"um, let's just get a fas' pass for it!" (photopass pix pg 5)

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
Well, I'm still typing things in my trip report from September. But here I am, started a December report. :)

I'm Molly, DH is Robert, DS is Eamon and he's 3. He's *this* much shy of 40", which was frustrating in September. I'm trying to make sure he eats loads of nutritious food so he can get to 41 by December, so he can go on Star Tours. :)

In September we got APs, and even though officially we have already gotten our money's worth from them, they will have even MORE value the more we go. Oh man I can justify anything.:rotfl:

Because we went in September, we missed our annual trip to visit my brother in San Diego, so this trip will also give us a chance for that visit. Well, that visit will be just me and Eamon, because Robert is starting a new job at a new company next Monday! So...no saved up time off, no comp time earned over Thanksgiving like we had planned for December, and no 4 day work-week giving him a 3 day weekend like his current job. So the San Diego portion will be just me and the boy-o.

But DH will fly down at some point for a weekend at Disneyland!

The timing isn't quite determined, as we're not 100% of his new work schedule once he is trained, or if he's going to be working 7 days a week (holidays at amazon.com, though he's in management this time instead of customer service (we both worked CS at amazon in its heydays, and that is actually where we met!)).

I'm not sharing the hotel I have chosen until I have booked it. It's not one that gets much mention here, but on one of the other two disney fan forums I'm part of, it has gotten good reviews. But it's small. So my lips are sealed. :rolleyes1

Of course we'd love to do an onsite hotel, if only for the EE. But even if we felt like paying the AP4 rates (slight nudge could convince us), there are no rooms available at this time with AP4 for the weekend of the 7th through 9th. :upsidedow In fact, when I called the other day, the only thing available at DLH was a $450 room. bwa ha ha. Not going to happen.

You'd think that we would have had a chance to do everything on our last trip. I mean, we were at the parks for 6.5 days! But, you'd be wrong if you thought that. We were a bit more commando-style than I had intended, but even with that, we didn't get "everything". Especially not DCA, I feel we barely scratched the surface there.

But this trip can't encompass everything PLUS the stuff we missed, so we've started a page of notes on things we want to do that we missed the last time.

It seems very, um, food-intensive. Foods/places on our list:

Carnation Cafe, if only to get the peanut butter and jelly palette thing they have on the kid's menu.

Blue Bayou for dessert (we did lunch there in Sept and it just wasn't good enough to get an entree again, especially since there's only one vegetarian menu item).

Royal Street Veranda for vegetarian gumbo in a breadbowl. (DH missed out in Sept and is still annoyed at that even though it was his own choice).

Pacific Wharf for vegetarian chili in a breadbowl.

Cafe Orleans for Mickey beignets (we had Creole Cafe beignets in Sept and they were awful, so we're giving these a shot).

Mickey bar...even though they might very well have high fructose corn syrup (big no no for DS), it's something we promised DS (before realizing his problem with HFCS), but we forgot about them in September, and he is still talking about that broken promise. So we'll all have one and if he flips out, it will be easy in the future to remind him what happens when he has one. At some point I'm also going to ask someone what the ingredients are...

Activities:

We also simply must go to the Yule activities over at Big Thunder Ranch. We loved the Halloweentime things they had over there, and it seems the December stuff will be fun as well.

See Aladdin.

Unless the Snow White thing is still going on in the building, take part in the Animation lesson.

Innoventions, just so I know what the heck it is!

Ride on a Main Street vehicle.

Sailing Ship Columbia

Mark Twain Riverboat.

Tiki Room.

Rides:

CA Screamin' for Robert

Haunted Mansion for all of us

Sun Wheel, stationary 'car'

Gadget's Go Coaster (DS says..."Mowy, you and Papa go on the Yeti rowercoaster, and Mowy and Eamon go on the little rower coaster that makes my tummy funny again)

Star Tours (if DS is tall enough we'll all go, otherwise I simply must go on while DH takes DS on Buzz over and over, b/c I had never been on ST until last trip and it was the BEST!)

Small World, first time with holiday overlay for us.

Tea Party, Pooh, Roger Rabbit, Buzz, Autopia for Eamon.

And of course the other stuff if we can squeeze it in.

You can see right there that this plan has NO chance of being accomplished, especially if we only have Saturday and Sunday. But dangit, we're going to TRY!

Just a little "aside", which only relates to our December trip b/c it involves our "lodging" for the non-Disney portion...but my brother's house is a hop, skip, and a jump from the fire perimeter!!! :sad1:

I've been refreshing that google map of the fires, and I've been watching it get closer and closer and closer...seems to be moving more slowly, and that is good, but I am just so worried.

They voluntarily evacuated about 24 hours ago, so that's good, but their house is lovely and I don't want them to have to start over. They only built it a few years ago!

So can someone please make those fires just stop? I'd appreciate it!

teehee. DS and DH are watching Mickey's ClubHouse while I'm typing, DH noticed I had a concerned/sad expression on my face, and told DS to give me a hug. DS corrected DH's whisper, and said "no, I give the Princess a hug!" And he did. Aw....

Maybe in December, whether or not there's a San Diego portion of our trip, DS will actually deign to meet a princess.:upsidedow

OK, everything was put on hold for awhile while I worried myself into insomnia about my brother and SIL. Their voluntary evacuation was over after only 24 hours, but the google map brother sent me showed fire Right There...I thought he had lost his mind for a few days.

But he's sent me enough different maps showing the truth of his area, and I can breathe again, knowing that he's not standing in the face of an inferno, with a hose pointed at it, so I can start thinking about visiting him in December.

Which means I can think about Disneyland in December, too.

Obviously I have not gotten a hotel room yet. And now, with DH starting his new job on Monday, at which time he might be able to find out what his future schedule will be...I might just wait until after that.

And then I will go back and find NOTHING available...:rolleyes: :upsidedow

And that is the extent of this post.

Jealous much??

Why can't I be planning several trips a year and have an annual pass and other stuff like that!?! Oh right, because I'm in Oz... Damn... :sad2: One day I'll convince them to build a Disneyland not far from here... Then everything will be alright. Either that, or I'll have to get stinking rich and get my own private jet, just for trips over on the weekend... Yeah... :lmao:

Ok, back to you... It's all very exciting! I don't think I could ever go in December, my trip isn't until March and the excitement has already overshadowed Christmas.

So you're only planning a short trip this time? What a bum! I spose it's still Disney, so it's all ok, but still! What a bum!

So come on, what hotel are you planning on staying at?? I'm really curious. I'm staying at the Park Vue Inn, it's cheap - and probably nasty - but it's right there at the entrance. It got pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor, so I've convinced myself it will be fine.

Oh man, you're in Australia, talk about being jealous!!!....we could trade, you know! You can live here and go to DL more often, and I'll live down there with opposite seasons and it will be good.

I'm actually re-thinking the hotel. Might stick with tried and true HoJo even though I can't get an Entertainment Book rate, or maybe Tropicana...I feel idiotic even saying the hotel's name since I've never even seen it *mentioned* here (but over at the other word for "small rodent like Mickey" + other word for "world" dot com, it's mentioned by some trusted-by-me people), but I was thinking of the Alpine Inn. A bit of a trek to the park, as it is over by Candy Cane Inn (but further, I think), but that's OK, if it's an OK hotel.

Yes, a shorter trip. The main point of going to CA is to see my brother, and he and his wife have NO interest in more than one day at DL (weird, I know!), so the bulk of the time will be in San Diego. Which isn't bad, I like it, and we'll go to SeaWorld and it won't be boiling like it was last year in October, and it will be a nice visit. Anyway, so sneaking in the few days at DL feels like cheating on my brother and SIL, ha ha, but we just have to do it.

That is if we can get down there! I haven't flown in December for years and years, and I cannot believe the airfare. Of course, BecBennett you probably laugh at the concept of airfare being too much from WA to CA...that's pretty much the only reason we haven't visited your country, b/c of the cost of the flights! But to me, when I'm used $99 each way and am seeing $256 each way, gack! Lots.

Ok, back to you... It's all very exciting! I don't think I could ever go in December, my trip isn't until March and the excitement has already overshadowed Christmas.

About that...since we don't really celebrate Christmas (this year we're finally weaning ourselves off of opening presents on the 25th, and will instead do it on Yule which is either the 21st or 22nd) it's OK for us. I mean, don't get me wrong, we love the decorations and tree and most songs, and the whole ambiance...we just don't celebrate the "reason for the season", other than the more ancient reasons of winter starting, etc etc etc. And we have TRIED to keep the presents to a minimum, but have been forced to do something b/c of relatives and friends. We don't want DS to feel deprived.

However, tell that to my 3 year old, who has been snagging toy catalogs out of our junk mail piles, and going on and on about how much he wants "this one! and this one! and this one, too!" :scared:

Over the summer I was able to help him get to sleep at night by saying "the faster you fall asleep, the faster you can dream about our trip to Disneyland"...but now I start with "the faster you fall asleep, the faster you can dream about"...and he yells "presents!!! kissmiss! oool!" and it gets him all excited again. :rolleyes:

About that...since we don't really celebrate Christmas (this year we're finally weaning ourselves off of opening presents on the 25th, and will instead do it on Yule which is either the 21st or 22nd) it's OK for us. I mean, don't get me wrong, we love the decorations and tree and most songs, and the whole ambiance...we just don't celebrate the "reason for the season", other than the more ancient reasons of winter starting, etc etc etc.

Oh yay! someone else! For our families sake, we say make it there on Christmas and do things their way. However, between DH, myself, and our friends we're more of a Yule crowd. We tend to extend the celebrations over a couple of weeks. Personally, I think it makes for much more fun.

Oh yay! someone else! For our families sake, we say make it there on Christmas and do things their way. However, between DH, myself, and our friends we're more of a Yule crowd. We tend to extend the celebrations over a couple of weeks. Personally, I think it makes for much more fun.

Yep. :) When my mom was alive, she liked celebrating Hanukah as well, though actually the Yule stuff disappeared after she married my stepdad (he's a bit, ha ha, fundamentalist, won't read Harry Potter or listen to attempts to explain it, that sort of thing). Anyway it made for a long season. :)

And I can't ever give up the tree, no matter what I call it, because I inherited all of her ornaments. :upsidedow

Yep. :) When my mom was alive, she liked celebrating Hanukah as well, though actually the Yule stuff disappeared after she married my stepdad (he's a bit, ha ha, fundamentalist, won't read Harry Potter or listen to attempts to explain it, that sort of thing). Anyway it made for a long season. :)

And I can't ever give up the tree, no matter what I call it, because I inherited all of her ornaments. :upsidedow

A couple of years ago I had a great conversation with my good friend's boyfriend (she's Buddhist-Caucasion, he's athiest-Jewish), they were having a hard time reconcilling her need to keep ties to her heritage by keeping alot of the Christmas traditions. He was having a hard time seeing that that was the same thing to her as his keeping of Jewish traditions despite his not embracing the beliefs.

The tree, the stockings, the lights... they're some of the few traditions that I still share with my family (they're Fundamentalist). I value that bit of connection, even if they're seeing it as the birth of Christ and I'm seeing it as a current day way of celebrating something that has been recognized by all peoples for millinnia.

(I talk quite a bit, but it does all come around to the trip planning, I promise!)

The tree, the stockings, the lights... they're some of the few traditions that I still share with my family (they're Fundamentalist). I value that bit of connection, even if they're seeing it as the birth of Christ and I'm seeing it as a current day way of celebrating something that has been recognized by all peoples for millinnia.

If my mom were around still I could probably be more sentimental, or more, hmm, something about it...I mean I'm sentimental b/c it's something I did in my past. DH's past was a bit more confused, as his dad was Navy/Merchant Marines/shipping business and so was only around half of the time growing up, and his mom is Korean, and Buddhist, and so tried to adopt American traditions , but b/c her hubby wasn't THERE much of the time, it all got a bit confuzzled. But it's hard for me to respect my stepdad's beliefs, or rather, it's hard to respect my stepdad (I have other friends who have his beliefs and I respect THEM, but they behave differently than he does). He's just so obnoxious about it all.

DH and I, and when I say "DH and" I mean "I", worked on our wedding vows like you would not BELIEVE, so that we wouldn't offend anyone (read=stepdad). And my stepdad and his then new wife (married 10 days before the 3rd anniversary of my mom's death) didn't come to the rehearsal dinner b/c they were off finding a church to go to the next morning (wedding was on a Sunday b/c that was the day the cake lady had free as well as the photographer) and they didn't tell me they were doing that ahead of time. Despite being angry with stepdad for the whole new wife thing (there's lots of backstory) and not liking HER much but keeping those feelings all under wraps and inside, I ordered flowers for her, so she would have the same flowers as my mom's sister and my stepmom, and then she didn't come to the wedding or reception because she was afraid of bees (note: my MOM was allergic to bees as well and you could not have kept her from it...she would have surrounded herself with epipens and kept them in the coolers that I offered to have on hand for the stepdad's wife), even though I had called and THEY had called the site manager to ask when they had last sprayed (very very recently). They didn't tell me about THAT, either, until I was dancing with stepdad at reception and said "so where's Linda?" I never send them emails about religion or politics, but I had to nearly threaten my stepbrother with physical harm if he didn't STOP sending me highly offensive (nastily religious AND offensive against "foreigners", which would encompass DH's family thank you very much...the one about North Korea being the axis of evil is what sent me over the edge b/c DH has distant relatives still stuck there), and they all continue to forward easily googled or snope'd "forwards" spewing fervent untruths (I don't think their browsers go to snopes, b/c I remind them each time they send me something ridiculous, but they keep on forwarding stuff!). It goes on and on.

I once had to pull the "this is MY house and in MY house we believe in" card b/c he was becoming so offensive about some show about lemurs or some such thing (evolution was mentioned). And that was when my mom was still alive! He's gotten more "out there" since then.

I could be more understanding, perhaps the word is, if it weren't for his total lack of understanding that there are others in the universe who might not believe in what he believes in...then again, he still doesn't understand how close I was to homicide at my mom's funeral, when the pastor who had met my mom ONCE was going on and on about his and my stepdad's beliefs about heaven and who gets to go there...not my MOM's beliefs (she still meditated on the word the Maharishi Yogi gave her in the 70s, and she had Buddhas around the house, and believed in reincarnation AND Jesus AND some form of heaven/nirvana that encompassed it all), not mine or my brother's beliefs...just their own...that pastor nearly bit the dust that day but I was just too dang tired from crying for 4 days straight...

So, well, we don't share these December traditions b/c he's across the country, but even if we were around each other I'd have a hard time really feeling cuddly about it around them, b/c we just don't have a meeting of minds at all.

But we still do the things b/c it's fun, I guess!

Hence, the December trip to see the pretty tree and the lights and meet "Santa" and all (my mom didn't do the Santa thing either, except as a very obvious Myth, b/c I was a skittish child o' divorce who wouldn't have appreciated the thought of a strange man breaking into our house...), while having oodles of fun at Disneyland!

Back on track! (I talk a bit more, but really, I get to the point)

It's insanely late, I should be in bed! DH starts his new job tomorrow, er, today, at the company he and I were both working at when we met. :) It's very exciting, and I'm super-jealous of him, and am thinking of making a badge and lanyard for myself, and having some sort of training...perhaps once DS and I are up in the morning I should go outside then knock and have DS let me in, so I can "punch in" as his daycare provider (and chef, and amuser, and teacher, and nutritionist, and and and)...might be amusing! I don't want to work outside the home, but I'm dreadfully jealous of DH going back to amazon when I am not.

See, neither one of us ever wanted to leave, but DH was laid off along with all of Seattle customer service back in '01, the day after he proposed. And I was forced out in late '02 by an eeeee-vil boss who was trying to make me insane, but I wasn't allowed to leave his team b/c everyone else already had...I literally had to take time off for my mental health (what's that unpaid leave that you take for health crises and new babies joining the family? I had to take that leave) before I finally decided, after two hikes up at Rainier, that I had to go. But when clearing out my emails while preparing to take that leave, I had forwarded-to-my-hotmail and printed out all of my boss's nasty, snarky, unprofessional emails from the last 1.5 years, including the nasty "joke" he had made about 9/11 on the anniversary of it, and after the holidays, HE was fired. Yay. Never underestimate the power of the Exit Interview, and telling the absolute truth when the HR rep asks why you are leaving.... Neither one of us wanted to leave, both of us were forced to leave...it's been really sad, even though DH has had some great opportunities since then and has learned a ton (he's going back to amazon with a salary almost 3 times as much as he was making back in '01, with no extra schooling), and I'm happy here with DS.

And this relates to this TRIP because he will, maybe, be able to find out about his December schedule, to see if there is a time he might be able to run away on a weekend, or if he will be working over weekends and have days in the middle, etc etc etc. That will then allow us to schedule our TRIP.

Which will then allow me to make a reservation at Alpine Inn, or HoJos (remembered today that they have an AP discount link through laughing place or something like that...I googled it), or Tropicana (right across the street! breakfast!) or call right after someone cancels an AP4 conceirge ressie at PP so I can snag it.... Or we'll win the lottery and I'll lose my ever-loving mind and see if a suite at the DLH for $775 is still available (someone mentioned that in a funny thread the other day).

And that will start me moving forward, continuing, planning this TRIP. So I can REPORT on it.

Aw crud, it's 2:30 and I gotta throw DH's pants in the dryer! Can't send him off to his first day of kindergart...er, training, with wet pants! Amazon is so funny....they state over and over in their interview and orientation info...you will not impress anyone if you wear a suit, we are a casual working environment. :)

Man I wanna go to DL this weekend. Stinkin' airfares ruining my attempt at spontaneity. Sigh.

(read over post 18 times, edited out stuff that might not be cool, trying not to offend while I talk about my stepdad who offends me, LOL...this board really needs JOURNALS, lol...it's now 3, took me that long to re-re-re-read)

You know, we should have drinks sometime and complain about parents/step-dads with v. different views than our own. That's the PC way of putting it, right? hahaha. *sigh* My therapist says I need to let go of my anger.

Well, you defiently deserve another DL trip! Just look for the token menorah on Main Street.

Ah, therapy....good stuff! :)

Today I've been a bump on a log, not doing much, b/c I'm trying to figure out if I really really CAN join the group of Dis'ers on a "ladies only" trip in the spring. It's being discussed on the main Disneyland forum here. DH would have to take time off of work, to go nowhere, which doesn't really seem fair to me, but he seems to be all for it. They made cookies today, and only needed me to find a recipe that matched what we had, and then read the recipe to him. You don't find many women making cookies by ignoring their beloved Kitchen Aid stand mixer, to use a hand-held mixer thing in a bowl, sitting on the living room floor with nothing under them but the carpet, do you? Eh, they were good. I told DH he now has a cookie speciality. :) (Butter Blitzes, from the Betty Crocker wedding edition cookbook)

Part of what I was doing while trying to convince them I'm not here is making airline and hotel reservations for December.

Used most of our SW credit to get the three of us down to LAX late at night.

Will need to get transportation to the motel.

Also will need to get DH back up to Seattle, so he can work, the poor guy. I'm hoping his new boss will say "aw, take an extra day". :)

Though that might mess up the hotel. I've chosen HoJo again, and have a combo of a room for 3 of us for two days, and 2 of us for one day, using the AP rate through mousesavers. We actually like one king bed, b/c that's our family bed at home, but hotels tend to frown on 3 people in a one-bed room with no rollaway...then DS and I could have just stayed in the 2 Queen room, but I don't like having an extra bed. It confuses me. :) Plus, it could end up being the same room that I booked for our last day, Monday, which I got at the Entertainment Book rate.

So now I have to get another Entertainment Book, as soon as I can. I like ordering it through Sunshine Rewards, so I can get $ back on it, but that does mean I have to order it, so that has to be done relatively quickly.

DH will have to leave Sat night, poor guy. So we have to see both the parade and fireworks on Friday, basically. Good to have a plan!

I figure that my brother and SIL will wish to join me on Monday, and then DS and I can go to San Diego with them. If they can't come up on Monday, then DS and I will just Surfliner it down to SD and they can pick us up there. Not sure how long we will stay down there. If they can't come up on that Monday, they DO want to see DL while the holiday lights are up, so DS and I would likely get ANOTHER trip there. Whee!

And then go home at some point, for whatever Yule festivities we feel like doing.

I gotta research ways to get from LAX to HoJo now...DH and DS are down in the "movie room" of the apartment building, watching Sleeping Beauty (our VHS isn't hooked up but that's all the library had!), so that our son can be as indoctrinated in the whole "someday my prince will come" thing as girls are, so that he can BE the prince (assuming he is inclined towards princesses, of course).

What's the best way to get a Ding! fare?

Yep, book a flight the day before. :confused:

No, it's no problem to cancel and re-book, for the Exact Same Flight, but it's just a pain.

And they only let you use 2 unused ticketless travel funds, or whatever it's called.

So now I have 6. 3 with 28.98 each, and 3 with 8 each. grr.

But since their system took a confirmation number of almost 75 and then 45 off another confirmation of 75, and then turned THAT flight into one funds "pool" of 119.80....then maybe I should look around for flights that are a combo of my vouchers, book those, then cancel them, resulting in a bigger travel fund.

That makes NO sense when written out.

I think it would work though.

If I can lump them together, I would be a dollar away from getting DH home from LAX, though.

OK, there's no way to do that easily. Or at all. Mainly b/c there are really no flights that cost, total, only 57.96, which is where I would want to start from, with two 28+ unused funds.

Later on I'll call, see if they can do it. Not now, was up until forever having a stupid stupid argument with the grown male in the household...very very frustrating, b/c as always, our "arguments" do not have two sides, it's just two dingleberries "arguing" some tiny fine line of who said what/who meant what/when/why/when did you think that/why didn't you say that blah blah blah.

Compounded by the time change.

I'm exhausted.

And now I have 2000 confirmation numbers, cancellation numbers, and of course those also become "unused ticketless travel fund" confirmation numbers as well. I'm swimming in numbers!

I've booked and rebooked several times since I last posted. SW is nuts. :)

I've also switched us from HoJo over to Anabella through Travelocity, b/c I got it cheaper, don't have to buy the Entertainment Book right now, and I'm intrigued by the Anabella.

DH's boss heard him talking about how he was going down for his weekend, but our son and I are going down 1.5 days before, then staying after and going to visit my brother for over a week, and even though DH doesn't really qualify, is giving DH a day of vacation. Nice, huh? Holiday vacation blackout period, and brand new employee...good boss! One day is tiny, but it's better than no day!

DS and I moved our trip up a day, so we'll be leaving one morning, DH will drop us off then go to a park and ride and catch the Sounder train. Then the following evening he'll take transit all the way to work, then transit to the airport after work, and join us. We'll have Friday and Saturday, then Sunday if all goes well my brother and sister in law will join us. Dh will have to leave at around 4 to catch his flight back (sniffle), and once the rest of us are ready to go, we'll go down for the brother-visit portion of the trip. Alas, DH will be working away.

Today I cashed out for a $50 Disney gift certificate through sunshinerewards, which will be nice to have, and also redeemed some credits for two movie tickets. DH loves going to see movies, and he HATES it when we are gone...he tends to sleep on the couch and watch movies until an hour before he has to get up. I am hoping that the ability to get out of the house at least twice will tire him out (similar to a 3 year old, it occurs to me) and he'll be able to bring himself to sleep IN BED.

Can you believe that I have made NO PSs? And I want to do so! I just can't bring myself to figure out where to have a breakfast, and when to have a bite at Blue Bayou (we loved the atmosphere and want to try dessert this time). I really have to do so tomorrow.

But this last month has been nutty. After he got the new job and put in his two weeks notice, he was working as hard as he could. Then he went straight from working his old job schedule (4 10 hour days), and the next day started a 5 day week of training. He did have a two day weekend, but the next week he trained M-F, had Sat off, then started his new shift of Sun through Thurs, so only one day off then. And of course all this means only tiny amounts "off" for me, and I'm exhausted! Compounding that is the natural change of DS dropping his naps. It was a mutual decision of the three of us, though we were heavily following DS's lead on it, and it's worked out well for his nighttime sleep, but I didn't realize how I was relying on those afternoon breaks!

But now he's on a two day weekend, and of course next week he gets Thursday off and then his usual weekend, so THAT will be nice!

Well, until Sunday evening when his mom is having a death anniversary delayed wake sort of thing (Korean tradition) for his dad, who died last year Nov 26...that will be weird-o-rama. And she is JUST telling us about this, without any sort of true warning (you can't anticipate or assume with her, she will always prove you wrong), and a celebration of his life is difficult, just as difficult as it was at his Buddhist wake thing last January...he wasn't the nicest of fellows, and while his good was good, his bad FAR outweighed his good. So much so that Dh and his older brother were in the back of the temple whispering that their dad was probably coming back first as a cockroach (note: Korean Buddhism doesn't really believe in cross-species reincarnation), while their mom and sister were up at the front keening and nearly tearing their clothes, going on about how it's time for nirvana. Two very very different views of the same man.

We would have tried for DL around this time, to avoid the whole Thanksgiving thing, but DH decided he needed to make sure he was around for his mom, and then for his mom to spring this this huge thing on him is very hard on him

DL will be nice to go to shortly after.

Also, it was last year's DL/San Diego trip that was so rudely interrupted by DH having to rush home after his father went into the hospital. I know that part of DH wants to spend the whole vacay with us, but another part of him would be jumpy the whole time, scared that he was going to be called away for someone else. Poor DH, so new in his grief. Old grief is still rough, rougher in some ways (it's been longer since you've seen the person, more time to realize that this is the new Normal), but you get more time between the rough spots (my mom died March 11, 2000...DH and I met October 5th of that year...our entire relationship has been "through" my grief, and he's only NOW realizing what our first months must have been like for me, especially meeting his mother who tried to make me cry about my mother, on our first meeting). Anyway, I think there's a big part of him that is glad he won't be there.

I'm ordering a new camera soon. Maybe tonight after I post this. Er, this morning. I wanted to wait until after Thanksgiving, just in case someone decides to put it on sale, but then it doesn't have time to GET to me. I managed to lose the digital Olympus we got last year when MIL said she didn't need it, and I cannot for the life of me find my film Olympus (both simple point and shoots), and since I have had a camera in hand since I was 16, this is an awful situation for me. No camera, how do people live?

A few years ago a friend of mine took me up on an offer I made, to arrange (chronologically) her photos and place them into simple albums. Her DD was 6, and the pictures started before the DD was even born. My friend's pictures only filled TWO albums. I cannot even fathom that. I take many, many pictures, and arrange them chronologically in albums (I've only last year started to keep the fuzzy, bad, almost-duplicate pictures out...before that, if I took it, it was printed and put in the album), and this gap of weeks while we scoured the house has been ridiculously long for me.

More later!

Made lunchtime PS for Blue Bayou, and latest breakfast PS for Storyteller's.

DH was given an extra day, so now he'll be going back home on Sunday, the same day that my brother and SIL will join us, so they can take me and DS to San Diego. yay!

I'm so glad DH has that extra day. It was getting really stressful, trying to figure out how he could see all the shows, parades, fireworks in Friday and half-day Saturday, along with riding ANY rides! Now he has one full extra day.

I shall be turning this into a trip report as soon as I can. :)

We spent 9 days after DL down in San Diego, and for some bizarre reason I didn't take my computer! :confused3 So we are finally home, and I'm hoping to get all my thoughts down as soon as I can.

But overall....Anabella Hotel was close enough, but too dang far with a 3 year old and NO STROLLER. I really must learn to slow myself down, or take solo trips, b/c I have a funny feeling that I was kinda making my kiddo a tiny bit miserable some parts of some days. :scared: I want to go back. It gets surprisingly cold in southern CA, even if you've lived in western WA for 10 years. Good trip. Want to go back already.

I'll start a bit. Not sure I'll actually get us TO Disneyland, b/c I'm getting tired...

I have traveled quite a bit in my life, starting when I was 17. The last couple years have been a bit sparse, but before that, I flew lots and lots. Never had a flight delayed or canceled.

Until December 5th. My early AM flight was delayed delayed delayed...my 3 year old was tired, I was carrying my carry-on + smaller personal item, as well as DS's little backpack, plus the carseat + carrying bag for it. Couldn't go anywhere without hauling all of that, for fear of it being considered abandoned luggage... I could hear every announcement in the gate area, except for the ones being generated by the people AT my gate. So all I got from "my" announcements was that there was fog in Sacramento, so it was delayed and delayed some more.

At last they said, basically, "well, since it's been half an hour, and since those of you going to Ontario only had an hour between this flight landing and your next flight leaving, you'll need to go over to THAT desk to get a new flight."

So we went. And found out that there was no dreadful fog, but that Sac'to's weather-info system was wonky, so they had no way of KNOWING how much fog there was (guess the control tower doesn't have windows, or something?), which is why it was closed to flights.

Had the most uncommunicative employee, ever. And compared to the usual Southwest employee, that means he came across as downright surly! I was trying to chat and figure out what was going on, but he just stared at his computer. I knew there was a flight to San Jose at the gate right there, but when it was 5 minutes from leaving I said "ha ha, well, I guess we won't be on THAT flight!" And then 3 minutes later he handed me boarding passes to THAT flight. :eek:

So we had to haul, erm, behind (difficult with a recalcitrant 3 year old), I had to find a spot (relatively easy, as there were only 60 of us total on the flight), install carseat, blah blah blah. Up in the air, peanuts and coffee, down into San Jose. Get off plane, walk a few gates down, get on plane. Up in the air, peanuts and more coffee, down into Ontario. Only interesting part of it was that DS's ears hurt this time, on both descents. I didn't expect that! It's never happened with him before, and I was unprepared for it. He did like it when his ears "popped", though; it almost made the pain worth having that neat feeling.

Flying into Ontario was about $100 per person cheaper than going into SNA. Getting Super Shuttle was $51 plus tip for me and DS, then another $41 plus tip, each way, for DH (he flew in and out separately from us). Ultimately we saved money going through Ontario. But it wasn't worth it. Just too far away. Next time, I'll plan better for SNA, I'll save longer, I'll do whatever...time at DL vs time in a shuttle is worth FAR more than the money we saved.

Got to Ontario, got ALL my bags, got outside and were set to cross the little street to get SuperShuttle when....DS had to use the bathroom. I almost cried, I was sooo tired by then. I was right next to a SmartCarte thing, so I threw my debit card at it to pay $3 for less than an hour's use of the thing, and it was worth it. Put the bags on it, DS insisted on riding on it (totally unsafe but at that point I let him), went to the bathrooms, he did his business, and we went back out to the shuttle area.

Uhoh, it's...hot? Now, remember, this was the 5th. The week before, people had been complaining of the bitter cold, the rain, the weather...I had planned for THAT. Not for hot! I was wearing all black! And worst of all, I had forgotten to bring sunscreen.

Got on the shuttle, had a weird time as the guy drove, talked on the phone in the earbud, the phone on the dash, and there was a third phone, all while texting on the phone on the dash. Again, while driving. We drove around the airport, and even before I realized it, DS asked why we were going BACK to the airport. I guess he wanted to see if there were more customers...kinda annoyed me. I pre-paid the tip, I had a reservation, and despite the delay I kept them informed of my timing...I felt that he should have just GONE. Got on the road, and I tried to ignore his extreme multi-tasking and wondered what would happen to the shuttle drivers once all the states get anti-texting-while-driving laws like WA is about to start.

Got to the Anabella! DS had been asleep only 15 minutes. Poor thing. And poor me, too, b/c he'll take 15 minutes and pretend it's a full nap...

I got the Anabella for a nice rate through Travelocity (through SunshineRewards so I got some nice credits back, yay). It's so pretty! I love the archway over the entry, I love the look of the check-in area. Big squishy couches, a fireplace, it was nice.

We had a first floor room, which looked kinda "bleah" from the outside, but the first floor rooms have wood floors, and it turns out I love that in a hotel/motel!!! Even at the Westin, I'll never look at a carpeted hotel/motel room the same way again. I felt like the floors were CLEAN. I wasn't afraid of walking barefoot on it. And it was pretty.

I just liked everything about our stay at the Anabella, except that their keycards are very sensitive, and I demagnetized three keycards in 4 nights. It just didn't like the digital camera and cellphone it was being carried next to, poor thing.

We didn't get to use the pool, or even SEE the main pool (walked past the pretty adult's only pool on the way to/from our room, though).

DH used the laundry room, and didn't come back talking about how horrible it was, so I assume it was fine.

The bellhop guys are super-sweet, especially Ken and Scott.

Their restaurant, Tangerine, had a fairly good peach cobbler that I got "to go". It was nice that they did "to go", rather than making you go through "room service" (like Paradise Pier did), b/c it made me feel like I had choices, and that they didn't feel the need to nickel and dime me. A couple days later DH went by and got me a "to go" drink from Tangerine, the Bella, which has something like 4 different rums in it. It was lovely. I hadn't had a drink with liquor in it in AGES.

CoCo's is right nearby, and we got to go from there too, one night. Excellent veggie burger, they give a nice big soda, and they have a cute kid's menu that DS enjoyed. They also have pies and cakes. They were a bit forgetful with my order, but I just reminded them and they apologized and got what I reminded them of, no one felt the need to check my bill to make sure that I was telling the truth.

Well that's the discussion of the Anabella Hotel, a place I would stay again (but only if I bring my stroller for those relatively long walks to and from!). Any questions about that, I'm happy to answer if I can.

But we'll have to wait to find out if I convinced DS to nap more, or if we just went gung ho to Disneyland...bet you can guess which one we did, though...

Well, of course we went to Disneyland as soon as I could wash my face, change our clothes, and get out the door. :)

We walked out the main hotel doors (which were opened by Ken and friends), went left on the sidewalk, crossed the street (man that's a long crosswalk!), walked down past Paradise Pier Hotel, turned right into Grand Californian Hotel, went in the pretty doors, made an almost immediate left down that long, poorly marked hallway...which ultimately led us out to DTD, and a hop skip and jump to the bag check!

I wrote all that for anyone who might not know that way. And considering how every single day we helped some lost family find their way to the parks without having to go ALL the way through DTD, I'm sure there are people out there!

The first walk I nearly cried when I saw that easy way. When we were at PPH last September, we followed their handy-seeming signs, went out the back, near the parking garage, past DLH, and ALL the way through DTD. Every day. Ugh.

This shorter way was so much nicer.

And we got to see palm trees.
IMG_0078.jpg

However, I won't ever do that with a little kid again, if I don't have a stroller. If for some reason we have to go without a stroller, we'll just shell out for ART.

We got dropped off at the Anabella at 2:09, and the time on the receipt for waters at that water and fruit cart on main street is 3:13. So it's not far away, not really, at all!

Eamon was courting illness by grabbing ice cubes from the water-bottle tubs at the cart, while I tried to pay. Grabbing and eating said ice cubes. Bleah.

Any possible plans I made for this trip were absolutely blown out of the water by DS's opinions. He was either enthusiastic about things I hadn't yet planned, or vehemently against things I *had* planned. So...my plans were thrown out the window every day. Oh well. Such is life with an opinionated 3.5 year old. :confused3

So we wandered, and the only thing he wanted to do then was...Star Tours!

On our last trip, the CM got really tweaky with his height, and passed a piece of paper between his head and the measuring thing, and declared him too short. All the while a tiny girl wearing high-heeled cowboy boots sauntered by with her family...since the important part, IMO, for that ride is the torso, not the legs, I think it's ridiculous that high heeled shoes should be allowed to pass a kid through. I personally think that the rides with height restrictions b/c of the person needing to fit the restraint should have a measuring system based on sitting-down height. Of course, that's self-serving for DS, b/c he has a VERY long torso and would have been allowed on long ago (he was out of his infant seat, by torso length, before he was 4 months old, to give you an idea).

Well, this time he made it! It was an easy walk-on, and I felt pressured to go go go before another CM changed their minds, which in retrospect was a mistake. I wish I had slowed down with him, really shown him the queue. Oh well.

Someone in line with us was excited for him, and told me to keep ahold of him, b/c when their kid was his age and height, he slid under the lap belt, LOL. I did hold him with an arm, but he still slid quite a bit!

During the whole ride (which is my fave alongside of IASW, by the way) he had the blankest, wide-eyed, no emotion expression on his face. He just kept sliding and staring and not overtly reacting at all. I thought OMG he HATES it. I expected tears.

We got out of the ride and I heard some kid saying "I loved that ride, I loved that ride!" over and over. We got out of the crowd, and I realized that it was MY son saying that, and he was trying to talk to ME! Wow! he loved it!!!

Alas, he refused to go on it a second time.

Which was bad b/c although DS was excited to ride his "star wars ride", my husband was even MORE excited. And he wasn't there yet. Oops.:scared:

Of course you end up in the store, and I was just SO excited about his being tall enough and brave enough, that I had to buy him something to commemorate it.

The problem is...I know my kid, and I wasn't going to get him ANY kind of proper light saber. He would whip it around and I would have to take it away from him. Plus, we are VERY strict about the suggested ages on products, and most, if not all, of those light sabers are for kids 5 and up. I do NOT get products that are "too old" for him, EVER. He sees kids younger than him with toys I won't get him, and I have to remind him that they have different parents who have different rules, and this is a rule that I am very strict on. So no light sabers, no blasters (they are also mainly for 5 and up and the Buzz type blasters for 3 and up do NOT appeal to DS), etc.

Luckily, he saw a Jedi Mickey that was perfect. We snagged him and got in line. In front of us, a cute scene played out...cute even though the gift-recipient was younger than DS, and the gift was something for 6 and up, but whatever...as long as he doesn't give the toy to DS, if others want to give their kids things that are "too old" for them, go for it. But when there's something chokeable on it, or some actual reason for it to be for older kids, well, don't come whining to me.

Anyway, a family was in line...the mom was tattooed, wearing nightmare b4 xmas stuff, dyed black hair...very similar to the actress who plays Abby on NCIS. She had a very mainstream stroller, with two cute kids...the difference was striking to me, and I enjoyed watching them. She was having a transaction with the CM, but was distracted by the older boy (younger than DS). Suddenly I noticed the CM telling the little boy that he needed to help his little sister clean up her cheerios, and I thought "whoa, that's out of line!" B ut the little boy ducked down in front of the stroller, therefore out of sight of the adults, and while he was helping, the CM gave a big box in a bag to the mom, who whipped it behind the stroller, hung it from the handles, and covered it with a big blanket she had on the handles. It was the big "build a light saber" set that the boy had just been going ON about. :)

Well that inspired me, especially b/c I had just noticed small keychain light sabers, that were labeled for 3 and up, right there. DS noticed them too, and talked about the green one. I let him know that he was getting jedi mickey, and that was his gift, and wasn't that exciting! Well of course I distracted him and slipped the keychain to the CM, who totally got that I was doing a similar move as the woman before me. He was very good at that.

DS had his Jedi Mickey, I had a secret, we took pictures of DS and Jedi Mickey in front of the store window, and moved on.

47b7cc00b3127cceb35fea863b7e00000025118CZMmjFq1bC

After that, I think we went on Buzz, and he got scared in line! I know that he was tired, and that we were hungry, but ya know, we were in line, there was a crowd, and after a bad experience exiting a ride in Oct of '06, I figure that quite often the quickest way off of a ride is to go ON the ride. So I reminded him that he loved the ride, that he'd get to blast things, that it was fun, he had to defeat Zurg, etc...he did protest the whole way through the line, but once he had his blaster in hand, he was fine. As the door thing of the ride vehicle shut, he almost lost Jedi Mickey, but I correctly interpreted his excited yelps, and the CM caught on quick too, and we saved JM.

He was fine blasting things, and though our scores were abysmal, we had fun.

Then we went to Tomorrowland Terrace for lunch. Ahhhhh. That was better.

By then the sun was going down, and there was a cool pre-twilight light on the Jedi training as we made our way to Autopia. We watched the end of the show from behind, and it made me cry. I can't wait until he's mature enough to do that, to listen to them and do what they say, to enjoy it in the moment and really interact. I think he's still a bit young for all of that, though he's maturing quickly! He wanted to do it, and that's a good step!

Went over to Autopia, with a listed 40 minute wait. I tried to talk him out of it, but hey, it's Disneyland and I didn't want to *cause* sadness just b/c I didn't want to wait, so we went. OMG never again. Even with fastpass Autopia with a wait is awful. It's best in the very early morning with NO wait, and that is the only time I ever want to go on it again. At least until DS is 10 and more able to deal with the wait.

Interminable wait, but ultimately we were on, and it was nice to ride at twilight, and he love love loves that ride, so it was fine.

I think we just went wandering at that point, and suddenly found ourselves in the pre-pre-pre-parade waiting time, and we were right there at the Fantasy/Tomorrowland bathrooms, which I've heard are great for parade-watching, so...we decided to wait for the parade! And he was actually really good, waiting for almost an hour.

Saw the Enchanted carriage, though honestly the pooper-scooper CM following behind was more amusing to me. She kept a plastic rose at the top of her can, and pretended that the can smelled of roses.

The family chosen to be in the parade was a family of 24! They were on top of a tall bus thing.

The parade was very lovely, despite a very very LOUD woman yelling things to her child, who was 2 feet away from her. And she kept getting things wrong, too. I mean, yeah, my 3 year old said that Pluto was Goofy, but he did it quietly. She did it, well after DS and I figured it out, and she did it far more loudly. When her husband corrected her, she realized her error verbally, and again, at top volume.

Weirdest part of that parade was that I was surrounded by very tall people. Yeah, I'm only 5'3", so I'm used to being shrimpy, but this was weird. Men and women well over 5'10", all around, and they were not all related to each other (unless they were a really unhappy, not speaking to each other, extended family).

I'm not big into christmas, we're more Yule types, but it was really cute. And it was the first parade we *really* saw, rather than just "oh there's the parade let's go watch the end of it". Eamon liked it quite a bit, especially seeing Mickey and Minnie skating on their float.

Having saved all those receipts is making this easier to remember! At 7:17 we had a snack; I had the "trio of fritters" from Royal St Veranda (very very good) and DS had a chocolate chip cookie. We sat on a brick ledge to eat them and I peoplewatched while DS snarfed half of his cookie.

As we walked on through Adventureland, we ended up on Jungle Cruise in the dark. I was amazed that he wanted to do that! While in line he made "best friends forever" with a woman and her three daughters. They all had curly hair (different varieties of curls, from just barely wavy to near curliques) and that was something to start the in-line conversation. DS just lloooooves making friends while waiting, especially friends with girls or women, and I think he was ready to push me overboard and go live with them. We all rode together, and the middle sister adopted him for the ride.

The skipper was really funny! Alas I *never* remember what the jokes are when I like them, and it was so dark I couldn't see his name. But he had a very high voice, and the one joke I do remember was something I've never heard as we approached the tribal dance. Usually they just say something like "oh they never do celebration dances, oh no, it's an ambush". Total yawn. But this guy said something, then said "let me stop and see if I can translate." We stopped, and stopped, and stayed stopped....just to the point where it was getting weird (especially in the dark!), and then he just said "nope" and started the boat again. It was truly hilarious to all of the boat.

While we were on the boat, the fireworks started, and we could see a bit of that through the trees. It was ending as we got off the boat, and we rushed to main street to try to see the end, but didn't quite get there. We saw the snow, though! E liked the bubbles. And then of course the park was closed and we were in the slow-moving crowd. But that was OK; by that point I was moving slow, too!

Finally made our way out, and by the time we got to the hotel I was hungry again (hmm, am noticing an explanation for the vast tummy I noticed in my photopass pictures) and since Tangerine's dessert fridge was broken, all they had was a peach cobbler so I had that, and it was good.

DS slept all night long, which is shocking for him, but he did each night at Disneyland. Nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter