Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I have very recently transitioned to a vegan diet and have an upcoming trip in July. This thread has been very helpful! This may be a stupid question, but is all WDW popcorn vegan?

I think some of the flavored ones are non-vegan, like the cheddar. But the butter flavor found everywhere is vegan, as well as the maple popcorn in Canada at Epcot. At Disney owned and operated locations look for the green leaf symbol on menu boards- that means it is vegan. Some things without a leaf symbol can be altered to be vegan.

I know vegan disney food/vegan disney world are pretty comprehensive sites, do you think it's a waste of time to go to the little carts and ask if they can make stuff not listed on those sites plant-based? eg. that blue and yellow moana themed dole whip, or the new red bean drink.

Dole whips have more options at MK via mobile order than what is listed on the menu. At any location, if it’s something that can be altered, then they will. Some things are totally premade. For example, the Peter Pan drink is vegan without the chocolate feather.

I don’t know if this really goes in this thread but do any of you dislike going out to dinner with non-vegan/non-vegetarians? I find it just makes me sad and angry, especially when they don’t finish what they order and just throw it away.

Since no one posted to say if this was the right thread, I figure I'll post my vegan dinner theatre experiences here, and then it can be moved later if it's not right.

Since I have a dairy allergy (the tree nut allergy didn't matter b/c neither show has tree nut products), I was limited to vegan dining at both Sleuth's Dinner Show and Pirates Dinner Adventure. Since this is a dining thread, I will focus solely on the food.

At Pirates's, you will need to pay the $6.99 premium to order the grilled tofu dish with white rice and vegetables. And that's okay, b/c my spouse (having tried the pork, cornish hen, and tofu) said this was the 2nd best dish, and might have been the best one. The char on the tofu was great. The sauce that accompanied was good. I did bring my own salt and pepper to perk up the dish - only the veg really needed it. This was the star part of the meal at this event.

Now, at Pirate's, you also get bread or app, salad and dessert. Well, these don't compare with the dinner (which I would give a B to - if it was a free add-on, I might give it an A-:)). There was no vegan option my night for the bread/app - fried mac and cheese bites were served to everyone. Note - they put them in front of me (I was in the bathroom, and they were just there when I got back), so you need to speak up a lot if you have allergies or dietary needs. I just passed mine to my kids. As for the salad, since I spoke up, I was offered a mixed greens with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was good, it was a LOT, but there was one bitter green in it that was hard to avoid in the dark. I left about 1/2 the plate, but if you love salad, you may eat it all. And dessert is where dinner theater pretty much fails. Now, they did find me something - if I was guessing, it was a tropical frozen fruit bag defrosted and put in a bowl. That said, I like tropical fruit, so I didn't mind too much...and it was something.

All in all, I'd go back to Pirate's for the vegan food and hope someday, they get a sorbet or something for the dessert and find any type of vegan bread. I left 1/2 the food b/c they serve so much, and I was so happy with the entree and the balance of the meal, with protein, carbs, fats, fruits/veg all represented.

Now, at Sleuth's, they actually have vegan cards you check when you enter, so when you get your meal, the wait staff should know what you can have. That should work, but they are so understaffed, again, I sat down and was immediately served the "I can't eat this salad." I immediately stopped the waitress and told her I couldn't eat it and passed it to my spouse, and she paused and actually paid attention to the allergy and we discussed the salad. Here, I was given what was obviously an iceberg lettuce salad bag with another oil and vinegar (less certain on the type of vinegar). I actually like iceberg, so it didn't bother me as much - the salad was smaller than Pirate's, and I finished more, but not the whole thing. And then, we got the entree (which is included in the fee) - it tastes fine, but the food is all over the place and seems like someone just said what veg is in the kitchen and can we throw it on the plate. The night I was there, it was zoodles with the smallest scoop of tomato sauce (as I told my spouse, I think it was the "can she eat this - I don't know so just put a tiny dollop on it), green beans, and a plain baked sweet potato. And still no vegan bread (everyone else got it with their meal - not me). Now, this night, I brought salt/pepper AND a sweetener, b/c I knew that sweet potato would need help...and it did (I went with sweet and salty, since they delivered no fat for it - funny enough, Sleuth's already had s&p on the table, so I only needed to use my sweetener). Surprisingly, the rest of the plate was well seasoned and cooked. And again, there's a LOT of food. It just takes up stomach volume, I think, so I only ate 1/2. And again, then it was time for dessert. The waitress was flummoxed, but said she thought I could have the strawberries and whipped cream, then caught herself and said no cream, so I got a bowl of obviously defrosted frozen strawberries in syrup. Again, I like frozen strawberries, so this didn't bother me too much, but sorbet with fruit...c'mon dinner theaters. A scoop of strawberry sorbet under those strawberries - it's all I ask.

I'd go back to Sleuth's for the show and less the food. It was decent, but it was so out of balance with no protein and pretty much no fats in the meal, although tons of fruit/veg and carbs.

Hope this helps any vegans and allergy folks out there!

I did want to give one shout out for vegan bakery goodness in Orlando. We went to Universal City Walk and had Voodoo Doughnuts. I wish there was one where I lived. The vegan Dirt donut was really good, and I haven't had that type of donut since my dairy allergy kicked in - it really tasted like what I used to get to have. But the vegan apple fritter. OMG! I had it a day after I bought it. It's ENORMOUS. I split it with my family into 6 parts, but a more reasonable split would be 4 parts. You can't eat this in one sitting. And it's AMAZING!!! My family announced it better than any apple fritter, vegan or otherwise, they ever had. I would order it to be mailed to be if I could. But again, it's not for one sitting.

PS - If you want these donuts, go early. For some reason, the line builds as the day goes on, even though they are donuts...

I'm not sure if this had been covered, but the California Grill no longer offers a special vegetarian menu. In the past they had a menu of basically sides and apps and you could choose 4 of them from the menu for about $40. My daughter ended up ordering the squash soup, the ravioli and the vegetarian sushi and it was a LOT more than $40 :(. She was very disappointed and I was miffed to pay more for less food.

I'm not sure if this had been covered, but the California Grill no longer offers a special vegetarian menu. In the past they had a menu of basically sides and apps and you could choose 4 of them from the menu for about $40. My daughter ended up ordering the squash soup, the ravioli and the vegetarian sushi and it was a LOT more than $40 :(. She was very disappointed and I was miffed to pay more for less food.

I was just about to ask about that option. I saw it wasn’t on the menu anymore. I was hoping they would make it if you requested it but I guess not.

I was just about to ask about that option. I saw it wasn’t on the menu anymore. I was hoping they would make it if you requested it but I guess not.
We did ask and they said it was not currently available. I would still ask for it, though. It might be available in the future and if enough people ask for it they may bring it back.

I don’t know if this really goes in this thread but do any of you dislike going out to dinner with non-vegan/non-vegetarians? I find it just makes me sad and angry, especially when they don’t finish what they order and just throw it away.
It's so hard isn't it. My DH is a meat eater.... I have a hard time watching him cook and eat. I try every now and again to convince him to stop eating meat. I have made progress. He does do meatless meals quite often.

2 things I want to mention that were really good vegan items in Universal Studios/IOA...

At Krusty Burger, I had the vegan version of the black bean burger with guacamole and tomato. This was a great vegan burger (it was chef made b/c I'm not sure the standard bun is always vegan, and b/c I have a dairy allergy, they apparently needed to have the chef make it).

At Burger Digs, I had the vegan version of the spring salad. I don't know if it's always vegan (or if the chips have to be done special), but it was light and refreshing and perfect "real" food, especially in the heat.

Both products were nicely priced and I felt a good value for my money.

PS - Burger Digs also has a mushroom and brown rice vegan burger, but I wanted the salad, so I can't compare the 2...

It's so hard isn't it. My DH is a meat eater.... I have a hard time watching him cook and eat. I try every now and again to convince him to stop eating meat. I have made progress. He does do meatless meals quite often.

That’s so great that you’re making progress! It must be difficult to plan meals. My husband decided it was easier to become vegetarian.

That’s so great that you’re making progress! It must be difficult to plan meals. My husband decided it was easier to become vegetarian.
If he doesn't want what my son and I are having, then he cooks something for himself. I buy all the vegetarian groceries, he buys anything else that he wants.
He went vegetarian for months at the beginning of the pandemic... he rightfully thought that a veggie diet would be better. Now that he's vaccinated, he's back to eating meat.

If he doesn't want what my son and I are having, then he cooks something for himself. I buy all the vegetarian groceries, he buys anything else that he wants.
He went vegetarian for months at the beginning of the pandemic... he rightfully thought that a veggie diet would be better. Now that he's vaccinated, he's back to eating meat.

Was there evidence of people getting covid from meat? I didn’t follow what was going on in that area. I know there was a shortage for a while.

Was there evidence of people getting covid from meat? I didn’t follow what was going on in that area. I know there was a shortage for a while.
Oh interesting! The way I interpreted @igrsod's post was that her husband was trying harder to eat healthy when the pandemic gave him an incentive to do so... perhaps to improve his immune system and reduce the likelihood of serious symptoms if he got infected. And now that it's not so much of a threat, he's lost the motivation. But maybe I'm mistaken!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter