The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Then I had a few encounters with a serger. I lost the first battle and the second one was nil. I will listen to more videos and keep trying. This is so much harder than it has to be!

Ugh! I'm fighting my sewing machine right now, trying to put together my last two costumes for MW. I just had to order a tiny part from a store in Nebraska! I made thousands of masks in the last three years but NOW it breaks? So annoying!

It IS pretty, with the big purple bow. Perfect for Dopey.

"
"
For real. I'll probably try for it, but won't be heartbroken if I don't get it since I already have 4 costumes prepped and ready to go. *sigh* The only thing that makes me nervous is the shipping because we leave on the 2nd and it says they'll ship "before Christmas" but if that means the 24th and it gets hung up in a processing facility it might get here after we leave.

eta: I'm also imagining how it would look in an outfit for post-race pics with all of the medals......I think I need to revisit the ribbon colors.

Last edited:
I have ears that would match that skirt perfectly. But I am not going to get the skirt. If anyone does and wants to borrow my ears though let me know.

I would LOVE some feedback on a couple of designs I've been working on for my MW costumes. As a refresher, I'm doing the Emotions of Dopey, with mashup costumes of each race's icon character and an emotion from Inside Out.

5K = Pluto + Fear
10K = Chip/Dale + Sadness
Half = Donald + Anger
Full = Mickey/Minnie + DIsgust to castle then switch to Joy

I'm creating a design on my Cricut for each shirt back. That design will be the same for all the races.

I've been trying to figure out how to convey the idea in a simple way. I'm a fairly small person so I don't have a ton of space to work with. I also want it to be fairly obvious that I'm dressed as these characters through the races. My first idea was a tick box for each distance. I kind of like the emotions all together, but does this need more explanation of the concept?

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 7.17.42 PM.png

I also put together this one, which breaks up the emotions and uses a quote from each one that is relevant to why I chose it for that race. I lose the tick boxes due to space, but not sure I hate that. I also really like using quotes from the characters, but does that make it too busy?

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 8.01.20 PM.png

I am open to any and all feedback and ideas. I'm creative but not really a designer, so if I'm missing an obvious trick to make this simple and understandable, please help!

I would LOVE some feedback on a couple of designs I've been working on for my MW costumes. As a refresher, I'm doing the Emotions of Dopey, with mashup costumes of each race's icon character and an emotion from Inside Out.

5K = Pluto + Fear
10K = Chip/Dale + Sadness
Half = Donald + Anger
Full = Mickey/Minnie + DIsgust to castle then switch to Joy

I'm creating a design on my Cricut for each shirt back. That design will be the same for all the races.

I've been trying to figure out how to convey the idea in a simple way. I'm a fairly small person so I don't have a ton of space to work with. I also want it to be fairly obvious that I'm dressed as these characters through the races. My first idea was a tick box for each distance. I kind of like the emotions all together, but does this need more explanation of the concept?

View attachment 723718

I also put together this one, which breaks up the emotions and uses a quote from each one that is relevant to why I chose it for that race. I lose the tick boxes due to space, but not sure I hate that. I also really like using quotes from the characters, but does that make it too busy?

View attachment 723719

I am open to any and all feedback and ideas. I'm creative but not really a designer, so if I'm missing an obvious trick to make this simple and understandable, please help!
My random thoughts... I like the quotes, but it does make it busy. While moving on the race course, others behind you might not be able to read the quotes and the characters are smaller. I think I like the first one with the larger characters better. Is there a way that you could move Joy to the end so that you end the marathon with Joy? If space is a concern you could change the title to "My Dopey Emotions". That also might suggest a little more that your costume is partly that feeling. You could also say half instead of half marathon to make font sizes consistent. I don't know if the check boxes are necessary. I feel like the race distance under each character gets the point across.

Whatever you decide on, it's going to be awesome. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it all put together!

I also like the tick boxes but agree that Joy should be the last character in line. Could you do each character’s quote separately on the front of the shirt? I think that would be neat!

If I had not read your thought process on the board, I don't think I'd understand that you associate each race distance with a specific emotion. I'm not the most versed in Disney lore: obscure or niche costumes usually make me more curious, yet puzzled.

So for that reason, I prefer the one with the quotes.

Whatever you decide on, it's going to be awesome. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it all put together!
I also think that associating an emotion with each race distance is awesome.

Are you set on having them all be on each shirt for all 4 days? If you just put that day's emotion on each shirt that might help with the "busy" feeling you have, and you'd have more room for your quote.

THANK YOU all for the super helpful feedback!

My random thoughts... I like the quotes, but it does make it busy. While moving on the race course, others behind you might not be able to read the quotes and the characters are smaller. I think I like the first one with the larger characters better. Is there a way that you could move Joy to the end so that you end the marathon with Joy? If space is a concern you could change the title to "My Dopey Emotions". That also might suggest a little more that your costume is partly that feeling. You could also say half instead of half marathon to make font sizes consistent. I don't know if the check boxes are necessary. I feel like the race distance under each character gets the point across.

This is all one big graphic, so the characters are where they are, but I could build it with separate graphics. It also bugs me that it doesn't end with Joy.
I also toyed with the "Half" and agree the sizes should be consistent so I'm going to do that for sure. Readability is a huge concern, which is I think what's bugging me about the quotes.

I also like the tick boxes but agree that Joy should be the last character in line. Could you do each character’s quote separately on the front of the shirt? I think that would be neat!

I can't really do anything on the front because most of the shirts are sublimated character shirts with pretty heavy design elements on the front. I just don't think it'll be readable.

If I had not read your thought process on the board, I don't think I'd understand that you associate each race distance with a specific emotion. I'm not the most versed in Disney lore: obscure or niche costumes usually make me more curious, yet puzzled.

So for that reason, I prefer the one with the quotes.

I also think that associating an emotion with each race distance is awesome.

I'm so glad someone weighed in who isn't as familiar with the characters! Do you think I need to identify the name of each emotion along with the distance? And if I did that, would it eliminate the need for the quotes?

Are you set on having them all be on each shirt for all 4 days? If you just put that day's emotion on each shirt that might help with the "busy" feeling you have, and you'd have more room for your quote.

Hmmm good point. I think I've been fixated on the continuous theme being obvious, but I suppose it doesn't really matter, right? Or maybe I could do different designs that highlight that race's emotion(s), use the quote(s) and then maybe a smaller line of the emojis with the distances for the other races. I'll play with this!

Hmmm good point. I think I've been fixated on the continuous theme being obvious, but I suppose it doesn't really matter, right? Or maybe I could do different designs that highlight that race's emotion(s), use the quote(s) and then maybe a smaller line of the emojis with the distances for the other races. I'll play with this!
I really like this idea of putting the focus on the emotion of that race. You could put the other characters smaller but have a bigger image of the main character and quote. The quotes help explain how the emotions tie to the race so I'd try to keep them if you can.

I really like this idea of putting the focus on the emotion of that race. You could put the other characters smaller but have a bigger image of the main character and quote. The quotes help explain how the emotions tie to the race so I'd try to keep them if you can.

The more I think about it, the more I like this too. I'm going to play with this design when I get time tonight.

Late in the reply… I like the simple graphic with checkboxes. If you want quotes, why not use the back of the shirt? They would vary at each races.

ETA: Don’t forget to keep space for your bib!

Late in the reply… I like the simple graphic with checkboxes. If you want quotes, why not use the back of the shirt? They would vary at each races.

ETA: Don’t forget to keep space for your bib!

These would be on the back of the shirt, to avoid bib issues but also because most of my shirts are pretty elaborate on the front. I don't think a design would be readable. Appreciate the feedback!

A few more options I've been playing with. These designs are for the back of each costume shirt.

First, a slightly different version of the checkbox version, and one with the emotions spelled out:

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 6.13.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 6.16.29 PM.png

Then I messed with options that highlight one race. I still think this may be a bit busy.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 5.49.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 5.57.15 PM.png

And finally a simplified version that uses color to highlight each race.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.27.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.29.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.30.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.32.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.33.10 PM.png

I'm leaning toward the last set, but I'm not sure if I'm just tired of trying or really like it. Bonus, this would also be the easiest to make!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter