Wanted: First Marathon Tips!

Livelovedance

DIS Veteran
I've searched the boards for a thread on this, but I didn't find quite what I'm looking for. I'm registered for my first marathon at the 2022 WDW Marathon Weekend, and I'm really looking forward to it! As I'm moving through training and the long runs are starting to get longer, questions are starting to pop into my mind. I know there are plenty of runners here on the boards, so I'm hoping to compile a good list of tips/strategies/suggestions/experiences/etc. (Disclaimer: I know everyone is different and what works for some may not work for all! I'd love to hear anything that anyone has to share, and then take what I've learned and do what works for me. :))

A little background info for reference:
- I've run multiple 5Ks and 10Ks, locally and in WDW. I've run 4 half marathons (2 in WDW, 2 virtual).
- I can relate to Baymax:
- I've run 10Ks to meet the previous POT requirements for half marathons, but the new requirements are quite a reach!
- I've been actively following the Marathon Weekend thread here on the boards.
- I'm currently following the Galloway Beginner Marathon Training Plan.
- I'm a solo runner.
- I run with earbuds for every run, except runDisney races.
- I have been fitted in a local running store for good shoes, so I feel good in that area.
- Outside of running, I'm a fan of cardio. I have a Peloton bike and enjoy the cycling and strength classes.

Things I'm wondering/I'd like to know more about:
- Fuel/Nutrition: I have absolutely no experience, except I have tried Sport Beans from runDisney. I'll admit my first half marathon was the first time I tried any type of fuel. I know, nothing new on race day!:duck:I ate 1 bean from the pack and waited to see how I felt. I was good so I just held on to it and ate 1 as needed. I just recently bought a couple packs for future long training runs. I have some food texture issues (ex: I can't eat bananas), so I figured this was safer than a goo or gel...
- Pacing: I'm using my easy/LR pace for training. I wonder if it would be helpful to work to increase my speed a little during one of the shorter weekday runs each week.
- Making it through long training runs: My current easy/LR pace has me looking at pretty long training runs for the rest of the plan. I'm determined to do it, so I will, but I'm trying to imagine myself running all these miles (especially the last long run - 26 miles!). I know once I get through it I'll be confident to be able to do it for the race, but running 26 miles by yourself is COMPLETELY different from doing it in a race with cheering spectators and all of your "running friends..." :cheer2: Any advice? I'll be running a workday to get those miles done!

Any and all advice/tips/suggestions are welcome! Any training advice, race advice (WDW or otherwise), recovery advice, etc. Any good books? I'll take anything you have to offer!

Thanks in advance!

Fuel/Nutrition
This is something I haven't quite figured out but do want to stress the importance. I never needed to fuel for a half and ran my first marathon without a fueling plan. Long story short, it's a miracle that I finished and I didn't even consider running another for 5 more years.
Last time around, I was avoiding processed sugars and went with dried fruit. This worked okay, but if I never eat another apricot again it will be too soon. I also vaguely remember eating pretzels and twizzlers from strangers. Next time, I'll be sure to pack a few options so I don't have to rely on the kindness of strangers.
I also have texture sensitivity and can't eat bananas without gagging so I'll be curious what you find works for you.

Making it through long training runs
You may want to consider a different training plan if you're worried about finding time to run 26 miles. The most important thing is to find a plan that you can commit to. Many of them only go up to 20 miles which I'm guessing would make it at least an hour less on that day. Some of the others will also have some speed days if you're interested in some faster pace runs.

My best advice is to stick to your training. Missing a run or two is okay, but if you miss a week or more, you'll pay the price on race day. You may still finish, it'll just be a lot more painful.

A lot of people complain about the crowd at Disney but I think it's one of the best parts. You'll never find yourself alone on the course. It's a lot of fun to encourage the other runners and feed off of one another's energy.

I'm also a not-so-fast runner. In fact, there are several of us planning to get together as team Not-So-Fast for the races in January - you're welcome to join us! One bit of advice @DopeyBadger gave me a few years ago was that running more than 3 hours is not beneficial in your training. So when you get to those long runs where the mileage would put you over that time, don't worry about the miles and just run 3 hours.

He also has great advice on fuel and puts nutrition practice into his plans, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly with spreadsheets. :D

I agree with @GollyGadget that the two most important things are (i) picking a training plan and absolutely sticking to it (try not to miss even one run, if possible) and (ii) figuring out your fueling/hydration strategy, especially putting it all together during your long training runs.

There are quite a few gels out there, and many have different consistencies (and flavors), so you may want to buy one each of several to see if any will work for you. You can also try other options: beans, Honey Stinger Waffles, etc. I would recommend trying them while you're running as (i) things can taste/feel differently to you when you're running, and (ii) you want to make sure they are okay with your stomach while exercising. Also, take some water after eating them. This is most likely how you will want to do it on race day as well: as you are approaching the water stop, eat your gel/beans/waffles/etc ahead of time, such that you can wash it down immediately afterwards. For me, I found a gel brand or two that I liked, and what worked best for me during a race was alternating gel/water & sports drink at every other water stop: so, I would eat an e-Gel before the first water stop and then take the water, but at the next water stop, I would only drink whatever sports drink was offered (gatorade/poweraid).

I’m also training for my first marathon and have asked an annoying amount of questions. 😂

I asked about specific fueling strategies in my training journal this spring and got these helpful comments:

So fueling is most definitely "an experiment of one" --you will find something that works for you. I'll give you my example--only to show you my thought process/body preference.

I currently use gels. Why? First, I don't like consuming vast quantities of liquid (e.g. Powerade/Gatorade) to get my nutrition. I don't want to feel a sloshy stomach when I run. Next, I am not going to deal with chewing anything (e.g sport beans, gummies, etc)--it takes too long and if I am racing (vs training) I don't have the mental focus to deal with that (frankly, it would piss me off!). Finally, I like the discrete known quantity of a gel pack--I know exactly what I am consuming when I consume it. Also, unrelated to form of fuel, I always stop briefly to fuel unless racing, and I do it every 30 minutes or so after the first 45 minutes or so.

One other comparable solution that I have also tried is to do a concentrated form of something like Tailwind--mix it so you get the equivalent calories of a gel in a very small amount of liquid. But you need a small bottle to carry that, and if you use a hydration vest, that may not be an option.

Good luck finding something that works for you.
So a few things:

-Research shows that while you're unlikely to reach glycogen depletion in a half marathon, that performance in events longer than 90 min show noticeable differences when intaking carbs. Even more so with carb loading than in-race nutrition.

-If you take a single sourced carb (like Sports Beans), then the limit of consumption is 60g of carbs per hour.
-If you take a multi sourced carb (like GU Chocolate Outrage which contains both Maltodrextin and Fructose), then the limit of consumption is 90g of carbs per hour, or approximately 4 gels).
-If the race temps are above 90F, then limit yourself to 50g of carbs per hour.
*These are all maximums and you can certainly do less. I prefer to find my maximum tolerance, then find my minimum before the carbs become a reason for decreased performance.

-Almost all carb sources need 1 oz of water for every 2g carb consumed. So if you eat a single GU pack with 21 g carbs, then your body will need 10.5 oz of water minimally to be able to absorb it. Otherwise, your body will steal water from your muscles in order to digest. This commonly creates gut issues and feelings of dehydration.
-Maurten gels require no liquid intake.
-Maurten 320 is 4g carbs per 1 oz water unlike most all other sources at 2:1.

-Consider the possibility of electrolyte replacement as well. Some gels have a high content of sodium and potassium. Others do not. Some have one or the other.

-Timing wise I prefer to start right before the race begins and throughout the entire event. The closer you get to the end of the event, the harder you'll be working and the less ability you'll have to easily digest things you intake. So I recommend starting earlier than later, because it's easier to intake at the beginning.

My go to recommendation for a single use, easy to remember item, are Egels. https://www.cranksports.com/

They are multi sourced (Maltodrextin and Fructose) and they contain a higher content of sodium/potassium than most other products. The main drawback is their general size is 1.5x most other gels. So you get 150 calories or 37g carbs per packet whereas most others are 100 calories and 20ish g carbs. So the packet is larger. Since they are 37g a piece, I would recommend no more than 2 per hour. I would eat one within 15 min of starting, and then every 30-45 min after that. My breakthrough marathon in 2015 I consumed 7 gels in a 3:38hr event. Once inside 30 min of finishing, you don't really need anything. You can swish carbs from a liquid source and spit it out if desired, but your body won't absorb anything fast enough within 30 min for it to matter.

If you want a single liquid item to use, then I would go with Tailwind. It's cheap, has the ability to dilute/concentrate (although this does not change the need for 2:1 water to carbs), and contains a decent amount of sodium/potassium. If you want to use concentrated Tailwind, then my go to super concentrate is stored in this hammer nutrition bottle which is fairly small.

https://thefeed.com/products/hammer...TzQeEEug2i17GUwMD8n3TWWI7fquHlF0aAorNEALw_wcB
My advice is if you’re on a long run, start fueling before you think you need to. If you wait until you’re fatigued or hungry, it’s too late. I don’t know the exact biology behind it, but I think it has to do with the simple carbs, like sugar, that can be immediately used for muscle energy (glycogen?), so you want to keep up with that so your body doesn’t have to tap into its deeper energy storage. Like, um, triglycerides, I think? I'm not confident in my scientific knowledge, but I do know you want to start consuming fuels earlier than later during your long run or race.

I take my first gel after about 30 minutes or three-ish miles, and then every three to four miles after that. Some may say that’s too much, but it works for me.

Also, I start fueling when I hit 5- or 6-mile runs in a training cycle just to train my digestive system to handle fuel while running—especially if I'm trying a new type of fuel—so I’m not too far from my bathroom if things get ugly.

Also, mixing electrolyte sources might upset your digestive system —I.e. don’t wash your gel down with Gatorade. You do want to drink water with whatever solid/gel you are using though. (I see that was already mentioned above, but worth repeating!)

I personally think fueling is kind of fun to play around with—finding which gel flavors are best or trying jelly beans or Gu chews. Some people even use simple candy, like Starburst. So have fun with it and good luck!

I agree with this (below quote)!

I am working a DopeyBadger plan for an October marathon right now and my longest scheduled run is like 13 or 14 miles, which is about 2.5 hours for me. (For reference, my “easy” pace is in the low-ish 13s, and my “race pace” is supposed to be around 11:30.) If I had stuck to the Higdon plan I was going to use I would be running for almost 3.5 hours this coming Saturday, and science just doesn’t support doing training runs that are that long. Most of my “long runs” are also “practice nutrition” days so I try to make those days more “race-day”-like and do my run in the morning...eat what I would eat for breakfast if it were a race day, etc.
I'm also a not-so-fast runner. In fact, there are several of us planning to get together as team Not-So-Fast for the races in January - you're welcome to join us! One bit of advice @DopeyBadger gave me a few years ago was that running more than 3 hours is not beneficial in your training. So when you get to those long runs where the mileage would put you over that time, don't worry about the miles and just run 3 hours.

He also has great advice on fuel and puts nutrition practice into his plans, so I'm sure he'll be along shortly with spreadsheets. :D

Last edited:
This is something I haven't quite figured out but do want to stress the importance. I never needed to fuel for a half and ran my first marathon without a fueling plan. Long story short, it's a miracle that I finished and I didn't even consider running another for 5 more years.
Last time around, I was avoiding processed sugars and went with dried fruit. This worked okay, but if I never eat another apricot again it will be too soon. I also vaguely remember eating pretzels and twizzlers from strangers. Next time, I'll be sure to pack a few options so I don't have to rely on the kindness of strangers.
I also have texture sensitivity and can't eat bananas without gagging so I'll be curious what you find works for you.

You may want to consider a different training plan if you're worried about finding time to run 26 miles. The most important thing is to find a plan that you can commit to. Many of them only go up to 20 miles which I'm guessing would make it at least an hour less on that day. Some of the others will also have some speed days if you're interested in some faster pace runs.

My best advice is to stick to your training. Missing a run or two is okay, but if you miss a week or more, you'll pay the price on race day. You may still finish, it'll just be a lot more painful.

A lot of people complain about the crowd at Disney but I think it's one of the best parts. You'll never find yourself alone on the course. It's a lot of fun to encourage the other runners and feed off of one another's energy.
I agree with @GollyGadget that the two most important things are (i) picking a training plan and absolutely sticking to it (try not to miss even one run, if possible) and (ii) figuring out your fueling/hydration strategy, especially putting it all together during your long training runs.

There are quite a few gels out there, and many have different consistencies (and flavors), so you may want to buy one each of several to see if any will work for you. You can also try other options: beans, Honey Stinger Waffles, etc. I would recommend trying them while you're running as (i) things can taste/feel differently to you when you're running, and (ii) you want to make sure they are okay with your stomach while exercising. Also, take some water after eating them. This is most likely how you will want to do it on race day as well: as you are approaching the water stop, eat your gel/beans/waffles/etc ahead of time, such that you can wash it down immediately afterwards. For me, I found a gel brand or two that I liked, and what worked best for me during a race was alternating gel/water & sports drink at every other water stop: so, I would eat an e-Gel before the first water stop and then take the water, but at the next water stop, I would only drink whatever sports drink was offered (gatorade/poweraid).

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think about regular foods/snacks. Pretzels and Twizzlers are safe options! I'm going to start with the sports beans, but I'm open to other options as well. Thanks for the water/sports drink tip, I didn't think about that either. The last half I did in WDW I alternated between water and Powerade at each stop.

I know I can make the time for the long runs, I'm just slightly dreading the amount of hours that they will take. Last summer I started a @DopeyBadger 10K plan, but life got in the way and put me in a bad place, and I just never finished it (hanging my head in shame!). I'm in a much better place this year, and I made a commitment to myself this year to make more time for me, so I'm determined to do it. I considered restarting my 10K plan before starting a marathon plan, but due to the fact that I wanted to stick with 3 days/week (I don't want to set myself up to fail again), @DopeyBadger suggested I try the Galloway plan. I don't mind it at all, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of the increasing long runs.

EDIT TO ADD: My mind is spinning as I think about my current situation! Is it too late to consider changing my training plan? I’ve been following the beginner Galloway plan. If I were able to add a 4th day of running each week with a new plan, how would that impact the length of my long runs? I didn’t think I could originally, but after all the reading I did last night I feel like I’m selling myself short!

I'm super excited to get back to live runDisney races. I love all of it, even the ridiculously long expo lines! I've never been there for marathon weekend, so I'm looking forward to the new experience!

Thank you! I'm very shy so idk how good of a group runner I'd be, but I'll definitely consider it! Very interesting... I've learned a so much from him, and I still have so much more to learn about running! I'd definitely welcome any additional advice!

I’m also training for my first marathon and have asked an annoying amount of questions. 😂

I asked about specific fueling strategies in my training journal this spring and got these helpful comments:

I am working a DopeyBadger plan for an October marathon right now and my longest scheduled run is like 13 or 14 miles, which is about 2.5 hours for me. (For reference, my “easy” pace is in the low-ish 13s, and my “race pace” is supposed to be around 11:30.) If I had stuck to the Higdon plan I was going to use I would be running for almost 3.5 hours this coming Saturday, and science just doesn’t support doing training runs that are that long. Most of my “long runs” are also “practice nutrition” days so I try to make those days more “race-day”-like and do my run in the morning...eat what I would eat for breakfast if it were a race day, etc.
Thank you! That was a lot of great information as well. I'm going to search for your training journal, I haven't spent too much time in that section of the boards (besides updating my own!).

How many times per week are you running with your plan? I like the idea that the longest run is a lot shorter, I'm just afraid to commit to a plan and not be able to complete it.

Last edited:
My plan is linked somewhere in my training journal....probably page 5-ish?? I run 4-5 days per week, depending on the week since it’s not a one-week-at-a-go schedule iirc. I always have Wednesdays and Saturdays off, and every other Sunday because I have 4 kids with a lot of extra curriculars, half of which we coach (dh mainly and I usually handle the book-keeping/communications side of things) so I really needed one week night and one weekend day off to work around life.

This is going to sound weird, but it was a lifesaver for me during the 2019 marathon: sunscreen stick. Be comfortable getting it in/out of your pocket/bag and applying it to face/back of neck/arms/ ears while carrying your water bottle. I burn very easily, am turtle slow, and that stretch from AK to WWOS was full sun with blacktop reflection.

With fuel, as others have said, practice now with a variety of types. If you have a Dicks or REI near you they may have fuels types or flavors that your running store may not have. Having a variety to alternate with during the race will be beneficial, especially if you end up struggling with one type that day. I felt like a pack mule in 2019.

Aside from the great advice about picking a plan and sticking to it, the next key thing to be mindful of is nothing new on race day. Have your fueling and hydration strategy tested well in advance. Make sure your race day shoes have a few miles on them to be confident there are no odd seams to cause chafing or blisters. Be sure you’ve run in your race day kit at least a few times, including any costumes, hats, belts, etc. Whatever you’re wearing or doing in race day, you need to have worn or done it before.

Getting the science correct with gels and drinks is obviously important, but eating something you like and your stomach tolerates can also be important. I plan my gel/drink schedule pretty carefully, but I also keep a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my pocket for about mile 18 or 20. I'm sure it is not ideal from a nutritional standpoint, but it tastes great, sits well in my stomach, and gives me at least a mental boost when I need it. I also stopped at one of the food stands at HS (only about 10 yards off course) and bought a big sugary, caffeinated coke during the last Disney marathon. Of course, I also bought a beer from Germany.

I would never consume anything but gels and water during a HM, but I find I can almost eat anything during a marathon and need a bit of real food. I'm a slow runner and a pretty big guy, so I rationalize that I simply need the calories to keep going.

But try it on a long run first and keep repeating the mantra "Nothing new on race day..."

Last edited:
Oh I have so much to learn! Thank you so much to everyone for your tips so far! I’m so glad I asked, but I feel even less prepared than before… :rolleyes1

I’m not a fan of carrying things when I run. I don’t wear a belt, arm sleeve or hydration pack. If I have my phone I try to make sure I have a pocket to keep it in. It seems as though I might need to rethink this if I’m going for longer distances… I think I need a course in long distance running techniques lol.

The good thing about modern marathons are the sponsored fuel gels they distribute along the course.
If you can use what is given out during the race you can either just bring a couple packs to begin with or none at all.
In addition, I have found so many unopened packs along the race if I need them.
Hey, I ain't too proud when desperate!

Another consideration is the heat. I used to cramp up like crazy come mile 20.
I started using Saltstick electrolyte tablets, which contain Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, & Calcium.
These come in chewables, pill form, etc.
I believe they helped me immensely during hot runs.

A word of caution...don't drink ANY milk product prior to the race.
I only did that once!

It's great that you are preparing properly but don't worry, so many of us went into our first marathon oblivious as a newborn.
Sometimes, ignorance is indeed bliss!

A couple of things......With your first marathon, the goal should be to finish (I typed "with a smile on your face, but that may be asking a lot!) Anyway, I would only use your past performances as a guide to set training pace, and not as an expectation of performance (if that makes sense). A marathon is a tough beast, and you don't need any extraneous pressure to run it in a prescribed time.

As for fuel, experimentation now is good as far as form factor (i.e gels, liquid, solid), but regardless you should be aiming for a specific carb input, something like 30-60 g/hour (most likely on the lower end), which the @DopeyBadger comment touched on in more detail. And while it is great that courses provide limited on-course fuel options (diluted Powerade, maybe a gel stop), personally, I would never run a half or full counting on it. I consider it as backup, or for an extra boost, but it's too iffy to plan on (I volunteered one year at a Disney gel stop and we ran out!), and not necessarily spaced at where you may need to take it in.

A couple of things......With your first marathon, the goal should be to finish (I typed "with a smile on your face, but that may be asking a lot!) Anyway, I would only use your past performances as a guide to set training pace, and not as an expectation of performance (if that makes sense). A marathon is a tough beast, and you don't need any extraneous pressure to run it in a prescribed time.

You should have left that in. Finishing a marathon uninjured and with a smile is definitely something which should be a primary goal for a first marathon, and probably any marathon period. Pro tip: joining the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) is a great way to get the smile. I'm not sure we can do much for injury prevention. :)

As for fuel, experimentation now is good as far as form factor (i.e gels, liquid, solid), but regardless you should be aiming for a specific carb input, something like 30-60 g/hour (most likely on the lower end), which the @DopeyBadger comment touched on in more detail. And while it is great that courses provide limited on-course fuel options (diluted Powerade, maybe a gel stop), personally, I would never run a half or full counting on it. I consider it as backup, or for an extra boost, but it's too iffy to plan on (I volunteered one year at a Disney gel stop and we ran out!), and not necessarily spaced at where you may need to take it in.

This! While most races offer fueling stations along the way, they're often not where you need them to be for your own personal fueling plan and requirements. Given the extremely wide variety of options people choose to use for fueling - from gels to blocks to waffles to Tailwind and more - it's also highly unlikely that Disney will offer exactly what you want at their aid stations. They typically hand out Clif brand gels and sometimes blocks, but not all flavors or types are available. Being self sufficient and using the Disney-provided options as a backup makes more sense.

I can second not relying on the course for fuel when you need it. When I ran my half in May, they had gu available during packet pickup (I grabbed a few of the flavors I knew I liked for myself and for my SIL as I was picking up packets for 4 people) but on the course, they didn't have anything besides water/gatorade at any of the aid stations until MILE 10! That would have been waaaaay too late for me, especially considering it took me almost 3 hours to finish.

I do know that I've seen in some other running groups that people are sometimes able to find fuel options at Target of all places. So that might be an option for you to check out as well.

I did buy a vest in early spring because I was absolutely NOT carrying a water bottle while I ran, but I've been weaning myself off it the last couple of months....only taking it on runs longer than about 6 or 7 miles or when it's SUPER hot or I'm practicing my nutrition strategy. Before that I had a SPI belt to hold my phone, and I could easily jam a few gels, blocks, or waffles in there as well. They're about $15 on amazon if you aren't picky about color. I actually bought a 2nd one so that my oldest 2 boys could carry their phones when they do their runs for cross country running club this summer.

Last edited:
Just taking a quick glance through some of my previous posts:

Insights into training
Eureka! The Quintessential Running Post
Train slow to race fast: Why running more slowly and capping the long run at 2.5 hours may dramatically improve your performance
Why should your average training pace be much much slower than your goal half marathon pace?
Why am I doing this run? The question every runner should be asking themselves.
I only run 3 days a week and never as slow as marathon pace. How can I apply slowing down into my schedule and benefit? With only 3 days, I've gone with quality over quantity on my runs.
The Long Run Mindset: How to train at 16 miles but run a 26.2 mile race
Training in the cold, but racing in the heat: The need for heat acclimation
The Marathon is 99% Aerobic (and 95% for HM and so on): So how to train for it!

Insights into Pre-Race Carb loading and In-Race Nutrition Consumption
Glycogen Supercompensation (AKA Carb Loading)
What do you use for your running fuel? Carbs, yum, yum, yum! My scientific strategy!
The Non-Cancelled Marathon Strategy (contains my current pre-carb and in-race nutrition strategy)

Insights on training practices on performance
A New Race Predictor developed by Vickers: My analysis of the paper
Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

- Pacing: I'm using my easy/LR pace for training. I wonder if it would be helpful to work to increase my speed a little during one of the shorter weekday runs each week.

You are running the Galloway Beginner Marathon plan at the moment. So consult that training plan for advice on how to tackle the "maintenance" mid-week runs (as he calls them). This is what I'm seeing in the instructions:

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 8.48.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 8.49.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 8.49.10 AM.png

Ultimately, his plan is very LR dominated. So the LR takes dominance over everything else.

- Fuel/Nutrition: I have absolutely no experience, except I have tried Sport Beans from runDisney. I'll admit my first half marathon was the first time I tried any type of fuel. I know, nothing new on race day!:duck:I ate 1 bean from the pack and waited to see how I felt. I was good so I just held on to it and ate 1 as needed. I just recently bought a couple packs for future long training runs. I have some food texture issues (ex: I can't eat bananas), so I figured this was safer than a goo or gel...

The post @Herding_Cats quoted from me is recent and is a solid strategy. My advice is to try a bunch of different sources. Find what you like in training, and then try to find your maximal tolerable limit. If you find the most you can tolerate without getting sick, then you'll put yourself in a position where glycogen depletion can not be the reason for slowing down. More often than not, training from now until race day will have a much larger impact on your abilities than will the in-race nutrition. So the in-race nutrition (and carb loading) will not allow you to be any more than your best form from the training you did. Rather the nutrition aspect only ensures that on race day you can be your best that your training allows. If that makes sense.

The limits still stand though.

-If you take a single sourced carb (like Sports Beans), then the limit of consumption is 60g of carbs per hour.
-If you take a multi sourced carb (like GU Chocolate Outrage which contains both Maltodrextin and Fructose), then the limit of consumption is 90g of carbs per hour, or approximately 4 gels).
*These are all maximums and you can certainly do less. I prefer to find my maximum tolerance, then find my minimum before the carbs become a reason for decreased performance.

I personally have found I can tolerate 90-100g carb/hour with little issue. I believe I read Kipchoge was tolerating in the 100-110g range using Maurten.

EDIT TO ADD: My mind is spinning as I think about my current situation! Is it too late to consider changing my training plan? I’ve been following the beginner Galloway plan. If I were able to add a 4th day of running each week with a new plan, how would that impact the length of my long runs? I didn’t think I could originally, but after all the reading I did last night I feel like I’m selling myself short!

So the initial reason I suggested the Galloway plan was to stick with your desire of doing 3 days per week. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the 3x/day Galloway plan, but when it comes to 3 days per week there aren't many options. The more you run on the other days, the more it opens you up to running less on the long run day. It is my belief that around 150 min at traditional long run pacing there is a beginning of a risk/reward situation. The further you go the less benefits you see and the higher the risk in running it. This can be mitigated to some degree by slowing the pace even further. If you run/walk, the relationship is less clear. In the past, I've set that limit at around 180 min and have seen good results. But Daniels in his 3rd edition book makes mention of the possible run/walk risk/reward "cutoff" being in the 4-4.5 hr range. But from memory, he makes pretty clear he isn't quite sure where the line falls for that style of running. Preferably, I'd like to see something in the 5hr minimal range for the total week's duration in a marathon plan, and with the LR taking up no more than 35% of the weekly mileage (more ideal is 25-30%). So if someone peaked at 180 min, then to be 35% would be 8.6 hrs and 25% would be 12 hrs. I think unless you've done 6-8 hrs previously, then you shouldn't even be considering doing 12 hrs as that's a lot of training volume. But depending on what you've done in the past, something in the 5-8 hrs range as a peak could be reasonable. But all of this is predicated on having to do more than 3 days per week. If you stick with three days per week, then go with Galloway. You can consider dropping the max mileage of his plan down as a way to mitigate some risk. I know he's stated before that people who follow his plan out to the 23-26 mile mark do better than those who do less (again predicated on sticking with 3 days per week).

If you were to add a fourth day, then you could start to move the needle in terms of dropping that long run down. It is absolutely not too late to change plans. A traditional marathon plan is usually 16-18 weeks in length. Galloway's plans tend to be on the longer side due to the nature of them.

From memory, I've trained one person to finish a marathon at 9 miles max (120 min peak; 4.5hr week peak) which is the lowest I've ever done. I've worked with her before and so she had a history of running to support this extremely low volume plan to cross the finish line. I think I've had a handful in the 10-13 mile max range as well. Ultimately it comes down to balancing what you can absolutely commit to. Because a 4 day a week plan that is down at 4 days some week and 3 days some weeks, is no longer a 4 days a week plan. So be honest with yourself and what you can commit to. Ultimately that will be the best plan for you.

I’m not a fan of carrying things when I run. I don’t wear a belt, arm sleeve or hydration pack. If I have my phone I try to make sure I have a pocket to keep it in. It seems as though I might need to rethink this if I’m going for longer distances… I think I need a course in long distance running techniques lol.

Have you considered shorts with multiple pockets. I'm quite found of these (link) and women's similar not same (link). They have one back pocket (I think it is zippered), and two drop-in style side pockets that are nice and deep. I've been able to carry two 5 oz bottles (quite small but concentrated liquids) and 5 gels. I like them because the pockets are tight to my leg and thus I get little movement from all the items I'm carrying. I tried these out (link) but the mesh pockets around the waist didn't hit me in the right places. But these are like having a tight running belt built into your running shorts.

Any training advice, race advice (WDW or otherwise), recovery advice, etc.

I really like my Zensah compression calf sleeves for recovery.

Any good books?

Here are some of my favorite scientifically based resources:

Hansons - Principles of pacing, training plan design, during marathon carbohydrate calculations (Hansons Marathon Method)
Stephen Seiler - Principles of balance in training plans (80% Easy and 20% Hard) (Seiler; and Fitzgerald - 80/20 Running)
Jack Daniels - Principles of maximum duration training per session, 5K training (Daniels Running Formula)
Arthur Lydiard - Principles of Specialization
Steve Magness - Principles of Adaptation and Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Science of Running)
Jeff Gaudette - Running technique (foot strike, breathing, shoulders, arms, eyesight), Principles of Aerobic and Anaerobic running and why warm-ups are important (runnersconnect.net; podcast)
Samuele Marcora - Psychobiological Model (motivation and perception of effort) (Countless scientific articles; or Fitzgerald - How Bad do you want it?)
Benjamin Rapoport - During marathon carbohydrate calculations (Rapoport)
Timothy Fairchild - Western Australian carbohydrate loading procedure for pre-running carb loading (Fairchild)
Hadd - Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Hadd's Approach to Distance Running)
Pete Magill - 5K training (Runners World)

Hansons Marathon Method - Luke Humphrey (very informative)
Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger (good resource)
Daniel's Running Formula - Jack Daniels (favorite book)
Science of Running - Steve Magness (extremely dense and difficult to read at some times)
Racing Weight Cookbook - Matt Fitzgerald (amazing recipes)
Performance Nutrition for Runners - Matt Fitzgerald (meh, didn't really learn anything)

Marieb, E.N. The reproductive system. In: Human Anatomy and Physiology, E.N. Marieb. Menlo Park, CA: Benjamin/Cummings Science Publishing, 1998, pp. 1056- 1061.

Hawley JA, Schabort EJ, Noakes TD, Dennis SC. Carbohydrate-loading and exercise performance. An update. Sports Med. 1997 Aug;24(2):73-81. Review. PubMed PMID: 9291549.

James AP, Lorraine M, Cullen D, Goodman C, Dawson B, Palmer TN, Fournier PA. Muscle glycogen supercompensation: absence of a gender-related difference. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Oct;85(6):533-8. PubMed PMID: 11718281.

Tarnopolsky MA, Zawada C, Richmond LB, Carter S, Shearer J, Graham T, Phillips SM. Gender differences in carbohydrate loading are related to energy intake. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001 Jul;91(1):225-30. PubMed PMID: 11408434.

Sedlock DA. The latest on carbohydrate loading: a practical approach. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008 Jul-Aug;7(4):209-13. doi: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef9cb. PubMed PMID: 18607222.

Goforth HW Jr, Laurent D, Prusaczyk WK, Schneider KE, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. Effects of depletion exercise and light training on muscle glycogen supercompensation in men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Dec;285(6):E1304-11. Epub 2003 Aug 5. PubMed PMID: 12902321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2995524.

Fairchild TJ, Fletcher S, Steele P, Goodman C, Dawson B, Fournier PA. Rapid carbohydrate loading after a short bout of near maximal-intensity exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jun;34(6):980-6. PubMed PMID: 12048325.

Bussau VA, Fairchild TJ, Rao A, Steele P, Fournier PA. Carbohydrate loading in human muscle: an improved 1 day protocol. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;87(3):290-5. Epub 2002 May 28. PubMed PMID: 12111292.

Tarnopolsky, M.A., S.A. Atkinson, S.M. Phillips, and J.D. MacDougall. Carbohydrate loading and metabolism during exercise in men and women. J. Appl. Physiol. 78:1360Y1368, 1995.

Walker, J.L., J.F. Heigenhauser, E. Hultman, and L.L. Spriet. Dietary carbohydrate, muscle glycogen content, and endurance performance in well-trained women. J. Appl. Physiol. 88:2151Y2158, 2000.

Andrews, J.L., D.A. Sedlock, M.G. Flynn, et al. Carbohydrate loading and supplementation in endurance-trained women runners. J. Appl. Physiol. 95:584Y590, 2003.

Nicklas, B.J., A.C. Hackney, and R.L. Sharp. The menstrual cycle and exercise: performance, muscle glycogen, and substrate response. Int. J. Sports Med. 10:264Y269, 1989.

McLay, R.T., C.D. Thomson, S.M. Williams, and N.J. Rehrer. Carbohydrate loading and female endurance athletes: effect of
menstrual-cycle phase. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 17:189Y205, 2007.

Paul, D.R., S.M. Mulroy, J.A. Horner, et al. Carbohydrate-loading during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle: effects on muscle glycogen and exercise performance. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 11:430Y441, 2001.

Rapoport BI. Metabolic factors limiting performance in marathon runners. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010 Oct 21;6(10):e1000960. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000960. PubMed PMID: 20975938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2958805.

Humphrey, L. [Hanson's Coaching Services]. (2013, Nov 23). Calculating Caloric Needs for Marathon- Updated 11/22/2013 . [Video File].

Jentjens RLPG, Wagenmakers AJM, Jeukendrup AE: Heat stress increases muscle glycogen use but reduces theoxidation of ingested carbohydrates during exercise. J Appl Physiol 2002, 92:1562–1572.

Fuel
This is what I do for fueling - everyone is different, so you just need to find what works fit you in these months leading up to true race. I like Gu chews (or really any other gummy). I eat two every half hour. I think the pack may say to eat 3 or 4 per hour?? And gels typically say to eat one every 45 minutes to an hour. I find that that is too much at one time for me, so I spread it out over the hour with 2 every half hour. I also take a Salt Cap (capsule) or Endurolyte Extreme - one every hour. Its easy to keep track of because when I look at my watch, if it says X:30 - it’s just chews, when it says X:00 - it’s chews and salt cap. If it’s extra hot, I may add a little Gatorade/Powerade at aid stations, but I still am drinking mainly water to help digest the chews.

ETA: I’ve also rotated my Chews with Peanut Butter Pretzels every half hour. I eventually found that at the end of marathons it was hard for me to eat them because they were so dry they just didn’t sound good and I couldn’t convince myself to eat them.

Carrying Stuff
I do use an OrangeMud HydraQuiver to carry one bottle of water (I like to make sure I have water when I need/want it vs. when the race actually had it), and to carry my fuel. But my Skirt/shorts have large pockets and that is where I store my phone and chapstick. Maybe you can get some shorts that have large pockets to hold fuel instead of strapping something else on that you really don’t want to??

Mileage
26 miles is a lot of miles for a training run, but each plan has its purpose, and if you are following the pacing strategies for it, you should be fine. It’s hard to think about running 26 miles when you are starting a training plan. One thing I try and tell people when they are thinking about training for a marathon or half marathon, is that each week the training plan gradually adds miles (usually no more than 1-2 miles more for each long run). By they time you get to your longest run, it will be easier to believe that you can do it because it is ‘only’ 1 or 2 miles more than last week. The time commitment for that run will be long, but you can do it!

Just taking a quick glance through some of my previous posts:

Insights into training
Eureka! The Quintessential Running Post
Train slow to race fast: Why running more slowly and capping the long run at 2.5 hours may dramatically improve your performance
Why should your average training pace be much much slower than your goal half marathon pace?
Why am I doing this run? The question every runner should be asking themselves.
I only run 3 days a week and never as slow as marathon pace. How can I apply slowing down into my schedule and benefit? With only 3 days, I've gone with quality over quantity on my runs.
The Long Run Mindset: How to train at 16 miles but run a 26.2 mile race
Training in the cold, but racing in the heat: The need for heat acclimation
The Marathon is 99% Aerobic (and 95% for HM and so on): So how to train for it!

Insights into Pre-Race Carb loading and In-Race Nutrition Consumption
Glycogen Supercompensation (AKA Carb Loading)
What do you use for your running fuel? Carbs, yum, yum, yum! My scientific strategy!
The Non-Cancelled Marathon Strategy (contains my current pre-carb and in-race nutrition strategy)

Insights on training practices on performance
A New Race Predictor developed by Vickers: My analysis of the paper
Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

You are running the Galloway Beginner Marathon plan at the moment. So consult that training plan for advice on how to tackle the "maintenance" mid-week runs (as he calls them). This is what I'm seeing in the instructions:

View attachment 593945

View attachment 593946

View attachment 593947

Ultimately, his plan is very LR dominated. So the LR takes dominance over everything else.

The post @Herding_Cats quoted from me is recent and is a solid strategy. My advice is to try a bunch of different sources. Find what you like in training, and then try to find your maximal tolerable limit. If you find the most you can tolerate without getting sick, then you'll put yourself in a position where glycogen depletion can not be the reason for slowing down. More often than not, training from now until race day will have a much larger impact on your abilities than will the in-race nutrition. So the in-race nutrition (and carb loading) will not allow you to be any more than your best form from the training you did. Rather the nutrition aspect only ensures that on race day you can be your best that your training allows. If that makes sense.

The limits still stand though.

I personally have found I can tolerate 90-100g carb/hour with little issue. I believe I read Kipchoge was tolerating in the 100-110g range using Maurten.

So the initial reason I suggested the Galloway plan was to stick with your desire of doing 3 days per week. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the 3x/day Galloway plan, but when it comes to 3 days per week there aren't many options. The more you run on the other days, the more it opens you up to running less on the long run day. It is my belief that around 150 min at traditional long run pacing there is a beginning of a risk/reward situation. The further you go the less benefits you see and the higher the risk in running it. This can be mitigated to some degree by slowing the pace even further. If you run/walk, the relationship is less clear. In the past, I've set that limit at around 180 min and have seen good results. But Daniels in his 3rd edition book makes mention of the possible run/walk risk/reward "cutoff" being in the 4-4.5 hr range. But from memory, he makes pretty clear he isn't quite sure where the line falls for that style of running. Preferably, I'd like to see something in the 5hr minimal range for the total week's duration in a marathon plan, and with the LR taking up no more than 35% of the weekly mileage (more ideal is 25-30%). So if someone peaked at 180 min, then to be 35% would be 8.6 hrs and 25% would be 12 hrs. I think unless you've done 6-8 hrs previously, then you shouldn't even be considering doing 12 hrs as that's a lot of training volume. But depending on what you've done in the past, something in the 5-8 hrs range as a peak could be reasonable. But all of this is predicated on having to do more than 3 days per week. If you stick with three days per week, then go with Galloway. You can consider dropping the max mileage of his plan down as a way to mitigate some risk. I know he's stated before that people who follow his plan out to the 23-26 mile mark do better than those who do less (again predicated on sticking with 3 days per week).

If you were to add a fourth day, then you could start to move the needle in terms of dropping that long run down. It is absolutely not too late to change plans. A traditional marathon plan is usually 16-18 weeks in length. Galloway's plans tend to be on the longer side due to the nature of them.

From memory, I've trained one person to finish a marathon at 9 miles max (120 min peak; 4.5hr week peak) which is the lowest I've ever done. I've worked with her before and so she had a history of running to support this extremely low volume plan to cross the finish line. I think I've had a handful in the 10-13 mile max range as well. Ultimately it comes down to balancing what you can absolutely commit to. Because a 4 day a week plan that is down at 4 days some week and 3 days some weeks, is no longer a 4 days a week plan. So be honest with yourself and what you can commit to. Ultimately that will be the best plan for you.

Have you considered shorts with multiple pockets. I'm quite found of these (link) and women's similar not same (link). They have one back pocket (I think it is zippered), and two drop-in style side pockets that are nice and deep. I've been able to carry two 5 oz bottles (quite small but concentrated liquids) and 5 gels. I like them because the pockets are tight to my leg and thus I get little movement from all the items I'm carrying. I tried these out (link) but the mesh pockets around the waist didn't hit me in the right places. But these are like having a tight running belt built into your running shorts.

I really like my Zensah compression calf sleeves for recovery.

Here are some of my favorite scientifically based resources:

Hansons - Principles of pacing, training plan design, during marathon carbohydrate calculations (Hansons Marathon Method)
Stephen Seiler - Principles of balance in training plans (80% Easy and 20% Hard) (Seiler; and Fitzgerald - 80/20 Running)
Jack Daniels - Principles of maximum duration training per session, 5K training (Daniels Running Formula)
Arthur Lydiard - Principles of Specialization
Steve Magness - Principles of Adaptation and Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Science of Running)
Jeff Gaudette - Running technique (foot strike, breathing, shoulders, arms, eyesight), Principles of Aerobic and Anaerobic running and why warm-ups are important (runnersconnect.net; podcast)
Samuele Marcora - Psychobiological Model (motivation and perception of effort) (Countless scientific articles; or Fitzgerald - How Bad do you want it?)
Benjamin Rapoport - During marathon carbohydrate calculations (Rapoport)
Timothy Fairchild - Western Australian carbohydrate loading procedure for pre-running carb loading (Fairchild)
Hadd - Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Hadd's Approach to Distance Running)
Pete Magill - 5K training (Runners World)

Hansons Marathon Method - Luke Humphrey (very informative)
Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger (good resource)
Daniel's Running Formula - Jack Daniels (favorite book)
Science of Running - Steve Magness (extremely dense and difficult to read at some times)
Racing Weight Cookbook - Matt Fitzgerald (amazing recipes)
Performance Nutrition for Runners - Matt Fitzgerald (meh, didn't really learn anything)

Marieb, E.N. The reproductive system. In: Human Anatomy and Physiology, E.N. Marieb. Menlo Park, CA: Benjamin/Cummings Science Publishing, 1998, pp. 1056- 1061.

Hawley JA, Schabort EJ, Noakes TD, Dennis SC. Carbohydrate-loading and exercise performance. An update. Sports Med. 1997 Aug;24(2):73-81. Review. PubMed PMID: 9291549.

James AP, Lorraine M, Cullen D, Goodman C, Dawson B, Palmer TN, Fournier PA. Muscle glycogen supercompensation: absence of a gender-related difference. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Oct;85(6):533-8. PubMed PMID: 11718281.

Tarnopolsky MA, Zawada C, Richmond LB, Carter S, Shearer J, Graham T, Phillips SM. Gender differences in carbohydrate loading are related to energy intake. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001 Jul;91(1):225-30. PubMed PMID: 11408434.

Sedlock DA. The latest on carbohydrate loading: a practical approach. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008 Jul-Aug;7(4):209-13. doi: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef9cb. PubMed PMID: 18607222.

Goforth HW Jr, Laurent D, Prusaczyk WK, Schneider KE, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. Effects of depletion exercise and light training on muscle glycogen supercompensation in men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Dec;285(6):E1304-11. Epub 2003 Aug 5. PubMed PMID: 12902321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2995524.

Fairchild TJ, Fletcher S, Steele P, Goodman C, Dawson B, Fournier PA. Rapid carbohydrate loading after a short bout of near maximal-intensity exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jun;34(6):980-6. PubMed PMID: 12048325.

Bussau VA, Fairchild TJ, Rao A, Steele P, Fournier PA. Carbohydrate loading in human muscle: an improved 1 day protocol. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;87(3):290-5. Epub 2002 May 28. PubMed PMID: 12111292.

Tarnopolsky, M.A., S.A. Atkinson, S.M. Phillips, and J.D. MacDougall. Carbohydrate loading and metabolism during exercise in men and women. J. Appl. Physiol. 78:1360Y1368, 1995.

Walker, J.L., J.F. Heigenhauser, E. Hultman, and L.L. Spriet. Dietary carbohydrate, muscle glycogen content, and endurance performance in well-trained women. J. Appl. Physiol. 88:2151Y2158, 2000.

Andrews, J.L., D.A. Sedlock, M.G. Flynn, et al. Carbohydrate loading and supplementation in endurance-trained women runners. J. Appl. Physiol. 95:584Y590, 2003.

Nicklas, B.J., A.C. Hackney, and R.L. Sharp. The menstrual cycle and exercise: performance, muscle glycogen, and substrate response. Int. J. Sports Med. 10:264Y269, 1989.

McLay, R.T., C.D. Thomson, S.M. Williams, and N.J. Rehrer. Carbohydrate loading and female endurance athletes: effect of
menstrual-cycle phase. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 17:189Y205, 2007.

Paul, D.R., S.M. Mulroy, J.A. Horner, et al. Carbohydrate-loading during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle: effects on muscle glycogen and exercise performance. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 11:430Y441, 2001.

Rapoport BI. Metabolic factors limiting performance in marathon runners. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010 Oct 21;6(10):e1000960. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000960. PubMed PMID: 20975938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2958805.

Humphrey, L. [Hanson's Coaching Services]. (2013, Nov 23). Calculating Caloric Needs for Marathon- Updated 11/22/2013 . [Video File].

Jentjens RLPG, Wagenmakers AJM, Jeukendrup AE: Heat stress increases muscle glycogen use but reduces theoxidation of ingested carbohydrates during exercise. J Appl Physiol 2002, 92:1562–1572.
Thank you for all of this! I'm looking forward to reading through your posts, and checking out some of the resources you've shared. I clearly have a lot to learn, but after the year + we've all had, I really want this and I'm interested in learning as much as I can to do the best that I can.

I appreciate your sincere honesty. When we first discussed training, I was hesitant to commit to over 3 days because of what I let happen last summer. It's been a lesson to me that we're all human, life happens, but we have to pick ourselves up and move on! After reading @Herding_Cats 's training journal last night, I started to think about what I could realistically commit to. I'm most motivated and have the most time in the summer. I'm running 3 days now with Galloway and honestly wanting to do more because I have the time. I've been going on walks and/or doing strength or cycling classes on the off days. The fall is a different story, but I cut back A LOT with certain commitments already, knowing that I wanted to train for the marathon in January. I just got my first schedule and it's very reasonable. So why couldn't I replace that time with running? Looking ahead to the fall (when I'm usually the busiest), I was originally looking at sticking with Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (Thursdays being a little difficult but I can make it work) for Galloway. However, I now have Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays with no current weekly commitments. Wednesdays or Thursdays could work (Wednesdays would be ideal over Thursdays), and Fridays might work but I might have commitments every other Friday (schedule TBD). So honestly, I could (and should) really do 4 or 5 days a week. And looking forward, I think I'd rather put more time in regularly during the week as opposed to doing such long runs regularly in the winter...

The Galloway plan is pretty simple to follow, but I like more specifics, and I'm starting to feel it grow a little stagnant in the short time I'm using it. I know it's still early but I feel like the goal is to reach the marathon distance, and I'd like to see more than that as a result of my training. My goal is to run a marathon, but along the way I'd like to make improvements in other areas while increasing my distance.

I'm in the process of searching for good leggings for running (especially since fall and winter are on their way), so I'll check out the links you shared and start putting a little more focus on pockets! I know myself, having additional items on me will bother me, so having more pockets could help with the nutrition aspect. I'll still have to assess the hydration stops.

So much to learn, and so many notes to take! Thanks again to each of you for all of your tips and support. I'm taking it all in! :disrocks:

I've toyed around with a few different fuel options since my first half, starting with jelly beans, which I liked. Had mixed results with gels, some of them leave a pretty bad aftertaste IMO. For my first marathon in Chicago, they were giving out Gatorade gummies at some of the hydration stations and they really worked out well for me, they taste enough like the actual Gatorade flavors and without a bad aftertaste, so I'll likely be stocking up on those as I start training for January.

You have received tons of great advice. I'll add two things that have not been mentioned:

First: This may not be an issue with you, but be careful not to over train. For my first marathon - Goofy in 2019, I did two things I do not recommend. First, I did a dry run of the entire training plan over the summer because I wanted to prove to myself I could do all the training. And second, I substituted many of the shorter runs for longer runs because I had in my head that if I am going to go through the effort to change, get out, run, sweat, return, shower, change again, etc., I wanted to make it was worth my while. So I would turn a planned 3 mile run into 6 or 7 miles. By the time I got to race day, I was a bit burned out. So advice: Follow the plan as it is written.

Second: I kinda think about running a marathon, especially a Disney marathon as taking a long car trip. It reminds me of the long drive from CT to FL - not the return trip back to CT, only the trip down where there is excitement about arriving at your destination. Think about how similar it is with the scenery along the way, the landmarks you pass through, attractions, pit stops, food breaks. It is a long trip but as long as you keep moving, you will get there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter