will be it before I leave in the weeeee hours of the morning on Monday. We are driving so the earlier we leave the earlier I get to DTD. (after checkin, its routine no matter what time we get in town to go to DTD)

I just remembered that today is New Year's Eve. Wow-totally haven't even thought about that. :earseek: Guess my priorities are somewhere else right now.

Cam,

You and Howard are in my prayers and will be all day and night. I am so sorry this is happening to you. I can't even imagine what all you are feeling right now, but don't think negatively of yourself for any feelings, they are natural and you are in a most difficult situation.

:grouphug: Sunny

Unlurking to send Cam as much :wizard: as possible during this time. You are definitely NOT being selfish. It is perfectly normal to think about something you have worked so long and so hard for. I sincerely believe that Howard would want YOU at the starting line even if he has to remain at home.

Do what it best for you in the long run. Just know that you are in all of your thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!

Cam - my thoughts and prayers are with you and Howard for a quick resolution of the pain and the problem. Just do what you need to do for him now and try not to worry about the rest. It'll all come together for you when the time comes, I'm sure. :grouphug:

Thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery.

You are not selfish to want him there, I am sure he really want sto be there also.

Cam, prayers and hugs to you and Howard, I know how emotionally and physically draining it is to go through something like this, but you are one strong lady! Howard is lucky to have you by his side. :hug:

Colleen

Cam, so sorry to hear your newa about Howard. My thoughts and prayers will be with both of you, along with best wishes for Howard's speedy recovery. Hope you are both able to make it here to Orlando. I have been looking forward to meeting you. Howard's recovery is most important though, and I am sure you will not want to leave his side until you are sure he will be OK, I just hope for both of you that he is well enough to make the trip. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Hope everyone has a safe and happy new years eve. We did our celebrating one day early in MK last night. Park was open to all until 1 AM with extra magic hours till 4 AM for hotel guests. All I can say is that after all the walking and other exercise we did yesterday, I think I now understand why you big dogs soak in a cold bath after your workouts! :earseek: By the time we finally got home and got to bed, my legs were killing me! I'm pretty sure if I could have gotten myself out of bed and into the tub I would have felt a whole lot better. I never quite understood before why anyone would want to do a cold soak, but I think I get it now!

A while back there were alot of posts of motivational lyrics. I want to add this one. This song had so much meaning on my 22 miler. Even though physically I was only about 3.5 miles from home and runing in place on a TM, I definitely felt like I had never been so far away:

KAISER CHIEFS LYRICS

"Oh My God"

Time on your side that will never end
The most beautiful thing you can ever spend
But you work in a shirt with your nametag on it
Drifting apart like a plate tectonic
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
It's a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar
Too much time spent dragging the past up
I didn't see you not looking when I messed up
Settling down in your early twenties
Sucked more blood than a backstreet dentist
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
It's a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar
Oh my god, I can't believe it
I've never been this far away from home
And Oh my, god I can't believe it
Great rulers make for greater glory
The only thing growing is our history
Knock me down I'll get right back up again
I'll come back stronger than a powered up Pac-Man
It don't matter to me
It's all I wanted to be
Is a million miles from here
Somewhere more familiar

Oh Cam- I'm so sorry to hear about Howard and his medical issues. You are absolutely NOT being selfish for still wanting to complete the race-- you've worked so very hard.

Lots and lots of :wizard: headed your way!

All my best-
Solotraveler :earsboy:

I've been pretty calm about the race so far. Nervous, but in a good, anticipating, kind of way.
Now that I'm starting to pack - I'm stressing big time! :crazy:

I'm not sure what I'm gonna wear. I have the clothes for the race, but what to wear while waiting for the race to start. I only have one Good Will store near me and they rarely have anything in my size (that I could use for "throwaway" clothes). I've been trying to clean out my closets, so I figured I could take some sweatshirts I don't really wear much anymore and then throw them on the side (since Disney will collect and donate them anyway) I'd only donate them up here, so it wouldn't really matter.
My waistpack (with water bottle holder) got damaged and I need a new one. Gonna try to get one on Monday. Saw one at Sports Authority I kinda liked.
Thought about taking my backpack (it's one of those mesh jersey types - very lightweight) to carry extra Snickers Marathon bars and a couple water bottles for the marathon (I should be ok for the half). I used the jersey bag on some of my training walks (including the 13 miler) and it didn't cause me any problems.

It's raining here so I'm not going out for my scheduled SW. May ride bike trainer instead. Have to be in work at 6:30am tomorrow and then go to the football game late afternoon.
Sorry to ramble, but right now there are a million "what if's" running through my head.
Think I'll take a deep breath and have a cup of hot chocolate to slow everything down. :)

Happy New Year everybody.
Terri

At the expo, they had people selling the tearaway shirt and pants for something like $5 a piece. We didn't need them, since the weather was fairly warm at the start, but I saw several people who had them.

If you don't have clothes, bring a toss out blanket. That might work until the start of the race.

(Add a pillow to that and I'll find ya and wake ya up as we get notice to go through the gate!)
:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter