White marks on Wood dining table

proud_canadian

DIS Veteran
So we have had our dining table for about 5-6 years and never had an issues with it. A few months ago we notice a white stain on the table. My husband insisted it was from leaving water on the table, which could have explained it.

However, over the past few months not only has that spot grown, but there are now new spots all over the table slowly appearing. Every time I look at it, I see more. My husband insists people must be leaving wet things on the table, but it doesn't make sense to me why when we are not using the table any differently now than we were a year ago or two years ago, we are suddenly getting all these new spots on the table. If anything we are now super careful about leaving anything on the table. Anyone else had this?

Something hot can leave white marks. I learned this when I very quickly ironed something on the table (not clothes - just attaching two pieces of fabric with iron on stitching took like two seconds still left a mark). If you are setting hot things on it it may be reacting like that.

OP, what kind of finish is on your furniture?
Can make a difference in cause of problems and solutions.
The first thought that comes to mind for me given your stated household habits is humidity of the home's heating system.

Something hot can leave white marks.

I agree. Water stains usually leave a black mark that takes some time to show up. The white marks would appear much faster. Use a trivet or some type of hot pad if you have dishes right out of the oven. Coffee cups should use a saucer.

some wood furniture needs to have furniture oil applied on a regular basis.

I agree with the hot stuff leaving marks. I was making iced-t and I put the pitcher of hot water on the table because I needed the counter space, when I put the pitcher in the fridge later there was a white ring in the spot where the pitcher was.

OP here - Yes, that's the thing, we don't put anything hot on the table. We use placemats with dinner, and hot pads if we put any serving dishes on the table. And we definitely haven't changed our habits recently over the past few months. That's why we don't understand why these are showing up all of a sudden!

Yes, I've had it happen recently for the first time, too, and it bothers me in certain light. I figured out it was from hot cups, too. Normally DH and I are the only ones who drink hot coffee at that table, and we generally use napkins, but I think what may have happened is that DS and his girlfriend had hot chocolate and put the cups directly on the table. Then I actually inadvertently did it myself one day, too, and found another one, lol. I'm haven't figured out yet what I can do about it. It did something to the finish. I wish there was some sort of "miracle" product on TV that I could buy to fix it. Maybe someone here knows how.

Yeah I'm wondering if the table had a varnish or protective layer or something that has worn off now and that's why all of a sudden it is being so "sensitive"?

So we have had our dining table for about 5-6 years and never had an issues with it. A few months ago we notice a white stain on the table. My husband insisted it was from leaving water on the table, which could have explained it.

However, over the past few months not only has that spot grown, but there are now new spots all over the table slowly appearing. Every time I look at it, I see more. My husband insists people must be leaving wet things on the table, but it doesn't make sense to me why when we are not using the table any differently now than we were a year ago or two years ago, we are suddenly getting all these new spots on the table. If anything we are now super careful about leaving anything on the table. Anyone else had this?

Anything hot or cold can cause sweating. And if your trivets are thin and your hot item extends beyond its edge, it doesn't actually have to be touching the table to heat it up.

It would behove you to try some very mild things first even though they may not work.
1 tbsp baking soda plus 1 tsp water. It makes a very mild abrasive and should take them off without having to take the finish off and refinish it. You can also use non gel toothpaste.
Note that if these don't work, then you have to gradually up the abrasiveness and or chemicals. By the way both of these also work if you have thread burrs from a bolt or on your hose bib.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter