What are your rules on Travel?

Try to Always take direct flights
No road trips - rather fly
Arrive Early
Leave Late
Stay in nice hotel always - no cheap hotels
Look for deals / discounts anywhere and everywhere
Use Credit Card in case of problems - this has come into play more times than not !!
Travel Ins
Don’t travel if all possible during hurricane season - although I’ve had storms outside of season that would have been hurricanes but were outside of season so not named - some things can’t be helped

I used to prioritize experience over convenience. Now I know that I am simply incapable of enjoying experiences if I'm stressed over too many inconveniences. So my rule now is to is to not skimp on transportation or lodging, even if I'm not spending much time in my room or a plane or whatever. The stressors prevent me from truly enjoying the experience.

*First non stop MHT-MCO (6 am is back!)
*COFFEE and lunch
*Pick up groceries/$ store
*Hope for check in prior to 5 pm at a DVC or Bonnet Creek (our newest addition)
*Unpack and move in!
*Dinner out if all goes well (#1) and frozen pizza (good #2) if not

:welcome:

No drives longer than 4 hours

Flights over 4 hours = first class

Thoroughly research all hotels (we’ve stayed in some terrible ones because we didn’t do this)

Build in relaxation time

Take more pictures (I always forget to take pictures)

Never fly Spirit or any other discount airline. For land travel, the bigger the vehicle the better. No sleeping on the ground, in a tent, or in a car. It's got to be comfortable.

In defense of Spirit in particular, you just have to book with the expectation that you're going to pay a lot more than advertised. If you do then you can actually have a much better experience than the same amount of money at a lot of competitors. IOW if you can only afford $400 per ticket, booking Spirit can get you a lot further, with a lot more comfort and perks, than spending the same amount on United, American, and a lot of other airlines.

Be ready for the unexpected.
Go with the flow
Don’t act like the ugly American…be kind, be nice, smile and don’t talk too loud or fast.
Stay in the best hotel possible. Never underestimate the power of a good bed and shower.
Never stay with friends…get a hotel room
Enjoy a good meal and wine as much as possible.
Always be willing to talk to strangers and meet potential new friends.
Try new foods
Be happy you’re able to travel.

In the current environment, no flying, only driving. Air fares are nuts, flight interruptions too frequent, baggage getting lost, high rental car rates and people not having rental reservations honored. I'm retired so money is a concern, I have time to drive, and prior to retirement we purchased new cars so we have reliable transportation in retirement.

In defense of Spirit in particular, you just have to book with the expectation that you're going to pay a lot more than advertised. If you do then you can actually have a much better experience than the same amount of money at a lot of competitors. IOW if you can only afford $400 per ticket, booking Spirit can get you a lot further, with a lot more comfort and perks, than spending the same amount on United, American, and a lot of other airlines.
From what I've seen happening at the Spirit terminal at one of Houston's airports, it's not about the cost - it's about the overbooking, the chaos at boarding, and the lack of organization in just about every other aspect at the airport.

Non-stop flights whenever possible.
Nice hotels - always!
I put the trip on a credit card, but it is paid off completely - always!
Don't over schedule - I want time to relax and chill.
Appreciate every day.

For example never going on a 24 hour plane trip
From personal experience, the travel itself wasn't bad. But my internal clock was messed up for a week. Flew HKG-NRT-LAX-YYZ. Was definitely drinking beer at 10am in LAX.

For flying, carryon only if possible. For short flights, see if driving or a train is a feasible option.

If I'm staying somewhere more than 3 nights with the wife and kids, I'll book an Airbnb if the cost is about the same or less than a hotel.

Speaking of Airbnb, never book a place with no reviews, read those reviews carefully, and make sure the place has a refund policy.

No matter where I stay, make sure that I know where the nearest non-Dunkin coffee shops are.

Road trips will have a break every 4 hours, preferably by a Costco where I can gas up and not have my card skimmed. An "if necessary " stop at the 2 hour mark will also be marked down.

Also for road trips - 5 Hour Energy shots and coffee.

Finally, always bring my NEXUS card.

Reactions: shh
My rule is, never pay to stay anywhere that is "worse' than what I have at home lol. So, no camping, no crappy hotels.

This is my travel motto in general. We live in a pretty fantastic location, so it takes a LOT to get me on a plane somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter