Walt Warriors

John and Amanda - Thanks.

The race pictures are back for the race. You can see them here. In the ones at the finish line, the lady next to me looks she's just finished a nice Saturday jog, and I look like I just went through the wringer.

Hey everyone. Sorry I’ve been away for a bit. Had an absolutely wonderful holiday in WDW and our friend’s wedding at the pavillion was stunning. She was the prettiest bride ever!!!! As always coming home hit me with a bump and I had a heap of stuff to catch up on whilst pining for my own florida villa :cloud9:

Soooo catch up time!

Cari- it’s wonderful news that your children’s school values running and fitness. How cool to be running a 5k with them at such a young age! :cool1:I agree with John- slow and steady build up. It is annoying how quickly you lose running fitness isn’t it!

Jeremy- Sorry the weather did not co-operate. On a positive note, you PB’d in those conditions! :woohoo:Awesome time still for a half marathon and hope you still feel super proud of yourself.

Amanda- Hope you’re doing OK too. :goodvibes

Jim- you’ve been brilliant at getting those crazy training schedules ticked off. :banana:

Me- I had a brilliant physio session today where I felt really pleased by how much better my thigh is. I have clearance to step up the training intensity and see how I manage with speed work (not both at once though obviously!). My foot has probably benefitted from the extended break and I’m still hoping to run, but not race, a 10k in London with hubby on the 27th May. Whoooooo.

Very impressed with all of you guys, you are my inspiration when I want to slack. It really is so much easier to get out and run when you’re staying at Disney! :wizard:

Wonderful pics Jeremy! Thanks for sharing!!!
Kate - Glad you had a wonderful holiday! I thought of you because I've been talking to my brother (who lives in London) about bringing the kids across the Pond for a visit. Maybe next summer....

I'm back in training as best I can. I have a 10k on June 9th. It'll be my first race at a distance less than a 1/2 marathon! :scared1: Crazy, right? I'm really trying to be more consistent with my training. I've been thinking about moving one of my mid-week runs to the early morning so my work schedule doesn't mess up my running schedule as much (I usually miss mid-week runs when my work day runs later than expected so moving at least one run to the morning should help). The problem is that I leave for work at 6:30am at least 3-4 days a week and by about 7:15-7:30am the other days. I need to get used to some early mornings!!!! :eek:
I'd love opinions for the folks here. I'm considering signing up for Jeff Galloway E-coaching. There is no Galloway program convenient to me and I find that his training plans work for me. I think I could use some "professional" advice about my running as well as the extra motivation that comes from laying out cash. (And you get feedback from him on your training which is motivating, too!) The cost for 6 months of E-coaching is about $300 - not cheap at all. I was thinking of using it to help me train for the Goofy. My marathon in January was not ideal (not terrible but I didn't finish strong and I would like to) and I feel I could be faster and stronger with some help. Any thoughts?

Amanda

Hi all

Kate- good to hear everything is going better for you.

Amanda - I've heard mixed results from people who have used Jeff's e-coaching. The one person mentioned that for the long run he was a big proponent of the short run/walk intervals like :30/:30, :20/:40 specially at the beginning of training.

Me- This weeks running went fairly well. I went out very easily on Monday, Wednesday, I was starting to test out my 5K ratios, then Friday came. I was planning on going out at a fairly easy pace for 5 miles. About half way through I looked down at my pace and I was going slower than my half marathon and I was starting for feel fatigued. I had one of those I can't believe what I just did last weekend feeling. I may need to take another fairly easy week of recovery before getting back to normal training.

Sorry you had a rough day on Friday.
Interesting about Galloway and run/walk intervals. I was trying to work on increasing my run portion but maybe that's the wrong thing.

I did an ok run on Monday and then cadence drills on Thursday. And now I have a terrible sinus infection and feel cruddy so I took the weekend off.

Happy Mother's Day!

Amanda

Happy Monday Warriors!!

Hope you are all doing well!

Jeremy - Very Nice accomplishment on your Half Marathon! :)

I was on a cruise last week, so my training was extremely spotty. I was able to do a 50 minute + open ocean swim, which went well. Most of my swim training has been in a pool, so this was a good dress rehearsal. Hopefully that's longer than I will actually swim..............

I spent a lot of time on exercise bikes (which I refer to as "spinning machines of boring death"), but not for more than an hour at a sitting. Time passes so frickin' SLOWLY for me on those things. I just do not have the patience to go longer than that.

NO running at all due to an extremely bad flare-up of my back (to the point where I was almost not able to walk. Bleh.).

BUT, an interesting thing happened last week ---> I discovered (in an act of sheer desperation. Literally) acupuncture. Now, I have to be very honest: I am not a big proponent of what I refer to as "VooDoo Medicine (Not to be offensive to anyone.). I have been raised and conditioned to put all my faith and trust in "Western Medicine". But after just a few traetments of having my back and legs stuck full of tiny needles (ok, not FULL, but around 15-20), I was virtually pain free and have not taken any meds for my back in 5 days. Go figure. So now I have to find a local person to go to. I was skeptical, but (in this case) color me convinced.

So. 6 days until my Tri. Getting ready to step out for a short ride (about an hour) + a few miles afterwards. Wish me luck (and no trips to intensive care :P)!

Amanda - I used the Galloway Plan for my really long runs. My Marathon PR was set running 3:45 and walking for 1:00 for 26 miles. Worked well. Mr Galloway says the key is to do it from the very start, not a few miles into it. Sometimes I have run 2-3 miles at the start due to the traffic issues, but it still seems to do ok. Good Luck!

Amanda - I too have been working on increasing my run interval. Including doing some short runs straight through. I more think, since Jeff doesn't meet you personally, he tends to take a more conservative approach especially in the beginning.

Jim - Glad to hear a accupuncture worked for you.

Jim - Glad your back is feeling better! As a practitioner of Western medicine, I'm sometimes a little skeptic of alternative medicine. I have tried acupuncture myself and think it's awesome! Especially for something like back pain.
Good luck on your tri!
Jeremy - I have very mixed feelings about increasing my run intervals right now. I sometimes feel that I struggle when I try to run longer intervals and then I wonder what my motivation for increasing the interval is. Does that make sense?

I'm still sick so I haven't run in a week. I have a 10K on June 9th so I'd like to get back out there ASAP but I don't want to get more sick. I'm super congested and still coughing. :(
In sad news we said goodbye to our beloved 11 year old black lab on Monday. She had cancer surgery in October and was doing very well until about 6 weeks ago when she deteriorated quickly. It's very quiet without her.

Amanda

Amanda- so sorry for your loss :worried:

Please don't rush back into training if you still are not recovered. More harm than good can result, as we are all aware of this.

Oh Amanda, so sorry about your dog. I hope you and your family are doing OK, it's such a big loss. Take care of yourself too before your run ::yes::

Jim glad accupuncture worked so well for your back. I found it really helpful in the past and can't say I ever expected it to, so I'm sort of ruling out placebo (against a whole load of evidence!). Your training's been great, I have a good feeling. Hope you made some time for fun on your cruise too!

jeremy I think every one of us has had one of your friday. Sometimes there's no reason, sometimes you're tired and don't realise or haven't quite drunk enough (water not alcohol!). I would say don't think about it too much and set out on a relaxed no pressure run next time to just enjoy it again :thumbsup2

I ran to university today! Wasn't quite in the plan, but with ridiculous road closures and works it was just easier to travel 2.5miles there and back. I only had to submit work and have a drink with fellow students so it was fine. Took it easy ish on the way out so I wasn't too gross when I got there :rotfl2: Have to say my pace management is rubbish. I genuinely can't tell my speed without garmy. Sometimes I think I'm flying (i'm not), others I feel crawly slow but I'm really pacey! Very poor!!!

Amanda - Sorry to hear about losing your dog. I understand your thoughts about increasing your ratio. At times, I feel the same way. As far as why I do it, first, it's more for long term developement. So for me, it starts with being something I did only occationally then over time, it becomes something I do all the time. For example, when I first started I did run 1 minute/walk 4 minutes. Now, I almost always do at least run 1/walk 1, and had the weather cooperated I was going to do 1:30/1:00 in my last half. Secondly, it's more efficient for shorter races. Jeff Galloway has a completely different set of recommended ratios for 5K's compared to long run and half marathons. For example, to do a 12:00 mile in a half marathon he recommends 2:00/1:00, to race a 5K he recommends 4:00/:30.

Kate - Glad you were able to fit a run in where you could.

Me - Monday's run went well again. Went out and did 3 miles straight. Today started out OK, but I ended up getting some dust or something caught in my throat. I had brought any water with me and I couldn't get it cleared out well enough. Ended up walking most of the return trip. Whenever I tried running I started out cough.

Kate: I'm with you on the clueless pacing. I'm way too dependent on my Garmin to tell me how fast I'm going! If I'm doing walk intervals, it's even worse. So jealous about your recent WDW trip, btw. ;) I've seen a few pictures pop up on Facebook (I swear I'm not stalking your bride friend! lol) and it looks like you had a great time!

Amanda: So sorry to hear about the loss of your Lab. It's always so hard to lose a pet, even when it's not entirely unexpected. :( I keep lecturing my two Shepherds about how they're never allowed to die...

Jim: We have another +1 on acupuncture in my family. My mom is an RN and was very skeptical about it.... but finally tried it for arthritis in her shoulder. She has been pain med free for several years now, because of the acupuncture. Hope it continues to work for you!

Jeremy: Congrats on the half! LOVE the finish line photos! :rotfl: I don't know how they manage to get those photos of us.... I have so many race photos where I look like I'm DYING and yet I have no knowledge of when they were taken at all.

AFM.... still no running news.... except for the brief sprints as I chase my two year old as he makes a mad dash for the playground down the street every time we try to leave the house. ;) We're finally moved into our new house in Toronto, and it's been lovely. It's in a great family neighbourhood and Callum has been loving having so many other kids around to play with - our next door neighbours have THREE toddler boys (twin 3 year olds and a another one 18 months younger :scared1:) so I can already see how this summer is going to go with the four of them running around causing chaos. :rotfl2: Now I'm just waiting for this baby to show up.... My due date is next week, so I'm hoping that it's sooner rather than later!!!

Still aiming for the Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon in October as my first real race of the year. We got the treadmill all set up in the basement this morning, so I'm all ready to start training!

Sarah-hoping for an easy delivery for you and your princess: but not sure which you are looking forward to more....the delivery or getting back on the treadmill :rotfl:

Happy Thursday Warriors!!!

Amanda - So Sorry for the loss of your doggie. We always find it stressful when that happens to us, especially when it is one of our slobbering furbag Goldens. Just remember the fun times you had together. If you are having "motivational" issues of your interval times, try reducing the amount you are increasing them. Sometimes when my desire for running is in the gutter, I'll just make a very small change. Sometimes as little as a 5 second increase. After a while I'll build on that just a bit more. Remember, the Great Wall was built 1 brick at a time.......

Kate - I am also a "pacing moron", especially at the later stages of long runs. I'll think I am just flyin' like Superman and when I check the pace it'll be like "Wha...................... happened to my Super Run?? This can't POSSIBLY be my pace! This blows, I'm mad, and I'm going home to have a drink! So THERE!!" That's why I check my pace continually. Otherwise i get lazy and just naturally drift into a slower pace.

Sarah - Best of wishes for your upcoming Bambina/o !!

AFM - 3 days to go. Yesterday sucked! I had one of my elbow supports on my aero bars break, so I had to go driving all over town to find replacements. OUCH on the price!! I'm all for supporting my LBS, but their prices?? Yikes!!. THEN, I realized (after I got home from the aero bar expedition) that my emergency flat fixing kit fell off my bike sometime on my morning ride, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I had to go BACK out to replace all of that stuff. The one SURE way to guarantee a flat is to have no way to fix one. But it's all replaced, so I'm guaranteed a flat-free race (hopefully).

Leaving this afternoon to head south. Staying at Saratoga Springs for the weekend. It's within 1/2 hour drive of the Tri site.

Big News!! After weeks of being trapped by the most anal-retentive, unreasonable, pain in the *** mortgage company in the Solar System, we FINALLY completed the purchase of our new (as opposed to our old (now sold)) retirement home in Celebration! A bit of work needs to be done on it, which we are trying to complete long-distance in the next coupla' months, and then MAYBE the stress level in our lives can actually decrease some........

Maybe. :rolleyes1

Ok. Gone on Waaaaaay too long. Ya'll stay safe and have a GREAT weekend!!

Jim, have a great race!!!!! :thumbsup2

Report on TV mentioned that Haines City has the 70.3 for the next 4 years. I will be ready for next year.

Happy really tiring Sunday Warriors!!!

I did my first 1/2 Ironman Tri in Haines City, Florida this morning. It was quite an experience. I had my plan, but had some minor execution problems. BUT, I did beat my " double secret" planned time. Not by what I wanted to, but still.........

1. It was an early 4 am wake up with a 25 mile drive to the site ( stayed at Saratoga Springs ). All of the preliminary mumbo jumbo went ok. I started in wave 7 @ 6:55. The first few minutes of the swim was pretty stressful, mostly due to not having the opportunity to warmup beforehand. I find it difficult to go from zero to sixty in a race. My plan was to be on the road 1 hour after the swim start and I pulled off a 1:02. I thought the swim venue was a bit lacking, due mostly to the low water level in the lake. More of a pond than a lake. Advertised a "clear", but it was anything but. I literally could not see my hands in the water. Hopefully it'll be better next year.

2. The bike course was a very hilly lead out, but quickly turned flat and REALLY fast. I averaged sub 3 minute miles (which is pretty quick for me) for the first 27 miles. Then the course turned REALLY hilly for the remainder ( noting of course I am a flat, coastline biker). So I gave a LOT of time back on the back half and finished with a 17.9 mph avg. " The plan" was to be running 4 1/2 hours after the swim start and I actually started running at 4 hours and 16 minutes. The time I saved here made it possible to make my overall goal.

3. Run course--- VERY steep hills. 3 laps over the the same course for the 13 miles. By this time the temp was up into the low 90's on the city streets. My goal was to finish the run in 2:30, and my time was 2:36.

Overall --6 hours and 55 minutes. Wanted to break 7 hours, so I was happy with that. I was disappointed with parts, but for a first try it went ok. I now know I have to train more efficiently and more intensely, especially in the swim and bike. The run is what it is..... And all depends on conditions. If I am better conditioned I think the run will be better overall. I definitely need to do some bicycling on hills.

So. That was my day. Hope ya'lls was just as fun!!!!!

Jim - Congratulation on the Half Iron Man.

Sarah - Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

:cheer2:Way to go, Jim:cheer2: Just remember that a year flies by more quickly as you get older. Sorry about the water conditions but maybe by next year the level and clarity will be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter