Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

That’s a common sentiment I often hear expressed on these boards, and maybe it’s right. But it might not be unfair to presume that at least some percentage of first time buyers are savvy enough to do a tiny bit of research before plunking down tens of thousands of dollars. And that percentage might not be completely insubstantial.

We also don’t know what percentage of current DVC owners, who know their way around this particular race track, might comprise the pool of potential Poly2 buyers. And if they are not fans of Riviera and VDH, with its ever increasing transient tax and the potential to be surrounded by years and years of construction, there’s zero reason to buy direct.

And the decision does alienate other buyers, like my myself, who don’t like Poly1, who were hoping Poly2 would not be plagued by the crowds at the Polynesian, and might have bought if it were a separate resort.

There is reason to buy direct. Annual passes. Disney cracked down on annual pass sales to resale owners. Yes some still got through the cracks but there is more checks and governance in place. The same is happening for merch discounts (albeit a very small and meaningless perk IMO).

I hear your point on RIV and VDH, however I'm of the opinion that restrictions are here to stay. Fort Wildnerness cabins will be the tell tale. As DVC continues to build, restrictions become a strong case against resale.

One other scenario with respect to Poly is how they will allocate the point charts. It could turn out that you need to own there in order to book there especially if you are a 1bedroom or larger family. And if the bungalows become more affordable where they are in line to 2bedroom villas... it could get interesting.

While many have the opinion that Disney always focuses on the bottom line, I truly believe they take into some consideration the sentiment of existing members . Most (not all) Poly owners will be thrilled with this decision. Full disclosure... I'm one of them and couldn't be happier. That being said, I'll be looking to convert my resale into direct points if the price point is attractive. With RIV, AUL, POLY and FW for sale coupled with a looming recession, i feel the pricing will be really good. At least I hope so!

Well I did say "probably", not "definitely". I suppose it is possible that Disney starts selling PVB2 at $130 a point; I just don't think it's very likely.
But it might be likelier in an instance like this, where there’s almost no benefit to the higher price of direct. Right now it seems like a big triumph for resale, but Disney is no friend to the resale market and might be developing a new strategy.

Its certainly going to be interesting to see what happens.

I can only speak for myself as a BW resale and 150pts direct VGF owner. Before buying direct this summer we were leaning toward Poly or VGF resale. Since buying direct I’ve entertained adding 100pts Poly2 direct. If it’s same association I definitely won’t be buying Poly direct. There is no reason to buy direct because resale would save thousands and still get me home resort advantage in the tower, and I already have blue card and unrestricted points to use at RIV/VDH.

There is also a big difference in the mentality between the odd DVC getting restrictions and the future of DVC restricted.

There is reason to buy direct. Annual passes. Disney cracked down on annual pass sales to resale owners. Yes some still got through the cracks but there is more checks and governance in place. The same is happening for merch discounts (albeit a very small and meaningless perk IMO).

I hear your point on RIV and VDH, however I'm of the opinion that restrictions are here to stay. Fort Wildnerness cabins will be the tell tale. As DVC continues to build, restrictions become a strong case against resale.

One other scenario with respect to Poly is how they will allocate the point charts. It could turn out that you need to own there in order to book there especially if you are a 1bedroom or larger family. And if the bungalows become more affordable where they are in line to 2bedroom villas... it could get interesting.

While many have the opinion that Disney always focuses on the bottom line, I truly believe they take into some consideration the sentiment of existing members . Most (not all) Poly owners will be thrilled with this decision. Full disclosure... I'm one of them and couldn't be happier. That being said, I'll be looking to convert my resale into direct points if the price point is attractive. With RIV, AUL, POLY and FW for sale coupled with a looming recession, i feel the pricing will be really good. At least I hope so!
Yeah, forgot about annual passes, but the Sorcerer’s pass ain’t cheap and only benefits owners with enough points for substantially longer stays. So not sure what percentage of current DVC owners, or potential buyers, can take advantage of the savings. Still, you’re right, it’s a good benefit.

But still, if the resale restrictions are here to stay, maybe they’ll announce some incredible new resort that will keep resale restrictions alive and get us all excited about the future of DVC. Not impossible! I’m not sure a looming recession is in the cards, but I bet pricing will be really good too. And, of course, congrats as a Poly owner!

Yeah, forgot about annual passes, but the Sorcerer’s pass ain’t cheap and only benefits owners with enough points for substantially longer stays. So not sure what percentage of current DVC owners, or potential buyers, can take advantage of the savings. Still, you’re right, it’s a good benefit.

But still, if the resale restrictions are here to stay, maybe they’ll announce some incredible new resort that will keep resale restrictions alive and get us all excited about the future of DVC. Not impossible! I’m not sure a looming recession is in the cards, but I bet pricing will be really good too. And, of course, congrats as a Poly owner!
APs can go away at any time, they were never guaranteed so I would never buy direct for that reason alone.

Yes, it's true their not directly "discounted" but non-members cannot buy the Sorcerer pass and it is significantly cheaper than the Incredi-pass. So DVC members are still getting a price advantage here.
Still not a discounted rate like we used to receive. Plus, the blackout dates can affect some (like us during half of Thanksgiving week)..

But still, if the resale restrictions are here to stay, maybe they’ll announce some incredible new resort that will keep resale restrictions alive and get us all excited about the future of DVC. Not impossible!

Roughly a decade ago, there was someone who posted upcoming WDW DVC plans. They correctly projected PVB, RIV, CFW. I can't recall if they indicated CCV. Next one that I recall is an EPCOT resort. I think he indicated either YC or a new resort built near the front of Epcot.

A new true walk-in Epcot resort will set the boards on fire. People won't care that it will be restricted. It may be the easiest sale DVD has ever had.

APs can go away at any time, they were never guaranteed so I would never buy direct for that reason alone.
Also, they aren’t discounted for DVC members anymore…
They’re only available to DVC members and Florida residents, so it’s still a substantial benefit for my wife and I. And since they just came back, I don’t see them going away anytime soon.

Roughly a decade ago, there was someone who posted upcoming WDW DVC plans. They correctly projected PVB, RIV, CFW. I can't recall if they indicated CCV. Next one that I recall is an EPCOT resort. I think he indicated either YC or a new resort built near the front of Epcot.

A new true walk-in Epcot resort will set the boards on fire. People won't care that it will be restricted. It may be the easiest sale DVD has ever had.
You’re absolutely right, and I think we're due for something like this.

Still not a discounted rate like we used to receive. Plus, the blackout dates can affect some (like us during half of Thanksgiving week)..
For us, the blackout dates have no effect. We can tolerate not going to WDW for the week and a half or so that our passes won’t work, in which the parks will be overrun anyway, and the point charts sky high.

For us, the blackout dates have no effect. We can tolerate not going to WDW for the week and a half or so that our passes won’t work, in which the parks will be overrun anyway, and the point charts sky high.
It’s so funny. We have never visited Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas week for basically the same reasons. Thought we’d never get blue card and then after we did, wouldn’t you know our planned trip is half in the blockout window 🤣

Hopefully going forward we can make use of APs.

Just saw that Poly2 is going to be a part of the existing association. Does that mean that owners of other home resorts that bought on resale will have access to the new rooms?

Just saw that Poly2 is going to be a part of the existing association. Does that mean that owners of other home resorts that bought on resale will have access to the new rooms?
Appears so.

You’re absolutely right, and I think we're due for something like this.
Last 14~ MK area DVC resorts in the last 14~ years (BLT 2009, GFV1, PVB1, CCV, GFV2, PVB2, CFW). Talk about over saturation.

Epcot is the park everyone loves to go for dinner and the seasonal festivals. Build here and make it restricted. People won't care about restrictions. Make it clear that the center of WDW (which is Epcot and DHS) will be restricted. Also, they need to make it truly deluxe the way RIV raised the standard for Disney deluxe. If you want easy access to all 4 parks and DTD, staying anywhere but the center means more travel time.

You bring up a great. Point in that it’s not just PVB resale getting access, it’s all resale except RIV and VDH.

I agree the move makes no sense for having done restrictions in the first place. If RIV wasnt my favorite, I’d buy resale for tower stays.
So their buy-direct strategy is working on you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter