What is the BEST cruise tip you ever learned from the Dis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ziplock bags & ordering room service for port days/excursion!! traveling with 2 little ones, that was a big time life saver, as well as money saver!!!!!!!! :flower:

Extension cords!

Getting a t-shirt signed at guest services!

Making the Flounders ressies myself instead of relying on the concierge!

If you book a cruise yourself to keep checking the price. Saved us $50. Also to buy your own cruise insurance at insuremytrip.com.

The best tip I got was to post to the Cruise Meets board for our cruise. We were on the May repo cruise and ended up linking our dining with and sitting with six of the nicest people I've ever met, all from DISboards. We have kept in close touch since returning. We also met countless other great people from DISboards as well.

Coming away from a cruise with good friends wasn't something I expected!

-steve

take a roll of bubble wrap for anything you buy that's breakable,

(if you can find them anymore) take a package of laundry tablets,

"keep cool" or "migrane ice" adhesive strips-slap one on the back of your neck and lower your body temp immediatly :goodvibes

ask your pharmacist for the smallest bottles available with your perscription lables on them (can pack just enough for the trip and don't have to schlep around the larger bottles/worry about having perscription meds without the perscription verification),

laundry pen for t-shirt autographs,

preaddressing labels for postcards (so i can leave the address book at home),

take a cheap collapsable hamper with handles (can be used for toy chest as well as laundry, fits in the closet, and folds up in your suitcase :cheer2:

- your family's printed address labels for the "return home" luggage tags...rather than writing your name and address etc 6-7 times, just peel a label off and paste....

- pack an empty duffle bag exclusively for souveniers or dirty laundry....invariably, you wind up going home with way more stuff than you came with

-rather than just air freshener for the bathroom, pack a small can of Lysol....does double duty as an air freshener and surface sanitizer....

- Buy your Castaway Cay Postcards at Mickeys Mates, and fill them out prior to leaving the ship for Castaway Cay...drop them off at post office first thing ...you'll save time ....also, the post office sometimes runs out of post cards...you'll need some cash for postage, so don't forget...

- This is a good one....at Cookies BBQ, the line right in front is sometimes long (facing beach) go around the right side, and you'll find another serving station that is usually empty....

- Men ....rather than packing freshly pressed shirts for the cruise, that often arrived creased like youve slept in them, send them out for pressing first night of cruise....at $1.75 for "press only", this is one of the great bargains onboard.....

- bring a well lit digital clock if you like to see what time it is in middle of night....attach to extension cord......for most standard staterooms that I know the layout well, a good place to keep the clock is on top of the storage trunk.....

To make sure that the vent in the bathroom has water in it.

DD noticed a unpleasant "odor." At first, she and I blamed DH who is usually the source. I realized that the smell was coming not from the commode side of the split bath, but from the tub side. This time, DH could not be blamed.

I dumped a couple of glasses of water in the floor drain under the sink and the problem disappeared. :)

FYI with the tip to order room service for sandwiches/snacks to bring onshore the next day. I don't do this myself, but at Cabo San Lucas they had customs checking that absolutely no food was taken off the ship. Not all ports allow this.

1. Read the boards. This one, castawayclub dot com & dcltribute dot com (won't let me post urls) are my personal favorites.

2. Buy a PassPorter's guide (passporter dot com/dcl). My wife read it cover to cover as soon as we got it. I think she's as excited as I am now. I bought Birnbaum's guide a while ago, but I think PassPorter has more good stuff.

RELAX & Have fun!

staceymerrill said:
- This is a good one....at Cookies BBQ, the line right in front is sometimes long (facing beach) go around the right side, and you'll find another serving station that is usually empty...
If I may add to this one (which I heartily agree with), there are two covered seating areas immediately on each side of Cookies, but there is one further away that was almost entirely empty. Look around for the less crowded (and still covered) seating before getting in line so you know exactly where you are going with your full tray.

I think the best tip wouls have to be buying my post card and sending it to myself on CC. I would of never noticed the post office if I had not heard about it on the the disboards.

The other best tip was knowing I needed to bring plenty of change for The Bahamas (1.00 bills etc) :banana: . Not even Atlantis wanted to give you back your one dollar bills!!!

Bring underwater cameras for snorkeling (bought them at Wal Mart); wear a tshirt when snorkeling so the back doesn't burn; bring a nightlight or leave the closet door light on w/ the door slightly ajar; board as soon as possible, eat at the buffet then go swimming as it's not as crowded at that time.
The DIS boards are great & we had an even better time because of the suggestions & tips! Thank you!!

Fly down the night before (still kicking myself over ignoring that one).

Set up camp at the far side of the Family Beach at CC.

Bring along some cheap sand toys of your own - we used them at every port.

Dont' miss Palo.

The best were the over the door shoe holder - and the hooks to hang swimsuits.

Denae

Papaya Enzyme - in case something doesn't agree with you. Works better than Tums or Rolaids
Water Shoes - we watched everyone else gingerly walking around in their bare feet. This was at the "Sports Beach" right before the "Teen Beach."
AK before going to port if you're doing Land/Sea - had a character breakfast, rode most things with no line, then got on a bus to the port
Feather Pillow - ask your stateroom attendant if you want one

Bring extra hangers!

I was surprised that there wasn't much drawer space in the cabins. We were a family of 4 in a Category 11, Inside Stateroom. Without the extra hangers, I would have had stacks of clothes everywhere!

Wild4WDW said:
Bring extra hangers!

I was surprised that there wasn't much drawer space in the cabins. We were a family of 4 in a Category 11, Inside Stateroom. Without the extra hangers, I would have had stacks of clothes everywhere!
Better yet, leave the hangers at home and ask your stateroom attendent for more::yes::

A hanger tip...since I use the heavy-duty plastic hangers at home which would have been horribly bulky, I went to our local dry-cleaners and asked for the wire hangers they use for shirts. They just gave me some. They're really kind of junky but for the short amount of time they're needed, work fine and....they're free! Put your shirt on a hanger...hang it in the bathroom while you shower and wa-la, no wrinkles!

Take lots of pictures! I had our camera and didn't take more than about a dozen shots. I was sooooo sad when we came home. There's no way to go back in time and take pictures of that particular cruise SOOO take lots of pictures!!! :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter