Today's podcast............

I put my pants on the same way as everyone else but I have to admit, I've never been on the wrong end of a slur (I'm a 50 yr old white guy, married, 1.8 kids, boring, very vanilla). I started visiting this website in the late 90's and a podcast listener from day one. I'm here for one reason, my passion for Disney. I had to write to thank the team for this honest episode and sharing their sadness, pain, anger, and hope. Special thanks to Ryno for his candidness. Very moving. Positive thoughts from my part of NJ to my favorite part of Fla. I know this will be your finest hour!!

I'm right now trying to listen to the episode. Part of me wants to thank them for doing a show to say they are unharmed and are mostly ok. The other part would rather they just said no show this week due to the tragedy. I don't really like when people sessionless a tragedy like this, like when all that was on the news for weeks on end was september the 11th. Yes I feel bad for those involved i just don't need a constant reminder of it for days on end.
I completely understand this point of view. However this episode needed to happen. With a vast majority of the Dis team being gay men, this attack landed very close to home, especially since a few of the the members still frequent this club. Also the tragedy just happened. The team is still processing and still dealing with such a loss in their community.

I just finished watching the podcast and was struck by how raw the emotions were. I've been on the edge of tears since I heard the news Sunday morning, but finally went over that edge hearing the heartbreak, frustration and anger of these good men. I, like many other posters wanted to hug each of them.
As a listener I invite these people into my home each Tuesday (and some other days as well), they are welcome guests. I feel as though they are friends, people I care about. To see them in such pain was so difficult. To hear their experiences made me love them more. Thank you for your honesty, your ability to share with us, and for being the people you are.

I don't have much to add other than what has already been said, but thank you for being brave enough to speak your minds on an issue that always seems to be tearing this country apart. I took a lot away from what you guys said, especially Kevin and Ryno. You said a lot of the things I've been feeling but couldn't quite find the words to say.

I'm right now trying to listen to the episode. Part of me wants to thank them for doing a show to say they are unharmed and are mostly ok. The other part would rather they just said no show this week due to the tragedy. I don't really like when people sessionless a tragedy like this, like when all that was on the news for weeks on end was september the 11th. Yes I feel bad for those involved i just don't need a constant reminder of it for days on end.

At the beginning of the show Pete said what the content would be. Anyone and everyone had the option at that moment to turn off the recording so they wouldn't have that constant reminder.

I acknowledge your right to feel that way and act accordingly (and my following comments are not directed at you, but at the "us" in general).

I disagree with your sentiment. I'm tired of people sweeping issues under the rug or turning away because it doesn't affect them directly. We have a real problem here. This problem doesn't affect many, and I say most, directly. And so this week's podcast brings humanity to a news story that can be turned off so people are not inconvenienced. I had family over during the weekend, and Sunday morning woke up to the horrible news. We had the tv on all morning as newscasters talked about the events unfolding. And we were horrified. Yet, we weren't devastated. Later on in the day, I saw stories of people who had friends (one of the Jelly Rolls performers that I follow was one of them), and so these thoughts stayed in my mind... but still, I wasn't devastated.

Listening to the podcast made this extremely real to me. Listening to men I call friends describe the hurt and fear they feel - yes, now I am devastated and outraged. John made a comment that really cut me - and it referred to listening to another podcast mention the tragedy and then move on. That comment has really bothered me a lot, and it should. Are we so desensitized, or so self-involved, that when something on such a big scale happens that isn't in our own backyard, or affects us directly, we can easily act or even feel like it's no big deal?

It is a big deal, and thank goodness we are coming to a realization that it is not okay to treat people badly because they are different. Ryan's heartfelt cry, "It's not fair," is true. People need to start listening and making it our problem, too, and not because we "know" a few men and women, but because it's the right thing to do. And until enough people listen to start making a real difference (not just in the big cities), the message we heard on this week's podcast needs to be repeated over and over again. Also, talking about it is great. But it's not enough until we stand together and protect the dignity of everyone. I can say for me that I will never be quiet again when I hear anything disparaging, even if it's about a stranger.

I had the same sentiment. They shouldn't feel that they have to apologize, and I'm glad they s

At the beginning of the show Pete said what the content would be. Anyone and everyone had the option at that moment to turn off the recording so they wouldn't have that constant reminder.

I acknowledge your right to feel that way and act accordingly (and my following comments are not directed at you, but at the "us" in general).

I disagree with your sentiment. I'm tired of people sweeping issues under the rug or turning away because it doesn't affect them directly. We have a real problem here. This problem doesn't affect many, and I say most, directly. And so, this week's podcast brings humanity to a news story that can be turned off so people are not inconvenienced. I had family over during the weekend, and Sunday morning woke up to the horrible news. We had the tv on all morning as newscasters talked about the events unfolding. And we were horrified. Yet, we weren't devastated. Later on in the day, I saw stories of people who had friends (one of the Jelly Rolls performers that I follow was one of them), and so these thoughts stayed in my mind... but still, I wasn't devastated.

Listening to the podcast made this extremely real to me. Listening to men I call friends describe the hurt and fear they feel - yes, now I am devastated and outraged. John made a comment that really cut me - and it referred to listening to another podcast mention the tragedy and then move on. That comment has really bothered me a lot, and it should. Are we so desensitized, or so self-involved, that when something on such a big scale happens that isn't in our own backyard, or affects us directly, we can easily act or even feel like it's no big deal?

It is a big deal, and thank goodness we are coming to a realization that it is not okay to treat people badly because they are different. Ryan's heartfelt cry, "It's not fair," is true. People need to start listening and making it our problem, too, and not because we "know" a few men and women, but because it's the right thing to do. And until enough people listen to start making a real difference (not just in the big cities), the message we heard on this week's podcast needs to be repeated over and over again. Also, talking about it is great. But it's not enough until we stand together and protect the dignity of everyone. I can say for me that I will never be quiet again when I hear anything disparaging, even if it's about a stranger.
Well said Mary Jo

That was a tough listen, but damn that was maybe the realest, rawest expression of pain and grief I have ever heard. I felt terrible for all of them, particularly Ryno, Kevin, and Pete since they showed the most pain. And as someone who is very anti-gun, I applaud Corey vocalizing his opinions. I think they are well-spoken and grounded in reality (as opposed to a lot of gun nuts, which I know Corey isn't).

Thank you Kevin for not holding back. I basically agree with everything he said about guns. Oliver's foreign perspective was nice to hear, as I'm sure he is just beyond frustrated by our insane gun culture. Pete continues to blow me away with his ability as a broadcaster and a human. John was able to bring some calmness and humor into it. Hell, everyone got a couple jokes in.

I could go on with the praise. Incredible listen. Pure human feelings in a podcast. I hope it was cathartic and I hope the pain, hurt, sadness, and anger eases with time. And I'm glad you guys know that you have an entire community that cares about you.

People, if you're angry, do something.

And as someone who is very anti-gun, I applaud Corey vocalizing his opinions. I think they are well-spoken and grounded in reality (as opposed to a lot of gun nuts, which I know Corey isn't).

I don't have guns, and not sure where I stand on gun control... well, I kind of do, but not going to go there. I really appreciated Corey's input, and was glad that he had the courage to discuss. Even though the team was very respectful, I don't know that I would have had the courage to stand up like he did. I applaud him, too. I also appreciated Oliver's input, because we don't have that insight from other countries, and I think it's important.

Thank you for that heartfelt podcast. I hope it helps you move through your stages of grief. While anger is the easiest to settle on, its not good for your soul.
Pete, you're stuck with me. You can't lose me as a listener that easy.
Kevin, you're a true friend. The team is lucky to have you.
Ryno, my heart hurts for you. I hope you can move past the "what ifs" and just keep giving hugs.
Thank you!!!

I don't have guns, and not sure where I stand on gun control... well, I kind of do, but not going to go there. I really appreciated Corey's input, and was glad that he had the courage to discuss. Even though the team was very respectful, I don't know that I would have had the courage to stand up like he did. I applaud him, too. I also appreciated Oliver's input, because we don't have that insight from other countries, and I think it's important.
I was also really glad that Ollie pointed out the strict rules in Australia regarding guns.
We aren't necessarily an anti-gun nation, but we have those common sense laws in place that Pete is calling for.
You do have to jump through hoops and you can't get a semi or fully automatic gun here.

Who on earth needs an assault rifle other than the armed forces? Surely the answer here is "no one"?

I am just now seeing the video. I applaud the entire team, not for sharing their view, but sharing their emotions.
Kevin raised a great point about gun owners. Any time something this horrible happens, gun nuts come out in force, but the responsible gun owners sit on their hands. An AR-15 is a civilian version of an M-16 chambered with .222 rounds instead of 5.56 mm (do the math, same thing) and can easily be modified (kits are legally sold at gun shows and do not require any background checks). This is a weapon meant for war, not home protection. Even if the police officer in the club wore a vest, this weapon would have killed him.

You are absolutely wrong. An AR 15 CAN NOT be converted to an automatic rifle with a kit. Not sure how this keeps popping up but it is incorrect. As a military armorer I can assure you that it can't happen without serious gunsmithing. A .223 (can't even get the round correct) is only a bit overpowered .22 squirrel rifle round. Our troops complain that in war this round in extremely ineffective. An officer was shot in his helmet during this attack and suffered only a bruise. A vest would absolutely stop this anemic round. This is not a weapon of war but a semiautomatic rifle that looks scary because it is black. An M-16 is a full auto rifle not legal for civilians to purchase (certain exceptions exist with extensive paperwork, background checks, additional fees and licenses, and a roughly one year wait for these class three weapons produced before 1986. Due to scarcity they are extremely hard to come by and very expensive). Quite frankly any deer rifle is more deadly than an AR-15. Perhaps if people were a bit more informed they wouldn't be calling for more laws about things they do not understand.

This is an absolute tragedy, but hysterical knee jerk legislation based upon flat out incorrect information is not going to help. I really don't understand why the team lashed out at Christian, Republican, gun owners when the person we should be angry at is the man and his wife which perpetrated and facilitated this attack who happens to be a gay muslim. We are all in this together and anytime it becomes an us vs them we all lose.

To the team, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of grief in your community. The nation grieves with you. Please be assured of my prayers.

While I was able to log yesterday for some of the live show, I wound up watching the show in its entirety from my sofa last night in an environment where I could really listen and be in tears. Like so many, I woke up on Sunday morning in shock with everything I was seeing on the news. My thoughts immediately went to the podcast crew as well as some of my friends from my Gainesville, FL days. Obviously, we are all so thankful that everyone is ok...but I know these kinds of atrocities create wounds and scars that are never really healed.

I'm happy that the DisUnplugged podcast was medium there for everyone so that the team had a way to openly share their feelings and vent their pain and frustrations.

Kevin also really hit home with me when he brought up people with kids. Sunday night, my younger one couldn't sleep, and we spent the night in the guest bedroom. She fell asleep pretty quickly, but my thoughts spiraled out of control, thinking about the scary world we live in and thinking about actions I could take to better protect her and her sister. I don't want to get into a political debate...so I will leave it at that.

Ryno reminded me of me after 9/11. I'll spare you all of that as this is not about me...but I will say that turning off the news...as hard as it is...helps. Convincing the mind to stop exploring all of the "what if's" and picturing yourself or people you know in the scenario is tough, but strong and positive distractions help.

There's that part of me that wanted to jump through that screen and give you all a hug. I obviously can't do that, but I can say that you all (as well as anyone else out there hurting) are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bravo team, what a listen. Intense, from the heart, and I think gave our wider community a bit of an insight in to how these events really affect people, rather than just the usual media coverage.

You are absolutely wrong. An AR 15 CAN NOT be converted to an automatic rifle with a kit. Not sure how this keeps popping up but it is incorrect. As a military armorer I can assure you that it can't happen without serious gunsmithing. A .223 (can't even get the round correct) is only a bit overpowered .22 squirrel rifle round. Our troops complain that in war this round in extremely ineffective. An officer was shot in his helmet during this attack and suffered only a bruise. A vest would absolutely stop this anemic round. This is not a weapon of war but a semiautomatic rifle that looks scary because it is black. An M-16 is a full auto rifle not legal for civilians to purchase (certain exceptions exist with extensive paperwork, background checks, additional fees and licenses, and a roughly one year wait for these class three weapons produced before 1986. Due to scarcity they are extremely hard to come by and very expensive). Quite frankly any deer rifle is more deadly than an AR-15. Perhaps if people were a bit more informed they wouldn't be calling for more laws about things they do not understand.

This is an absolute tragedy, but hysterical knee jerk legislation based upon flat out incorrect information is not going to help. I really don't understand why the team lashed out at Christian, Republican, gun owners when the person we should be angry at is the man and his wife which perpetrated and facilitated this attack who happens to be a gay muslim. We are all in this together and anytime it becomes an us vs them we all lose.

To the team, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this time of grief in your community. The nation grieves with you. Please be assured of my prayers.

Thank you. You articulated my thoughts perfectly. Painting with a very wide brush. After being a loyal DIS fan for for almost twenty years, it hurt my heart to hear this. I had to turn it off.

Painting with a very wide brush. After being a loyal DIS fan for for almost twenty years, it hurt my heart to hear this. I had to turn it off.
I'm curious what was said that you felt was "painting with a wide brush". I heard them say repeatedly that they're not anti-gun. Even Corey, a gun owner, felt the laws need to change and that guns are too accessible. Kevin urged responsible gun owners to speak up and protest the insanity that currently exists. Would you please share your view on this? I think it's important to hear all sides of this issue in order to be able to move toward some reasonable changes to the system.

Kevin raised a great point about gun owners. Any time something this horrible happens, gun nuts come out in force, but the responsible gun owners sit on their hands. An AR-15 is a civilian version of an M-16 chambered
Not to take this off on a tangent but it appears that the news reports of the gunman using an AR-15 were incorrect. The actual weapon was a Sig Sauer MCX, an entirely different weapon. However, your point still stands.

I really don't understand why the team lashed out at Christian, Republican, gun owners

I don't believe this was done.

I don't believe Christianity was denounced in any way.

None of us are anti gun. I strongly questioned why "responsible gun owners" are not marching in the street for tighter controls. Being labeled "responsible" carries a burden.

I also suggested that gun control legislation was being blocked and if you look at the records, you can see who is trying to block it.

I appreciate your support and I am sorry that you felt singled out...but as a gay man, I don't have the same right to protection that other US citizens have, so I feel singled out almost every day of my life.

Again...I am sorry you felt attacked in some way, but I am 100% unapologetic for anything I said.

du-sidebar-show-notes

ORLANDO SHOW

UNIVERSAL SHOW

CONNECTING WITH WALT

DREAMS SHOW

DISNEYLAND SHOW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter