We're off tomorrow!

Are there still a lot of shops closed in Festival Bay? DH likes Bass Pro sports too but there didn't seem to be much else there. Glad that you are having fun.

Festival Bay is very quiet. We don't know how they make enough money to keep going. We noticed that most of the shop and stall staff were reading books or playing computer games. They must get so bored with having no customers to serve.

Of the shops that are there, some of them seem to be running down the stock levels e.g. Nine West which hardly had anything left to sell, except the shoe racks themselves.

Had a lie-in this morning - till after 8:00 am. :)

Thought, as it was Sunday, we'd give Sweet Tomatoes a try for breakfast. However, we found out (when we got there) that the new LBV one doesn't do breakfast. So that was a bit of a waste of time. Went to Bob Evans on 192 instead. Got served quickly and the food was pretty good - usual fare of eggs, sausage, pancakes and coffee.

Drove to the Winery (listening to the football commentaries on the radio on the way). Did the free wine tastings first. Then it was only $2 entry (and free for mothers due to it being Mothers' Day over here) to the jazz festival. There were two different bands who each did two sets. Very relaxing few hours sitting under the trees, listening to the music. The wines were available by the glass. Beer was also for sale, and several different stands were selling food - from ice cream and burgers to crab cakes and chilli. We didn't eat there - but many people seemed to be enjoying the food. The setting was idyllic. Again I'll post some pictures when we get home.

Weren't sure where to eat this evening, as everywhere was busy for Mothers' Day. We had never been to Golden Corral for dinner, so went to the one near Celebration on 192. It was packed to bursting point, so we went into Celebration and to the Market St Tavern. DH had turkey and I went for the herb crusted chicken. Was slightly disappointed in mine, but it was ok.

Going to the West Coast tomorrow.

Interesting night last night - an attemted intruder!

DH and I were asleep when I was woken up by a noise. I thought I heard someone on the balcony outside our bedroom window. I woke up DH who did a quick check round, said he couldn't see or hear anyone and went back to sleep again. :confused3 I kept listening and heard it again. I was terrified someone was breaking in. I woke up DH again (he was not amused) and he opened the vertical blinds to the patio door to be confronted by the culprit - a raccoon! We had seen the creature (or one of its friends) a couple of nights ago when we came back after dark to the house and thought at first that a large cat was wandering about till we saw it properly.

Also, I forgot to post last night that we saw a couple of crocodiles (not alligators we were told) in the Lake at Celebration. They were not large ones but they came fairly close to the steps.

Onto today. 7:30 am b'fast at Ponderosa then we drove I4, I75 and I275 over the Sunshine Skyway bridge - which was quite a spectacular sight.

We then drove to have a look at Fort de Soto Park (Tripadvisor's Best Beach 2008 & 2009). It was realtively unspoilt and quiet - but I guess it gets busy at weekends and holidays. We also had a look at Pass-a-Grille beach before going north along Gulf Boulevard to John's Pass - which I'd describe as a cross between Kissimmee Old Town and the queuing area for Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-rat Barges! It's a pity that all the seafront is now bulit upon and you can't get any sight of the dea as you drive along the beach resorts. North again to Clearwater Beach and we booked tickets for Little Toot for 3:00 pm sailing. Spent a little time on the beach and in the sea till just before the boat sailed. Sadly, we only saw about half a dolphin during the trip! However, we have been promised a free trip next time we are there.

Ate at Manny's again on the way back. It's getting to be a habit! The top sirloin is just sooo lean and tasty. Will miss that place when we go home. Only had a 5 minute wait for a table tonight.

We are going jet-skiing tomorrow morning, all being well, and finishing off the shopping in the afternoon.

We have never actually seen a racoon - but I have had to tidy up the mess left by one a couple of times when they been through our rubbish bins :mad:

Sounds like you had a good day - shame you didn't get to see the dolphins on Little Toot but at least you got a free trip out of the deal. I am looking forward to all these pics when you get back :thumbsup2

We had a raccoon outside our hotel a few years ago, going thru the bin each evening.
Wonder if we saw crocs or gators around Celebration.
Enjoy Jet skiing:goodvibes

Things didn't quite go to plan today. I've had a problem with my leg and ended up in Celebration Hospital's ER. I'm ok now, but it did mean we didn't get to the jetskiing. That'll have to wait till next year. We've jetskied a few times in Wales anyway.

Spent the afternoon and early evening at Premium Outlet mall - buying Kiehl's products at the Lancome outlet, running shoes at Nike and t-shirts at Eddie Bauer - all for me. DH didn't see anything he particularly wanted. Is it just us or are the bargains getting fewer and further between these days? I had been looking for new gym gear but didn't think the prices were much better than back in the UK. The Kiehl's stuff was much cheaper then it would be at home though.

Went to Texas de Brazil for dinner but it was packed and would have been 40 minute wait for a table. Decided to try Bubbalou's instead. A very different experience to TdB but the food was good and we were served quickly. I had the baby back ribs and shrimp while DH had brisket and chicken. Tasty, well-cooked and good value.

Hoping to get to EPCOT tomorrow. We haven't been there for about 3 years, so we expect to be there for the full day.

Questions for Wayne - do you know when and why Texas Roadhouse closed? And whether they have another location in the area?

Hope you don't have anymore problems with your leg.

From one extreme to the other with TdB and Bubbalous. About $50 compared to $10-15:goodvibes, I had the 3 meat combo there, loads of food. Did you use the $5 coupon off their website?

Texas Roadhouse was open last August when Nigel(DISwolves) ate there, I believe it closed not long after that.
Just found a few posts on Tripadvisor from Sept 2009 saying it was closing so I would say Sept/Oct.
Couldn't believe it when our friends told us, it was always packed when we went.

Just catching up with your trip again :)

Glad your leg is better - how did you find the Celebration hospital?

Your day at the winery sounds ideal - a lovely day.

I keep reading about Mannys - have never been in all the time we have been to WDW - where is it? It sounds like it's worth the drive :)

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Its great to read your reports...and you do stuff that we wouldn't think of doing which is making it even more interesting :thumbsup2 I always like "live" reports cause it makes you feel as though you are really there:rotfl:

Hope you don't have anymore problems with your leg.

From one extreme to the other with TdB and Bubbalous. About $50 compared to $10-15:goodvibes, I had the 3 meat combo there, loads of food. Did you use the $5 coupon off their website?

Texas Roadhouse was open last August when Nigel(DISwolves) ate there, I believe it closed not long after that.
Just found a few posts on Tripadvisor from Sept 2009 saying it was closing so I would say Sept/Oct.
Couldn't believe it when our friends told us, it was always packed when we went.

Leg much better now, thanks.

Yes - DH had the $5 coupon for Bubbalou's! He doesn't post on the board but reads it regularly and always looks out for any coupons and deals that you mention. :rotfl:

Shame about Texas Roadhouse. We had been looking forward to going there again.

Just catching up with your trip again :)

Glad your leg is better - how did you find the Celebration hospital?

Your day at the winery sounds ideal - a lovely day.

I keep reading about Mannys - have never been in all the time we have been to WDW - where is it? It sounds like it's worth the drive :)

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

I have to say that the Celebration Hospital was not quite what we expected. It's our first encounter (hopefully the last!) with hospitals in the US and we had sort of expected the care to be along the lines of private care that you get in the UK. To me though, it was very much like the NHS - only with a big bill at the end! We were there ages - waiting to register, waiting to see a nurse, waiting to see a doctor, waiting for tests, waiting for results, waiting to be discharged, waiting for the bill, waiting to pay. All took far longer than I expected. I was probably expecting too much. All in all, it was a very similar experience to going to A&E at our local NHS hospital at home.

Manny's is South on highway 27 - at Haines City

http://www.mannyschophouse.com/locations.html

The steaks are fantastic.

Quick report on today's activities.

Up at 6:30 am and early breakfast at Cracker Barrel - Momma's Breakfast Pancakes with Blackberries (and eggs and sausage) and coffee.

Got to EPCOT around park opening at 9:00 am. Walked straight onto Test Track and then Mission Space. Got fastpasses for Soarin' and then went on various other rides and attractions without having to queue long for any.

Went to Beaches and Cream late afternoon. It's only the second time we've been - the last time must be over 5 years ago - but will definitely go again. Very good service and fresh food. DH had the hot beef sub with fries and I had a burger. DH didn't want some onion rings to share, so the server suggested I change my fries for onion rings which I did - and we were only charged $1 extra for that. DH then had a vanilla shake - or should I say two? There was enough to fill his glass twice over!

Stayed at the park till after ROE at 9:00 pm.

Aquatica again tomorrow.

DH had the hot beef sub

Aquatica again tomorrow.

Thats what Matt had last month, it will be what I have next visit.
I had same expectations from a US hospital, hope I never have to go now.
Enjoy Aquatica

Its great to read your reports...and you do stuff that we wouldn't think of doing which is making it even more interesting :thumbsup2 I always like "live" reports cause it makes you feel as though you are really there:rotfl:

Thanks! We always like to do something 'a bit different'. Over the years we've done all sorts of things, like seeing an Orlando Magic basketball game, Exotic Car festivals, Antique Boat festival, Pie Festival (including all you can eat pie buffet!), concert at Hard Rock Live, lunch at Chalet Suzanne, swamp buggy ride, visited Disney Wilderness Preserve, Cypress Gardens, Fantasy of Flight (where DH arranged for me to fly a plane as a surprise) helicopter flight, Daytona Raceway and probably more that I can't remember at the moment. DS once did the indoor skydiving - but DH was warned against it as he had a previous shoulder dislocation.

I was hoping to get to the Silver Moon drive-in cinema this visit - but the films were starting a bit too late for us. DH likes to get up and out early in the day, so we tend not to stay out very late.

DH was hoping to go to the Revolution offroad driving place and was thinking about the Safari zipwire activity - but neither he nor I have really got a head for heights! :confused3

All these (and the jetskiing) will just go on the list of things to do next year! We always end up running out of time. :)

Today we were up early again at 6:30am and had breakfast at Perkins. We both had similar meals, but with different fillings for our omlettes which came with hashbrowns - and pancakes. Quick service - but we were just about the only ones in there at that time.

Got to Aquatica as it opened - and got the first regular space next to the preferred parking. It was very quiet there for the first 2-3 hours. We went on the Roa Rapids first (with the lifejackets on :) )and there were only four people on the whole thing. It's our favourite thing there too so it was great having it almost to ourselves. Not many more people even on the lazy river until later. Perhaps some people get a lie-in on holiday? Not if they were anywhere near DH! :rolleyes1

Weather was hot - but not as hot as last week. Partly cloudy, but still plenty of sun. Nice relaxing day.

Left the park just before 4:30 pm and went to Texas de Brazil as it opened at 5:00 pm. Excellent quality food and service - but pricey if you don't have a BOGOF coupon. We had one for DH's birthday :thumbsup2

Looks like the launch is still on for tomorrow - so it'll be an early breakfast and then heading off to Titusville to get parked up.

I had a customer in yesterday, not to buy anything just to tell me about TdB:rotfl: telling me how much he enjoyed it.
We have not been because we are a family of 3, even with voucher we would still have to pay full for 2 of us. I am sure we will try it one day when I feel like splashing out.

All looks well for the launch, enjoy.:goodvibes

We did that trip a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Keep meaning to go back but then find other new things to do!

Made it to BG today.

Had a light breakfast at the townhouse today after getting up early and checking the election results (or lack of!). Got to BG about 9:30 to find all lanes into the car parks backed up. The park opened at 9:30 and we don't think they were allowing anyone onto the carparks early like they used to.

Parked the closest we had ever been to the tram.

To be honest, we were rather disappointed with BG this time. It felt like they had cut back quite a bit on staff .e.g some of the toilets were not kept as clean as we'd seen in the past. Some of the attractions were closed, due to maintenance (the railway and one of the coasters). We were also very sad to see that Rhino Rally is now merely a shadow of its former self, the water part of the ride now having been removed. The Clydesdale horses have also gone from here, as they seem to have done from Sea World.

There were absolutely hoards of kids there on school trips. Not sure if this was due to it being a Friday. We've made a mental note to only visit at weekends from now on. We queued for the Gwazi wooden coaster - and the noise from the schoolkids was deafening! We're getting less tolerant as we get older, I think! ;)

Got stuck in a traffic jam on the way back. There'd been a few minor crashes. We had planned to go to Manny's again but it was almost 7:00 pm by the time we got there and the wait was 60 mins for a table. However, as we were prepared to sit out on the front porch, we got served straightaway. Had exactly the same as we'd had on the last visit - same high standard too.
They know exactly what their customers want and give it to them, consistently well and at a good price.

Both feeling a bit tired tonight. We've never been here before after 5th May and are definitely feeling the difference in temperature to our usual late March/April dates.

I think it's going to be EPCOT tomorrow - our first (and probably only) Disney park this trip.

If back in time, will post another update tomorrow night.

Just a quick note. The water portion of the Rhino Rally ride has not gone, we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was still there. They were, however, having technical difficulties with that portion of the ride throughout the day, and kept announcing that they were only able to run the land-based part of the ride. We got lucky, they got it all up and running just as we boarded our vehicle. I would be very sad if they did away with it altogether.

Glad you're having a great trip, loving reading about it. When we got to the Budget garage on our recent trip, the guy offered me a Ford Focus or a Mustang. No prizes for guessing which one I chose!!

Just a quick note. The water portion of the Rhino Rally ride has not gone, we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was still there. They were, however, having technical difficulties with that portion of the ride throughout the day, and kept announcing that they were only able to run the land-based part of the ride. We got lucky, they got it all up and running just as we boarded our vehicle. I would be very sad if they did away with it altogether.

Glad you're having a great trip, loving reading about it. When we got to the Budget garage on our recent trip, the guy offered me a Ford Focus or a Mustang. No prizes for guessing which one I chose!!

Not sure what 's happening with Rhino Rally then. I think we'll have to see what future visitors have to say when they come back - as the driver definitely told us that the ride had been changed - and it would be a permanent change. He didn't seem too happy about it either.

The Mustangs are great, aren't they? We actually paid extra in advance three years ago so we could have one for DH's birthday, but had decided we couldn't justify the extra expense this year. We hit lucky, I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter