What's considered normal in your home but weird in others?

We wear our shoes in our home and honestly it makes me nervous for guests to remove their shoes - we aren't messy people but I don't want them leaving with their socks dirty 😆

And I've always thought it was strange that I don't care which way my TP hangs.

One weird thing in our home is DH and I are both Type 1 diabetics with insulin pumps. We wear continuous glucose monitors that tell us our sugars and play a beep sound when they are high or low. It's nothing for us to say "Are you high?" to each other 10 times a day when we hear that noise. I'm sure if others listen to us they wonder about our lifestyle.

On that same note, we keep all of our pump supplies in the console in the center of our loveseat. I'm sure it's intended for remotes but it works for us :)

We buy 6 count eggs more often than not. None of us are big egg eaters so there has never been a point to buy a whole dozen cause we toss them more often that not. My sister has told me on more than one occasion thats just strange.. :)

I wash solo cups too. :o
Right, but what does

No doubt, but what does that have to do with toilet paper? :rotfl2:While I'm there, I'll bring up the implications of washing solo cups - asking for a friend, of course. ;)

The lip of the cup holds liquid whether that be whatever was last drank or the soapy water used to wash the throw away cup- just saying. I can see rinsing it out maybe for the day but he was using them for weeks until they cracked. Don't get me started on the disposable utensils 😩

I have another one:
- Bread, cookies, snacks in the microwave as if it were a storage place. I have an aunt that doesn't use her over so she stores food in there. What the what.

One of my trees is still up but it's now a Valentine's Day tree. I plan to keep it going with each holiday and season this year.

Do you mind if people are barefoot in your home then? I mainly wear Sketchers without socks.

I have one friend who is not Canadian or Asian, and she always asks us to remove our shoes. It is because of getting dirt or moisture on her nice refinished floors. I have to remember to throw a pair of socks in my pocket when I go over there because I never see any of them going barefoot, either. They are always in slippers or socks. These are the only folks I have ever known who do this. I agree that it is not common in the U.S.

Definitely go barefoot in our home and when we go to others homes. We never think anything of it.

We take our shoes off usually... and we are all born and raised Amurricans.
I keep the captions on usually.
TP needs to feed over the top or I will switch it because I'm thoughtful and you clearly didn't mean for it to be the opposite way because that would mean you're crazy.
The weird thing we do is in the closet. My beloved hangs all the coats facing the incorrect direction. I may need an anxiolytic.

Do you switch the toilet paper at other peoples house or am I just reading that wrong?

Yes, I know that now. :thanks:

Your toilet paper has a mullet.

The lip of the cup holds liquid whether that be whatever was last drank or the soapy water used to wash the throw away cup- just saying. I can see rinsing it out maybe for the day but he was using them for weeks until they cracked. Don't get me started on the disposable utensils 😩
Maybe it's the way I wash them, but I've never had that problem. As a matter of fact, I'm drinking out of one now. I checked for water, after reading your reply. There's no water in the lip. 🤷‍♀️

I leave my butter out on the counter. Some people are aghast at that but I despise hard butter. It is always covered and we have never had it spoil. We have central air so it never gets hot enough to "melt". It is always just nice and spreadable.

I also use mayo instead of butter on the bread when making grilled cheese sandwiches. I also use mayo when I make quesadillas. It browns the bread and tortillas nicely!!!

Oh, and when we have BLT sandwiches we use cucumbers instead of lettuce but still call them BLT's Lol! We just prefer the cucumbers....BCT's sound weird!

MJ

Not in my home but in the family. Every Christmas we went to my Grandma's and she made ham bbq growing up (like lunchmeat in ketchup sandwiches kind of ham bbq.) She didn't one year and everyone was upset, LOL. Christmas was also our annual bingo game.

I leave my butter out on the counter. Some people are aghast at that but I despise hard butter. It is always covered and we have never had it spoil. We have central air so it never gets hot enough to "melt". It is always just nice and spreadable.

I also use mayo instead of butter on the bread when making grilled cheese sandwiches. I also use mayo when I make quesadillas. It browns the bread and tortillas nicely!!!
Other than natural or organic, I don't know anyone who doesn't keep PB in the pantry rather than the fridge. And my mother made grilled cheese the other night I was there and used Mayo. It worked great for the grilling but didn't taste as good because I missed the butter taste. And I dust my grilled cheese with garlic salt which I suppose you still can with Mayo.

Shoes off in the house. I didn't even know this was a (mostly) Canadian thing until a few years ago. It still bugs me when I watch TV and people leave their shoes on in their house 😂 Also, dinner at our house is rarely before 7pm. Sometimes on thr weekend it might be a bit earlier. Another reason we choose second dining on cruises, even when our kids were younger

1. I do not care at all which way my toilet paper goes. I couldn’t even tell you which way it currently is hanging right now.

2. Not at home, but when I grocery shop I pile my groceries onto the conveyer belt in a certain order: square items, round items, bagged items, breads, eggs, not food-items.

3. We have no closet doors in our house. We ripped them all out to make our rooms bigger. We use armoires etc... to hang our clothes. I like it so much better!

4. I can’t go to bed with any dishes in the sink or a dirty kitchen whatsoever.

5. Where I live people don’t usually ask us to remove shoes. We don’t wear shoes in our house, but I would never ask guests to remove theirs.

6. We don’t use our dining room table. I don’t want my kids to ruin it. We eat elsewhere in the house.

We have never eaten in the living room, only the kitchen or dining room (maybe because we are a family of 7 and don’t have enough seating in there). Due to the size our our family, we usually eat on paper plates, at first so I’d only have to run the dishwasher once a day, now with 4/5 of us, I can run it every other day. Our kitchen garbage gets taken out 3 times a day. Since I do laundry daily, nothing is ever worn more than once. Not once in their lives have my kids worn a pair of pajamas twice (until they got to college).

Shoes off in the house. I didn't even know this was a (mostly) Canadian thing until a few years ago. It still bugs me when I watch TV and people leave their shoes on in their house 😂 Also, dinner at our house is rarely before 7pm. Sometimes on thr weekend it might be a bit earlier. Another reason we choose second dining on cruises, even when our kids were younger

It always drives me crazy when people on TV sit on their bed or sofa with shoes on. It always squicks me out. But I guess I never realized how ingrained people wearing shoes on TV is because I was watching Episodes (fantastic show btw if you like dry humor) and Matt Leblanc was sitting around his house barefoot and it was so jarring. Like I live in FL, I see bare feet all the time but it was weird and really stood out in that one scene.

We have never eaten in the living room, only the kitchen or dining room (maybe because we are a family of 7 and don’t have enough seating in there). Due to the size our our family, we usually eat on paper plates, at first so I’d only have to run the dishwasher once a day, now with 4/5 of us, I can run it every other day. Our kitchen garbage gets taken out 3 times a day. Since I do laundry daily, nothing is ever worn more than once. Not once in their lives have my kids worn a pair of pajamas twice (until they got to college).
Do people wear PJs more than once?

My Mom used to always make Blueberry muffins when we had spaghetti. I carried on the tradition without ever questioning it. After about 10 years of marriage my spouse finally asked why I made them when we had spaghetti. It was as if there was a glitch in the matrix. I didn’t have an answer and was the first time it ever occurred to me that it was an odd pairing.

Glad to read this! We are a banana bread & chicken family ...I have no idea how it started, but it works for us!

Us as well.

If you don't like guests, requiring people in my family & friends in NC & friends in FL to remove their shoes in your home, is a good way to assure you won't have to worry about many people visiting.
Yes, there are definitely regional norms. We knew when we moved to NC that everyone wears shoes in the house here. We accepted it and have never asked guests to remove their shoes. Where we lived before, everyone automatically removed shoes as soon as they entered.

To me, this is normal, lumping it together seems odd to me. If someone is doing laundry I might ask to if I can throw something in an vice versa but as a rule no.
What about if members of your family are babies or small children? I have heard of people having their teens do their own laundry, but never heard of anyone doing separate loads for each person if it’s one individual doing the laundry.

Everyone in my house is capable of doing laundry, but I still find it more efficient to wash together. That way I can do full loads of towels, darks, sheets, etc. My oldest moved back in with us and she does her own laundry, but she just washes all together in one load.

Yes, I never understand how people use hard/cold butter. It doesn’t spread, doesn’t taste as good, and it makes the food you’re putting it on cold.

Meal times...
Dinner at 4
We used to do this when our kids were little and I was a stay-at-home mom. My husband got home from work at 2:45 so we would usually make dinner immediately and eat by 3:30/4:00. Kids would have a little snack before they went to bed.

Not weird to my family but...I have a collection of very nice Christmas decorations....pyramids, music boxes, smokers, hand carved/painted figurines, traditional booths, etc.We have gathered them through the years during our travels to Christkindlmarkts in Europe. I keep them in an antique store display case. The DGKs love admiring them all year long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter