Walt Warriors

I listen to my iPod and run for 2 songs and walk 1 song. The first time I did this and stuck to it (during the Tinkerbell Half), I shaved 15 minutes off my PR. I'm sticking to this interval for a while. :)

The best thing about it was that the race became much less of a mental game for me. It was just about getting through 2 songs at a time. I felt MUCH better at the end of the race, too.

:confused3

HOLY COW!:scared1: What is going on? Way too many injuries so early in the season. Sounds like the run part of the run/walk can be pretty hard on the body. It's after reading posts about running injuries I'm glad that all I do is walk.

I have to say that this past 7 days has been outstanding. Last Sunday I finished the half marathon in Sarasota with Kathy after walking 10K of it in one hour.

Thursday I biked 54 miles with my best friend then walked 3.5 miles with Kathy that evening.

Friday afternoon we got to the pool and swam for about 700m. The right shoulder was really getting freed up.

Saturday morning I got out for a total of 73 miles bicycling. 43 miles with the fast boys and 30 miles on my own. Then Kathy and I got out for 3.4 miles of walking after dinner.

Today I hit the pool again for another 700m then 11 miles biking and 3.5 miles walking. Good things that happened today... right shoulder felt even better than Friday and 3 miles walking at a 11:18mm pace with a .5 mile kick at 8:40mm pace.

I am so psyched out I can see triathlons for sure after Sunday's duathlon!!!:banana:

Please to all, get healthy and be careful.

Hello Healing Warriors!! (and the rest of you guys too!!)

Not much in sunny warm Florida happening!!

I still have my mangled foot/ankle wrapped up in a soft brace. The swelling is mostly gone and my foot is very................................colorful. Many different shades of red/blue & purple. Yummy!!

I'm actually (& somewhat surprisingly) using my head and not running or biking at all this week.

I got in a 2100 meter swim this a.m. followed by about 15 minutes of "pool running". Surviving so far...................

T minus 8 weeks, 5 days. And time's a wastin'......................bleh.

So on the subject of all the injuries, could anybody send some advice for my daughter? She's 15 and runs track, and her feet are just in ribbons from blisters. She has good shoes fitted at a running store, good socks, and doesn't leave her wet shoes on after a run. She gets wicked blisters, some filled with blood, and some on the borderline of infection. Any tips???

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Thank you for the Galloway advice! I still have a 14 miler before race day so I'll play with intervals that day. And I'll see how I feel on race day, too.
Great job John!
Sorry your not feeling better Jim.
I know nothing about blisters except that they're yucky. Sorry!

My son's having some medical issues again so it's been a stressful few days. Managed a pretty lame 1.5 miles on the treadmill yesterday. Better than nothing. Legs weren't fully recovered from the 12 miles on Saturday and I was limited for time. And stress levels at home are high so not ideal. But I'm proud I managed anything!

Amanda

JimB Sounds like a colorful situation there. I just love it, NOT, when the yellow color shows up also.

Amanda You have a lot more perseverance than me with staying on the TM.:cool1: Hoping your son improves quickly.

So on the subject of all the injuries, could anybody send some advice for my daughter? She's 15 and runs track, and her feet are just in ribbons from blisters. She has good shoes fitted at a running store, good socks, and doesn't leave her wet shoes on after a run. She gets wicked blisters, some filled with blood, and some on the borderline of infection. Any tips???

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Is her coach aware of the situation? I would imagine she/he has dealt with this before. Has she tried Body Glide?

Kathy - Congratulations to you and John on the Half Marathon Relay. That does sound like a great medal.

Amanda - Nice job on the continuous running. I've also been combining some runs straight with some run/walk. Finding the right pace can be tough. I know it's easy for me to start out too fast.

JimB - Sorry to hear about the sprain. Take it easy and allow it to heal.

John - Good luck training for the Duatholon.

Kate - Sorry to hear about the leg. The only other thing I can think of is time and seeing a Dr.

Amanda - I'm struggling with the ratio thing right now as well. What is your goal time in the race? I'm shooting for about a 2:45 and I've been playing around with stuff around 2/1, 1:20/:40, 2:30/1. Instead of trying out a race ratio on your long run, you may want to try it out this weekend on the medium long run. Making it somewhat of a race rehearsal. BTW, I also normally start out at an easier ratio for a little bit before building up to full speed.

GBBT - When I first started I had problems with blisters. I ended up using Moleskins on the balls of my feet. In my first half, I had moleskins completely across the balls of both feet.

AFM - Things have been going fairly well. Like I mentioned above, I've been playing around with R/W ratios. My hamstring, I think is nearly healed. I'm still trying to not do anything to aggravate it between now and the race. Although, I did end up doing almost a "Magic Mile". Monday during a my run the sky opened up and it started to pour down rain. I was a little over a mile and a half into my run. I turned around and high tailed it back towards the car. I misjudged where a mile was and ended up doing .8 miles at a 10:00 pace. the last .25 mile was at a 9:30 pace. By that point the rain had stopped, and I was soaked so I continued on back and did just a couple of strides during cooldown. Friday/Saturday I have my 12 mile run/walk for my May half marathon.

Is her coach aware of the situation? I would imagine she/he has dealt with this before. Has she tried Body Glide?

Funny you should mention that: in the car yesterday I said, "Have you shown your feet to your coach?" I urged her to do that today. We also gave her Body Glide. Great minds think alike!!! :cool1:

I have to agree on the body glide, and coach, I'd also add the trainers at the school and if she is still running to try 2 pr of socks one worn correctly the other inside out- then any rubbing happens between the socks. (we use the sock thing with basketball players all the time for blister issues- I don't know if it works cause of the starting and stopping or if it will help with running- but at this point if she's gonna run anyway it probably can't hurt.

I'm sorry so many people are injured in this lovely (at least until today here) weather. I've enjoyed getting outside for a change. I'm back up to 3 miles when I have the time - trying to get ready for a local 10K in April.

Have a great run this weekend Warriors!

Hi all

Speaking on the blister front. I ended up cutting my 12 mile run down to 11 miles on Friday because I was developing couple of hot spots on my feet. There must have been something between the shoes and the socks that my feet didn't like. Fortunately I didn't develop a blister out of it.

Had my 1/2 Ironman Duathlon today and used plenty of Brave Soldier Friction Zone. 5k run was rainy and no problem with blisters. Supposed to have been 56 mile bike ride but it was 58 miles and lots of rain but no chafing or blisters with butt or feet. Half marathon became sunny and HOT but no blisters or even soles becoming hot.

I give this stuff :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

Back on the bicycle today. 35 miles in VERY gusty conditions. Lots of crosswind biking training today. Not bad considering we got about 90 minutes total of sleep at work yesterday. It's a REAL pain when somebody tries to die on you at 3 am in the morning. Sends the work load and stress level through the freakin' ceiling. Maybe I'm getting to old for this stuff.......

Swim tomorrow + MAYBE a run, depending on how my ankle feels.

Jim really pleased to see you're taking good care of your ankle. Does it get much impact when you're at work? Naughty people getting into trouble at night time.... it is very unthoughtful!

John I'm not sure if I'm just confused or reading your post wrong, but there are two run sections in a duathalon? That seems mean! Thrilled that it went so well though and that your shoulder is co-operating nicely.

Jeremy Hmm to hot spots. Sorry you have to cut your run short for that reason. I'm a huge glide fan for the feet.

Pam yay for sunny running and for getting back to 3milers. Hope you get to your 10k- i think with that determination you probably will :banana:

Amanda how's your son doing? Well done for getting any run time in, I hope it's serving as a de-stresser not an extra pressure!

I have no blister advice really either- apart from glide and once you have a blister try not to keep running on him!

me well I'm still splashing in the pool. Realised that I've swum 10k over 4 sessions last week so that felt good. Apparently it doesn't burn enough calories to eat mini eggs though! :scared1: also went to yoga on Sunday and I'm determined to like it (not feeling it yet!). Thigh's still weird, nect target is a 10k in May- I think the half in May might be off the calender now too. On a nicer note, I've been researching running strollers for my sister and baby niece. They're so much cheaper over in the US that I'm seriously considering getting her one whilst we're there nxt month. Toying between Baby Jogger F.I.T and B.O.B. ironman...... or none....we'll see! :rotfl:

Thanks, everyone, for the blister advice for my daughter. She did talk to her coach about it, and the Body Glide seems to be helping.

I am happy to report that I finished the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston yesterday. I was pretty nervous about that huge bridge, but I made it over and it was a lot of fun. Definitely not my best time by any means, but given lack of training these last few months, I'm not disappointed.

Happy April, y'all!
Cheers,
Cari

Happy Tuesday Warriors!

It's been a relatively productive few days. I did a 1 hour bike/50 minute run brick yesterday, and the few days prior have done a couple a long bikes, middle distance runs and a couple of 2k swims. And am still upright!

The ankle is much better, but i'll probably keep it in a soft brace through my 1/2 IM in May. T-6 weeks! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! I'm NEVER going to be ready in time!

Otherwise everything is just peachy. Spring has passed NE Florida by and we have gone straight into summer. But I need to get re-acclimated to warm weather workouts spits not a big factor. Must hydrate and fuel better though.

Guess that's it. Have a great one Warriors!

Hi everyone.

John - congratulation on the tri.

Jim - Glad to hear your ankle is better.

Cari - Glad you Daughters feet are better.

AFM - Training is going well. I thought I had posted on this thread more recently. Last weekend, I did speedwork 8X800 at about an 11:30 pace. Monday was a slow recovery run. Wednesday, I did a race warmup rehersal. I start with 1 mile at about a 13:00 mile and by mile 5 my pace was down to an 11:30 mile which is actually a little faster than I wanted to go. My overall pace was a 12:30 which is right about my realistic goal pace for about a 2:45 half marathon. My optimistic goal is about a 2:40 half marathon.

Friday, I did a 13 mile long run. I still have bought any blister stuff, I have some Sports Wax somewhere if I can find it. But, I put on a pair of double layered socks and had no blister problems. I did the 13 miles in 3:00 or about a 14:00 per mile pace and that includes a 1/2 mile of walking warmup and cooldown. That about 11:00 faster than Disneyland.

On the hamstring front, I haven't had any problems for the past couple of week. 2 weeks ago Monday, I went a little bit too fast and my hamstring let me know it, but after walking a half a mile, I was able to start at least slowing doing my run/walk again. Right now, the key seems to be keeping my running speed slower than a 10:00 mile.

Hope everyone else training is going well.

Hey! Just thought I'd drop in to wish you all a very happy Easter! Well I guess it's now, but even so I hope you had a great weekend! :)

Were on vacation last week so I'm just getting caught up. Before we left I did 13.1 miles in 3 hours. Sadly it was a treadmill run due to childcare considerations. I ran a few miles on vacation but haven't been feeling well so I missed a run or 2. I doubt I'll reach my time goal this weekend but I'm ok with that. :confused3
I've decided to focus more on finishing and less on time. With that in mind I registered for the Goofy! :thumbsup2

Amanda

Hey there Warriors!

Just popping in to say hi and see how everyone is doing! I've been MIA lately because I can't even chase down my toddler right now, so running is kind of out of the question. :lmao:

We did recently have a BIG move - James got a job transfer and we had about 3 weeks from start to finish to make the move from Seattle to Toronto! I'm never dealing with a short timeline international move with a toddler and two German Shepherds, while in my third trimester, ever again! :rotfl: But we're now here in Toronto, bought a house and are waiting to close on May 4 (Star Wars Day!), and hopefully this baby stays put for another few weeks!

I'm looking forward to getting active. I might target walking the Toronto HM in September as a possible race, but we'll see how this whole baby thing goes.

Keep up the great work, Warriors!

Oh my goodness Sarah! That must have been challenging at best. Hope you're getting settled in a new home and the little one is staying put until it's time.

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter