Upgrading - what would be the chances?

Okh

Mouseketeer
Now mind you, I'm not looking for a freebie, just a good deal. We're 16 days out and staying at POR. I love POR, but we stay there all the time and I'd like to maybe upgrade. I'm wondering what my chances of getting a good deal on an upgrade to deluxe would be as we get closer to our departure date and it becomes more apparent to Disney that some of their deluxe rooms might go unoccupied?

If there's a chance, how would I go about it?

Thanks!

Ask.

And ask about how much it would cost to upgrade. I think I've read before that people get defensive and less helpful if you come across that you are looking for a free upgrade.

Now mind you, I'm not looking for a freebie, just a good deal. We're 16 days out and staying at POR. I love POR, but we stay there all the time and I'd like to maybe upgrade. I'm wondering what my chances of getting a good deal on an upgrade to deluxe would be as we get closer to our departure date and it becomes more apparent to Disney that some of their deluxe rooms might go unoccupied?

If there's a chance, how would I go about it?

Thanks!

CRO CM's have offered me "Flex Offers" from time to time over the years. They are one time offers that pop up on their screen for a deal at a resort. Once you book you cannot change or modify the offer. You can call and see if there are any Flex Offers available.

Unlike normal hotels, Disney doesn't typically offer last minute prices when they have a lot of extra rooms... You might get lucky and get a good deal to upgrade within your hotel when you arrive, but probably not to a different one. If you want to pay to upgrade you probably should book now, especially if there is an advertised discount available.

I was upgraded from a standard room to a riverview room, last year at POR. I didn't know it until I got to the room. I'm sure it had to do with my requests more than anything else, upper floor, corner room. It was a great location! #pixiedust As I think about it, upgrading to a different resort usually happens at the values and then it is usually to SSR or OKW.

For some reason, we are always getting upgrades. We were upgraded to a suite at Music last year (I had only paid 82. a night, Florida discount rate :) and we have been upgraded to preferred several times. With some, such as the music, I noticed my reservation had changed on the reservation link a few weeks before, so it was decided early. I notice that at the POP, the earlier I check in, the more likely I am to get preferred instead of standard. Of course it may be the fact that we go to Disney every 3 months or so :goodvibes

I think your chances of an upgrade are 100% if you are willing to pay for it. Disney is not in the business of giving guests "good deals" to upgrade to deluxe resorts.

I think your chances of getting a discount on a deluxe hotel are 100% if you book a deluxe with a discount code.

But asking to be upgraded for a song and a dance are probably 0% chance.

I think your chances of an upgrade are 100% if you are willing to pay for it. Disney is not in the business of giving guests "good deals" to upgrade to deluxe resorts.

I think your chances of getting a discount on a deluxe hotel are 100% if you book a deluxe with a discount code.

But asking to be upgraded for a song and a dance are probably 0% chance.

I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.

I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.

To answer that question, Disney doesn't really follow common industry practices here. They do advertised discounts, but aside from that, they don't offer last-minute deals due to low occupancy. The only way you will get a last minute upgrade at Disney is if they overbooked you at your room level at your resort and they need to bump someone to make space. Even then, it's probably not going to get you bumped up to a deluxe resort from a mod.

From what I have seen Disney does not follow typical industry practice.

Many 'serious' Disney fans only go to Disney, they do not travel to other places..they are not experienced with how the rest of the chain hotels do things. Even someone who vacations once a year and stays at hotels does not have the kind of knowledge a business traveler has.

As a light business traveler married to a heavy business traveler, we realize Disney does not operate like chain hotels do - they do not reward you (as far as I can tell) for repeat stays, do not care if you go two times a year or two times in your life. They handle upgrades differently but still use a system to determine if/when you will upgrade you. Pay full price for your category? slightly better chance to get an upgrade. low occupancy in the category above you, but heavy occupancy in the category you are in? better chance.
book a premium or platinum stay? slightly better chance. Short stay? better chance. Going for a special occasion? slightly better chance.

We went twice on the platinum plan, celebration our honeymoon (2003) and our 5th anniversary (2008)

2003: AKL, paid for savannah view, asked for king bed. got savannah view room, double (queen?) size beds. Only other option was one bed and two bunk beds. (Possible Reason: crowded, columbus day, we got a buy 4 nights get 3 free nights deal, not a lot of chances for upgrade)

2008: Poly, paid for Theme Park View, got upgraded to club level HI bulding, MK View. (Possible Reason: went earlier in the month, very low park crowds, paid full price, 5th anniversary, CL was not full, Tahiti building was very full it seems facing the lagoon, which is where many of the MK view rooms are, platinum plan gets IPO and turndown service.)

We just hit a very lucky combination there.

My moto: Book the room you want and be happy when you get it. :P When we go for our 10th, we are pretty much doing the same trip we did for our 5th, but one day shorter and one day earlier. While we hope for an upgrade...we will just expect the room we paid for.. MK view, Poly.

From what I have seen Disney does not follow typical industry practice.

Many 'serious' Disney fans only go to Disney, they do not travel to other places..they are not experienced with how the rest of the chain hotels do things. Even someone who vacations once a year and stays at hotels does not have the kind of knowledge a business traveler has.

As a light business traveler married to a heavy business traveler, we realize Disney does not operate like chain hotels do - they do not reward you (as far as I can tell) for repeat stays, do not care if you go two times a year or two times in your life. They handle upgrades differently but still use a system to determine if/when you will upgrade you. Pay full price for your category? slightly better chance to get an upgrade. low occupancy in the category above you, but heavy occupancy in the category you are in? better chance.
book a premium or platinum stay? slightly better chance. Short stay? better chance. Going for a special occasion? slightly better chance.
I'll admit that I rarely travel for business and when I do it's to attend a conference and thus I stay at the site of the conference (and have received upgraded rooms gratis occasionally.)
I do, however, travel for pleasure, and would love to know which chain I should be booking that as a common industry practise will allow me for a slight increase in price to move from one of that chain's moderate hotels to one of it's premium hotels in a better location when rooms in the premium hotel are empty. I'm familiar w/ upgrades w/in a hotel itself, but to actually be moved to a better hotel in a better location (which is what OP was hoping to do) - which chain are you referring to?
thx.

I'll admit that I rarely travel for business and when I do it's to attend a conference and thus I stay at the site of the conference (and have received upgraded rooms gratis occasionally.)
I do, however, travel for pleasure, and would love to know which chain I should be booking that as a common industry practise will allow me for a slight increase in price to move from one of that chain's moderate hotels to one of it's premium hotels in a better location when rooms in the premium hotel are empty. I'm familiar w/ upgrades w/in a hotel itself, but to actually be moved to a better hotel in a better location (which is what OP was hoping to do) - which chain are you referring to?
thx.

It happeneds at Marriotts. (I'm sure it hapens at other chains too!) t's called "walking". For example, you booked a courtyard and a Marriott, owned by the same owner is 2 miles away, the Courtyard (think: moderate) is overbooked, but the Marriott (think Deluxe) is not - they will move (walk) you to the other chain hotel...sometimes when you are checking in...for free. I'm sure it happens for a fee too, if they have a new hotel opening or re-opening under new management that is underbooked...I could see this happening.

My hubby says it happened at a raddisson when he was in NYC, and actually it happened to us both on vacation at a hotel in Salem, Mass. We booked the Nathaniel Hawthorne, standard room, and when we went to check in, we were given a room in a bed and breakfast 2 room suite owned by the same owner as the Nathaniel Hawthorne. it was about 2 blocks from the hotel we booked.

Since Disney owns their hotels value through deluxe, an experienced traveler who has been 'walked' in the past might be hoping for this to happen on property, but it's not a common or even uncommon occurance, and I've only heard (through various boards) it happenening when the hotel was completely overbooked and sold out. (like maybe it mightt have happened in 2003 during the buy 4 get 3 days promotion?)

I know about walking due to overbooking - in fact last time I was in Waikiki I was walked, but the posts suggested some chains allow this as industry standard w/out any reference to the original hotel being overbooked, interesting.

I know about walking due to overbooking - in fact last time I was in Waikiki I was walked, but the posts suggested some chains allow this as industry standard w/out any reference to the original hotel being overbooked, interesting.

I think a move-over for a fee is actually what he is hoping for...I was just thinking about this while talking to my hubby...Walking is not usually a volunteer situation. I think there would have to be a reason for a move over....maybe second hotel is under booked?

So to wrap this up, I called Disney to see what the price difference for an upgrade would be and got a really nice CM. We had a few laughs and then he quoted me $1900 over the POR preferred we had booked. We had a few more laughs over that and ended the call.

That's really it folks, just looking for a deal, not a freebie, not "a song and dance" - which was a hilarious misuse of a phrase btw, thank you. I don't understand why one wouldn't look for a better deal, honesty. A fool and his money and all that, you know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter