Today's podcast............

We aren't necessarily an anti-gun nation, but we have those common sense laws in place that Pete is calling for.
We also have similar legislation in Canada but it is complex both in legislation and in practice. Some of its common sense. Some of it isn't. None of it is easy . . . which may be a very good thing. Much of it is expensive. Whether expensive is good is in the eyes of the beholder. Automatics & semis are restricted weapons here but can be owned with registration (requiring background check) & use is supposed to be restricted to the range. While expensive (usually more than $700 CDN) to buy, they are popular with many collectors. There are also very strict limits on how many rounds a firearm's magazine is allowed to hold. So they are not illegal and not impossible to obtain. More difficult to obtain than in the US? Absolutely. But not impossible.

Some elements of our gun control legislation highlight and often perpetuate a real rural-urban divide and mindset. I know responsible handgun collectors who target shoot and collect as a hobby. They abide by the licensing, fees and mandatory safe storage regs. They cannot and should not be blamed for handgun violence in our cities. Handguns are not part of our popular rural culture either in the past or today. When our Canadian West opened up, frontiers were policed with rifles and not handguns. Modern concealed weapons (handguns) require a special permit and it isn't that prevalent to legally carry. However, rifles and long guns are certainly part of our rural history and rural present.

I grew up in rural Ontario and rifles or long guns were then and remain a part of life. It is a right of passage for most rural boys to take their required gun safety course, submit their application, wait the 28 odd days, get their permit and then go with their Dad to buy their first .22 rifle. That permit is also needed to buy ammunition even at Walmart or Canadian Tire. When I was in undergrad, our Federal Government introduced long gun registration partly in response to campus massacres and domestic violence. It was difficult to have rationale discussions about this with my peers who grew up in cities. In my view, registration & fees for keeping long guns does little to curb violence and only taxes rural Canadians who have legitimate reasons for their rifles. My friends who grew up in condos as opposed to cottages and cabins could not understand why anyone would want to shoot anything, including an animal. They viewed a gun as a weapon and not a tool. Our long gun registry was dismantled by our previous Federal Government as a result of rural Canadians' strong objections and also immense cost. Our modern Canadian Constitution is much younger than our American cousins (patriated in 1982) and we have no similar Constitutional Right to bear arms. However, we were once a rural nation and our traditions and needs for rifles, at least in rural ridings, runs deep. For Canadians, gun control may be best addressed in the future on a regional basis. What works for Haliburton county will not work for Metro Toronto and vice versa. But even getting agreement on that approach is elusive as people are incredibly set in their beliefs and in my experience, calm discussion is not the norm. Food for thought: despite our regulations, per capita, Canadians own more long guns and rifles than Americans. Always have. Probably always will.

Thanks guys very much for this episode, even though I can tell it was a hard podcast to record. That said, it was a very necessary and mature discussion despite the obvious emotions in how everything was handled. As Pete said, Orlando is a very small town. I've been gone for 5 years, and even then the connections between myself and victims are very short. It was hard for me to even watch the news bulletins because Orlando's still so close to my heart.

In fact, it was my time working for Disney that really opened my eyes to LGBT issues and rights as a Christian and a Republican (Yes, we do exist!). When the vote to ban same sex marriage here in Minnesota, I had a face to what it all means and voted no. It's not my right as a decent human being to deny anyone their right to love. I also happen to be a married straight man, and same sex marriage doesn't affect my marriage one bit. It just doesn't. My heart, thoughts, and prayers goes out to y'all.

I applaud y'all for this podcast.

Corey- you were so brave for maintaining your views and position although your friends and co-workers have an opposing belief on a tough issue. I thought to myself this quote:

“There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

Ryno-it is so hard to realize that despite the gains that a community has made, there are still ignorant individuals who like (or perhaps NEED) to hate. It is, indeed, not fair.I wish I could have hugged you as Kevin did.

Kevin-I am so sorry for your pain, if I could I would take part of it from you to lessen the burden.

Pete-thank you for pointing out the mental health aspect of this...I always feel that there is such a large part that is overlooked. Even when our views oppose, I repset your eloquence and passion.

John-you are always so composed on air. I hope you are doing well internally and off camera too.

Oliver-despite your restraint, your frustration showed through. I hope you were able to express it privately.

A former co-worker (and friend) lost his life November, 2009 in a well publicized attack in Ft Hood. That, too, seemed preventable for so many reasons. I still have feelings of anger, frustration and impotence. But I try to remember the good he brought to the world and try to be a little better myself in his honor.

Hugs to you, Tink, and I'm sorry on the loss of your friend. I hope you have found some comfort in your loving memories.

I just listened and had to come right to the boards to respond. I agree with PP's that said this is the best show ever done. I am fairly new to the podcast (been listening less than a year but have watched a lot of older episodes.) I was moved by some of the GKTW podcasts where the team talked about their love of Disney and some of their personal struggles. I've been brought to tears before by the team. But today's podcast was a whole other level.

As someone who has been lucky enough not to be exposed to this kind of fear or hate, I can't pretend to know what it is like. I was obviously so sad to hear about the shooting in Orlando, but I'm just so far removed from it, which makes me feel very powerless. I always think, "but what can I do"? And as Pete said, sometimes, not much. But as they found it cathartic to create that podcast, I felt it just so listening. I am so grateful for the team for opening up and allowing me to be a part of their pain. Ryno just about broke my heart. :( Its given me a lot to think about and I will definitely be acting upon these feelings.

Thanks to the entire podcast team. You are a class act and deserve recognition for your courage, kindness, intelligence and spirit.

I was finally able to watch the episode as I wanted to ensure I had time to take it all in. I truly applaud the team for sharing their emotions and feelings on this - it is that openness that i think draws so many of us to the team

My heart was breaking watching and listening to Ryno - for him to feel that way is soooo not right. You don't have to agree with someone to be nice to them and attacking someone or making them feel "less" simply because of who they are is sickening and disturbing. Hearing stories like that though is important though to highlight this to those of us that don't have to live like that and, to be honest, aren't fully aware. I read similar statements online today where LGBT individuals feel like they can't put pictures of their partner on their desk or sit on the same side of a booth in a restaurant or hold hands on the street, etc. And that truly saddens me and needs to change.

I did get frustrated though and wanted to yell at the screen when Kevin or Pete apologized for being angry ... no, absolutely not - you do not need to apologize for that. It is how you felt and rightly so and more of us should be willing to show that

Lastly, I did appreciate when Pete and others stressed that many gun owners are responsible and many people of faith are tolerant and supportive, as I like to consider myself one and feel that if your faith causes you to hate someone for being who they are, as God made them, then you are doing it wrong

You are absolutely wrong. An AR 15 CAN NOT be converted to an automatic rifle with a kit. Not sure how this keeps popping up but it is incorrect. As a military armorer I can assure you that it can't happen without serious gunsmithing. A .223 (can't even get the round correct) is only a bit overpowered .22 squirrel rifle round. Our troops complain that in war this round in extremely ineffective. An officer was shot in his helmet during this attack and suffered only a bruise. A vest would absolutely stop this anemic round. This is not a weapon of war but a semiautomatic rifle that looks scary because it is black. An M-16 is a full auto rifle not legal for civilians to purchase (certain exceptions exist with extensive paperwork, background checks, additional fees and licenses, and a roughly one year wait for these class three weapons produced before 1986. Due to scarcity they are extremely hard to come by and very expensive). Quite frankly any deer rifle is more deadly than an AR-15. Perhaps if people were a bit more informed they wouldn't be calling for more laws about things they do not understand.

This is an absolute tragedy, but hysterical knee jerk legislation based upon flat out incorrect information is not going to help. I really don't understand why the team lashed out at Christian, Republican, gun owners when the person we should be angry at is the man and his wife which perpetrated and facilitated this attack who happens to be a gay muslim. We are all in this together and anytime it becomes an us vs them we all lose.

To the team, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of grief in your community. The nation grieves with you. Please be assured of my prayers.

Thank you. You articulated my thoughts perfectly. Painting with a very wide brush. After being a loyal DIS fan for for almost twenty years, it hurt my heart to hear this. I had to turn it off.

I think this is why responsible gun owners need to be in on this though so that the best possible measures are put in place. I agree that the law that gets passed shouldn't be that you can no longer buy an AR-15 ... but if the only thing that is heard are the extremes on both side then something eventually will get passed and it likely won't be what responsible gun owners want

I am supportive of gun ownership but for the life of me don't understand why someone wants or needs in their personal possession a gun that is able to fire off that many bullets that fast that 49 people were killed that quickly

I've never met you, I wasn't there, I didn't know any of the victims but today listening to your podcast I shed tears. I shed tears for the loss of all that seems normal and sane. I cried for the pain which was so evident in all of your voices. I cried in anger at the reality of a world that puts guns ahead of lives. I may not be able to comfort you. I cannot take away any of the pain but please know that someone very far away in Townsville, Australia is thinking of you all and sending love during such a tragic and emotional time. WE STAND WITH YOU ORLANDO

I honestly would challenge anyone with preteen and teenage children to go back and listen to the podcast with your children. Pause where necessary and have a discussion with them. I also want to say that if Ryno gets banned from the Orlando airport for hugging people I want to be one of the first to sign the protest petition because I think there should be hug teams around just because the world can use more hugs.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by the Orlando tragedy. I have held off on voicing my feedback from the podcast. I started to listen to the episode as a way to check in with, and to support the team. Very early on Pete stated something the the effect that "you are not going to like the show if you are a homophobic gun nut." This made me a little concerned. Not because I am a homophobic gun nut, but I am a gun owner. I enjoy shooting recreationally. I carry a handgun for self defense. I completed a career in Law Enforcement and now work in the Corporate Security field. I train responsible citizens to protect themselves with firearms. I was concerned that people like me may be painted with a broad brush as the enemy during the episode.

However, Pete clarified his position multiple times throughout the show that the vast majority of firearms owners are good people. I also appreciated his insight in recognizing that we are not like other countries not only with respect to firearms, but with our freedoms. His observations of how other countries ban books illustrated his point perfectly.

I appreciate Corey stepping up to give some perspective regarding why some people choose to own firearms.

I also appreciate the viewpoints of everyone else on the episode. There were many statements that I could debate, but that is not my intent. But I did want to address a question Kevin asked, and address a recurring theme throughout the episode.

First, Kevin asked why responsible gun owners have been silent. How do you know what vigils I have attended or what donations I have made? Being a gun owner doesn't define me. I don't walk around wearing an NRA cap, aviator sunglasses, a field jacket and camouflage pants. I am just a normal guy. If you sat next to me in a restaurant you would never know that I am carrying a firearm for self defense, either by my looks or my demeanor. Gun owners are a diverse group. Some are jerks just like some people in any group are jerks. Some do walk around in camouflage with rifles slung where legal just for the attention. I am not one of those people, by the way.

The recurring theme was the reference to "common sense" gun laws and that "we need to do something." It would seem to me these "common sense" gun laws would have prevented this tragedy, but no one can tell me what they are. A waiting period wouldn't have had any effect. The shooter bought the firearms a week before and had been planning as early as April. A background check was performed to purchase the firearms. My understanding was the shooter went through multiple background checks to get security licenses also. He passed those. A background check can never guarantee future actions. Some point out that the shooter was investigated by the FBI twice before. But unfortunately, those investigations did not find that probable cause existed to charge the shooter with a crime.

The use of a Terrorist Watch List to prevent people from purchasing firearms or flying on a plane concerns me. What is the burden of proof necessary to get someone one the list? Who makes the determination? How can someone find out if they are on the list and how their name got there? What is the process for an innocent person to appeal having their name on such a list? Our legal system is not perfect but I think it is the best one there is. The government has to prove you committed a crime before you can be punished, and our system protects the rights of the individual accused, as it should be. These "lists" seem to circumvent the legal system.

If the government is so sure that someone is a terrorist, maybe we need some "common sense" terrorism laws that allow that person to be prosecuted, incarcerated and deported, if appropriate.

I understand the desire to want to do something to fix the issue and go back to our normal lives, but I can't support just doing something if it is not going to fix the problem.

Ryno said "It shouldn't be this way" and he was correct. There shouldn't be evil, but there is evil in the world. Evil that doesn't care if it is illegal for them to purchase a firearm. They will break the laws. That is what they do. If all the guns magically disappeared, evil would find a different way to hurt people. Evil already has, many times. If you are reading this, you can simply open another browser tab and google your way to instructions on how to create various devices that can hurt a lot of people. It shouldn't be this way. But it is.

I guess that is why I like WDW so much. For a brief time I can put my faith in Disney that the security measures they have in place will allow me to forget about the real world for a week or two.

Thanks to the podcast team for all you do.

First, Kevin asked why responsible gun owners have been silent. How do you know what vigils I have attended or what donations I have made? Being a gun owner doesn't define me. I don't walk around wearing an NRA cap, aviator sunglasses, a field jacket and camouflage pants. I am just a normal guy. If you sat next to me in a restaurant you would never know that I am carrying a firearm for self defense, either by my looks or my demeanor. Gun owners are a diverse group. Some are jerks just like some people in any group are jerks. Some do walk around in camouflage with rifles slung where legal just for the attention. I am not one of those people, by the way.normal lives, but I can't support just doing something if it is not going to fix the problem.

I am not an expert on guns or gun laws. I have never claimed to be and I never expected to discuss it on a Disney podcast.

I am devastated, hurt and angry. The majority of my anger comes from the fact that this keeps happening and people keep stating that something needs to change and nothing does.

I have never suggested that guns should be banned. I have asked that a conversation take place.

I am very tired of hearing that nothing can be done to fix this. I don't believe that this true.

I don't know many gun owners, but the media portrays them unbending and strident.

I was asking why "responsible gun owners" aren't as upset about the lack of conversation as I am.

I would not stereotype gun owners just as I would hope that LGBT folks aren't stereotyped.

I understand that you can't support "just doing something", but I'm hoping that you agree that something needs to be done. And I'm just as hopeful that you feel. as a "responsible gun owner", that you feel the need to be part of the conversation.

Last edited:
I am not an expert on guns or gun laws. I have never claimed to be and I never expected to discuss it on a Disney podcast.

I am devastated, hurt and angry. The majority of my anger comes from the fact that this keeps happening and people keep stating that something needs to change and nothing does.

I have never suggested that guns should be banned. I have asked that a conversation take place.

I am very tired of hearing that nothing can be done to fix this. I don't believe that this true.

I don't know many gun owners, but the media portrays them unbending and strident.

I was asking why "responsible gun owners" aren't as upset about the lack of conversation as I am.

I would not stereotype gun owners just as I would hope that LGBT folks aren't stereotyped.

I understand that you can't support "just doing something", but I'm hoping that you agree that something needs to be done. And I'm just as hopeful that you feel. as a "responsible gun owner", that you feel the need to be part of the conversation.

Hi Kevin,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post directly. Although to be honest I wish we were discussing something more light hearted.

I was not offended by any of your comments, just as I hope you aren't offended by mine. You asked a question that I felt I was in a position to answer. And I hope none of my comments were incorrectly construed to suggest you wanted guns banned outright. You were very clear that was not the case.

I made my comments to be part of the dialog you suggested. I understand why you might think all gun owners were unbending and strident based on how we are portrayed in the media. People like me aren't exciting. The only way you will see me in the media is if I start marching around scaring people while exercising my second amendment rights to carry a rifle into a Chipotle restaurant. (Which to be clear I do not do!) Even when the media talks to someone like me, statements are taken out of context, or misreported to forward an agenda, or ignored if they do not support the agenda.

I suspect that if it appears gun owners are upset about the lack of conversation, part of the reason may be that we aren't always invited to the conversation. Not many will admit, as you did, that they are not experts on guns and gun laws. There are a lot of people in politics or the media who want me to believe something that I know is inaccurate, and can't understand why I disagree with them.

I don't want to imply that nothing can be done, or that we should give up trying. I am just admitting that I don't have an answer. I would love to be part of the solution.

You mentioned that you do not know many gun owners. You can know one more if you would like to.

-John

I honestly think the problem starts with how we treat people and the response from society over bullying. A few years ago my husband and I had a nephew who was bullied for wearing an article of clothing from his favorite sports team both while waiting for the school bus and while on the bus. He told his parents who reported it to the school. The schools response was he started it by wearing that clothing and that he should be punished because it wasn't fair to the kids in the neighborhood who can't afford the same things.
We need to stop blaming the victims of bullying with the they must have started it by what they were wearing, how their hair was styled, where they were standing attitudes.

A few years ago my husband and I had a nephew who was bullied for wearing an article of clothing from his favorite sports team both while waiting for the school bus and while on the bus. He told his parents who reported it to the school. The schools response was he started it by wearing that clothing and that he should be punished because it wasn't fair to the kids in the neighborhood who can't afford the same things.
That's insane, and really disturbing that this is what the people in charge of educating and caring for our children are doing.

Of course, this mindset is also why so many schools, both private and public, have gone to uniforms rather than letting kids wear their own clothes. Rather than teaching tolerance and understanding, they want everyone to be exactly the same. What does that teach the kids?

Hi Kevin,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post directly. Although to be honest I wish we were discussing something more light hearted.

I was not offended by any of your comments, just as I hope you aren't offended by mine. You asked a question that I felt I was in a position to answer. And I hope none of my comments were incorrectly construed to suggest you wanted guns banned outright. You were very clear that was not the case.

I made my comments to be part of the dialog you suggested. I understand why you might think all gun owners were unbending and strident based on how we are portrayed in the media. People like me aren't exciting. The only way you will see me in the media is if I start marching around scaring people while exercising my second amendment rights to carry a rifle into a Chipotle restaurant. (Which to be clear I do not do!) Even when the media talks to someone like me, statements are taken out of context, or misreported to forward an agenda, or ignored if they do not support the agenda.

I suspect that if it appears gun owners are upset about the lack of conversation, part of the reason may be that we aren't always invited to the conversation. Not many will admit, as you did, that they are not experts on guns and gun laws. There are a lot of people in politics or the media who want me to believe something that I know is inaccurate, and can't understand why I disagree with them.

I don't want to imply that nothing can be done, or that we should give up trying. I am just admitting that I don't have an answer. I would love to be part of the solution.

You mentioned that you do not know many gun owners. You can know one more if you would like to.

-John

I appreciate you taking part in the conversation.

I was certainly not offended and I'm glad you feel the same.

I definitely think you should be part of the conversation. I think all gun owners should be involved.

W can't solve this unless everyone joins the conversation and the less rhetoric involved the better.

There has to be an answer. We are smarter as a group.

And I'm always glad to have a new friend.

And just as a side note.....I helped one of my gun owning friends buy a Louis Vuitton purse that would be big enough to hold her handgun.:smooth:

Thats absolutely true by the way.

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter