Wishes Dessert Party - Dissapointing

NinaBella

DIS Veteran

I really thought this event would have been more special and have had some sort of ambiance. Its basically the same loud crazy environment as the Starlight Cafe, just with table clothes and a fake candle. No "party" whatsoever, so music, no nothing really...

I was actually surprised at how many kids were in attendance. Yes, I know it is Disney, but it is on the higher end of the price spectrum. I thought the ambiance was more geared towards couples, a bit more romantic or sophisticated. Kids were running rampant all over and putting their hands on food that they shouldn't be touching. The dessert was like 3 day old miniature cupcakes and other mediocre items. The ice cream stand the CM put in 2 scoops and I watched a dad (while CM watched) allow two small kids waste half the toppings and stick bare hands on all the cherries. The kids were frustrated cause the toppings "wouldn't stay in top."

The CM really had no clue. As I checked in a CM came up to the one I was speaking to and complaining that another CM didn't seat guest and was telling them to sit where they want so they were freaking out cause they had the less expensive ticket option (plaza view) and these guests went to the tables that were more expensive that didn't get moved to the plaza. And those tables were sold out (I kept checking). I saw CM talking bad about each other and pretty much talking about guests when they left to go to the dessert bar.

The dessert bar is just laid out in a buffet style arrangements and kids were just running grabbing or putting back whatever. When I returned from the restroom I noticed the CM put a new table out that had some fruit, cheese, and crackers. I was waiting to get some and my daughter asked why I was gone so long... well cause kids were playing... building cheese castles or pyramids with massive amounts of cheese on their plates while others were waiting. Other kids were grabbing the cheese with their hands. Some kids who didn't have the skills to barely use forks, parents were holding up the line thinking it's cute for their kids to use the tongs while other guests waited.

Really, the atmosphere was like the dreaded Golden Corral.

My daughter did like the Wishes fireworks. We haven't watched them from inside MK in a few years. The plaza viewing isn't that special. Yes, it's a great view, but you can get the same view by arriving early enough to pick your spot in front of the plaza viewing area.

We actually only went there for the dessert party. My daughter had school yesterday so we drove there after school, got in a few rides, dessert party, a few more rides, then left with the insane crowd that took forever to get to our car.

Every time I called, I was asked what we were celebrating. I told them every time it was my daughter's birthday. Not one person told her happy birthday or at check-in for the dessert party, they didn't ask us what we were celebrating. We went ON her actual birth DATE, so that was disappointing. Not a huge deal, but Disney CM have done better in the past.

Crowds were very heavy. I am told they will be worse Saturday. I am taking a few teens on Saturday anyways. We will NOT attend the dessert party ever again nor would I ever recommend it. For the price, it is so not worth it.

Also, all three bathrooms I used at Disney were a total mess. They were not Disney clean at all. More like McDonald's at a random highway exit. The floors were nasty like they cleaned with nasty hair, dirty water in addition to the tissue spread everywhere. Even the one inside the dessert party event area.

I am curious, do folks use the Disney Dining Plan credits for the Dessert Party? I have never used the dining plan.

Now I am headed to work (got home after midnight because it took so long to get out the park).

Last edited:
I am shocked that you did not understand that there would be lots of children at the MK Wishes dessert party. It has never been described as an adult focused event.
Your description of their behavior is the parents issue, not Disney's. Parents need to supervise their children.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your evening.

The
I am shocked that you did not understand that there would be lots of children at the MK Wishes dessert party. It has never been described as an adult focused event.
Your description of their behavior is the parents issue, not Disney's. Parents need to supervise their children.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your evening.

You are right, it is a parenting issue. Parenting issues left and right. The CM would talk about the family after they were not in earshot, but I was. The CM do not ask the kids to top putting their hands in the bowl of cherries, etc. But even if the kids were behaved there was nothing special about the atmosphere nor could it be defined as a party. They could have made it more kid centered party. I would have been okay with that if it was a fun kid geared dessert party.
The atmosphere was non-existent. After sampling a few items, we were bored and just people watching.

The hot chocolate was good, that is really the best part.

I am sharing this so others can make an informed decision if they want to attend. It's okay if you disagree, that doesn't change my opinion.

I selected this event based in Disboard recommendations.

Last edited:
If a child (or adult) is building cheese pyramids with their hands, you politely say "excuse me!" & go about your business. If a parent & toddler are stopped at one item, you simply walk around them. I find it funny that an 8yo playing with cheese caused a "backup" of adults.

You seem to have spent a lot of time monitoring tables you weren't sitting at, other parents, CM conversations, etc. The dessert party is not for everyone and I don't think there is a person alive who could eat $60 worth of Costco cupcakes. However, to me it sounds like you expected a certain atmosphere, didn't get it, and were subsequently annoyed by non-issues for the rest of the evening because you had already been put off. I'm sorry you were disappointed.

What are my requirements?

I believed - maybe wrongly - that your expectations/requirements were clearly stated in your opening post
An adult atmosphere
"I thought the ambiance was more geared towards couples, a bit more romantic or sophisticated".
A party atmosphere
"I really thought this event would have been more special and have had some sort of ambiance. Its basically the same loud crazy environment as the Starlight Cafe, just with table clothes and a fake candle. No "party" whatsoever, so music, no nothing really..."
ETC
Your opening post is full of your unmet expectations/requirements

I don't want to argue with you. I was simply stating that I am sorry you were disappointed and I was very surprised your expectations were so different than the reality.

Sounds like you hit a bad night. I've done that dessert party 3 times in the past and never had the issues you're describing with misbehaved kids. There were certainly lots of kids, which I totally expected, but nothing outrageous that impacted my enjoyment at all. I suspect you probably only had a handful of "troublemakers", but that can sometimes be all it takes to ruin it for everyone else.

I really thought this event would have been more special and have had some sort of ambiance. Its basically the same loud crazy environment as the Starlight Cafe, just with table clothes and a fake candle. No "party" whatsoever, so music, no nothing really...

I was actually surprised at how many kids were in attendance. Yes, I know it is Disney, but it is on the higher end of the price spectrum.

My daughter did like the Wishes fireworks. We haven't watched them from inside MK in a few years. The plaza viewing isn't that special. Yes, it's a great view, but you can get the same view by arriving early enough to pick your spot in front of the plaza viewing area.

We actually only went there for the dessert party. My daughter had school yesterday so we drove there after school, got in a few rides, dessert party, a few more rides, then left with the insane crowd that took forever to get to our car.

Every time I called, I was asked what we were celebrating. I told them every time it was my daughter's birthday. Not one person told her happy birthday or at check-in for the dessert party, they didn't ask us what we were celebrating. We went ON her actual birth DATE, so that was disappointing. Not a huge deal, but Disney CM have done better in the past.
Wait just a minute, you are shocked at the number if kids at Disney (that in of itself is shocking to me) but you took your daughter too? Am I the only one that sees some hypocrisy there?

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you thought you were booking. How did you not know what the event was when you booked it?

I don't know...it seems to me like you didn't do your homework if you thought this was a high end, adult event. It also seems like you spent your entire night worrying about what everyone else was doing, instead of enjoying yourself, which is probably why you had a bad time.

We have done this dessert party countless times with our family and kids, for regular Wishes, 4th of July, Halloween and Christmas - and other than the tables being a bit cramped, I've never had any major complaints. Sounds like your expectations weren't in line with what the event actually is...

Last edited:
Wait just a minute, you are shocked at the number if kids at Disney (that in of itself is shocking to me) but you took your daughter too? Am I the only one that sees some hypocrisy there?

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you thought you were booking. How did you not know what the event was when you booked it?

I was curious how old the daughter was myself.

I'm wondering if maybe the Star Wars Dessert Party might have fewer children? What do you guys think?

Planning a trip for Spring 2018 with Hubby and was hoping for more of a relaxed/adult atmosphere.

Plenty of kids there too!

Honestly, if you want an adult atmosphere, WDW might not be the right place for you.

I don't mind kids really :cutie: I know they will be everywhere at WDW lol!

I just meant in terms of the dessert party being a place for us to relax and get away from the crowds a bit. But I see here that might not be the case, which is Okay!! Maybe we will do another Sig ADR instead of the dessert party?

I’ve erased and retyped my answer several times because I don’t think there is anything I can say to the OP that would matter. In the end I decided to chime in with an answer in case others who come to this board looking for information are considering the dessert party as I would not want them to get the wrong impression from this thread. My family (kids and grandma included) have done the dessert party four times. We go for the seating (grandma needs it) and to save time waiting on main street holding a spot as we can continue to ride rides and show up at the dessert party when we choose. The desserts are not gourmet but they are decent. Would I go just for the desserts, no, there are better desserts at Disney. But the value for me is being out of the crowds, having a seat, being able to eat and drink and talk while waiting instead of fighting off people on Main St. who want to squeeze into a spot we have been standing in for over an hour. Is it the best view? No. It is a good view? Yes. Would we do it again? Yes. We are doing it again in June. Is it for families? Yes, as is almost everything at Disney. Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely if it is in the budget it is worth doing once and then you can decide the value and worth doing it again or not. I recently helped a friend plan their first trip to the World and convinced them to do the dessert party on their last night. When they returned home they said that will be their trip tradition, to do the dessert party on their last night. They loved it. I’m doing it again because my mother needs the seat and my youngest son loves it. Once my mother no longer travels with us will I do it every trip? Probably not every trip but I’ll still do it some trips especially on really really busy weekend trips like the OP described. The busier the park the more need for the reserved out of the crowd viewing imo. BTW I’ve never had the bad behavior that the OP describes at the dessert party but everyone knows that whether you see it or not, at any Disney buffets, or any buffets anywhere people (adults and kids) may inappropriately touch the food. That is why people with compromised immune systems do not eat at buffets. Should parents monitor their children, absolutely. Even with attentive parents is that always going to happen, certainly not. Attitude, knowledge, and reasonable expectations really make a big difference.

I'm wondering if maybe the Star Wars Dessert Party might have fewer children? What do you guys think?

Planning a trip for Spring 2018 with Hubby and was hoping for more of a relaxed/adult atmosphere.
No, it's Disney. There are kids. Lots and lots of kids.

We did the Highway Dine in the Sky, very clearly designed for adults (alcohol is a featured part of the event) but had a child on it. It in no way impacted our evening. I simply point that out as an example of, with a few exceptions (V&A, Jelly Rolls, for example) you are not going to get away from kids at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter