Wk of Dec 25--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

As the hours tick away and the weekend gets closer and closer.... :cheer2: ...but I was wondering...are we going to get any marathon/half trip reports when you get back???

:bounce: Please please please! :Pinkbounc

Hi, everyone! Thanks so much, Craig, as always for your encouraging words. You are so right. When I look back on what I was writing even in the summer months, I see there were many times I was very discouraged and my WISH friends assured me that, while I couldn't expect to do the 1/2 at the required pace then, that by January, I would be well enough trained to do it. And you were all right. Now, while I am still intimidated, it is at a healthy level, rather than a paralyzing level. ;)

Am hoping to spend a good amount of time at the gym tonight in the hopes of taking off the 5 pounds I have gained in the past week :earseek: over the next 10 days!

keenercam said:
Hi, everyone! Thanks so much, Craig, as always for your encouraging words. You are so right. When I look back on what I was writing even in the summer months, I see there were many times I was very discouraged and my WISH friends assured me that, while I couldn't expect to do the 1/2 at the required pace then, that by January, I would be well enough trained to do it. And you were all right. Now, while I am still intimidated, it is at a healthy level, rather than a paralyzing level. ;)

Am hoping to spend a good amount of time at the gym tonight in the hopes of taking off the 5 pounds I have gained in the past week :earseek: over the next 10 days!

If you figure this one out, let me know how you did it! I'm afraid to get on the scale now! :earseek:

BTW, what happened to your signatures??

Plutos- congrats on making it all the way to WDW!!! What a big goal... you must be thrilled!!

Honibee- Oh yeah, if (no...when)--- WHEN I finish the race you better believe there will be a report. A long one. I will have my laptop with me, so hopefully I will be able to post a little something, if not necessarily the whole thing.

This taper thing is tougher than I had orginially anticipated. Monday I did 4 miles in 37:26. Perfectly happy with that, even if it did feel a little tough. Today I did 40 minutes (3/2) for a total of 3.96 miles. Things would have been a little better pace-wise, except I spend several minutes with a cute Labrador Retriever who insisted on following me for several blocks, despite my attempts to get him to stop. Eventually I had to stop and walk him back home. :dog: Anyhow, I feel this odd desire to try and push things when I know I should be resting-- needing to go farther, needing to go faster. It's as though I'm fighting a nervousness that I will completely lose all that training if I don't keep pushing. I never thought I'd say that before. :)

Tough to believe that I leave for WDW one week from tomorrow. I feel like I have a hundred things to do yet, but at least it'll keep me from going completely crazy during the next few days.

OK, I'm off-
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

plutosmyfav said:
... I did it! I completed my Run to Disney Christmas morning.
Sunny, You rule! I think I NEED those tights you got. I’m going to have to see where I can find more $ for this easy sport!

I’m with everyone posting…race thoughts are now in every second of my mind. Getting really excited!

Lisa, hope you are enjoying things in NM. It is great that you could have a partner to run with you (even if it gets a bit tense at times), and that you got that awesome Christmas present.

All those “involved”, tee hee on the tapering routine (couch and cookies). ;)

Craig, you lucky one you to have your own rabbit when it will be needed the most. I will be looking for those around me to “get me home.”

Tif, bring everything. At least race clothing. I am and will decide the night before I try to sleep what I will have for the event. You have some time before turning in your bags for check-in. However, there will still be wait time as the approach to the “corrals” is another holding area that you must pass through security check. Halfers left their bags at a bus, and fullers have tents to leave their bags after security check point, but that was when the events were the same day. Not sure how this will run now.

I am made fun of along the trails I run. I have so much stuff hanging about my waist and such that many call it my “tool belt” and chuckle onward as they pass me. I give many a smile as I trek onward. So, fashion statement I will not be. (I will carry my waist pack with gu, lip gloss, wet naps, my outer belt will have my cell and camera and probably one amphipod water bottle. I think I can get away with only one and fill as I go since there will be water stops. This bottle will be for the time I can’t wait for the stop.

Packing list, I need one…I must develop my list too. Eek!

I did my 10 mile LR very slow pace. I am still hoping that I can eek out the event. I will do the remaining “during the week times” a bit faster and still within taper zone effort. I hope this will be sufficient. Oh well, can’t do anything about that now.

Officially out of my funk and ready to race! I read the race packet again last night and started putting together my race plan. Has anyone noticed that for the 1/2 marathon we have to come back up and around the exit ramp on our way back to EPCOT around mile 10? That is going to be tough. Last year, we only had to go down the ramp. I'm ready for the challenge. Bring it on! :dog2:

I can't wait to meet my new friends and see my old friends at Trails End next week. Don't forget your cameras! :banana:

Hi All!

All I can say is that it is hard work having fun!! And, not so good for the training.

My DN got married Friday night, so in addition to all the holiday celebrations we piggy-backed a wedding on top! And why I thought it was a good idea to dance the night away in heels (I never wear heels!) at the reception is beyond me :confused3 .....I guess I can't really blame my niece for that, but boy have I been sore! I missed my LW on Saturday and last night barely managed 25 minutes on the TM before my poor, aching legs gave up in protest. Tonight was much better, and I am really getting excited for the half to finally be here!!

Is any one else feeling a little paranoid? I find myself being extra careful at work in avoiding anyone with even a hint of a cold and I find myself washing my hands like crazy at every opportunity. I'm also being extra careful walking outside, my kids think I'm losing it!! But hey - this is important stuff, and I am taking no chances.....

I am looking forward to meeting you all....

Pat- be paranoid! Wash hands constantly! I spent the better part of the day yesterday at the Dr. for me, then DS4 dr then Target pharmacy. I am now on decongestant, antibiotic & steroids(uh oh will that disqualify me :goodvibes )
I have fluid in my ears & severe head congestion. DS has pink eye and all the congestion on top of his normal respiratory problems. He is on 4 meds plus his nebulizer. :sad2: We are all washing & using gel constantly so no one else gets the pink eye. Everyone in our family is sick except DS8. Even the dog threw up yesterday. Be vigilant killing those stupid germs. I think everyone in Huntsville is sick right now. Oh- and don't wear shoes that may cause foot/ankle problems :goodvibes

Heather-so glad you are out of that funk! No I hadn't noticed the exit ramp. At mile 10 :earseek: How rude of them!

Happy tapering everyone!

I'm totally paranoid too. We were all exposed to a stomach bug that takes about 5 days to show up. The boy started in yesterday! It is really a short lived thing, so hopefully, we are all done with it, but I have been playing the worst case sceneraio in my head! that would mean that either phil and i would get it in 5 days (around new year's) and then the other one in 5 more! that would be about race time :-( Hopefully we have already been exposed and are just not going to get it. But I'm Paranoid!!!!!!!

I have absolutely nothing as far a running!!! I did go climbing and kayaking, but I have not been running. I will some this week!

Hope everyone had a good holiday! Can't wait to meet!

TiffJ said:
Pat- be paranoid! Wash hands constantly! I spent the better part of the day yesterday at the Dr. for me, then DS4 dr then Target pharmacy. I am now on decongestant, antibiotic & steroids(uh oh will that disqualify me :goodvibes )
I have fluid in my ears & severe head congestion. DS has pink eye and all the congestion on top of his normal respiratory problems. He is on 4 meds plus his nebulizer. :sad2: We are all washing & using gel constantly so no one else gets the pink eye. Everyone in our family is sick except DS8. Even the dog threw up yesterday. Be vigilant killing those stupid germs. I think everyone in Huntsville is sick right now. Oh- and don't wear shoes that may cause foot/ankle problems :goodvibes

Heather-so glad you are out of that funk! No I hadn't noticed the exit ramp. At mile 10 :earseek: How rude of them!

Happy tapering everyone!

You guys can't be getting sick NOW! No no no! :guilty:

A ramp?!?!?! A RAMP!?!?!? Oh man, I thought this was a FLAT race!! :earseek:

Ok maybe next year it will be. :rotfl:

We will be there in Sept 2006 for a "real" vacation, so I full intend to check out the route of the 2007 Half then.

Hey you guys!
I hope you're Christmas was great. I for one am glad it's over because I am officially sick of eating!! I don't even want to think about getting on a scale..ugh!

Ran the 14 last Friday, and it went well. I'm really not keeping track of times at this point b/c there really is no point for me to do that :rotfl:
I'm just trying to stay healthy and injure free for the next 10 days.
Ran short yesterday morning and I tried something new today...swimming.
I came away a bit humbled I must say. Swimming is not easy...well let me rephrase, swimming the correct way is not easy. But it sure is a good workout.

Not too much to say here, just checkin in to say "hey" and I am so excited to be going to WDW next week! I've been playing all my disney cds this week, to get pumped up (like I need help with that). I think I'm driving everyone around me crazy. I can't help it I AM SO EXCITED!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Well must go for now, will check in again soon.

~bree~

Tapering is really making me crazy!! I am now obsessing over the lack of packing I've done. I also want to go to Dick's Sporting Goods every day on my lunch hour to make sure there isn't anything else I REALLY need!! I'm watching the weather forecast for Orlando like a hawk....UGHH!!! My family may strangle me before next weekend :rotfl2:

Well my paranoidness (is that a word?) didn't help this morning - I was rear-ended at a stop light on my way to work. Actually rear-ended is probably too strong a word.....I was bumped from behind while waiting for the light to turn green. Fortunately I am fine and the car only had a teeny dent. Yikes!! January 7th can't get here soon enough.

msblrobs said:
I'm watching the weather forecast for Orlando like a hawk....UGHH!!! My family may strangle me before next weekend :rotfl2:

Me too :rotfl2: I've been so psyched at the cool temps (current jan 6 is listed as 45/66 degF) and then it dawned on me that we won't be swimming :cold: DS will be quite disappointed. Although, DD and I went swimming at night when it was 45 degF one December (the pools are heated) so we'll see...

As for paranoia, yep, got it big time. I won't "clean up" DS's plate or let anyone touch mine. I wash my hands everytime I touch anything that isn't specifically mine. The first thing I do when I enter my house is wash my hands. I won't touch hand rails on stairways, escalators, etc. Of course the plane ride/air port will be the biggest germ shower we will encounter!!!! I think I will stop short of wearing a medical mask on the plane :rotfl2: I've even starting using the elevator to go down (but not up) at work to reduce unnecessary pressure on the knees...

The gym staff are on to me :rotfl:
I did lower body weights today. One staff guy (a former 60x marathoner) came over while I was using the leg press and scolded me and said "I better not see you touching weights all next week". I promised I wouldn't. He also "alerted" the other staff in case he wasn't there next week! I did an awsome session knowing it was my "last time" for a long time. I ran 6.6 miles yesterday, that's it so far this week. I also did upper body weights yesterday. The gym guy also warned me to go real light on upper body weights until the race, too. Now I'm paranoid about getting all flabby by race time!

I am in a total panic about packing and planning the over all trip. I think I will try to pack tonight so I can stop panicking (hopefully).

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: For all of you currently sick and those of you who might have been exposed!

Okay - I couldn't believe the comments on being paranoid. I really thought I was the only one. My kids (4 and 6), like everyone elses, are home this week and I refuse to go anywhere enclosed with them (bowling, chucky cheese, gymnastics, McDonalds playground...) They are so ready to kill me!

It's nice to know I'm not alone! I have made it this far, I am not going to get sick now.

67 degrees current forecast....I can't wait to see What Sunday's will be.

Don't be paranoid. You only have to remember to pack a few things..like your running shoes and the clothes you will run in. That's what I tell myself, but the reality is I always overpack.

If you are like me you like to pack everything you "think' you might need. I will pack clothes to run in if it's chilly, and clothes to run in if it's warm. Remember, if you are chilly standing around before the start you will warm up. It's best to not be warm when you start running b/c you will only get warmer. DFIL says to get dressed then stand outside and spin your arms around like crazy. If you're warm when you stop then you have too many clothes on......of course do this if you don't mind looking like an idiot to passers by :rotfl:

Last year the warm front moved through and I packed running shorts but forgot to pack casual shorts and a bathing suit. I roasted in my jeans, and sweat pants the days after the race. I have had nightmares this year about forgetting to pack shorts and a bathing suit. So, I'm thinking the bigger the suitcase I can haul the better for me. :)

Oh yeah and for the "germ" people. I have started taking immune building vitamins so I won't get sick, and I carry antibacterial wipes in my purse to wipe my hands off. I visted my great-aunt in the nursing home last week and I was so freaked out by people coughing. My DH just laughed at me...so mean isn't he?

Oh and I'll bring my own coffee b/c I'm not used to drinking the yucky nestle coffee disney provides in the rooms. I have to have my cup of coffee before I run to....ummmm...let's see how to phrase this...ummmmm "get things moving." Plus I'll bring my own breakfast to eat b/c again I don't want to be eating anything new b/c I don't want ummmm uhhhh "things to keep moving" while I'm running. So sick isn't it?

I'm so glad I'm not the only "freakish" over packer in the bunch.

~bree~

I've become very germ phobic, too. Our christmas was even canceled. My parents were supposed to come over christmas day so we could exchange presents. Well, mom calls that AM and says that dad has a little cold -- nothing much, but did I still want them to come? Yes I told her, I want you to come, BUT NOT UNITL HE IS GERM-FREE!!! So we're having christmas this weekend, unless she comes down with it (fingers crossed). And I can tell you that, much as I love them, I will be clorox-wiping everything they touch when they leave.

We went to Target yesterday 'cause DH had to get a prescription refilled. I just kept veering away from people. I was on one aisle and this lady started coughing -- man, I reversed directions so fast that DH said "Hey, that woman looked at you like you insulted her -- she shot you a look." Fine, whatever, everyone else can think I'm insulting them but I have more important things to worry about.

The only good news is that I won't have to worry about plane/hotel room germs as we are taking the motorhome. Any germs in there are mine.

As for packing -- let's not even go there. Major stress inducer. I hate to pack, whether it's just for a weekend or a month away. I make so many lists that my lists have lists. It all gets done eventually, it's just not fun for me.

Have a good day and HAPPY NEW YEAR (if I don't post again before then).

Add me to the germ phobic list. I saw three patients today with colds and kept thinking that I just couldn't catch something before the race.

Cam...wtg on your 8 miler! :cheer2: :cheer2: You were way ahead of me...mine was awful. I walked the entire last mile and ended up with a 14:30 pace.

My bag is actually packed already. I packed the clothes from my 12-miler after they were washed. Got shoes, headband, gloves, packet, pouch, throwaway clothes, trashbags, snacks for the race and after, batteries for the MP3, etc...

I've embraced the taper concept a little too well. I've probably skipped one SR each week since the final LR and I'm not too worried about it. :confused3 I never skipped anything until this, so I hope I'm not losing the enthusiasm.

Mel - I'm with you! If taper means eat and don't run, then I'm a pro, but if it means "taper" down on the running......well...... Those milkshakes are really good though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter