Wishes Dessert Party - Dissapointing

OP is entitled to her opinion and her review, but her bad experience is less the fault of Disney and more her own fault for not researching the event before paying for it. She was disappointed because she didn't do her homework - period.

She also lost me when she started judging people who would spend that money to bring their kids. It isn't up to her to tell anyone else what constitutes a good value.

I'm also in the camp of being confused why she brought her daughter, when she thought it was an adult/romantic atmosphere...
Yes, you worded the issues with the review so much better than me.
It's not that it's a review that is bad. I don't care for the event for some of the same reasons.
But, it's that most of her complaints are the fault of her expectations more than the fault of Disney. Kids behavior in the buffet aside
And the OP is the one that brought up she thought it was a romantic/couple centric event, not someone else. So it is quite odd that she'd bring her DD along and then be surprised enough to include it in her review that it wasn't a romantic/couple centric event

Where is this complaint? :confused3 I just don't see it. A complaint about behaviour is not the same as presence.

Here:

I really thought this event would have been more special and have had some sort of ambiance. Its basically the same loud crazy environment as the Starlight Cafe, just with table clothes and a fake candle. No "party" whatsoever, so music, no nothing really...

I was actually surprised at how many kids were in attendance. Yes, I know it is Disney, but it is on the higher end of the price spectrum. I thought the ambiance was more geared towards couples, a bit more romantic or sophisticated. Kids were running rampant all over and putting their hands on food that they shouldn't be touching.

If you don't see that as complaining, I don't know what to tell you. No, there should be no food touching, but the rest I expect at a Disney event. And again, if she thought it was romantic and for couples, WHY was she bringing her own school age child?

Here:

If you don't see that as complaining, I don't know what to tell you. No, there should be no food touching, but the rest I expect at a Disney event. And again, if she thought it was romantic and for couples, WHY was she bringing her own school age child?

I think she thought there would be fewer children the way it was marketed, not that it was only for couples, but I didn't read it as a complaint about children being there, just their behaviour.

People keep dwelling on the fact she brought her daughter. There is a big difference between a teen daughter and young unsupervised children running amok as the op described.

I agree that bringing a teen is quite a bit different than small children. I would at least hope that teens don't run around and play with food and so on. The problems are the behavior of the kids and Disney's refusal to keep their clientele under control not the OP's surprise that so many kids attended.

It's also not necessary to continually defend Disney all of the time as some people do. Disney doesn't need it.

The complaint about children being there goes along with the rest of her complaints about children putting their hands in the food, etc.

She did not complain about children being there though. She was commenting on her surprise on how many kids were at the event and objecting to their unchecked behaviour while there. Completely justifiable and certainly does not warrant the mocking comments the OP has received.

It's dumb to complain about the presence of any children at Disney unless it's advertised as an adult only event.

If that's what she was doing, I would agree, however, she was not.

Thanks for the realistic review! It's hard to be brutally honest when you know people won't share your opinion!

I have considered the various Dessert Parties, but at the extra cost per head and not on the Dining Plan, I don't think it's something my DH would be interested in. I think I would be beyond furious if I paid that kind of money and saw children playing in the buffet food. I definitely would have loudly announced this behavior to the entire restaurant and immediately found the Manager. If they decided they didn't care, I'd be taking photos and posting them on social media, with appropriate Disney hashtags, with the kids' faces blurred. ;) Let the sticky gummy hands stacking up cheese pyramids and playing in the fruit speak for themselves!

What would Mary Poppins do? Yes, try to help the kids especially if the parents aren't helping! But there gets to be a point where we are talking food safety and hygiene!

I wonder if this atrocious behavior is because it's a nighttime show, the parents just want to sit down and rest, the kids are wired on pure adrenaline, there is SUGAR!, etc. Are the other Dessert Parties as bad? Say, the Riverboat Ice Cream party with Princess Tiana? Or is this pretty much the standard for a loooooooooooooooong hot day at Disney and the adults just cannot parent any longer?

Oh! Just a thought! When we were at Chef Mickey's, the photographers had my DD put her hands in the bowl, at the statue of Chef Mickey making fruit salad! So maybe the kids doing that were repeating what they had just taken photos of, like 10 mins later? And their parents haven't taken the time to teach them buffet serving skills yet.... NOT excusing it, just thinking maybe that's what inspired those children...

She did not complain about children being there though. She was commenting on her surprise on how many kids were at the event and objecting to their unchecked behaviour while there. Completely justifiable and certainly does not warrant the mocking comments the OP has received.

If that's what she was doing, I would agree, however, she was not.

I don't find being surprised there are kids at a function in a Disney park to be completely justifiable. And, unfortunately, the bad behavior by kids (and by their lack of supervision, parents) is nothing new.

Fwiw I have done one dessert party. You definitely are not paying for high quality desserts, but for the location. Too bad really, when you think of all of the chefs at Disney's beck and call they could do much much better.

Thanks for your review. We where scheduled to go in June{the regular one at plaza garden} however; Sis is allergic to chocholate and I wrote wdw for info about allergy's and is this worth us to even attend? From the stock letter I got in return, doubt anyone even read my note. It discussed "usual allergies" peanuts ..... So we cancelled. We will fight for a spot on mainstreet :idea:

OP is entitled to her opinion and her review, but her bad experience is less the fault of Disney and more her own fault for not researching the event before paying for it. She was disappointed because she didn't do her homework - period.

IMO, there is little that is more annoying on an OPINION message board than ending a sentence with "period". Dirty conditions, stale food? Unsupervised children running wild contaminating the buffet food for everyone? CMs not doing anything about it? CMs not staying in "show" and complaining within earshot of the guests? How in the world is this "less the fault of Disney and more her own"?

Who cares that she was surprised there were more children there than she expected? Who cares that she thought this was a romantic event? (Btw, you will see many threads pop up about proposals at this event too.) What homework would she have done that would have caused her not to be disappointed with Disney's lack of managing a special event properly?

She also lost me when she started judging people who would spend that money to bring their kids. It isn't up to her to tell anyone else what constitutes a good value.

Again, that is your opinion based on how you read the post. I didn't take it that way. I see posts all over that give opinions on whether things are a value - BoG breakfast comes to mind.

I'm also in the camp of being confused why she brought her daughter, when she thought it was an adult/romantic atmosphere...

I wasn't. I was more interested in the other comments.

Last edited:
Who cares that she was surprised there were more children there than she expected? Who cares that she thought this was a romantic event? (Btw, you will see many threads pop up about proposals at this event too.) What homework would she have done that would have caused her not to be disappointed with Disney's lack of managing a special event properly?

As that was a major complaint of the OP's, I care. If it wasn't important to her she wouldn't have mentioned it. She wasn't just disappointed by the kids running amuck, she sounds disappointed by the fact that there were kids there. Look at it from the other end, who on earth would assume anything at WDW was only for adults, unless it specifically said so?

I think it is ok to say this event was not what I thought it was, or poorly organized, etc. You didn't enjoy it. Not everyone is going to have the same experience.

BTW the original poster was complaining about the lack of organization by the CM's, over crowding, and lack of parenting.

Edit of OP's post mine -

I was actually surprised at how many kids were in attendance. Yes, I know it is Disney, but it is on the higher end of the price spectrum. I thought the ambiance was more geared towards couples, a bit more romantic or sophisticated. Kids were running rampant all over and putting their hands on food that they shouldn't be touching. The dessert was like 3 day old miniature cupcakes and other mediocre items. The ice cream stand the CM put in 2 scoops and I watched a dad (while CM watched) allow two small kids waste half the toppings and stick bare hands on all the cherries. The kids were frustrated cause the toppings "wouldn't stay in top."

I don't see kids being at the party a major complaint. We are reading it differently. Actually by taking her daughter it shows me she did think it was a kid's event, which I agree, should be the assumption unless otherwise noted when at WDW.

As that was a major complaint of the OP's, I care. If it wasn't important to her she wouldn't have mentioned it. She wasn't just disappointed by the kids running amuck, she sounds disappointed by the fact that there were kids there. Look at it from the other end, who on earth would assume anything at WDW was only for adults, unless it specifically said so?

I do see misbehaved kids and poor management being a major complaint. YMMV

Since others have had different experiences, this may have been an off night due to the high crowds, who knows? If this had been my experience though, I would have found a manager or stopped at GS.

Last edited:
Thanks for the realistic review! It's hard to be brutally honest when you know people won't share your opinion!

I have considered the various Dessert Parties, but at the extra cost per head and not on the Dining Plan, I don't think it's something my DH would be interested in. I think I would be beyond furious if I paid that kind of money and saw children playing in the buffet food. I definitely would have loudly announced this behavior to the entire restaurant and immediately found the Manager. If they decided they didn't care, I'd be taking photos and posting them on social media, with appropriate Disney hashtags, with the kids' faces blurred. ;) Let the sticky gummy hands stacking up cheese pyramids and playing in the fruit speak for themselves!

What would Mary Poppins do? Yes, try to help the kids especially if the parents aren't helping! But there gets to be a point where we are talking food safety and hygiene!

I wonder if this atrocious behavior is because it's a nighttime show, the parents just want to sit down and rest, the kids are wired on pure adrenaline, there is SUGAR!, etc. Are the other Dessert Parties as bad? Say, the Riverboat Ice Cream party with Princess Tiana? Or is this pretty much the standard for a loooooooooooooooong hot day at Disney and the adults just cannot parent any longer?

Oh! Just a thought! When we were at Chef Mickey's, the photographers had my DD put her hands in the bowl, at the statue of Chef Mickey making fruit salad! So maybe the kids doing that were repeating what they had just taken photos of, like 10 mins later? And their parents haven't taken the time to teach them buffet serving skills yet.... NOT excusing it, just thinking maybe that's what inspired those children...

This behavior is not unique to WDW. We travel a lot and I see children running amok and unsupervised pretty much everywhere.

OP, I hear you. DS9 (well-behaved, knows how to use tongs at buffets) and I attended the party in December and saw the same kind of stuff going on, but we went to the party for one thing and one thing only. An unobstructed view of the fireworks without a crowd around us and a stampede at the end. That's exactly what we got, so we weren't disappointed. It's the only way we will see the MK fireworks from now on. We go to WDW multiple times a year and had such bad experiences at the MK fireworks that we didn't even go to them any more. The party enabled us to see them without feeling like we were going to get crushed. Yes, the desserts are mediocre and it's quite crowded on the upper terrace (we actually got lucky - we arrived late and were seated on the terrace level right above the terrace-party crowd. We basically had the area to ourselves!), but we finally got to see the fireworks again, so it was worth it to us. But, definitely, if you are going for a "party" or even the desserts, you'll probably be disappointed. This party is all about views and getting away from crowds.

Absolutely a BUT - because as much as she's entitled to her opinion, we are entitled to ours. She's blaming everyone else because she booked something without reading what it was first. Beyond anything else, that's just stupid.

We booked our first trip to WDW through a travel agent. She knew hardly anything about the magic bands & fast passes. Thank goodness I did a quick look one day before we left. Sometimes a third party is too busy collecting money to make sure we don't miss a thing on our Disney trips.

Last edited:
I don't see how you are coming to this conclusion. Obviously something in the OP's post set you off, but I don't see it.
Yes, everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion. Using name calling and personal attacks to shut someone's down isn't.

The OP described a situation that I would not have been ok with either as it sounds like a health and safety problem in addition to bad management.

Absolutely a BUT - because as much as she's entitled to her opinion, we are entitled to ours. She's blaming everyone else because she booked something without reading what it was first. Beyond anything else, that's just stupid.

I don't see how you are coming to this conclusion. Obviously something in the OP's post set you off, but I don't see it.
Yes, everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion. Using name calling and personal attacks to shut someone's down isn't.

The OP described a situation that I would not have been ok with either as it sounds like a health and safety problem in addition to bad management.
It's totally your call, but trying to reason with people who are limited to responding with personal attacks and name calling seems like an utter waste of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter