The Walking Dead on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I said, was "which I suspect many viewers will decide to call a 'drop in quality'". So you'd have to ask the folks who decide to call those changes a 'drop in quality' what they mean. My point is simply that there will be natural changes that we can reasonably expect from a series that is going from a 6-episode mini-series into an open-ended long-running series, with a plan for a 13-episode second season but intentions for the story to continue for an indefinite period of time after that, and that some people will choose to ignore the realities of that conversion and summarily judge the show negatively for no actual reason other than that it changed from a mini-series into a long-running series.

Yes, I'm being rather pessimistic about the nature of the sentiments of some of the fans of the series, but I have good reason: I've seen it happen many times before - fans of a series failing to acknowledge the realities that must naturally have impact on the object of their affection. It's kind of like a married couple divorcing after a year or two because of irreconcilable differences, or some-such, when the reality is simply that one spouse grew as a person, and the other spouse became disillusioned that s/he was "no longer the person I married". Forrest Church taught us that everything changes (and ends), and that if there must be fault for disillusionment with change (there doesn't have to be fault, by the way), then the fault rests on those who don't accommodate for the possibility of change.

So be prepared for changes in The Walking Dead. Be prepared for it to become more like a long-running series rather than a very long movie. Cast and crew are probably making arrangements to adjust to living in Georgia a good part of the year, in hopes that they'll have several years of work there. The production team is probably trying to see how each set can be redressed to accommodate a need for a different set later in the season, rather than planning on building new sets for each remote. Heck, they're probably trying to write more of the action with fewer remotes. And so on.... And we viewers also would be well advised to make corresponding changes to our expectations.

I'm sure I would have heard about that if it was the case... I've been watching all my information sources very carefully for that series as much as any other.

What I said, was "which I suspect many viewers will decide to call a 'drop in quality'". So you'd have to ask the folks who decide to call those changes a 'drop in quality' what they mean. My point is simply that there will be natural changes that we can reasonably expect from a series that is going from a 6-episode mini-series into an open-ended long-running series, with a plan for a 13-episode second season but intentions for the story to continue for an indefinite period of time after that, and that some people will choose to ignore the realities of that conversion and summarily judge the show negatively for no actual reason other than that it changed from a mini-series into a long-running series.

Yes, I'm being rather pessimistic about the nature of the sentiments of some of the fans of the series, but I have good reason: I've seen it happen many times before - fans of a series failing to acknowledge the realities that must naturally have impact on the object of their affection. It's kind of like a married couple divorcing after a year or two because of irreconcilable differences, or some-such, when the reality is simply that one spouse grew as a person, and the other spouse became disillusioned that s/he was "no longer the person I married". Forrest Church taught us that everything changes (and ends), and that if there must be fault for disillusionment with change (there doesn't have to be fault, by the way), then the fault rests on those who don't accommodate for the possibility of change.

So be prepared for changes in The Walking Dead. Be prepared for it to become more like a long-running series rather than a very long movie. Cast and crew are probably making arrangements to adjust to living in Georgia a good part of the year, in hopes that they'll have several years of work there. The production team is probably trying to see how each set can be redressed to accommodate a need for a different set later in the season, rather than planning on building new sets for each remote. Heck, they're probably trying to write more of the action with fewer remotes. And so on.... And we viewers also would be well advised to make corresponding changes to our expectations.

I think there will be more deviations from the graphic novels, but Kirkman is staying strongly involved so I have hope that it will be consistent (if not better). :thumbsup2

Hope is good, as long as it doesn't become expectation. :goodvibes

DH told me last night that there is talk of Stephen King writing an ep for season 2. :thumbsup2

I caught a few a couple episodes here and there, so went out and bought the DVD set. Great show! Now on to my questions...

If the zombie "poison" is in the blood, why aren't they all zombies since they are covered in it from killing them? I know they were so careful to not get it on them in Atlanta, but after the big attack on the hill, they all had it all over them. I haven't gotten to the last episode yet, so maybe it's explained, I don't know.

Can't wait to see what happens with Rick et al. You knew he was gonna find out sooner or later. Why has no one from the camp told him anyway? Are they all that blind that no one knew what was going on with Lori & Shane?

I'm glad to see the dad (whoever the actor is) that is with the son. I loved him in Jericho. He must have a "thing" for end of the world type shows! :rotfl2:

Bumping this up because season 2 starts next Sunday!!:cool1:

I thought people could read through the thread and refresh their memory. Also, if you have comcast, OnDemand has the 1st season available.

I just watched the final episode of season 1, and now I want to know what the Dr. whispered to Rick.

Bumping this up because season 2 starts next Sunday!!:cool1:

I thought people could read through the thread and refresh their memory. Also, if you have comcast, OnDemand has the 1st season available.

I just watched the final episode of season 1, and now I want to know what the Dr. whispered to Rick.

I can tell you in a PM if you want to really know....

PM's sent to those that asked...And how do I know...I looked it up at the end of the last season..

I am going to have to watch the final episode ( at least ) of season 1.. I don't recall the Dr scene people are referring to.
I actually can't remember much from the final episode. these series have way too much time in between seasons!!:rotfl:

can't wait for next sunday! and 2 weeks of scary movies on AMC starts too:thumbsup2

PM's sent to those that asked...And how do I know...I looked it up at the end of the last season..

Thank you! And WOW!!!!

See, that's it, how do you look it up? Does the network put it out there, or is it on a message board like IMDB?

I know what everyone's saying the dr. whispered in Rick's ear. My question is, why would the Dr. assume he doesn't know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter