Upgrading Ares PH

julesann

DIS Veteran
I am going to be at DLR for 4 days with my dd in October and then at a 2 day conference by myself at a nearby hotel. I've been going back and forth about MHP, but have decided to not go. I think it would be fun to visit the park solo for dinner and simply soak in the park, but I need to get a 5th day on my Ares PH. I tried reading some threads on this, but got confused. I am wondering--first of all, can I upgrade? And, if I can, do I need to do it on a certain day while I am in the parks. Also, does Disney calculate the upgrade cost based on the value of a 4 day PH or what I paid for my PH which is less as I got it before the rates went up. Thanks so much!

I've decided that I also want to upgrade my 3 day hopper to a 4 day. I emailed Ares and they responded to say that it won't be a problem to upgrade when we exchange our voucher at the ticket booth. I understood I would only be charged for the difference in price between a 3 and 4 day hopper. I'm not sure how they calculate the upgrade cost though. I guess I'll find out when I get there on Aug 23rd.

The default is that you're supposed to pay the difference between what you actually paid for the ticket and the current gate price of the ticket you're upgrading to. But if the ticket is coded for more than Ares charges you then you may pay less than the full difference. If you purchased the ticket before a DLR ticket price increase, the difference would be greater. The best way to answer your question is to contact Ares and ask if your ticket is upgradeable, and if so, what is the upgrade value. You may want to price it against a 1 park twilight ticket, if that's available from your conference.

Looks like it is best to contact Ares. Do I need to upgrade when I exchange my voucher for my PH at the ticket booth or can I wait a few days?

You have until the end of your 4th day of use. So even if you were originally planning to go Mon-Thurs, if you decided to use it on Sun you could, you'd just have to upgrade by the end of Wed to get Thurs back.

Once you're there, you will be issued a standard paper parkhopper ticket that is indistinguishable from one purchased through Disney or anybody else. Stop by a ticket booth sometime when the lines are low, before your extra day, and upgrade from a 4 to a 5-day hopper. They will charge you the current difference, which I believe is $15.

Once you're there, you will be issued a standard paper parkhopper ticket that is indistinguishable from one purchased through Disney or anybody else. Stop by a ticket booth sometime when the lines are low, before your extra day, and upgrade from a 4 to a 5-day hopper. They will charge you the current difference, which I believe is $15.

Thank you--that's what I'll do!

Thank you--that's what I'll do!
Julesann, just checking if you did this, and did you only have to pay the $15 price difference? We purchased park hopper tickets through ares (at a discount), but would like to upgrade by adding an extra day, and I was wondering if I have to pay the difference of what I paid, or is it just difference in face value? Thanks!

I was not able to pay the current difference. I had to pay the difference between my actual cost and the current upgrade cost. The CM could see the price difference on her computer when I went to upgrade my ticket.

I was not able to pay the current difference. I had to pay the difference between my actual cost and the current upgrade cost. The CM could see the price difference on her computer when I went to upgrade my ticket.
I wonder...if you had exchanged your voucher. Then the next day upgraded... would you have had to pay so much?

I wonder...if you had exchanged your voucher. Then the next day upgraded... would you have had to pay so much?
Thanks julesann. Yes, I'm wondering what smartlabelprint said too...I've heard at WDW, if you use the ticket at least once, it brings the voucher up to current price, then when you upgrade, you only pay the difference of current price? Did you try that, or did you ask to upgrade when you initially picked up ticket?

Yes, I did exchange the voucher for my ticket and then upgraded a couple of days later and it didn't work. I have read that others have been able to upgrade for only the current price difference, but it didn't work for me. I wonder if the CM has the option to override this or if some tickets are different than others? The CM was a little grumpy and firm, I recall, when I questioned her after she gave me the additional cost. She said I can tell you paid this much and you have to pay the difference between the two.

Yes, I did exchange the voucher for my ticket and then upgraded a couple of days later and it didn't work. I have read that others have been able to upgrade for only the current price difference, but it didn't work for me. I wonder if the CM has the option to override this or if some tickets are different than others? The CM was a little grumpy and firm, I recall, when I questioned her after she gave me the additional cost. She said I can tell you paid this much and you have to pay the difference between the two.

I have read that the tickets are coded in some way that tells the computer what price (discount or not) you paid. Unlike aRes tickets, LMT tickets are coded in such a way that the price reads as non-discount, which is why people who upgrade those only pay the current price difference since the computer doesn't detect any discount. Discount tickets appear to be coded differently according to vendor.

I have read that the tickets are coded in some way that tells the computer what price (discount or not) you paid. Unlike aRes tickets, LMT tickets are coded in such a way that the price reads as non-discount, which is why people who upgrade those only pay the current price difference since the computer doesn't detect any discount. Discount tickets appear to be coded differently according to vendor.

Ah, bummer! So frustrating, as I purchased my aRes tickets but haven't used them yet, and I called aRes and they can't upgrade for me even though I haven't used the ticket yet. Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know though!

If I am not mistaken, DLR does not bridge tickets, you pay what you paid and they will charge the difference, unless you get lucky and get a CM who doesnt have a clue.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter