What do you think of this?

Doodlebop

Earning My Ears
I was talking to my friend last night about what we did over the holiday weekend, and she mentioned her neighbors had a cookout. Now let me explain....my friend and her family like to go out and do things on their time out, so they are rarely just home and hanging around outside...all her neighbors do just that...all the time. However this weekend, they bought a new outdoor toy for their kids, and they were all in the backyard for most of the afternoon. She mentioned that when they came in, they had a message from a neighbor that everyone had nothing to do, and they were going to all cook out and 'share'.

I didn't say anything to my friend, but I was thinking about it later, and I think they weren't planning on inviting her, which is SO rude. She mentioned one neighbor wheeling over a cooler of drinks to the people who live next door to her. I think they saw them outside, figured that everyone would be seen, and felt the need to invite her. I mean, most people don't buy enough food for 20 people to all 'share'. We cooked out and had burgers - bought and ate 4 of them. And if someone had a cooler prepared, don't you think they knew about it? She said they didn't go, cuz they didn't get the call til 4:30pm, and had already started their own dinner, but now that I think about it that was rude! How do you see it?

I actually think it was decently considerate. I can imagine being in that position, heading two doors down for a barbeque and realizing that the neighbors in between, whom I don't know as well, are sitting in their yard and might like to join in. Certainly they were under no obligation to invite her and her family. Honestly, if I'd been her, I might've thrown whatever I'd started of dinner at 4:30 into the freezer and headed over, in the name of neighborliness.

I agree, if they don't normally participate in "neighborhood" get togethers and other activities there is realy no reason that they would have thought to invite them beforehand.

I think it was quite neighborly that they called when someone noticed they were home. They weren't under any obligation to do so.

If she is interested in becoming more active with the neighbors I think I would have stopped over even if just to say hi or at least have called back expressing regret that I couldn't attend and ask to be included in the next get together.

I have an extra large, stand up freezer in my garage, loaded with enough food to feed a small army. I also have enough drinks (liquor & other) to supply the neighborhood. It wouldn't be a problem for me to fill up my cooler with drinks and food at the last minute. It doesn't take long to get things together for a spur of the moment BBQ. Even if "I" wasn't invited when the invites went out, I wouldn't care. They saw me, thought of me then, and if I had nothing else to do, get along with everyone there, I would go and enjoy myself.

Sounds like a lot of our neighborhood get-togethers. While they might look "planned", often, they just sort of happen. One neighbor will tell another that they're grilling out and another neighbor says they'll bring something and another joins in, and so on and so on. Next thing you know, you've got a party that looks like it's been planned, but in reality, it just sort of got thrown together.

Sounds like her neighbors were trying to invite them -- they should take their neighbors up on the offer once in a while and their neighbors might feel more comfortable in inviting them informally (e.g. seeing them in the backyard as they walk by and inviting them) in the future. :)

Ya know, ya get drunk and make one pass at a guys wife..and they never invite ya back

Well, maybe I'm reading too much into things! My friend actually didn't seem to think much of it either, apparently since there is always alot going on in her neighborhood. I never thought of it the way all of you did, so thanks! See, good thing they're not my neighbors, they'd probably think I was starting trouble! :D

I actually don't think it was rude. We live on a cul-de-sac with 8 houses. Every other month all the neighbors get together for some kind of get together...and our next door neighbor and us get together just about every weekend. If we see one of the other neighbors home we invite them but rarely do they come. So we take it as they don't normally want to come...and most of our things are done on a last minute schedule.

Sounds like they tried to include them. I think it was a nice gesture not rude at all, considering the circumstances you described.

10 years ago on Memorial Day my neighbor across the street came and rang my bell. She and her husband noticed that everyone in the four corner homes were home without company. She said "Since none of us have a life, why don't you grab whatever you have in the house and come on over". We had a great time and plenty of food and drinks. That started our annual "Get a life barbeque". Every year it gets bigger and bigger and anyone in the neighborhood that we see at home is invited...last minute.

CinderellaIam said:
10 years ago on Memorial Day my neighbor across the street came and rang my bell. She and her husband noticed that everyone in the four corner homes were home without company. She said "Since none of us have a life, why don't you grab whatever you have in the house and come on over". We had a great time and plenty of food and drinks. That started our annual "Get a life barbeque". Every year it gets bigger and bigger and anyone in the neighborhood that we see at home is invited...last minute.

This made me laugh :) What a great idea & tradition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter