• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

From the preview I saw, it looks like the parents are putting all the blame on the RCL.

I just think there has to be some kind of video that will not be shown until litigation starts.
If there is, I hope its clear and shows what happened.
There have been so many stories, time will tell.

They are wanting answers to something that they really don’t want to face. Give them a break.
How is going on the Today's show though going to give them the answers they seek?

I've seen people use news outlets and venues such that we are talking about usually in a way to warn other people like "it could happen to you, only takes a split second, keep your guard up, etc"

Now if that's what they may be doing I get it but if this is more about what a cruise line could have done differently I view that as differently. Most often that's just going to lead to he said/she said situations and really what good does that do in the immediate wake of this to go on an outlet that can be viewed by millions and millions of people if you're still very much grieving? And has the investigation even been completed?

The little girls parents are going to be interviewed on The Today Show this coming Monday, sitting down with Savannah.
Well that's tasteless. Usually it's, "please respect our privacy while we grieve", not go on a speaking tour circuit.

I have a legit question since I have only been on yachts and not a cruise ship.
There is a safety drill at the start right? Like on a plane?
And some places that are more dangerous than others (crew areas, operations) do have extra signage, right? But the whole ship is considered to be a place where you are cautious about your surroundings. Like if you have a balcony door open and you open the other door, WHOOSH!!!! Crazy air whirlwind! So dont stand in doorways or leave your hands in the frames. The crew does go over these dangers and other things , right?
I am sure the cruise company has policies that are already going to protect it from these kinds of threats.

Last edited:
Well that's tasteless. Usually it's, "please respect our privacy while we grieve", not go on a speaking tour circuit.

And some places that are more dangerous than others (crew areas, operations) do have extra signage, right? But the whole ship is considered to be a place where you are cautious about your surroundings. Like if you have a balcony door open and you open the other door, WHOOSH!!!! Crazy air whirlwind! So dont stand in doorways or leave your hands in the frames. The crew does go over these dangers and other things , right?
I am sure the cruise company has policies that are already going to protect it from these kinds of threats.

I have only been on Disney Cruise Line, they have signs posted about not leaving verandah doors open.
The only thing really covered in the safety drill is what to do in the "unlikely event" of an emergency and having to leave the ship while in the middle of the ocean.
But you sign a very long contract, that goes over all of the other possibilities, its up to you to read it before you sign it.
I'm sure somewhere in that contract, the cruise line is covered.
Also, remember these ships are registered in the Bahamas or other foreign ports where the laws are quite different than here in the US.

How is going on the Today's show though going to give them the answers they seek?

I've seen people use news outlets and venues such that we are talking about usually in a way to warn other people like "it could happen to you, only takes a split second, keep your guard up, etc"

Now if that's what they may be doing I get it but if this is more about what a cruise line could have done differently I view that as differently. Most often that's just going to lead to he said/she said situations and really what good does that do in the immediate wake of this to go on an outlet that can be viewed by millions and millions of people if you're still very much grieving? And has the investigation even been completed?

Everyone is going to be different so I can’t answer for them. I know how I would do thing and you know how you would do things but that doesn’t mean they will do anything like either of us.

I didn’t mean going on the Today show would give them answers. More that they think they have answers.

But if they do feel strongly that the grandfather did nothing wrong, maybe it’s to clear the air and stop accusations. Not saying he didn’t, but if it’s their opinion that he didn’t.

Oh, so they are trying to shame RCL for something that the GF did?
My best guess -- not that I have any inside information:

The family knows that the grandfather did something he shouldn't have done. He picked up the girl so she could reach the window; otherwise, she would've been perfectly safe. BUT it's hard to live with a loved one having made such a big mistake ... so they've decided to blame the cruise line ... and the lawyer is pushing them towards that belief.

Blaming someone else is a coping mechanism. Their other option is to hate the grandfather.

Everyone is going to be different so I can’t answer for them. I know how I would do thing and you know how you would do things but that doesn’t mean they will do anything like either of us.

I didn’t mean going on the Today show would give them answers. More that they think they have answers.
But if they do feel strongly that the grandfather did nothing wrong, maybe it’s to clear the air and stop accusations. Not saying he didn’t, but if it’s their opinion that he didn’t.
It may be that they have decided they have something to say so they have agreed to an interview. I think it's very unwise, particularly while the investigation continues.
A brief statement might have sufficed and given them some time and privacy.

Going on the Today Show etc is a tactic to drum up sympathy so that the cruise line will settle a lawsuit, rather than have the bad publicity.

The incident happened at 4:30 pm on embarkation day. The safety drill would have been scheduled for later.

The safety drill does not go over things like if you open both doors at the same time, you'll create a wind tunnel. Nor does it say not to stand on railings. The safety drill only goes over where to go for your lifeboat and how to put on a lifejacket.

Any lawsuits would be filed in Florida.

I really have to believe that the majority of people who have heard about this story do NOT think the cruise line is to blame, in any way. Not sure what the point of going on talk shows is at this moment in time. I don't think anything they say will convince the public at large that this was not the GFs fault.

I really have to believe that the majority of people who have heard about this story do NOT think the cruise line is to blame, in any way. Not sure what the point of going on talk shows is at this moment in time. I don't think anything they say will convince the public at large that this was not the GFs fault.
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. This thread has shown that many people will buy what they're selling. There are people on this thread who have seen the tinting on the windows & still believe someone could mistake an open window for a heavily tinted window. Post #320 should have convinced them of that, but they're still saying it's possible that the GF didn't realize the window was open. If they still believe that, people who haven't seen the windows definitely will.

FWIW, I really feel sorry for the GF. I had nothing but sympathy for the parents, until I saw they were going on the Today show.

The safety drill does not go over things like if you open both doors at the same time, you'll create a wind tunnel. Nor does it say not to stand on railings. The safety drill only goes over where to go for your lifeboat and how to put on a lifejacket.
It depends on the cruise line. Princess definitely tells you multiple times to never sit on a rail or place children on the rail "even if you are holding them".

Going on the Today Show etc is a tactic to drum up sympathy so that the cruise line will settle a lawsuit, rather than have the bad publicity.
It's exactly this.

I wonder if they have watched the video yet... the last I heard, was they (the parents and grandfather) had all refused to watch it, seems like that would provide answers to some questions.

The absolute last thing I would want to do in the wake of such a tragedy is go on the Today Show. Honestly. It has barely been 2 weeks. If they want a break, they would stay out of the public eye.

I agree. I can't imagine going on the Today show if something like that happened to me. I agree that blaming the cruise line is probably a coping mechanism to avoid blaming the grandfather, but I think the TV appearance is more likely to make them look callous and out for money than anything else.

My opinion is that the grandfather had a tragic accident, just as if the little girl was killed in a car crash with him driving. He made (probably a series of) bad decisions. But we've all made bad decisions - or tired mistakes, while driving or whatever, and usually been lucky. He wasn't, and the guilt must be overwhelming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter