What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, been there, done that at the grocery store and never resorted to a leash. My kids QUICKLY learned that they were expected to behave in public, no matter if that were the grocery store, the mall or wherever and if they didn't there were consequences when they got home. When ds and dd1 were little (2 1/2 yrs apart) I did many a grocery store trip with dd in the cart and ds holding onto the side of the cart so that I knew he was with me. Dh worked alot of hours when ds and dd1 were little, so at that time, I was doing my grocery store shopping in the evenings with them after work. I don't miss those days!!

I never had to resort to leashes with my first 3, who were all born in under 5 years - 2 1/2 years is actually my largest gap! Never thought I would, until I had my twins, and I had 5 under 7. The only way I could take them out without a stroller when they were toddlers was using a leash - didn't need one running into the street. I used to take a lot of walks with 2 one year olds, and a 3 year old. Sometimes I didn't want to use the triple stroller.

I'm sure that this has been said a hundred times in this thread, but I'll say it anyway. We were lucky enough to not have to use them for our kids, but I will never fault a parent for using them.
I certainly understand many reasons for doing so. I spoke with a couple at Epcot one day whose child was wearing the little monkey back-pack thing, and they were extremely nervous in that large of a crowd with their only child.

So, if you are just nervous, or you have a "runner" doing something that you feel is keeping your child safe is not usually the wrong thing to do.

They don't want to listen and want to keep walking away? Strap them in the stroller where they can't. They'll eventually learn.

Do you see the irony in your statement? I hope so...

I don't understand the issue of parents using safety devices. I have a very curious 13 month old and another baby due next month. Yes, I use outlet covers and cabinet locks as well as trashcan and toilet locks as these all seem to be "treasure boxes" for him. So what? Great that you chose not to use them or that they weren't used for you. Who cares if other parents do? It's not hurting you and your family any...there's absolutely no reason to criticize another family for opting to use them.

Personally, as a parent, I don't "put up" with my child's disobedience. I may have stood around once or twice, but guarantee that's it. My son is getting a swat on the hand with a scolding so he knows he can't just throw a temper tantrum any time he doesn't get his way. And that has curbed his behavior WAY more than just standing around because he is realizing there are consequences for his actions. Being a parent means recognizing you're the one in authority...NOT the child.

Besides, if the child is firmly rooted to the sidewalk having a screaming toddler meltdown (STM), you don't need the tether at that point -- they are not going anywhere until they calm down...

Do you see the irony in your statement? I hope so...

I knew someone would comment on that.

*sigh*

Guess you don't buckle up your kids when you put them in a car?

There's a reason for buckles in strollers. Some of the smaller ones can tip over if a child leans too far over (or they could fall out of the stroller). The strap across the waist (maybe some have more of a carseat harness now?) is for their safety, not to control them like an animal.

I knew someone would comment on that.

*sigh*

Guess you don't buckle up your kids when you put them in a car?

There's a reason for buckles in strollers. Some of the smaller ones can tip over if a child leans too far over (or they could fall out of the stroller). The strap across the waist (maybe some have more of a carseat harness now?) is for their safety, not to control them like an animal.

So, I see we're in agreement that it's all about the safety of the kids. That's all I wanted to confirm.

So, I see we're in agreement that it's all about the safety of the kids. That's all I wanted to confirm.

:rotfl: Your like a politician, pulling words out of a quote to make your own point. Re read JDuckies post. It's far different than what you made it out to be with your highlights.

I heard a man say one time "you put your dog on a leash, and you care much more about your children then your dog, so why wouldn't you do it?" I think it puts the issue in perspective.

Also, you only have to see parents wondering around in front of the castle at night crying because they have lost their child. I have seen it twice in all my trips, and would never want to be that person.

the whole you leash your dog why not your kids argument doesn't hold water for me. We expect more from our children than our dogs, and well we should. Children are smarter than dogs, and can be expected to learn much more easily not to stray. We leash our dogs because the don't know any better than to run into the street or after a car. We can easily teach our children better.

Haven't read through the thread. Just want to reply to OP. My opinion is that it's nobody elses business at all if parents choose to use them or not. If you don't like them, fine.. Don't use them. If you do , it's your choice and it's a stupid thing for people to get judged over.

I'm here thus week and have seen a few. My 6 year old asked if she could wear one!! LOL of course I said "no, you're a big girl and don't need it" but I'll be honest... I would be more fearful of being seen by a DISer and finding a thread about it when I returned!:rotfl:

Leashes are for dogs not kids, if you can't lick your own private area your not allowed to have a leash attached to ya... It's just the law.

Leashes are for dogs not kids, if you can't lick your own private area your not allowed to have a leash attached to ya... It's just the law.

Guess Ron Jeremy can use a leash on his kids then if he wants :happytv:

Not really unless you know who people are talking about?

It's apparent they do.

But, seriously, this thread has probably lived its course (and then some)

Guess we can add kids on leashes to politics and religion as to the topics that will have two sides that will never agree. :rolleyes1

I have seen WAY too many kids get hurt with those things. Thats all I'm sayin.

We have 3 kids and all are grown. 2 were ADHD andI never used a leash with any of them. The first time I saw a child with one, I was appalled. Today, I feel like, to each his own but I'm glad that we never used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter