Wishes Dessert Party - Dissapointing

I've never been to a Disney desert party. I have been to desert parties at home. If not for these boards I would have much higher expectations of this "party" especially considering the price. It is a shame that Disney does not do something special with this. Paying for a good view of the fireworks and not caring about the rest is personal choice. I just don't know when our expectations of Disney have become so low.

Normally I would agree. I have been around on these boards for a long time (even before my joined date thanks to a database problem that affected some of us way back). The information I have gotten has been invaluable and I'm very grateful to the owners and mods.
I love Disney just like the rest of us, and want to hear all experiences, good and bad.
People should be comfortable posting a negative experience and having others discuss. In this case I didn't see where some of the posters were coming from and felt the main message was being lost. I'm open to that discussion too.
Disney has a large social media team that watches comments closely. Discussions, good and bad, are what keeps them honest to some extent.

It's totally your call, but trying to reason with people who are limited to responding with personal attacks and name calling seems like an utter waste of time.

Absolutely a BUT - because as much as she's entitled to her opinion, we are entitled to ours. She's blaming everyone else because she booked something without reading what it was first. Beyond anything else, that's just stupid.
I doubt anywhere on the Disney site it would have had a warning that read, "There will be unsupervised children touching your food and CM's making snide comments. Book at your own risk." Which is kind of what you're suggesting when you say she needed to do her research. Her experience went beyond research. You're just glued to the "I'm shocked that there were so many kids there" thing. That would be the ONLY thing that could have been researched. All of the rest is inexcusable on Disney's part, not hers.

I think people had a bad reaction to her review based on tone. I posted pretty early on with my own opinion that was mostly in agreement about the major parts of her review (but also what I liked about it) and no one attacked me over it. Sometimes if you take an aggressive and argumentative tone you will get responses in kind. But I think the OP was pretty cheesed off by what she had spent and what it was like... Also to be honest, I have a pretty high tolerance for things going wrong but at some point when ONE MORE THING happens, it just sends me over the edge and I can't enjoy it anymore. So maybe having all those kids there was a surprise and it was not as well organized as other events and the desserts aren't fantastic and it is dark and a bit crowded and if she had done her research she would have known that going in... but she didn't and the filthy bathrooms, complaining CMs and kids running wild and making a mess of everything just sent her over the edge. I had a miserable meal at Narcoossees and I could have excused the heat lamped soup OR the burned shrimp in the shrimp and grits OR having to send back my son's raw steak only to have it still come back quite rare but burned on the outside OR my own lobster being underdone OR the inattentive waitress... or even 2-3 of those things had the waitress been super attentive and the issues actually fixed. But all of that taken together made for a miserable meal. I don't care how positive a person you are, everyone reaches their breaking point of "I can't believe I just paid all that money for THIS" even at Disney (or maybe especially at Disney) and I think that is what happened with the OP. Maybe if there were a ton of kids and it was crowded and somewhat disorganized with mediocre desserts and she was prepared for all that she would have had a great time, but you add in obnoxious complaining CMs, a disgusting bathroom, and kids misbehaving by any definition of "good behavior" and it's all too much to look past in the sake of live and let live and perspective and all that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just please be kind. Anything else can result in users of the DISboards being reluctant to post any experience, positive or negative, which would be a great disservice to us all.

Peace out.

Is there any way to guarantee a table at the railing? OR do they not have that any more? I kind of don't have the desire to spend the extra money if I have to hover around bunch of other folks to see the fireworks/projection .. if I'm gonna do that, I might as well save my money & just wait it out around the castle area ..

Is there any way to guarantee a table at the railing? OR do they not have that any more? I kind of don't have the desire to spend the extra money if I have to hover around bunch of other folks to see the fireworks/projection .. if I'm gonna do that, I might as well save my money & just wait it out around the castle area ..
Get there first.

Get there early, right when they start letting people in. Get a table towards the back half of the rails so you can see the projections better. The CMs at the party we went to were very helpful about helping us find a good spot. I enjoyed it. If I hadn't had my mom who has mobility issues and wanted a seat, I would have preferred the Plaza Viewing over the Terrace view.

Get there early, right when they start letting people in. Get a table towards the back half of the rails so you can see the projections better. The CMs at the party we went to were very helpful about helping us find a good spot. I enjoyed it. If I hadn't had my mom who has mobility issues and wanted a seat, I would have preferred the Plaza Viewing over the Terrace view.
Fantastic, thanks so much! I guess we can just try to get there a little earlier than the 60min suggestion & ask if it would be possible to have a seat at the back half of the rails .. honestly, the projection is what I'm most concerned about seeing - especially since it will be the new one! Out of curiosity, why would you have rather had the Plaza viewing?

Fantastic, thanks so much! I guess we can just try to get there a little earlier than the 60min suggestion & ask if it would be possible to have a seat at the back half of the rails .. honestly, the projection is what I'm most concerned about seeing - especially since it will be the new one! Out of curiosity, why would you have rather had the Plaza viewing?

The view is better, more head on, but no seats or cover if the weather gets rainy. However, you get the same desserts and seats for the desserts. You then get walked over to the viewing area by a CM about 15 minutes before hand. The garden viewing is also cheaper.

I chuckled when I saw this thread again.

Just FYI, all of the tables in the Tomorrowland Terrace version are against the railing. It's not like it used to be when there were multiple "rows" and the "inside" tables had an inferior view. At least that is how it was set up a few weeks ago.

FWIW, this was the view from my table. If looking at the castle from the Terrace, my table was nearly all the way to the right. If you were standing in the hub looking back at Tomorrowland Terrace, it would have been nearly all the way to the left. Hope that makes sense.

I showed up around 8:30 for a 9PM Wishes, FWIW. It looked like they had been filling tables left to right, roughly speaking, but I'm not really sure about that.

I think the projections would be "ok" from this view, but not great. You'd miss some of the lower projections. Time will tell what the new show will be like from here, but probably still a valid place to watch with the same minor cons as Wishes (eg, being off center).

IMG_7903.JPG

I'm confused...are people upset with OP's review because her expectations were not lined up with reality or are people upset because in their own reality, it's a fabulous event that does not deserve her review?

Either way, I'm open to hearing both the good and the bad about any event so that I too can make an informed decision on whether or not it's for me. It seems counterproductive to chastise her for sharing her experience or to say she should have researched it better when it may very well help someone else researching make a decision on the "reality" of it.

As for the kiddies putting their paws all over and in the food...no matter how much you love kids or how many kids you yourself have, it's gross. If that's how a dessert "party" is and I'm just supposed to suck it up because "it's Disney World, of course there are kids..." Ugh! No thanks.

Well said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter