The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Costume help needed!

I finally got my red tanktop in the mail. Going for a Sorcerer Mickey look, after being inspired by the Sparkle Athletic skirt. I have the following items (none of these images are my own):
8F599728-D682-4691-83BA-0C909ED824C8.jpegABB11E53-928C-4B09-B2BD-09B369124CED.jpeg43864067-D8A3-4276-AB0F-82478CDC88AC.jpeg
Although the tank looks somewhat orange in the picture, it is a nice red color in person (the color is electric cherry from Fabletics). It’s super lightweight and I think it’ll be perfect if the weather is warm for the marathon. I’m planning to buy cheap robe from a craft store to tie around my waist.

My concern is, once I put it on I got more of an American flag vibe vs Sorcerer Mickey. I’m starting to feel like I need the hat or ears, but I‘m very hesitant to wear either for an entire marathon.

I did find this cheap pair of Sorcerer Mickey inspired ears on Etsy, so I’m thinking cheap might mean lightweight, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. It’s basically my costume idea on ears so it might not even give the desired effect.
1C4C7E30-9224-48BA-BF8D-7120CCC23CBD.jpeg

The ears that had the hat in the center had delivery estimates that were too close for comfort to MW. Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

ETA: I just found an alternative ear option on Etsy. Ears that are on an adjustable headband, which sounds more comfortable for running, I could get the black ears with no bow, or add the bow in any of the following colors. I wonder if the black ears with no bow would help, or if it would look like I forgot to add the hat. I’m way too indecisive!
0867F8FD-068B-4916-80E5-5B83D6AE6973.jpegAC3645EA-43C2-41E5-A388-6FC2DADBAF0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Costume help needed!

I finally got my red tanktop in the mail. Going for a Sorcerer Mickey look, after being inspired by the Sparkle Athletic skirt. I have the following items (none of these images are my own):
View attachment 724128View attachment 724129View attachment 724130
Although the tank looks somewhat orange in the picture, it is a nice red color in person (the color is electric cherry from Fabletics). It’s super lightweight and I think it’ll be perfect if the weather is warm for the marathon. I’m planning to buy cheap robe from a craft store to tie around my waist.

My concern is, once I put it on I got more of an American flag vibe vs Sorcerer Mickey. I’m starting to feel like I need the hat or ears, but I‘m very hesitant to wear either for an entire marathon.

I did find this cheap pair of Sorcerer Mickey inspired ears on Etsy, so I’m thinking cheap might mean lightweight, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. It’s basically my costume idea on ears so it might not even give the desired effect.
View attachment 724133

The ears that had the hat in the center had delivery estimates that were too close for comfort to MW. Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

ETA: I just found an alternative ear option on Etsy. Ears that are on an adjustable headband, which sounds more comfortable for running, I could get the black ears with no bow, or add the bow in any of the following colors. I wonder if the black ears with no bow would help, or if it would look like I forgot to add the hat. I’m way too indecisive!
View attachment 724142View attachment 724143
I think plain ears will get the point across. I Disney-bounded as Sorcerer Mickey with just a blue tank top, red flowy sleeveless cardigan, and Mickey ears, and a CM at Animal Kingdom recognized it.

Costume help needed!

View attachment 724128View attachment 724129View attachment 724130

View attachment 724133

View attachment 724142View attachment 724143

Maybe at a generic race you'd be mistaken for patriotic, but I think at WDW they will know who you are. The detail of the rope should cinch it for anyone who is confused. I don't think you need a hat or ears, but I'm all for additional details to pull a costume together. I really like the little touch of the rope on the bow, which would be super easy to add to those headband ears! You could skip a bow and just tie a bit of the rope around the base of one ear, or tack it around the headband part with a hand stitch or some fabric glue. OR what about using the rope as part of a hair tie (assuming you aren't running with your hair down)? The rope alone may not hold well but you could loop it around and through a ponytail held with a regular tie.

Moving away from head gear, you could also look to get temporary tattoos of moons and stars (and maybe a shape that looks like the sorcerer hat) to put down your arms, or use fabric paint and a simple cardboard stencil to add some to the shirt. I think what's pushing you patriotic is the absence of moons from the pattern in the skirt. II also think JUST using rope might take it to Wonder Woman for some people.) EDIT TO ADD you could also accomplish this with arm sleeves and calf sleeves or socks with that same pattern, but that's also gambling it won't be too warm to wear those.

96F1FF3D-2E84-412B-9EE4-597DABCAA877.jpeg
Did a treadmill run for my 4 miles today to test my marathon “costume.” The skirt didn’t bother me at all, but the tulle in the back sometimes pushed up underneath the waistband. Maybe this is because my butt is huge? (Which the skirt definitely accentuates… oh well.) hmmm…

I wish my shirt had a cute message but I put myself on a spending ban for the rest of the month so I’ll deal with it. You can’t really tell but the hat is from Crowned Athletics and has little princess icons all over it.

View attachment 724200
Did a treadmill run for my 4 miles today to test my marathon “costume.” The skirt didn’t bother me at all, but the tulle in the back sometimes pushed up underneath the waistband. Maybe this is because my butt is huge? (Which the skirt definitely accentuates… oh well.) hmmm…

I wish my shirt had a cute message but I put myself on a spending ban for the rest of the month so I’ll deal with it. You can’t really tell but the hat is from Crowned Athletics and has little princess icons all over it.

Super cute! For the tulle, safety pins are your friend. I'm not sure how it's constructed, but if you can, line up a few safety pins down the inside from top to bottom and pin the tulle to the inner or outer layer of the skirt to hold it in place.

I don't know if you have a design in mind for the shirt, but you could DIY it with some printable iron-on material from an office supply store pretty cheaply. If you have a home printer, you just print out the design and use your iron to apply it. It may not look perfect, but it would last for your race day at least.

Cool we will have a lot of Jessie in 2023! Since this will be for our last race, we are advancing the other ones. Shirts are finished for the Springtime 5k, we have Minnie Ears to do.

Then I had a few encounters with a serger. I lost the first battle and the second one was nil. I will listen to more videos and keep trying. This is so much harder than it has to be!
Let me know if you need any help with the serger. I’m far from an expert, but have managed to reach myself to sew clothes for my kids and now workout clothes too.

Less than two weeks left before going to my parents house for Christmas followed by MW seemed like the right time to start cutting fabric for my Dopey outfits and my son and husbands outfits for the 5k. I’m not ambitious about costumes though, and am just making regular workout clothes in themed fabric. So my plan is to sew everything for the 5k, test is out, and then sew the rest of it. Wish me luck! Hopefully I don’t need to take my sewing machines to my parents house…

Time for my first real costume test run for MW! I wrote up the details on my training hournal, so I'll just drop the quote with images and links in here:

Sunday: 7 miles M Tempo + Nutrition.
For this run, I did a costume test for the MW Half. This one is the Anger + Donald mashup. I have a poly blend sublimated dye t-shirt, my Brooks undershorts with pockets, my Etsy Donald tutu and feathered duck tail, yellow calf sleeves and a light-up Anger headband I found on my last trip to WDW.

20221211_111749.jpg 20221211_111809.jpg

Caption: Photo of my costume, including a second where you can see the tail better.

I was most concerned about the headband as it's hard plastic and made for kids (though I have a kid-sized head), but it was far more comfortable than I thought and did NOT move at all! I'm going to glue some padding to the bottom of the bands where it overlaps my glasses and a bit at the very top for the top of my head, but it should be good. It has three different light settings, and I think I like the second one best as it looks a bit more like actual flames flickering.

Video of the Anger headband going through the light settings.

The issue was the duck tail was hitting me in the small of the back AND shedding feathers like crazy. (My cats were loving it!) It attaches with a large pin and an elastic belt around the waist, so I'll just move it lower on the tutu and it should be fine. I did take it off about 30 minutes into the run just to preserve as many feathers as possible. I may very well end the Half with a naked duck tail!

The shirt is a bit warm, but it is breathable. And there's plenty of room on the back for my design.

anger_NWHAlf.png

Caption: Image of the design for the back of my Half shirt for Marathon Weekend.

It's Anger's shirt and tie. I'm going for a mashup of the emotion from Inside Out that I've assigned to that race with that race's signature character. For the Half, that's Donald.

View attachment 724791
I was also confused about the shirt, maybe it was the angle but it didn't look tie shaped. I'm sure it's better in person!

I love your little feather tail 😍. It's so darn cute. I hope it makes it at least to the start line.

I know it's very late in the game, but I would not have understood the bottom of you was Donald without the explanation. I guess I was expecting more intermixing of the two characters ( I.e. Donald dressed as anger or vice versa). I'm not trying to be negative, just wanted to provide some feedback in case there are some details you could add to make it more clear. Maybe a duck bill? Or something blue to represent Donald's shirt/hat?

I was also confused about the shirt, maybe it was the angle but it didn't look tie shaped. I'm sure it's better in person!

I love your little feather tail 😍. It's so darn cute. I hope it makes it at least to the start line.

I know it's very late in the game, but I would not have understood the bottom of you was Donald without the explanation. I guess I was expecting more intermixing of the two characters ( I.e. Donald dressed as anger or vice versa). I'm not trying to be negative, just wanted to provide some feedback in case there are some details you could add to make it more clear. Maybe a duck bill? Or something blue to represent Donald's shirt/hat?​

I appreciate the constructive feedback, truly! I'll see what I can do with a few more details to build more Donald into it. Thanks!

And this is the shot of the shirt from the shop page. It's a bit oversized on me but basically looks like this straight on:

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 11.58.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Two mini-rants from me, as we get close (and I love living vicariously through those of you doing more elaborate costumes! We're totally overwhelmed just with training, so our costumes are pretty minimalist).
1) I bought a hat off Etsy for my husband's Pooh "costume" (yellow shorts, red shirt, yellow pooh hat to which I will attach ears) and timing was already a bit tight, but now our mailbox has been broken into, so I'm a bit worried about receiving it (we'll likely need to do pickups at the post office but they haven't shared the specifics yet). I think I might make a backup as he also has a huge head and I'm worried the etsy hat won't fit.
2) I've been planning to sew ears and a bow to a running hat for my Marathon Minnie outfit, but realized upon seeing the marathon map screen shots today that some versions show a pink bow (see my avatar), and some show yellow

yellow-bow.jpg

Now I don't know which to use. I might make both bows and decide last minute. Feel free to share colour thoughts with me! :-)
I look forward to seeing everyone's costumes in person!!

Two mini-rants from me, as we get close (and I love living vicariously through those of you doing more elaborate costumes! We're totally overwhelmed just with training, so our costumes are pretty minimalist).
1) I bought a hat off Etsy for my husband's Pooh "costume" (yellow shorts, red shirt, yellow pooh hat to which I will attach ears) and timing was already a bit tight, but now our mailbox has been broken into, so I'm a bit worried about receiving it (we'll likely need to do pickups at the post office but they haven't shared the specifics yet). I think I might make a backup as he also has a huge head and I'm worried the etsy hat won't fit.
2) I've been planning to sew ears and a bow to a running hat for my Marathon Minnie outfit, but realized upon seeing the marathon map screen shots today that some versions show a pink bow (see my avatar), and some show yellow

View attachment 725069

Now I don't know which to use. I might make both bows and decide last minute. Feel free to share colour thoughts with me! :-)
I look forward to seeing everyone's costumes in person!!

For the Pooh hat, can you find a generic red or yellow baseball cap in case the Etsy one doesn't arrive or doesn't fit? It sounds like you're basically Disney Bounding anyway, so it doesn't have to be a literal representation or say "Pooh" on it. I'd bet Amazon has something you could get in time, but you could also check around locally at a sporting goods store, Target, Walmart, Dollar Store, thrift shop, etc.

As for the bow, again, don't stress too much about matching. With a bow, everybody is going to know it's Minnie. If I'm picking, I'm probably going traditional red, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter