Under 14? Cannot enter DL or WDW alone

That is different here- the kids all look forward to going off together and making a day out of shopping together without mom tagging along. I don't know any of the kids that don't go shopping in a group for the 8th grade dance. Some moms can't let go and do stay in the mall while the kids are there shopping but don't usually tag along with them.

Oh well, difference in areas I guess. It is a big thing here and the daughters want us to go with them. Shoot even the 16 year old next door, asked me and my DD to go with her and her mom. It is just a girls day out and we all enjoy it. Different stroke for different folks, and as we have learned here on the Dis, definitely different in other areas of the country. Really doesn't matter as long as I like the dress I am paying for. lol

Six years ago, my then 11 year old went to Magic Kingdom and back alone one night when I was resting in the hotel. He wanted the independence. That was the first time he ever went anywhere alone, being that we live in the country and I have to drive him wherever he goes. He got there, it rained heavily, he didn't bring rain gear, got soaked and was mad, came right back. Cracked me up. I still laugh whenever I tell people the story.
This year, my current 11 year old is expressing a desire to visit Hollywood Studios alone when I'm resting in the hotel. I just learned about the 14 year old rule. My plan: teach my kid to sneak in.:P Find a family with kids, then line up right behind them to get his bag searched. The same with scanning his band in later. I have never seen anybody ask, "Are these all your kids?" or "Is that your mom?" (Or maybe they did ask and I wasn't paying attention.) You just have to be careful and not stand out. If he does get turned away, walk away until he is out of sight, wait a few minutes, find another family with kids at a different checker, and try again! Keep trying till he succeeds! He will do this every time we enter the park, that is, line up with a different family, for practice, until he's good at it and we are sure of his success. Once I know he can do it, he can do it by himself.
If DS11 can't pull this off, then he is obviously not old enough to go to Disney World alone!8-)

Six years ago, my then 11 year old went to Magic Kingdom and back alone one night when I was resting in the hotel. He wanted the independence. That was the first time he ever went anywhere alone, being that we live in the country and I have to drive him wherever he goes. He got there, it rained heavily, he didn't bring rain gear, got soaked and was mad, came right back. Cracked me up. I still laugh whenever I tell people the story.
This year, my current 11 year old is expressing a desire to visit Hollywood Studios alone when I'm resting in the hotel. I just learned about the 14 year old rule. My plan: teach my kid to sneak in.:P Find a family with kids, then line up right behind them to get his bag searched. The same with scanning his band in later. I have never seen anybody ask, "Are these all your kids?" or "Is that your mom?" (Or maybe they did ask and I wasn't paying attention.) You just have to be careful and not stand out. If he does get turned away, walk away until he is out of sight, wait a few minutes, find another family with kids at a different checker, and try again! Keep trying till he succeeds! He will do this every time we enter the park, that is, line up with a different family, for practice, until he's good at it and we are sure of his success. Once I know he can do it, he can do it by himself.
If DS11 can't pull this off, then he is obviously not old enough to go to Disney World alone!8-)

I know you are probably joking but be aware you aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy.

I was 12 when I took the DC subway by myself and spent a day wandering Capitol Hill alone. WDW seems far safer than that. Kids in large cities can be quite familiar with public transportation alone from a very young age.

I have no issue with the rule, but I do agree 14 is a bit high. 10-12 would make more sense to me. But since this also seems relatively unenforceable, I doubt it really matter what arbitrary age they pick.

I was 12 when I took the DC subway by myself and spent a day wandering Capitol Hill alone. WDW seems far safer than that. Kids in large cities can be quite familiar with public transportation alone from a very young age.

I have no issue with the rule, but I do agree 14 is a bit high. 10-12 would make more sense to me. But since this also seems relatively unenforceable, I doubt it really matter what arbitrary age they pick.

It really isn't unenforceable. They ask the kids age and either the kid lies and then if something happens it is no longer Disney liability or they kid says their age and the CM says sorry you need a parent or guardian over the age of 14 to enter. It gets enforced pretty quickly when kids are acting up.

Sure kids in large cities are familiar with public transportation at a young age and you did it when you were 12 but Disney gets to set whatever rules they want. In a crowded theme park environment where stuff happens (ride break downs being the big one) it isn't just about getting into the park and behaving it is the maturity about following the rules and taking care of ones self in an emergency situation.

It really isn't unenforceable. They ask the kids age and either the kid lies and then if something happens it is no longer Disney liability or they kid says their age and the CM says sorry you need a parent or guardian over the age of 14 to enter. It gets enforced pretty quickly when kids are acting up.

Sure kids in large cities are familiar with public transportation at a young age and you did it when you were 12 but Disney gets to set whatever rules they want. In a crowded theme park environment where stuff happens (ride break downs being the big one) it isn't just about getting into the park and behaving it is the maturity about following the rules and taking care of ones self in an emergency situation.

Of course Disney can set whatever rules they want, I made no claim otherwise. Just shared my opinion of their decision . . .
And that's also why I added "relatively" to my unenforceable. Since IDs aren't checked on entry, and kids that age often do not have IDs, it's more of an honor system of enforcement that provides a "stick" that can be used in the event of misbehavior.

So are kids going to have to carry their birth certificate? Honestly, how will this be enforced? My 17 year old daughter looks younger than 14 without makeup and with her hair in a ponyponytail.

I also think 12 is a more reasonable age.

I've never run into a situation at WDW where a unsupervised child under 14 was causing trouble.

It's usually adults or older teens.

I mean, I don't care one way or the other. I'm just saying.

So are kids going to have to carry their birth certificate? Honestly, how will this be enforced? My 17 year old daughter looks younger than 14 without makeup and with her hair in a ponyponytail.

I also think 12 is a more reasonable age.

It is all honor code. If your daughter is 17 then I imagine if a CM asks her her age she'll answer truthfully and say 17. Same way as when a TSA agent might ask their age. So if anyone asks she just says her age.

I've never run into a situation at WDW where a unsupervised child under 14 was causing trouble.

It's usually adults or older teens.

I mean, I don't care one way or the other. I'm just saying.

Before this rule went into affect there was a massive problem at WDW and DL of parents using Disney as a baby sitter especially in the summer. It was much cheaper for them to pay for an Annual pass and drop their kids off every day with a sack lunch then it was to higher a baby sitter. Also pretty fun. It still happens (haven't worked there in about 4ish years but now parents walk their kids in make it to a certain point then say have a good day you have your phone if you need me) of course but not nearly on the level it use to.

I know you are probably joking but be aware you aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy.
I don't consider going to WDW alone as "openly breaking Disney policy." My DS11 is totally ready to roam Disney alone
I didn't know that "aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy." But I don't consider this much of a policy. Why can't I send my kid to the park while I'm resting in the hotel? Obviously I know my kid is smart and mature enough to do it or I wouldn't try it. I think Disney is just doing that to avoid certain weird situations, but 11 is old enough when my son's been going to Disney World every year since he was 4. It's just for a couple of hours while I rest, and to Hollywood Studios which I dislike, but he enjoys the roller coaster there. He will have cell phone with gps tracking, water bottle, rain coat. And he wants to enjoy some independence, something he can't do at home.

I don't think they are doing that now. This thread is quite old.
The thread is old but the policy is still on paper. Annoying, but it doesn't hurt to teach my son to learn how to blend with the crowd. Where I live, we don't have crowds.

I believe it's probably enforceable at WDW. If the parent has the birth date entered correctly on MDE, the info is right at the CMs fingertips should they question it.

Agreed that it's not enforceable at DLR.

I don't consider going to WDW alone as "openly breaking Disney policy." My DS11 is totally ready to roam Disney alone

I didn't know that "aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy." But I don't consider this much of a policy. Why can't I send my kid to the park while I'm resting in the hotel? Obviously I know my kid is smart and mature enough to do it or I wouldn't try it. I think Disney is just doing that to avoid certain weird situations, but 11 is old enough when my son's been going to Disney World every year since he was 4. It's just for a couple of hours while I rest, and to Hollywood Studios which I dislike, but he enjoys the roller coaster there. He will have cell phone with gps tracking, water bottle, rain coat. And he wants to enjoy some independence, something he can't do at home.

It is a policy though. It is written in the rules we all agree to by buying a park ticket and entering their property. You even said if he got caught you'll just encourage him to try again. You may think he is read but the private property you are entering has a known and posted rule that you must be 14 at the parks alone. So if you are discussing letting your 11 year old go in by walking in with a completely different family then you are in fact discussing openly breaking Disney's rules.

You may not agree or like the rule but it is their rule. Your son is too young to enter/exit by himself per their policy.

Last edited:

I didn't know that "aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy." But I don't consider this much of a policy.

I think that policy is insane- you are telling me my 13 year old 9th grade high schooler needs mommy or daddy with them to do to a theme park. She could take a train into NYC, take the subway with friends and manage to come home alive but Disney you need supervision at---insane LOL.

I think that policy is insane- you are telling me my 13 year old 9th grade high schooler needs mommy or daddy with them to do to a theme park. She could take a train into NYC, take the subway with friends and manage to come home alive but Disney you need supervision at---insane LOL.

According to Disney's rules yep they need you at least in the same park. It is their rules so if we agree with them or not you have to follow them (or at least not out right say you won't on the boards).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter