Under 14? Cannot enter DL or WDW alone

Seems quite a sensible move. I am slightly surprised this wasn't in place in the first place or have I missed something. There are plenty of incredibly sensible 14 year olds (and under) out there but it isn't their personal common sense that is being protected more they are being protected against the potentially dangerous actions of others.

In the UK we (on school trips) would not be allowed to let 14 year olds move alone around theme parks or museums. They would normally be placed in groups of at least 4.

This new rule probably won't affect that many people. I can't see that many people allowing teenagers to move around a park of this size without supervision or at least a responsible companion.

Seems quite a sensible move. I am slightly surprised this wasn't in place in the first place or have I missed something. There are plenty of incredibly sensible 14 year olds (and under) out there but it isn't their personal common sense that is being protected more they are being protected against the potentially dangerous actions of others.

In the UK we (on school trips) would not be allowed to let 14 year olds move alone around theme parks or museums. They would normally be placed in groups of at least 4.

This new rule probably won't affect that many people. I can't see that many people allowing teenagers to move around a park of this size without supervision or at least a responsible companion.

Lots of people here do. I have seen multiple stories of parents letting the kids take transportation from their hotel, to a park alone. I don't do this, but I know that people have and do.

mhsjax said:
Lots of people here do. I have seen multiple stories of parents letting the kids take transportation from their hotel, to a park alone. I don't do this, but I know that people have and do.

Wow, I am surprised by that! Maybe they are families who are very experienced travellers or spend a great deal of time within WDW. Certainly, we can only get there for a fortnight every few years so it wouldn't be something I would personally consider but I suppose some could consider it safer than a 14 year old getting transport in their local town etc.

Hope it doesn't upset too many people then!

I agree with the 14 yr old rule. I don't think younger kids should be allowed to roam the parks for many reasons. But I think ppl are still going to break that rule just like they do every other rule Disney sets out.

Wow, I am surprised by that! Maybe they are families who are very experienced travellers or spend a great deal of time within WDW. Certainly, we can only get there for a fortnight every few years so it wouldn't be something I would personally consider but I suppose some could consider it safer than a 14 year old getting transport in their local town etc.

Hope it doesn't upset too many people then!

It probably won't upset most people, just a certain set here on the Dis.

It's really not worth complaining about. If you're a parent and you really want to let your kid have freedom in the park, you walk in the turnstile with them, walk a little ways down main street, then say I'll pick you up in front in a few hours.

The problem will then be what happens when a kid under 14 tries to leave the park unattended. Shouldnt be hard unless the kid is a half wit to piggy back on another family departing though :cool1:

I think it was probably a bigger problem in Disneyland where there are a lot of locals. When I visited back in 2005, I remember seeing lots of groups of kids hanging out in the parks without adult supervision. It's like their parents let them hang out there after school or something. You don't really see that at WDW.

But I like the idea. People might complain, but it's a rule put in place for their own safety.

I'm not sure how they are going to know if my 13 year old is 13 or 14. But I don't send her all over Disney by herself, so it's a non-issue. But if we stay at the Grand Californian on our DLR trip in December, I'd be a little ticked that she couldn't run back into the resort to pick up a jacket or something we forgot. That resort is actually adjacent to the park with a park entrance.

Honestly, 14 seems too old in this situation. I would have made it 12, if at all. By 12, I would take public transportation in my hometown to go see movies with my friends or head to the mall or library. I was also babysitting other kids at that age.

We keep taking away responsibility from our children and then wonder why kids are less mature these days.

Honestly, 14 seems too old in this situation. I would have made it 12, if at all. By 12, I would take public transportation in my hometown to go see movies with my friends or head to the mall or library. I was also babysitting other kids at that age.

We keep taking away responsibility from our children and then wonder why kids are less mature these days.

I have to disagree with you a little on this one. I think kids are growing up way too fast. Six year olds talk on iPhones, now. 10-year-olds are wearing make-up. We had an issue a few years ago with 5th graders sending nude cell phone photos... 5th graders! When I was in 5th grade, boys still had cooties.

However, I do think that 12 or 13 would probably be more accurate. And it's ironic because Disney considers 10-year-olds "adults" when it comes to park tickets. I would argue that if they have to purchase an adult ticket, they should also be allowed to enter and exit the park by themselves.

Good. Yes, there are some younger children who could do quite well by themselves (though I don't think I'd let my child into WDW by himself, younger than 14), but there are many more who wouldn't.

However, I do think that 12 or 13 would probably be more accurate. And it's ironic because Disney considers 10-year-olds "adults" when it comes to park tickets. I would argue that if they have to purchase an adult ticket, they should also be allowed to enter and exit the park by themselves.

You have a point. If you're old enough to be told you have to buy an adult ticket...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter