Under 14? Cannot enter DL or WDW alone

I think that policy is insane- you are telling me my 13 year old 9th grade high schooler needs mommy or daddy with them to do to a theme park. She could take a train into NYC, take the subway with friends and manage to come home alive but Disney you need supervision at---insane LOL.
According to Disney's rules yep they need you at least in the same park. It is their rules so if we agree with them or not you have to follow them (or at least not out right say you won't on the boards).

When in Rome...... or don't go to Rome

IMO in today's world there are far too many, I'll do what I want, not what my host wants or expects because I'm special. :rolleyes:

I think that policy is insane- you are telling me my 13 year old 9th grade high schooler needs mommy or daddy with them to do to a theme park. She could take a train into NYC, take the subway with friends and manage to come home alive but Disney you need supervision at---insane LOL.
Disney probably figured if they set it at 14 to give them some wiggle room when guessing ages. If they let the borderline ones through at 14, it's better than letting the borderline ones through at 12.

I don't consider going to WDW alone as "openly breaking Disney policy." My DS11 is totally ready to roam Disney alone

I didn't know that "aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy." But I don't consider this much of a policy. Why can't I send my kid to the park while I'm resting in the hotel? Obviously I know my kid is smart and mature enough to do it or I wouldn't try it. I think Disney is just doing that to avoid certain weird situations, but 11 is old enough when my son's been going to Disney World every year since he was 4. It's just for a couple of hours while I rest, and to Hollywood Studios which I dislike, but he enjoys the roller coaster there. He will have cell phone with gps tracking, water bottle, rain coat. And he wants to enjoy some independence, something he can't do at home.

I haven't been able to find any rule for DIS saying that we can't talk about how to get around Disney policy. I'm pretty sure suggesting something patently illegal (like trespassing in restricted areas) might fall into a specific area, but talking about stuff on the margins is almost a staple here.

There's tons of discussion on topics of how the rules are actually enforced relative to the written rules. One of biggest topics on the Disneyland board is about their published policy that outside food or beverage isn't allowed. Anyone who has been there enough times knows what the unofficial policy is. As long as you don't have a picnic spread (or separate sandwich fixings) and keep it quiet they don't particularly care. I've brought in canned beverages and even stuff from McDonald's and was never given any indication that anyone would do anything about it. I've dropped outside food and even spilled a can of Coke and either got it back quickly or a CM said it was no problem and it would be cleaned up.

In any case, there's no indication that a parent walking in a child is required to always be with that child. As long as the kid behaves there's not likely to be any problem.

I barely let the kids go off on their own at 14 with me IN the parks with them! I remember it was a huge deal for them to be able to go get in line and go on a ride without us, even though we were at the restaurant getting a coffee and waiting for them. I can't remember the ages, maybe they were around 11 or 12.

Now, one of my kids has special needs and I was a bit more careful about letting him go off places, some may say I am still too cautious with this particular child, but whatever, I am the parent.

I haven't been able to find any rule for DIS saying that we can't talk about how to get around Disney policy. I'm pretty sure suggesting something patently illegal (like trespassing in restricted areas) might fall into a specific area, but talking about stuff on the margins is almost a staple here.

There's tons of discussion on topics of how the rules are actually enforced relative to the written rules. One of biggest topics on the Disneyland board is about their published policy that outside food or beverage isn't allowed. Anyone who has been there enough times knows what the unofficial policy is. As long as you don't have a picnic spread (or separate sandwich fixings) and keep it quiet they don't particularly care. I've brought in canned beverages and even stuff from McDonald's and was never given any indication that anyone would do anything about it. I've dropped outside food and even spilled a can of Coke and either got it back quickly or a CM said it was no problem and it would be cleaned up.

In any case, there's no indication that a parent walking in a child is required to always be with that child. As long as the kid behaves there's not likely to be any problem.

I believe it is a rule moderators enforce and thus falls under the moderators have the last say clause of the posting guidelines. Just like you can't give a "script" for DAS anywhere on the board even though it is not outright called out in the posting guidelines as it is a rule the moderators have begun enforcing to protect the relationship the Dis owners have with Disney.

I believe it is a rule moderators enforce and thus falls under the moderators have the last say clause of the posting guidelines. Just like you can't give a "script" for DAS anywhere on the board even though it is not outright called out in the posting guidelines as it is a rule the moderators have begun enforcing to protect the relationship the Dis owners have with Disney.

I get the idea that they can do anything they want, but again discussing stuff on the margins of rules seems to be a staple of discussions around here.

In almost all cases where a business has an official policy, there's selective enforcement as well as a wink and a nudge. I guess it's more like "I know it when I see it" where it might be over a limit.

In almost all cases where a business has an official policy, there's selective enforcement as well as a wink and a nudge.

I think "in almost all cases" is a stretch. There are a lot of businesses in the world.

Yes, I have seen moderators warn posters many times that posting about how to violate Disney rules is not allowed.

I get the idea that they can do anything they want, but again discussing stuff on the margins of rules seems to be a staple of discussions around here.

In almost all cases where a business has an official policy, there's selective enforcement as well as a wink and a nudge. I guess it's more like "I know it when I see it" where it might be over a limit.

If Disney catches a kid in this case mom and dad are called to get the kiddo. Letting a child who is known to be under 14 to continue to be in the park is a safety violatiom as per Disney training (I know I did the training) and since safety is #1 it goes straight to a reprimand. Most CMs won't knowingly let a kid slipt that police.

So are kids going to have to carry their birth certificate? Honestly, how will this be enforced? My 17 year old daughter looks younger than 14 without makeup and with her hair in a ponyponytail.
At 17, does(n't) she have a kID that she normally carries anyway? But as indicated above somewhere, stating her age if questioned should be effective.
I also think 12 is a more reasonable age.
The venue owner apparently thinks 14 is a more reasonable age.
Before this rule went into affect there was a massive problem at WDW and DL of parents using Disney as a baby sitter especially in the summer.
More DLR, just because it's so much more accessible by bus, foot, bicycle...
I didn't know that "aren't suppose to talk about openly breaking Disney's policy." But I don't consider this much of a policy. Why can't I send my kid to the park while I'm resting in the hotel
The park owners have determined that your child is too young to enter the parks without a parent/guardian. Or stranger, given that's not one of the person's listed.
Guests who feel the policy is ridiculous are able/free to accompany the child, or wait to visit until the child reaches an age that allows them to enter without an adult.

Guests who feel the policy is ridiculous are able/free to accompany the child, or wait to visit until the child reaches an age that allows them to enter without an adult.

The basic rule is that someone at least 14 enter the park with the child. There's no policy that once in the child can't wander alone or perhaps as a group of kids under 14. So for the case where the parents bought an annual pass to allow it, there's nothing preventing the parent from also buying an annual pass and walking in with the kid then going to work or any place else.

If they find a kid under 14 wreacking havoc, then that's the individual behavior that needs to be addressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter