Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Oh interesting! The way I interpreted @igrsod's post was that her husband was trying harder to eat healthy when the pandemic gave him an incentive to do so... perhaps to improve his immune system and reduce the likelihood of serious symptoms if he got infected. And now that it's not so much of a threat, he's lost the motivation. But maybe I'm mistaken!

Oh that makes more sense!

Oh interesting! The way I interpreted @igrsod's post was that her husband was trying harder to eat healthy when the pandemic gave him an incentive to do so... perhaps to improve his immune system and reduce the likelihood of serious symptoms if he got infected. And now that it's not so much of a threat, he's lost the motivation. But maybe I'm mistaken!
You are correct. Although new studies have come out and said that those who eat a plant based diet are over 70% less likely to get severe symptoms if they contract covid.

You are correct. Although new studies have come out and said that those who eat a plant based diet are over 70% less likely to get severe symptoms if they contract covid.
Oh wow, I wouldn't have been surprised by some advantage, but that's way huger than I'd have guessed.

I'm curious, though, whether that's due to the avoidance of meat or to the larger proportion of veggies. Most of the research from the '70s and '80s that found that vegetarians live longer (due to lower risk of heart disease, mostly, but also somewhat to lower cancer risk) has more recently been shown to have been primarily about consumption of vegetables. It would probably be too soon to tell about the Covid research, though. It's way easier to ask people about their broader diet category than to track everything they eat.

You are correct. Although new studies have come out and said that those who eat a plant based diet are over 70% less likely to get severe symptoms. XXe if they contract covid.
My vegetarian DD was very sick when she had Covid. Not to the point of needing hospitalization but still pretty sick.

Oh wow, I wouldn't have been surprised by some advantage, but that's way huger than I'd have guessed.

I'm curious, though, whether that's due to the avoidance of meat or to the larger proportion of veggies.
I think those studies made clear its because persons on a vegetarian diet are less likely to have issues with obesity, which has shown to be a significant comorbidity with severe covid.

I think those studies made clear its because persons on a vegetarian diet are less likely to have issues with obesity, which has shown to be a significant comorbidity with severe covid.
They actually accounted for those outside factors, such as diabetes, obesity etc. and found that wasn't the reason.

"In considering what may account for this difference, the researchers pointed to the fact that plant-based diets are rich in nutrients, including phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals, and fiber. “These nutrients are hypothesised to support the immune system as they play important roles in the production of antibodies, proliferation of lymphocytes, and reduction of oxidative stress,” they wrote. “Our results suggest that a healthy diet rich in nutrient dense foods may be considered for protection against severe COVID-19.”

Anyways, thought it was interesting.

Advice, please?

We have a trip next week and for our Animal Kingdom day I have reservations at both Tusker House and Rainforest Cafe and I'm trying to decide which to keep... Typically, Tusker House would be a no brainer - we love that restaurant as it used to be - However the covid menu is so limited, it's basically a big meat pile and some sides. I emailed Disney and they told me that the chef will probably have a vegetarian option if we ask (though I really hate asking for special treatment), or we can definitely have more vegis and mac and cheese brought to the table...

So, should we go with Rainforest? I never would have thought I'd give up a reservation at TH for RFC... Ugh. What do you all think?

Edited to add: I know DAK has good quick service options, but we can't do that this trip - we have to pick one of these)

Advice, please?

We have a trip next week and for our Animal Kingdom day I have reservations at both Tusker House and Rainforest Cafe and I'm trying to decide which to keep... Typically, Tusker House would be a no brainer - we love that restaurant as it used to be - However the covid menu is so limited, it's basically a big meat pile and some sides. I emailed Disney and they told me that the chef will probably have a vegetarian option if we ask (though I really hate asking for special treatment), or we can definitely have more vegis and mac and cheese brought to the table...

So, should we go with Rainforest? I never would have thought I'd give up a reservation at TH for RFC... Ugh. What do you all think?

Edited to add: I know DAK has good quick service options, but we can't do that this trip - we have to pick one of these)

I'd do Rainforest Cafe - you'll have way more options and can eat as light or heavy as you want...

What vegetarian options are at Ohana? My husband is a vegetarian, not vegan. I have been dying to eat at Ohana but have avoided it over the years in fear that it'd be a waste of money for him

Advice, please?

I have been stalking the Tusker House menu for this very reason. I am not about to pay 55$ for my 6’4 230 lb son to eat just sides haha. I checked today and it looks like they added a plant based “Impossible” Durban Curry upon request. I made reservations for both bfast and dinner, so now I need to decide which to cancel

My daughter is graduating next year and wants to go to WDW to celebrate. The biggest problem I have is that due to health reasons I now eat plant based with no salt, oil, or sugar. We plan to drive so I will be stopping at grocery store so I can have food to eat but I would like to eat out a couple of times. Is this even possible? I think I will be ok eating a couple of meals during the week that will have some salt, oil, and sugar but it needs to be very limited and I hope my body doesn't react negatively. I appriciate any and all advice/guidance!

I have been stalking the Tusker House menu for this very reason. I am not about to pay 55$ for my 6’4 230 lb son to eat just sides haha. I checked today and it looks like they added a plant based “Impossible” Durban Curry upon request. I made reservations for both bfast and dinner, so now I need to decide which to cancel
Here’s a review someone posted of the Tusker House vegan options for dinner. Sounds like they were very happy with it. https://vegandisneyfood.com/vegan-lunch-and-dinner-at-tusker-house-in-disneys-animal-kingdom/

My daughter is graduating next year and wants to go to WDW to celebrate. The biggest problem I have is that due to health reasons I now eat plant based with no salt, oil, or sugar. We plan to drive so I will be stopping at grocery store so I can have food to eat but I would like to eat out a couple of times. Is this even possible? I think I will be ok eating a couple of meals during the week that will have some salt, oil, and sugar but it needs to be very limited and I hope my body doesn't react negatively. I appriciate any and all advice/guidance!

Sit-down Disney owned restaurants will work with you to prepare a meal that fits your health needs. I used to go with a person who couldn’t have much salt, sugar/simple carbs, or large amounts of dairy and the chefs always came up with something, even if it was off-menu or a heavily modified menu option. But take a look at the menu to see what ingredients the chef has to work with.

in my experience disney chef will come to your table and do as you wish - as best they can. we have doen this for years

On the Tusker House subject, the vloggers the Princess and the Bear (one of them is vegan, one isn't but always tries the vegan stuff, too) posted a review of it yesterday:

I know this probably comes too late to help @Dicentras, but others may still be interested. The plant-based dishes they cover are the same ones described in the article @Chaitali linked, so it's safe to consider them the options currently offered there on the regular.

TL;DR/DW, it's salad, vegan bread service, a curry with Impossible "meat" and chickpeas, rice, mixed veggies, and roasted potatoes, and a chocolate mousse with fruit for dessert. There's plenty of food in the vegan spread; the Princess barely had room for dessert. The only thing she didn't really like was the salad, which had way too much dressing. She thought the curry was okay, but she'd have preferred it with just the chickpeas and not the Impossible meat (which you can request, according to the other article). So basically, vegans can have a satisfying meal at Tusker House right now.

The vloggers didn't think it was as good a choice as Garden Grill, if you're looking for a character dining experience for vegans, but of course that doesn't help if you're specifically looking for someplace to eat in Animal Kingdom.

Hello! I am looking for recent vegan reviews from Be Our Guest. I am traveling with my brother and sister in law and niece (8) and nephew (5). They are all vegan. I know that they changed the menu in the spring at some point. How is it right now?

What vegetarian options are at Ohana? My husband is a vegetarian, not vegan. I have been dying to eat at Ohana but have avoided it over the years in fear that it'd be a waste of money for him

I believe in the past it's been a vegetable stir-fry with rice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter