The Running Thread - 2021

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I figure it can't hurt to ask again:
I'm thinking of trying to mix in some real food in my in-race nutrition plan, along with Maurten gels. Maurten gels are less sweet than other gels, so I have a little bit easier time taking in more than like 2 over the course of a long race, but I'm thinking during a marathon I may want to mix it up with some actual food one or two times in there. Does anybody do this and what do you use?

A few years ago I experimented with raisins during a long run and let's just say that was a TERRIBLE idea. For me at least. I was thinking of peanut butter pretzel nuggets? But those are kind of dry.

I'm thinking during a marathon I may want to mix it up with some actual food one or two times in there. Does anybody do this and what do you use?
During the last two marathons I ran with a PB&J sandwich in my pocket (queue the bad jokes...). One was made at home, and the other was a Smucker's Uncrustable. They both tasted absolutely terrific around mile 18 or 20 and my stomach tolerated them just fine. Fortunately my running shorts have big pockets.

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I figure it can't hurt to ask again:
I'm thinking of trying to mix in some real food in my in-race nutrition plan, along with Maurten gels. Maurten gels are less sweet than other gels, so I have a little bit easier time taking in more than like 2 over the course of a long race, but I'm thinking during a marathon I may want to mix it up with some actual food one or two times in there. Does anybody do this and what do you use?
I’ve been thinking about this too! I’m glad you asked, because looking at the timing for my race (too late to try to plan real food at this point I think) I’m going to be running on a 5am breakfast, until probably 1 or 2pm plus tailwind and gu. And now that I type that out, it sounds awful. Ugh. Maybe I should try something tomorrow.

During the last two marathons I ran with a PB&J sandwich in my pocket (queue the bad jokes...). One was made at home, and the other was a Smucker's Uncrustable. They both tasted absolutely terrific around mile 18 or 20 and my stomach tolerated them just fine. Fortunately my running shorts have big pockets.
I KNEW someone had posted something about pbj and marathons in the past. Must have been you.

A few years ago I experimented with raisins during a long run and let's just say that was a TERRIBLE idea. For me at least. I was thinking of peanut butter pretzel nuggets? But those are kind of dry.
Fig Newtons. I use the whole wheat variety. Cut each one in half, in the way that doesn't make it leak. Sprinkle with salt. Stuff in a baggie. Put in a pocket. Stuff you eat during a race isn't going to cause carb-unloading events.

I used to use peanut butter pretzels. I would alternate them with chews. After a few marathons, at the later part of the race I would struggle to eat them, because they didn’t sound good because they were dry - so I either forced myself to eat them or skipped nutrition. I eventually stopped using them.

Re: running shoes. I usually have 3 pairs in rotation. Currently I have 4 but one is really at the end of it's life and I only use them for short runs maybe once a week. My reserve stash gets built up when the older version of my ghosts goes on sale to make room for the newer models then I work my way through the stash throughout the year. Currently I have 2 pairs in reserve. One in a fun tie-dye print that I loved and had to have even though they were full price and one that will be the shoes to complete my W&D costume. Guess it is about time to break those out so they aren't brand new on race day! Yay new shoes!

During the last two marathons I ran with a PB&J sandwich in my pocket (queue the bad jokes...). One was made at home, and the other was a Smucker's Uncrustable. They both tasted absolutely terrific around mile 18 or 20 and my stomach tolerated them just fine.

My friend that does IM/triathlons swears by uncrustables. You can eat them in just a few bites and they are sealed around the edges so they don't get stuff sticky.

Wait was the Marine Corps Marathon just canceled? I'm not running it but I saw someone say that on IG. I'm upset just because it makes me nervous for my upcoming races.
Yep. Following the lead from Dayton Air Force marathon which was canceled this month. These are probably the two biggest races that have been recently canceled and they are both connected to the military...

Yep. Following the lead from Dayton Air Force marathon which was canceled this month. These are probably the two biggest races that have been recently canceled and they are both connected to the military...
Tokyo Marathon recently postponed too, that was supposed to be in October. But it was so far from here it didn't make me worry about east coast racing.

Wait was the Marine Corps Marathon just canceled? I'm not running it but I saw someone say that on IG. I'm upset just because it makes me nervous for my upcoming races.
Chicago, Boston, and New York are still on, and I've got the Bronx 10 Miler this weekend. If those go virtual, especially this late into training, that's when I'll be spooked for January. I'm more curious than anything else about why MC was canceled (COVID isn't being mentioned as the reason).

applesauce squeeze packets have been a go to for me this training cycle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter