Wishes Dessert Party - Dissapointing

I think your expectations for the whole experience were much too high-and that's why you ended up disliking it so. Sorry you didn't feel it was worth it.

I never stated I was looking for an adult only event. I stated I was surprised by how many kids there were, my opinion is based on the price-point of the event. This certainly isn't a "party" for any age. We did arrive at 7:30 for a 7:45 reservation and sampled all we wanted of the desserts and just sat there talking the rest of the evening. We enjoyed other parts of the evening. I would have expected the desserts to have been much better than they were and would have expected the CM to have been better and more professional.

I shared my opinion, keep judging if you desire and keep trying to pick every sentence apart or try to assume what you will. :) I will keep thinking parents are wasting a lot of money bringing toddlers and elementary school children at the current prices and quality of the event. I can think of many other ways to spend that amount of money and still see the same fireworks, from the same view, while eating desserts. It was a last minute trip because I wanted to take her to MK on her actual birth date. The dessert party was the only dining reservation available in MK for that night the three times I called, so I booked it thinking it would make the evening a bit more special... but really it didn't. I also have friends who recommended it, but obviously they must have been in past years when the experience may have been better.

We are headed back to the MK tomorrow, with no dining reservation. We still have 3 more days on our passes to use before June.

Hi. my name is LuvMyEAR and and I am a dessertaholic. Also, a dedicated seeker of seats. So, I watch threads about the dessert parties with keen interest. I have never quite been able to bring myself to pay the price for one of these events...yet, but I cannot remember the last time I had any Parade or fireworks view inside a park that didn't involve a lot of tree branchs and obscure angles. I fantasize about renting an ECV just to be able to sit down somewhere that I can actually see. Maybe it is time to just suck up the Costco cupcakes... but it sure would be nice to have a glass or two of cheap sparkling wine to wash them down, for that price.

It is sad that uninformed CMs and disorganization seems a common theme at the Wishes dessert parties, which is the only one that has SEATS ! If I didn't see that mentioned in every post, I would have tried it by now. Children will be children, and unfortunately no one but their parents is responsible for their behaviour.

I've never been to a dessert party but I'd like to go to one on my next trip. My ds7 and ds4 will be with us and I don't feel I'll be wasting my money. I will have elementary aged children traveling with me for the next 8 years, I'm not sure I want to wait that long to experience a dessert party . Also, I'm a teacher and clearly a mom so it hurts a bit when I hear such disdain slung toward children. Sometimes in these situations their excitement overwhelms them, and they make choices without thinking. If it were me, I'd say, "Oh, look! Here's some tongs." Or, "Do you need some help?". Generally, if a parent sees another adult talking to their child, they'll at least attend to the child in that moment or maybe you can teach a little lesson about good buffet/hygeine habits. I am sorry op had a poor evening. I hope if anyone ever sees my kiddos fishing in a cherry bowl when I have my back turned they'll do me a solid and help them out.

I never stated I was looking for an adult only event. I stated I was surprised by how many kids there were, my opinion is based on the price-point of the event. This certainly isn't a "party" for any age. We did arrive at 7:30 for a 7:45 reservation and sampled all we wanted of the desserts and just sat there talking the rest of the evening. We enjoyed other parts of the evening. I would have expected the desserts to have been much better than they were and would have expected the CM to have been better and more professional.

I shared my opinion, keep judging if you desire and keep trying to pick every sentence apart or try to assume what you will. :) I will keep thinking parents are wasting a lot of money bringing toddlers and elementary school children at the current prices and quality of the event. I can think of many other ways to spend that amount of money and still see the same fireworks, from the same view, while eating desserts. It was a last minute trip because I wanted to take her to MK on her actual birth date. The dessert party was the only dining reservation available in MK for that night the three times I called, so I booked it thinking it would make the evening a bit more special... but really it didn't. I also have friends who recommended it, but obviously they must have been in past years when the experience may have been better.

We are headed back to the MK tomorrow, with no dining reservation. We still have 3 more days on our passes to use before June.
I appreciate you giving your honest opinion and then backing it up with a detailed description of what you experienced. Posts like yours are helpful. Clearly, the aspects of the event that disappointed you - disorganized CMs not seating people correctly and buffet food being touched and not replaced - would not be covered in any description of the event. Your experience may well not have been the norm, but it was your experience and I don't understand why people would beat up on you for sharing it on a discussion board.

It isn't up to you to tell me what constitutes a good value. We have two 3-year-olds and a 4-year-old. We aren't paying a "premium" for high end desserts. We are paying for convenience, some snacks, and a place to sit and watch fireworks without having to wait out in the crowds.

And I will just leave this here....
IMG_1260.jpg

Sorry you were disappointed. I have always wanted to do one of those dessert parties. We aren't blessed with children but one of my delights of being at Disney is seeing children having such a good time. So I guess what is value to one is subjective! I don't mind if the desserts are not great. But it's good to know if that is important to you and the other factors you mention. We still like Chef Mickeys. Is the food good? Not great but we enjoy it anyway.

I've never been to a dessert party but I'd like to go to one on my next trip. My ds7 and ds4 will be with us and I don't feel I'll be wasting my money. I will have elementary aged children traveling with me for the next 8 years, I'm not sure I want to wait that long to experience a dessert party . Also, I'm a teacher and clearly a mom so it hurts a bit when I hear such disdain slung toward children. Sometimes in these situations their excitement overwhelms them, and they make choices without thinking. If it were me, I'd say, "Oh, look! Here's some tongs." Or, "Do you need some help?". Generally, if a parent sees another adult talking to their child, they'll at least attend to the child in that moment or maybe you can teach a little lesson about good buffet/hygeine habits. I am sorry op had a poor evening. I hope if anyone ever sees my kiddos fishing in a cherry bowl when I have my back turned they'll do me a solid and help them out.
I completely agree about "helping" a little one when you see a wayward hand, and I'm not offended at all when someone helps my 7 year old in the same way. Redirecting is so much easier on everyone than being disgusted, or scolding a kid that isn't yours, and it's much nicer. If you see a little hand go for the bowl of cherries, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "Hey little miss, do you need a hand with that? Here's the spoon, and I can help you if you can't scoop them us yourself."

I just meant in terms of the dessert party being a place for us to relax and get away from the crowds a bit. But I see here that might not be the case, which is Okay!! Maybe we will do another Sig ADR instead of the dessert party?

Dessert parties are hectic and often filled to capacity. I really enjoyed the Star Wars dessert party but it's not a relaxing experience unless you get there right when they open. Even then you have to sort of jockey for a table. It is a shame the OP's expectations were not aligned with reality, but they could have easily googled to find out what the event was like before committing to the spend.

The problem is that all of the times I have seen this happen the parents are nowhere in sight. In the case I mentioned at Cape May, my daughter and I were sitting at a table on the other side of the room from the buffet. The child was by himself the entire trip around the buffet, touching everything he could get his hands on. It was very disturbing. We went to buffets many times with our kids when they were young and if they wanted to go on the line with us we filled their plates with the choices they made -we did not let them have a free for all. We did not let them go up by themselves until they were responsible enough to do it correctly. We would never expect other people to watch out for them or tell them what to do. They were our responsibility. Just because it is Disney and there are kids everywhere does not change that fact.

Last edited:
This certainly isn't a "party" for any age...

I will keep thinking parents are wasting a lot of money bringing toddlers and elementary school children at the current prices and quality of the event.

There are children's prices. That, by definition, means it actually is a party for any age.

You hated the party, we get it. But there's no reason to be judgmental about how others spend their vacation dollars.

I can't even imagine what you'd think of the parents who paid the full adult price for their kids at Club Villain, where there was no child's price offered :eek:

O/T I actually spoke to a CM about a child that was literally elbow deep in the fruit bowls at the buffet at Cape May Cafe last week. We sat there another half hour and watched-nothing was done about it.
The CMs are trained to avoid confrontation with guests at all costs. If you want something done, you're more likely to have luck with a manager rather than a server.

There are children's prices. That, by definition, means it actually is a party for any age.

You hated the party, we get it. But there's no reason to be judgmental about how others spend their vacation dollars.

I can't even imagine what you'd think of the parents who paid the full adult price for their kids at Club Villain, where there was no child's price offered :eek:

The CMs are trained to avoid confrontation with guests at all costs. If you want something done, you're more likely to have luck with a manager rather than a server.
CV entered my mind too. The OP is likely to loose their marbles if they'd attended that, at those prices, only to find children had the nerve to go too. LOL

I think the real issue they over sell the tickets, and there was a lack of organization of the event.

I think some parents need to deal with their children too. I totally get we come here to have a good time, but when children are out of control it does ruin the fun for everyone else. Also for safety reasons, it is important for parents to control their children.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if maybe the Star Wars Dessert Party might have fewer children? What do you guys think?

Planning a trip for Spring 2018 with Hubby and was hoping for more of a relaxed/adult atmosphere.

We went to this event. We found it quite crowded, not enough tables. We didn't think it was worth the cost.

We may in the future try a Fireworks Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter