The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

I ordered this skirt during the Black Friday sale because it reminded me of Sorcerer Mickey.

View attachment 721580

If I can find a good red tank top I’m thinking this could be one of my MW costumes, but I think it might be pretty plain with just a tank and skirt. Thoughts? I don’t want to carry anything. I don’t run in hats, but would a headband make it better? Am I overthinking this?

I’m still debating on doing some sort of a Dopey themed costume for the marathon, but I like this idea for the marathon too since it’s Mickey and Minnie’s race… :scratchin
You could add some coordinating calf sleeves. If you want to wear Minnie ears, there are some super cute sorcerer Mickey ones on Etsy. Or just a coordinating running headband would add a fun splash of color. DH and I were Sorcerer Mickey one race and found real rope at JoAnns that worked well, but it was only a 10k! We got white gloves on Amazon and used black puff paint to make the black lines like Mickey has.

I think it's a great marathon weekend outfit since you can easily add warmer clothes like pants instead of shorts under the skirt and put a long sleeve shirt under the tank!

If I can find a good red tank top I’m thinking this could be one of my MW costumes, but I think it might be pretty plain with just a tank and skirt. Thoughts? I don’t want to carry anything. I don’t run in hats, but would a headband make it better? Am I overthinking this?
Cute skirt and it's perfect for Sorcerer Mickey! I'm not a fan of the Dopey character so I have gone Mickey/Minnie themed for my two full marathons at Disney.

accessories really plus up a costume (and i'm terrible at accessories) so I think it just depends on how hard you want to go at the costume. I know there's at least one red tank on etsy that has the rope belt printed on it in DreamItbyYLW (you could use *real* rope with just a red tank/top.) ,I'm pretty sure runsewsweet had one too. When you say "headband" do you mean a flat fabric one or like with ears or a plastic one with a little sorcerer mickey hat on it? That could be really cute, just be sure you have a way to carry it if you take it off during the race.
Accessories are definitely the way to push this to costume level. A lightweight gold cord as a belt, loosely tied, could work great if it doesn't drive you crazy. You could buy a yard or two from a fabric shop, tie knots in the ends and fray them a bit.

You could add some coordinating calf sleeves. If you want to wear Minnie ears, there are some super cute sorcerer Mickey ones on Etsy. Or just a coordinating running headband would add a fun splash of color. DH and I were Sorcerer Mickey one race and found real rope at JoAnns that worked well, but it was only a 10k! We got white gloves on Amazon and used black puff paint to make the black lines like Mickey has.

I think it's a great marathon weekend outfit since you can easily add warmer clothes like pants instead of shorts under the skirt and put a long sleeve shirt under the tank!

Adding optional layers for weather conditions that are also real running clothes are also an easy way to add details.

I also hate carrying things and am hyper aware of things on my head, so I always have a way to take things off and attach them to myself -- a small elastic loop that can clip to a skinny belt or even a carabiner for something a little heavier. (A regular skinny belt from a thrift store can easily fit under a layer and you'll never even feel it.)

I'm sure you know this, but whatever you decide, do at least one test run in it! And if it's for the marathon, wear it for at least an hour or two

accessories really plus up a costume (and i'm terrible at accessories) so I think it just depends on how hard you want to go at the costume. I know there's at least one red tank on etsy that has the rope belt printed on it in DreamItbyYLW (you could use *real* rope with just a red tank/top.) ,I'm pretty sure runsewsweet had one too. When you say "headband" do you mean a flat fabric one or like with ears or a plastic one with a little sorcerer mickey hat on it? That could be really cute, just be sure you have a way to carry it if you take it off during the race.
Thank you! I ended up ordering a plain red tank top at 60% off from Fabletics, I’m thinking if I like it I might add a lightweight rope with two loops on the side to hold it in place. I just have to consider bib placement. I was thinking a flat fabric headband; as much as I love ears and they’d probably be a really great addition to the costume, I don’t think I’d be able to do the 26.2 with them on my head, and I don’t want race photos holding them :rotfl2:

I don’t know if Whosits & whatsits still has their sorcerer Mickey inspired gaiter in stock it may not be as moister wicking as some sports headbands but I’ve used mine as a headband in the parks for bounding
I couldn’t find what shop this is, but that’s an interesting idea I never would’ve thought of!

I wasn’t even thinking about layering, these are all great points! Thanks for the gloves idea, I’m adding that to my notes for cold weather items.

Cute skirt and it's perfect for Sorcerer Mickey! I'm not a fan of the Dopey character so I have gone Mickey/Minnie themed for my two full marathons at Disney.

Accessories are definitely the way to push this to costume level. A lightweight gold cord as a belt, loosely tied, could work great if it doesn't drive you crazy. You could buy a yard or two from a fabric shop, tie knots in the ends and fray them a bit.

Adding optional layers for weather conditions that are also real running clothes are also an easy way to add details.

I also hate carrying things and am hyper aware of things on my head, so I always have a way to take things off and attach them to myself -- a small elastic loop that can clip to a skinny belt or even a carabiner for something a little heavier. (A regular skinny belt from a thrift store can easily fit under a layer and you'll never even feel it.)

I'm sure you know this, but whatever you decide, do at least one test run in it! And if it's for the marathon, wear it for at least an hour or two
I’m not a fan either, but I was starting to feel like I should do some sort of purple and green color scheme costume since it’ll be my first and likely only Dopey Challenge. But with all of the advice here, I’m excited about my Sorcerer Mickey idea and I’m sticking with that! Thanks for the tips, I’m still debating on what accessories to use but I plan to test them out ahead of time!

I am sad because the costumes I ordered don’t fit (they’re too tight and just don’t make me feel good at all) and I just tried to go to a seamstress who said they can’t be fixed because there’s no extra fabric.

Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry. Here to help brainstorm creative costume solutions when/if you're ready!
And hey, I'm making my own and still had to recut the top three times because I somehow can't measure my own chest. SMH

Thanks. I don’t really know what to do. They were for the 5k and 10k.
Is it too late to return and rebuy? Or were they custom and can’t be returned?

Can you use a different seamstress that’d be willing to be a little creative (maybe adding extra fabric that coordinates with the original)? I’m no seamstress so this might be impossible, just trying to think of options!

ETA: Thinking of the positives, at least you know now and have time to make adjustments vs finding out days before race weekend!

My adult daughter and I are doing the half during marathon weekend. We have narrowed down to 3 options and looking for opinions on what would be interesting, fun, recognizable, etc. These are in no particular order.
  • Goofy and Max
  • Pink Donut and Joffrey’s Coffee
  • Dinosaur and Dr. Seeker
I can attach some mock ups if anyone is interested in what these might look like for us. Thanks for any input!

My adult daughter and I are doing the half during marathon weekend. We have narrowed down to 3 options and looking for opinions on what would be interesting, fun, recognizable, etc. These are in no particular order.
  • Goofy and Max
I can attach some mock ups if anyone is interested in what these might look like for us. Thanks for any input!
For the overall 90s vibes of the race I would go for goofy and max however the other options are also clever and more unique as I’m sure others will be drawing inspiration from Disney afternoon & other 90s media

Yea I’m sorry I am being just as indecisive and can’t wait to see what you ultimately decide

• Goofy and Max
I think Goofy and Max would really tie into the 90s theme, and be awesome besides

• Goofy and Max
Goofy and Max would be super fun and I think have a high chance of being on-course character meets. Dinosaur is my favorite ride so I love the Dr. Seeker idea, especially if you yell out during the race "we're not gonna make it! We're not gonna make it!" :P

• Goofy and Max
I love the idea of a dinosaur and Dr. Seeker. That would be fun to see on the race course.

If anyone is looking for a t-shirt for a Belle costume, let me know. The one I ordered was too small and not returnable :-( I got it in a bigger size, but I'd love to recoup my cost on the one I can't wear. I can send pics if anyone is interested. It's yellow with a red rose (printed).

If anyone is looking for a t-shirt for a Belle costume, let me know. The one I ordered was too small and not returnable :-( I got it in a bigger size, but I'd love to recoup my cost on the one I can't wear. I can send pics if anyone is interested. It's yellow with a red rose (printed).
Paging @Herding_Cats in case you're still looking for options. (Though I think the blue shirt is perfect!)

• Goofy and Max

If you want to be recognized and on-theme, go with Goofy & Max. If you want to be recognized and unique, donut & coffee. While I would expect some others there as Goofy & Max, I doubt anyone will be donut and Joffrey's, and that's super clever and cute.

I think Dr Seeker is awesome, but as someone who LOVES a clever, obscure character costume, it's always a little frustrating when nobody gets it. And I'm always surprised how much people do NOT get. You have to keep it super simple if you want folks to know what it is. That said, when someone DOES get it, it's always an amazing experience.

So think about what you want your time in the corrals and on the course to be like. Do you want lots of comments? Pictures with similar characters (either Disney or other racers)? Recognition from the stage or Disney photographers? Or do you prefer to be a nice surprise for those who recognize you?

I would personally go with pink donut & Joffrey's because it's the right combination of recognizable and unique. Again, assuming whatever you're doing is comfortable enough to wear for the race!

CQOTD (costume question of the day): How long do you try out your costume for before race day?

I took my Mickey skirt out for a 60-minute run this morning and everything was good. Is that enough to say it will be fine for the marathon? Or do I need to try it for a longer run?

CQOTD (costume question of the day): How long do you try out your costume for before race day?

I took my Mickey skirt out for a 60-minute run this morning and everything was good. Is that enough to say it will be fine for the marathon? Or do I need to try it for a longer run?
I do at least an hour, though I typically know pretty quickly. If there are issues, they pop up early on and I can say a yes or no. I test on the treadmill because if something starts chafing or just annoying the heck out of me, I can change out of whatever is driving me nuts. If it passes the treadmill test, I take it outside where I can't control the conditions.

ATTCQOTD: if it’s something unlike anything I’ve worn before, and it’s for a race longer than a 5K, I test it for at least an hour. If I’ve worn the same basic thing before, I don’t bother, other than making sure that the shorts/leggings fit properly and don’t feel like they’ll fall down (yay for inconsistent sizing 🙄)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter