Two-night Wonder cruise to Nowhere May 17, 2014

FAIREST1OFALL said:
It's called San Diego Airport Parking on Kurtz Rd. It's nothing fancy, just a lot. But I have never had bad service there, they shuttles are frequent and the prices are good.

Thanks for the info...I think we may use this place. We're driving down from Riverside the day of and will need a good place to park the car.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is any parking right at the port? I know the Port of L A has on site parking. If there is, is there a reason no one wants to park there?

Thanks for the info...I think we may use this place. We're driving down from Riverside the day of and will need a good place to park the car.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is any parking right at the port? I know the Port of L A has on site parking. If there is, is there a reason no one wants to park there?

I can't think of where it would be. I'm relatively familiar with that area, but I've never cruised out of there so I can't say for sure. If you look on the port's website it gives you some suggested park and cruise locations.

FAIREST1OFALL said:
I can't think of where it would be. I'm relatively familiar with that area, but I've never cruised out of there so I can't say for sure. If you look on the port's website it gives you some suggested park and cruise locations.

The Port of SD website says no one going on a cruise is allowed to park at the pier.

So did we figure out if there are park, stay and cruise hotels there? I need one night.

Sorry--I check Facebook a lot more than I DIS.

There are quite a few "snooze and cruise" locations (where you can leave your car.) I have booked a couple of these for clients in the past. One of my agents just stayed at the Dana on Mission Bay (located right by Sea World)...they offer a "Snooze & Cruise" package.

If you are looking for something in the Comfort Inn type of accommodation, there is a Comfort Inn, Gaslamp. They offer complimentary transportation to the cruise ship, but they do charge for parking at the hotel. There is a Hampton Inn (Downtown) that is really close to the ship (walking distance--about 2 blocks.)

If you want to stay around Old Town (which is a neat area), there is a Courtyard by Marriott that offers free transportation to the cruise ship. Old Town is about 5 miles away from the port.

The Mariott Gaslamp is only a couple of blocks away as well, and is a nice hotel.

Because we live so close by I am very familiar with the area, so let me know if I can answer any questions.

Sue Ellen

Are you referring to the Marriott Seaport Village? I think there are a lot of hotels that are closer to the port that that. I thought it was about 6-8 blocks away from the port? I have nothing against that property, I like it very much, but it's not where I would choose to stay if I were wanting to be close to the port. But, if I was more interested in being close to the Gaslamp that would be a good choice.

My choices for near Gaslamp district would be:
In this order:
US Grant
Hyatt Machester
Hard Rock Hotel
Marriott Seaport Village

Near the port:
Westin
The W
Doubletree by Hilton
Hampton Inn
Residence Inn

I'm also an admitted hotel snob, that's my disclaimer.

FAIREST1OFALL said:
Are you referring to the Marriott Seaport Village? I think there are a lot of hotels that are closer to the port that that. I thought it was about 6-8 blocks away from the port? I have nothing against that property, I like it very much, but it's not where I would choose to stay if I were wanting to be close to the port. But, if I was more interested in being close to the Gaslamp that would be a good choice.

My choices for near Gaslamp district would be:
In this order:
US Grant
Hyatt Machester
Hard Rock Hotel
Marriott Seaport Village

Near the port:
Westin
The W
Doubletree by Hilton
Hampton Inn
Residence Inn

I'm also an admitted hotel snob, that's my disclaimer.

I love nice hotels too. Which if the nicer Gaslamp District hotels allow you to leave your car there and have cruise port transportation?

The Gaslamp district is so much fun! I remember going to live jazz and to places for salsa lessons and sangrias! Also just great to walk around.

I found this link that might help you, but it really looks like mostly average rated hotels have the snooze and cruise package, aside from The Dana, which is not near downtown/Gaslamp/port.

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/cruises/cruise-friendly-hotels-in-san-diego.aspx

Personally, I would stay where I felt the most comfortable and then just park at a park and fly lot. It's only three days so the parking fees won't be that much. But, that's my personal opinion.

Those of you that need to park and cruise have you tried looking into parking at the train station? I plan on taking the train to the port in the morning and just walking to the port.

FAIREST1OFALL said:
I found this link that might help you, but it really looks like mostly average rated hotels have the snooze and cruise package, aside from The Dana, which is not near downtown/Gaslamp/port.

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/cruises/cruise-friendly-hotels-in-san-diego.aspx

Personally, I would stay where I felt the most comfortable and then just park at a park and fly lot. It's only three days so the parking fees won't be that much. But, that's my personal opinion.

Thanks!

Those of you that need to park and cruise have you tried looking into parking at the train station? I plan on taking the train to the port in the morning and just walking to the port.
There's metered parking on the street in front of the train station and there is a lot adjacent to the station that charges about $13/day. You can usually find a park and fly/cruise lot for about $9/day. But, you are correct, you're within walking distance to the port.

There's metered parking on the street in front of the train station and there is a lot adjacent to the station that charges about $13/day. You can usually find a park and fly/cruise lot for about $9/day. But, you are correct, you're within walking distance to the port.

We used that lot a few years ago, we sailed on Radiance of the Sea. Came back 5 days later and the car was fine. It was a long wait to get out of the parking area though, I think there was only one cashier. We paid for the bicycle taxi to take us/luggage to the ship to be dropped off, coming back we just rolled everything across the street.

Actually that's 95% means that 95% of the categories have availability. Here's an example, if there were 20 different categories (cat 11c, 11b, etc.), the 95% number means that 19 (19/20 is .95)of the categories have a cabin that's available to book. It doesn't give you an idea about how many cabins are available (could be just one cabin in each category) but just that 1 of the categories are completely sold out (i.e. cat R). The rest (19) have something available to book.

It took me a while to understand this concept. a question on the cruisefish forum, lol.

Thank you so much for setting me straight. I sincerely appreciate it!! Now I can tell more people about the cruise and hope they can come along too!!:cool1:

ludari said:

Amtrak/Metrolink are incredibly unreliable when it comes to time. I would make sure you are on the first train of the day if you are going to take the train that morning and not the day before.

I'm in. Also did the 2011 one. Right now I have my son and I booked, but I don't know if he will make it. Depends on where he ends up choosing for college. Might fly him home for the weekend so he can have his first Palo meal. Then again, might just take a friend with me.

Amtrak/Metrolink are incredibly unreliable when it comes to time. I would make sure you are on the first train of the day if you are going to take the train that morning and not the day before.

That's my plan. :thumbsup2

To me, the Grand Californian comparison is a bad analogy. The hotel does not have included food and drink, nor does it have included kids clubs and access to incredible babysitters for only $6 per hour. I do not get adult time when I am at GC, nor do I get the full value of my $1400 because I am in the parks at least part of the time if not all; that's an additional cost either via tickets or APs.

A more valid comparison would be what other cruise lines are charging for a two-night cruise. Now, given how many comparisons there are between Disney's upcharge and other lines, one would think they would be more expensive. I was shocked to find out otherwise.

I decided to go to the most conventionally "cheapest" line: Carnival. To compare the same season, I had to find a 2-nighter in May, which is only out of Norfolk.

2 Nights in May on the Carnival Glory for 4 in an inside stateroom, including taxes: $1225.24

2 Nights in May on the Disney Wonder for 4 in an 11B, including taxes: $1214.80

HELLO.

Also, no airfare for us and it puts us over to Gold. Count me in!
I agree with you on the prices. Plus in reality, there is no comparing carnival to Disney no matter the price difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter