Will there ever be another DCL Panama Canal sailing?

Now, we’re not talking the “old canal.” The little river going off to the side is the original French Cut, before they gave up.

IMG_1305.jpeg

Here is the old locks on the way to Gatun Lake. You are going up from the Caribbean. The mule is the small gray vehicle next to the gate for that lock, using the train tracks. The ropes can be seen connected to the Wonder.

Once we were inside the lock, the gate closed, the lock was filled with additional water and lifted us to the height of the lake as seen beyond the closed gate.

IMG_1310.jpeg

On the western side of the lake, we had to step back down to the Pacific. (This is my memory. From ten years ago this month. If incorrect, I may need another PC cruise.)

IMG_1313.jpeg

Our passing an administrative building was at 3 pm, with school children viewing - with a Disney horn song, of course.

IMG_1315.jpeg

Anyone have photos of the current locks?

The only ones I have are the gates from before they were installed.

IMG_1307.jpeg

DCL itineraries are overall quite boring... They'll do PC cruises if they have to, but basically that's it... It is a repositioning cruise.

It would be a toss up for them... if they sent another ship and that took the price down a bit, would more people choose to sail Disney to Alaska? Now, many people are priced out and decide to try another line... so would the volume play recover the extra ship cost?

I'm sure there are Disney data analysts who are pondering these very questions!
I don't think they'll do Australia for much longer. My guess is that the Wonder and Dream swap places for a summer in a couple of years.

X-2 I saw a comment, can't remember where, that the CM's said they lost 50% or more of their income in AU since they didn't get the gratuities. Apparently a large majority removed the gratuities from their accounts.
That doesn't surprise me since Aussie's don't expect tips. Apparently, unlike here, they pay their service folks a decent wage.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter