• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your rules on Travel?

All flights. I live close to SNA. I won't travel out of LAX. If I'm going international, I'll take a connecting flight through SFO or literally anywhere else. I have a very low tolerance for travel hassles and LAX ratchets up my anxiety too much.
I would prefer to fly out of a different airport but I'm not down to pay the extra money LOL. I did it for an upcoming trip to fly back into Burbank so I'd be closer to home.

That's a good point. KFC is a whole new animal in Japan too.
I didn't go to KFC but I did go to Taco Bell because I was super curious and it was actually really good. It's kind of like Chipotle where you can customize the type of meat, soft or hard tortilla, cheese, spiciness level and other add ons. Oh and you can get beer and wine as well.

I would prefer to fly out of a different airport but I'm not down to pay the extra money LOL. I did it for an upcoming trip to fly back into Burbank so I'd be closer to home.

There is always more money coming in. My mental health has a finite capacity. I will no longer subject myself to additional hassle in the name of money. The savings is never even close to being worth it, and besides, flying out of LAX for me means a higher parking/transportation bill to get there. I can Uber from here to SNA for like $15.

Avoid needing to drive if possible. In much of Europe we can get around very easily using trains. We did need a car in Ireland when we went out to Dingle, but so far that's the only time we've used on in Europe. I don't even like to drive around Disney, when we've driven there we generally park the car the whole time we're onsite.

Limit luggage to one 24" suitcase and a smaller carryon (backpack or duffel, not a 20" suitcase) per person. Anything more gets very unwieldy on trains. Easy on a 1 week trip, not as easy on a 2 week trip.

I don't cook or do laundry on vacation.

We stay in hotels, not AirBNBs or anything like that. I don't trust them.

Avoid needing to drive if possible. In much of Europe we can get around very easily using trains. We did need a car in Ireland when we went out to Dingle, but so far that's the only time we've used on in Europe. I don't even like to drive around Disney, when we've driven there we generally park the car the whole time we're onsite.

Limit luggage to one 24" suitcase and a smaller carryon (backpack or duffel, not a 20" suitcase) per person. Anything more gets very unwieldy on trains. Easy on a 1 week trip, not as easy on a 2 week trip.

I've done AirBnBs with the assumption that it will be terrible so I go in with low expectations. I've only done it a handful of times and have picked places that are somewhat local - as a soCal person, everything is local lol.

There is always more money coming in. My mental health has a finite capacity. I will no longer subject myself to additional hassle in the name of money. The savings is never even close to being worth it, and besides, flying out of LAX for me means a higher parking/transportation bill to get there. I can Uber from here to SNA for like $15.
Very true. That's why I only fly direct - when I was at 100% health, I could have handled a connecting flight but always preferred not to and now with autoimmune disorders, I want it easy!

This. I never get people that go to a new state or country, and then go to places like McDonalds or Subway.

Right now there's a guy running around the streets of Venice looking for an Olive Garden.

I can understand if:
1. You arrive late in the day to your destination and need a quick and easy fix.
2. The franchise in your area stinks, but you hear the local one is really good.
3. Poor weather limits your choices.
4. You're evading an spirit-possessed fetish doll that wants to stab your ankles, and you need to duck inside Applebee's. Honestly I make this mistake even at home.
I had the best quarter pounder with cheese that I have ever eaten at a McDonald's in Ireland.

I really don't have any rules for travel. We sometimes stay in nice places, sometimes we don't. I prefer flying but we do intentionally set out on road trips (one coming up next weekend actually).

I don't think we have any real defined rules around travel. We definitely aren't world class travelers but have been abroad and around the US to know what we like and don't like. We've backpacked, camped, van-camped, stayed in luxury resorts and regular old hotels and I won't rule anything out so long as it's safe and clean. We will drive long road trips and don't mind it either, we actually prefer it but we don't always have enough time. And we've done airbnbs too depending on where we're headed. I will cook some on certain trips if it's a beach house trip or a longer vacation but most disney trips or short travel, we just eat out.

We've flown Spirit and Frontier before and never have had any issues, guess we've been lucky. We don't check bags either so maybe that's why we've been ok. We have a two-week trip abroad soon and we all have carry ons. We've perfected packing light much to the disappointment of teenage girls. We try to fly direct but sometimes there's no avoiding connections and we live near an AA hub so it is what it is. Air travel is the pits now compared to what it was, even first and business class have fewer benefits than years ago. It's all focused on who can board first and hog overhead compartment space as opposed to hot cookies, warm towels, reclining seats, free drinks etc. I've pretty much have decided that flying is the in the air version of going to the DMV.

We actually did a road trip in Europe. Started in Paris (didn't get car until leaving there). We visited Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands. We even went to Dover and had to drive on the other side of the road. That was a great vacation!

Agree with DLgal. First choice is LGB, close second is SNA, LAX is third by a mile, and I'll check ONT and Burbank, sometimes even San Diego - just in case.

My rules, both born out of Disney trips;
1) You can't say "I don't want to". You can say "I would rather", and then we'll do that, whatever it is. This rule came from a DCL cruise where the kids were moping in deck chairs instead of enjoying the send-off party. Everyone had a great time from that point forward, and that included going swimming during a rain storm off the coast of Alaska. The kids would rather do that, so we did.

2) NOTHING MOTIVATES LIKE ABANDONMENT. You might want to save this rule for when your kids are a little older, HS in our case. Mom & Dad and little sister will be ready to go for first bus and will be rope-dropping. If you are sleeping in, taking more time in the bathroom, whatever it is you do, fine. You have our cell phone #s and you know what park we are headed to. We'll see you there when you are ready. The threat was enough - nobody has ever missed rope drop.

This. I never get people that go to a new state or country, and then go to places like McDonalds or Subway.

Right now there's a guy running around the streets of Venice looking for an Olive Garden.

I can understand if:
1. You arrive late in the day to your destination and need a quick and easy fix.
2. The franchise in your area stinks, but you hear the local one is really good.
4. You're evading an spirit-possessed fetish doll that wants to stab your ankles, and you need to duck inside Applebee's. Honestly I make this mistake even at home.
Yeah I think avoiding the chains in a new location is always something to aim for. I do, however, make exceptions for:
- Coffee. I try to find something within walking distance, so I'll work with whatever I've got. Sometimes that ends up being a Timmys.
- Cheesecake Factory. My wife loves Cheesecake Factory.

Well of course! That's because McDonald's is Irish food. It's right in the name!
What a Kroc

I've done AirBnBs with the assumption that it will be terrible so I go in with low expectations. I've only done it a handful of times and have picked places that are somewhat local - as a soCal person, everything is local lol.
Airbnbs do require more legwork than a hotel, and it does feel a little risky when you book based on descriptions, reviews and photos. But we've booked places from Barcelona to Oahu's North Shore, and have been disappointed only once. Just did one with my family in San Diego this past summer - 14 people in one house, which for us worked out better than booking 4 hotel rooms for a week.

So it can be worth your while. But you will be doing more research to find a place that will work for you.

Now apart from fast food joints, have you all ever eaten at a restaurant of a completely different culture than the place you were visiting? Say, a sushi place in Mexico, or eaten Chinese in Italy?
Also in Ireland...went to restaurant called Mexico to Rome. We had chicken nachos for an app and then I had lasagna with a side of fries for dinner. :)

In Amsterdam (I think) we went to a Chi-Chis.

I can understand if:
Since you’re not gonna find out on your own, I’ll tell you. The fruit that comes with a Happy meal at the McDonald’s in Dingle, Ireland, is melon balls.
I’m sorry, but that was mind blowing for me. Why can’t we have melon as fruit in the US?
And they have brownies in France. Same question. We need McDonald’s brownies in the US.

Now apart from fast food joints, have you all ever eaten at a restaurant of a completely different culture than the place you were visiting? Say, a sushi place in Mexico, or eaten Chinese in Italy?
The Chinese food in Ireland was pretty good.
In France it was great.
And for obvious reasons, the Couscous in France is amazing, too.
(Not a fan of Mexican food in France.)

I have no travel rules except do it as often as possible!! I travel a variety of different ways and I love the variety! I love road trips, I love flying. I love luxury and I love roughing it. Just this year I’ve done a week at a luxury resort in Mexico, a wilderness adventure backpacking overnight in the Grand Tetons, next weekend we’re heading to the Marriot Marquis in Times Square, and the following weekend we’ll be in a rustic cabin in Hannibal Missouri 😂 I’m up for anything!!

I won't fly more than 2-4 hours. Or I prefer not to. Will have to eventually because the DH wants to do Euroope. But need to prepare mentally for a long time (and drug up).

I prefer not to drive more than like 7 hours too but we bought a place in FL and also have a rental in MD and will be doing the 15 hour drive multiple times a year, ugh. We tend to do it in 2 stints, like 9-12 hours one day and 6-3 hours the other day. So I guess there is no rules for driving. Especially since I hate flying. Hate flying way more than I hate driving so....

I won't do cold weather trips...like NY in Dec or Chicago in Jan....that type of thing. Will do warm places in hot weather like FL in Aug but that's getting to be hard with age and may soon go on the list of travel nopes.

Guess my 2 rules are:
1) if I MUST fly, will only do under 4 hour flight
2) not doing vacays where I need to bundle in parka, gloves and hat while running around outside getting to places that I could do in other months while in t-shirt and shorts

Last edited:
The Chinese food in Ireland was pretty good.
In France it was great.
And for obvious reasons, the Couscous in France is amazing, too.
(Not a fan of Mexican food in France.)
Never tried Mexican food in France, but I've tried pizza at a German restaurant, and that wasn't good. However, there very well may be places that specialize in pizza in Germany with far better results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter